Tom in NO
Topic Author

Solve Immigration/levees/alligator Problems Togeth

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:54 pm

Got the following emailed to me today (I'm sure it's floating around everywhere), and thought it provided an interesting perspective:

"Everyone concentrates on the problems we're having in this country lately; illegal immigration, hurricane recovery, alligators attacking people in Florida. Not me. I concentrate on solutions for the problems. It's a win-win situation:

+ Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border.

+ Send the dirt to New Orleans to raise the level of the levies.

+ Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border.

Any other problems you would like for me to solve today?"

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

aloges

RE: Solve Immigration/levees/alligator Problems Togeth

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Thread starter):
Any other problems you would like for me to solve today?

Yes please, I'd like a EUR 1 million loan to spend on Caterpillar Inc. stock. Thanks!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Francoflier

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 am

The olny thing I see coming out of that is the duplication of Mexican restaurants north of the borders, all serving the newest mexican cuisine hit: the gator burrito.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ltbewr

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:35 am

Won't happen. It would probably kill too many 'gators, the Mexicans would sue, the dirt sent to NO and the digging of the moat would screw up the enviroment. Besides, you already have a moat - A river - for much of the USA-Mexico border and it doesn't stop the illegal crossings anyway.

aloges

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Oh, pardon. I didn't know this was to be taken seriously. Was it?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Thread starter):
Got the following emailed to me today (I'm sure it's floating around everywhere), and thought it provided an interesting perspective:

Assuming a 3rd grader wrote it, perhaps.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 5):
Assuming a 3rd grader wrote it, perhaps.

Nah - you couldn't have - you don't have that good of a sense of humor.

I think it's freaking hilarious.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 6):

No surprise there. I'm sure many felt the same way during KKK lynchings in 1920 too.  Yeah sure
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 7):
I'm sure many felt the same way during KKK lynchings in 1920 too.

Sadly, that did happen. But we've come a long way haven't we? We can actually segregate the differences between humor, fact, and history.  Yeah sure

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:00 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 8):
But we've come a long way haven't we?

Agreed. Finding humor in feeding Mexicans to alligators is just hilarious. We are so much more enlightened these days aren't we? What's next a handful of Nazi / Jewish jokes? Drunken American Indian stories?

Thanks, but no thanks I'll pass.

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 9):
Finding humor in feeding Mexicans to alligators is just hilarious.

Glad you agree.

Now, just for clarification, it was NEVER mentioned as you put it. It said, "Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border." I don't see any mention of "feeding Mexicans"

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:27 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 10):
Now, just for clarification, it was NEVER mentioned as you put it. It said, "Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border." I don't see any mention of "feeding Mexicans"

Hmmm, funny my 10 year old niece just read it and saw the meaning intended as well.

(Problem: "alligators attacking people" )
(Proposal: "alligators in the moat along the Mexican border)
(Solution: alligators attack Mexicans)

If it truly didn't mean to attack Mexicans the writer wouldn't have called it "the Mexican border". Last I checked the drone of "protect our borders" was what people said. Or the American border. Or at most American - Mexican border. No the writer needed to be very clear he meant Mexicans, because after all a 5 year old American child living in El Paso getting savagely eaten by alligators isn't quite as funny is it? Nor the Texan rancher / farmer getting gored while out checking his land.

Keep digging ORF. Need a shovel?

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 11):
Keep digging ORF. Need a shovel?

Only to unbury your head from the sand. You live in a perfect world. One that really doesn't exist.

flipdewaf

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Or just let the Mexicans in.

Fred

EvilForce

RE: Solve Immigration/levees/alligator Problems To

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 12):
Only to unbury your head from the sand. You live in a perfect world. One that really doesn't exist.

No. I just don't find racist diatribe amusing. Call me weird I guess.

Let me ask you this...would you email this "joke" to all of your co-workers? All of your bosses? All of your clients? All of your family? All of your friends? If not, why not?

