Mir
Topic Author

NFL Division Weekend Thread

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Four games games this weekend that look to be good ones.

Seattle and Green Bay are playing in a thickening snowstorm at Lambeau (which makes it great to watch), and the Packers are up 42-20 at the start of the 4th quarter.

Jacksonville and New England play later tonight. I hope the Jags pull it out, but they have their work cut out for them.

Tomorrow, it's the Chargers and the Colts, followed by the Giants and the Cowboys. I'd love to see the Colts and Cowboys go down in flames, but I don't think it'll happen.

Post your picks, thoughts, comments, trash talk, etc.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Queso

RE: NFL Division Weekend Thread

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks for starting the thread, Mir!

Quoting Mir (Thread starter):
Seattle and Green Bay are playing in a thickening snowstorm at Lambeau (which makes it great to watch), and the Packers are up 42-20 at the start of the 4th quarter.

Helluva game, now THAT'S football weather! Looks like the Packers are having a lot of fun playing out there! I think they are coming up on a peak and will give Dallas all kinds of hell next week.

I'd love to see the Colts and Cowboys go down in flames, but I don't think it'll happen.

Edited for typo.

[Edited 2008-01-12 16:11:24]

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):
now THAT'S football weather!

yes  When you can't see the field markings, it's got to be good.

The Pack putting up 42 (to this point) is impressive by itself, but particularly so in those conditions.

-Mir

NeilYYZ

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
When you can't see the field markings, it's got to be good.

No doubt!

This Pack Hawks game is fantastic! I'm glad I took the over, seeing as it was hit about 8 minutes into the second.

As for tonights game, I'd like to see New England absolutely whip the Jags six ways to Sunday. After the Jags eliminated Steelers last week I want nothing less that total annihilation by New England  Wink
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

jetblueguy22

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:30 am

Jacksonville and New England play later tonight. I hope the Jags pull it out, but they have their work cut out for them.

Pats all the way. I believe the Pats will pull it out and add another Win to the column. It will be hard for the Jags to pull it out.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:45 am

No words necessary.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

huskyaviation

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 am

Even when it was 14-7, I thought it was going to be the Packers all the way. You could feel the momentum shift right then.

I love watching football in the snow! I wish it was snowing like that here in MD.  Smile

Go Jags, Giants, and Colts!  Big grin

Queso

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:10 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 6):
I love watching football in the snow! I wish it was snowing like that here in MD.

Yeah I wish it was like that here in West Texas, too. It would have been fun shooting in the Practical Pistol match I went to this morning in the snow!

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:15 am

Gonna be a LONG ride back to SEA for the Slowhawks on HA tonight . . . LMAO . . .

Adios Seattle . . .

Next up, well, the Pack gets their asses handed to them by the Cowgirls . . .

Don't want that, but I see it happenin'.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LTU932

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:20 am

Good that the Pack has won. Hopefully they'll kick the Giants? and the Cowgirls's ass next week.

And here's to my hope that JAX can make an upset at Gillette Stadium tonight.  bigthumbsup 

Queso

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:22 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):

Don't want that, but I see it happenin'.

I'm not so sure, they looked pretty damned good tonight. Favre was relaxed and comfortable and when he's like that he's at his very best.

I DO want it, but I'm not sure I see it happening. I wouldn't bet on it either way. Then again, the way Dallas played 2 weeks ago, they won't make it past NY.

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 am

First drives don't get much better than that.

Huge pass play on 4th and 1 (Jack Del Rio certainly has balls), and then the TD pass from Garrard while falling down (which was questionable, but would have been tough to overturn).

7-0 Jax.

-Mir

huskyaviation

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 10):
I'm not so sure, they looked pretty damned good tonight. Favre was relaxed and comfortable and when he's like that he's at his very best.

Ryan Grant looked great after the 2 fumbles. Props to Mike McCarthy for leaving the kid in there and keeping with him. Some coaches might have pulled him early. Favre did look really good, I half-expected him to come out in Favre-style panic mode when it was 14-0, throwing balls where he shouldn't and taking too many chances, but he kept his poise and turned the game around in a hurry.

If the Cowpokes win this week, I give them the edge against GB, particularly given Favre's 0-9 record at the Stadium With the Hole in the Roof. I don't like the Giants chances if they have to go to GB.

I watched "NFL's Greatest Games 1998 NFC Wild Card Game" where the 49ers beat the Packers on the last play of the game, and it renewed my long-standing hatred of Brett Favre and the Packers.  Smile

NeilYYZ

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:30 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
Jack Del Rio certainly has balls

Might as well whip them out against this NE team. It'll take some testicular fortitude to beat them!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Queso

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:37 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 13):
Might as well whip them out against this NE team. It'll take some testicular fortitude to beat them!

Nah, the Ravens almost beat them and they have no...... testicular fotitude!

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:38 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 13):

Pretty much.

Patriots score to tie it up, with their own 4th down conversion.