[Edited 2008-01-17 05:42:17]

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Weird -  no 

Too PC -  yes 

Just my opinion.

SBBRTech

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Quoting Flipdewaf (Reply 13):
Or just let the Mexicans in.

Raise shields! Foton charged flaming in your direction!
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

lobster

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 7):
No surprise there. I'm sure many felt the same way during KKK lynchings in 1920 too.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 9):
Finding humor in feeding Mexicans to alligators is just hilarious. We are so much more enlightened these days aren't we? What's next a handful of Nazi / Jewish jokes? Drunken American Indian stories?

Thanks, but no thanks I'll pass.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 11):
If it truly didn't mean to attack Mexicans the writer wouldn't have called it "the Mexican border". Last I checked the drone of "protect our borders" was what people said. Or the American border. Or at most American - Mexican border. No the writer needed to be very clear he meant Mexicans, because after all a 5 year old American child living in El Paso getting savagely eaten by alligators isn't quite as funny is it? Nor the Texan rancher / farmer getting gored while out checking his land.

Man, you really need to chill out. It's a freaking joke!! (and it's funny, and somewhat true)

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 15):
Too PC -

WAY to PC. Dude needs to get a hobby or something.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 14):
Let me ask you this...would you email this "joke" to all of your co-workers? All of your bosses? All of your clients? All of your family? All of your friends? If not, why not?

I would as most people fortunately don't share your view of the world and would find this humorous.

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 14):
Let me ask you this...would you email this "joke" to all of your co-workers? All of your bosses? All of your clients? All of your family? All of your friends?

Didn't see this part initially. To answer your question, I already did.

carmenlu15

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 6):

As someone sitting on the other side of the fence, so to speak... I have to say I did find it funny  boggled 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 pm

lobster

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 20):

Looks like he had a good lunch!!  laughing   laughing 

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 21):
Looks like he had a good lunch!!      

STILL having a good lunch.  bigthumbsup 

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 21):
Looks like he had a good lunch!!      

I hear white people are a bit bland tasting though.  Wink

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 23):
I hear white people are a bit bland tasting though.  

Use more spices.  Wink

EvilForce

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 24):
Use more spices.  

America's Heartland.... where salt is a spice and butter is a beverage.

AGM100

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:22 pm

A Moat huh ... not going to happen evil force, so dont worry. Yesterday at a town meeting our Governor Janet Napolitano said.."A fence will do nothing to stop illegal immigration" She rcvd a standing ovation from the enlightened ones in the crowd. The fence is not going to stop all illegals for sure , but it will send the right message .

Also yesterday , the Mexican government sent a delegation to Az to protest the Employer-sanctions law we voted on and passed. They met in secret with several legislatures from Az to "work out a agreement". It no doubt has something to do with the Supreme court review of the law.

Phone Rings ... Hello Janet its Barack .... hey thanks for the endorsement .... now go get me that minority vote OK. ...Janet .. no problem , I will protest the fence and the ES law.. that should do it.. mmmm OK ? buuby buuby.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

EvilForce

RE: Solve Immigration/levees/alligator Problems To

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 26):
A Moat huh ... not going to happen evil force, so dont worry. Yesterday at a town meeting our Governor Janet Napolitano said.."A fence will do nothing to stop illegal immigration" She rcvd a standing ovation from the enlightened ones in the crowd. The fence is not going to stop all illegals for sure , but it will send the right message .

True. Then again a wall is never going to get built either. I saw that the ranchers / farmers / landowners are going to fight the govt. for trying take their land and bisect it, thereby creating economic loss for them.

It'll be tied up in court for a decade or two. The wall doesn't fix / stop anything anyway. If we are going to build an edifice to America let's have another Statue of Liberty, Mt. Rushmore, Washington Monument kind of edifice. An ugly, concrete wall in the middle of nowhere costing over $20 billion as built as a "message"? Nah, I'll pass.

[Edited 2008-01-17 08:43:41]