-Mir

Queso

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:54 am

Jax just lost the game. Their morale has already gone to hell in a handbasket.

aloha73g

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:01 am

Gonna be a LONG ride back to SEA for the Slowhawks on HA tonight . . . LMAO . . .

Seattle is on NW....poor things. HA didn't have an aircraft available for the playoffs.

Bret Favre's pass while evading a sack then running/falling over to save the drive right before half-time was one of the most amazing "saves" I have ever seen. Experience counts at the QB position  Smile

-Aloha!

GO PACK GO!!!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

huskyaviation

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:07 am

Damn, Jax is hanging in there! I'm impressed with David Garrard, he throws a nice ball.

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 18):
Damn, Jax is hanging in there! I'm impressed with David Garrard, he throws a nice ball.

Goo -- Pittsburgh Steelers of the South!! I hope they come on top over the Pats! They can do it!! It's all tied up at 14, but NE has the ball. Hopefully they'll only be confined to a FG after this drive... Hopefully.

JAX better not slow down in the second half. They've seen what the Steelers almost did to them last week, but Tom Brady invented that!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:34 am

Can't complain with a tie score at the half if you're a Jags fan. If you keep it close, you've got a chance.

For the second half, they need to keep doing what they're doing, plus stop letting the Pats gain yards after the first hit.

-Mir

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:46 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
For the second half, they need to keep doing what they're doing, plus stop letting the Pats gain yards after the first hit.

If they can do that, then they should change their name to the Jacksonville Steelers!!  Wink  stirthepot 

Jacksonville should really focus on disquising its defense to try and confuse Tom Brady. Keep moving them around and changing the linups. This usually results in sacks and/or bad throws...

And yeah, basically what you posted. They need to play to win, keep shoving it down Brady and Belichick's throats, humiliate them!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Queso

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:55 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 21):
If they can do that, then they should change their name to the Jacksonville Steelers!!

Hey, be careful how loud you say that.

Signed,
Football fans in Baltimore

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 21):
They need to play to win, keep shoving it down Brady and Belichick's throats, humiliate them!!

But they're not doing it. Every time New England gets the ball, you know it's a touchdown. Jags are down by two scores now, and something different needs to happen on this drive or else this one is over.

-Mir

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:34 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 22):
Hey, be careful how loud you say that.

Haha very funny. You all saw how that team did. They had an identity crisis by the end of the regular season. At least the Jags play that style of football and were more consistent with it than the actual inventors themselves!!

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
But they're not doing it. Every time New England gets the ball, you know it's a touchdown. Jags are down by two scores now, and something different needs to happen on this drive or else this one is over.

Dammit! I like the Jags, and I LOATHE the Pats!

L-188

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:37 am

Adios Seattle . . .

Unfortunately.

Still you have to respect the Seahawk dynasty, 4 division championships, 1 superbowl appearance, consistantly in the playoffs.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:10 am

Disappointing loss, but there's no shame in getting beaten by the best - and New England is a very special team this year.

Not much I can say about the play of the Jaguars - they played well, and they didn't beat themselves. They're a good team, they showed that they can compete with the best, and they've got a great quarterback in Garrard. They'll be back.

As for New England, they were just superhuman tonight. Not much else can be said.

-Mir

Duff44

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:17 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 5):
No words necessary.

That graphic is making me dizzy... Big grin

Pats are one step closer to perfection...

2 more wins... that's all I ask.  pray 
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

mke717spotter

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:28 am

Packers win!!!

That was an awesome game to watch especially because of the snowstorm at Lambeau. It sure looked like a hell of fun to play in. I wasn't too nervous when they went down 14-0 because only like 5 minutes had gone by in the game. Now I'm just hoping that the Giants can upset the Cowboys tomorrow...
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Tom in NO

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:58 am

The Seahawks dynastic hold on the NFC West stems primarily from the fact that the rest of the division has not been overly competitive the past few years.

And I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I see the Cowboys dispatching the Giants tomorrow with not much trouble...I think Eli Manning will remember that he is Eli Manning, and their run of the past few weeks will come to an end.

Indy also beats the Bolts tomorrow, in a track meet at the RCA Dome.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:07 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 17):
Seattle is on NW....poor things. HA didn't have an aircraft available for the playoffs.

Insult to injury . . . from HA to NW, might as well have taken Greyhound . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:12 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 26):
Disappointing loss, but there's no shame in getting beaten by the best - and New England is a very special team this year.

Not much I can say about the play of the Jaguars - they played well, and they didn't beat themselves. They're a good team, they showed that they can compete with the best, and they've got a great quarterback in Garrard. They'll be back.

As for New England, they were just superhuman tonight. Not much else can be said.

Very true, very true in deed. For some reason, the Jags are beginning to grow on me...

Yeah, the Pats are pretty much unstopable this year, but I would love for them to go down by somebody. I really hope the Pack can go to the Superbowl and win it  pray 

san747

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:43 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 29):
Indy also beats the Bolts tomorrow, in a track meet at the RCA Dome.

It may be the part of me that has always been a SD fan talking, but I think this will be close and the Chargers do have a good chance. It doesn't matter whether Harrison is back, or Gates is questionable. The Chargers won against the Colts this year with good defense (until the end of the game), and quite a bit of luck. Let's hope the Chargers can pull it off again.

And I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I see the Cowboys dispatching the Giants tomorrow with not much trouble...I think Eli Manning will remember that he is Eli Manning, and their run of the past few weeks will come to an end.

I want to see the Cowboys go DOWN... But I hate Eli Manning too, and even though I'm setting aside my hatred, I still don't have a huge amount of confidence of him.
Scotty doesn't know...

Dougloid

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:13 pm

The Seahawks dynastic hold on the NFC West stems primarily from the fact that the rest of the division has not been overly competitive the past few years.

That's not a dynasty. A good competent team. Nothing more.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 33):
That's not a dynasty. A good competent team. Nothing more.

checkmark  Closest thing to a dynasty I've seen of late is the Patriots, and even they're shaky after not winning the Super Bowl two straight years.

-Mir

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
Closest thing to a dynasty I've seen of late is the Patriots, and even they're shaky after not winning the Super Bowl two straight years.

That is true, but wouldn't it be a trip to see them not make it?

I really want to see the Cowboys go down. I don't like TO, and I have never really liked the Cowboys anyway. Because Jacksonville lost, I am rooting for the Pack to do it this year. If Favre gets another Superbowl ring, I wonder if he'll retire after this season. He will be missed if he does...

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 35):
Because Jacksonville lost, I am rooting for the Pack to do it this year.

Same for me, but if the Pats play the way they did last night, there's no stopping them.

-Mir

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 36):
Same for me, but if the Pats play the way they did last night, there's no stopping them.

That's true, they've played like that all year, but I don't think any of them faced Brett Favre and the rejuvenated Pack...

jetblueguy22

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:29 pm

I hope the Cowgirls lose to the Giants. This way I can bug the loud mouth fans tomorrow.

Quoting Mir (Reply 26):
they were just superhuman tonight.

They are superhuman every game they play.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 35):
I really want to see the Cowboys go down.

Amen!
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

L-188

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
Closest thing to a dynasty I've seen of late is the Patriots, and even they're shaky after not winning the Super Bowl two straight years

And I should point out that one of those two years, the Seahawks took the Pats slot, and the other year they where the runner up in the NFC for the big game.

PSA53

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:32 pm

It's 10-7 Colts over San Diego at the half.

Go Chargers!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Duff44

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 39):
And I should point out that one of those two years, the Seahawks took the Pats slot

How can Seattle take New England's slot when they're in different conferences???  Confused

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
Closest thing to a dynasty I've seen of late is the Patriots, and even they're shaky after not winning the Super Bowl two straight years.

So? The great Pittsburgh and San Francisco dynasties both had two or three year gaps when they didn't play in the Super Bowl. Dallas played in 3 of 4 Super Bowls in the 1990's, but didn't do much before or after that.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

L-188

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 41):
How can Seattle take New England's slot when they're in different conferences???

DOH!

Oh well, the Hawks used to be AFC too.

PSA53

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Touchdown,San Diego!

14-10 Chargers.

Go Chargers!

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 39):
and the other year they where the runner up in the NFC for the big game.

No.... when did that happen?

You're not a dynasty for finishing above the Rams, 49ers, Cardinals. Then, about half the teams in the NFL could be modern dynasties!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

CastleIsland

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 41):
Dallas played in 3 of 4 Super Bowls in the 1990's, but didn't do much before or after that.

Super Bowl V
Baltimore Colts 16
Dallas Cowboys 13

Super Bowl VI
Dallas Cowboys 24
Miami Dolphins 3

Super Bowl X
Dallas Cowboys 17
Pittsburgh Steelers 21

Super Bowl XII
Dallas Cowboys 27
Denver Broncos 10

Super Bowl XIII
Pittsburgh Steelers 35
Dallas Cowboys 31

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Cowboy's fan, but in the 1970's Dallas was known as "God's Team." The hole in the dome was so he could watch...suffice to say, the Cowboys did have "some success" before the 1990s.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Tom in NO

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Jpatek, that's the point I was trying to make...the Hawks win that division primarily by default.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

CastleIsland

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Nice to see how disliked the Pats are in Indy. They just announced the Punt, Pass and Kick winners, and one of them was from NH, "representing the New England Patriots." A nice chorus of boos came cascading down from the locals. Fortunately, she put a big smile on her face and laughed it off.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

PSA53

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 pm

LT and Rivers are both out with injuries.Yikes! Chargers are still holding it together at 21-17.

Go Chargers!

CastleIsland

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:56 pm

What a gutsy drive by SD without Rivers and LT. Seriously good stuff. Kudos. bigthumbsup