Dougloid
Topic Author

Laptop Synaptics Touchpad Cursor Jumps Around

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:19 pm

If any of you have laptops with a Synaptics touchpad, you have had the problem of the cursor jumping around randomly when you are typing text. The result is that the text gets entered in some place other than the place you wanted it to. Apparently this is also a prolem if you're using linux.

I've been trying to resolve this problem and I've tried a couple things today. One was to download and install a driver package from Synaptics which didn't do a whole helluva lot.

Right now I'm trying a freeware utility called TouchFreeze which allegedly disables the cursor when you're entering text and it seems to be working, for now.

Anyone having the same problem? If you did, what worked to fix it or is it fixed at all?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

IH8BY

RE: Laptop Synaptics Touchpad Cursor Jumps Around

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Ah! I seem to have this problem on my Toshiba laptop; I had initially thought it was me accidentally pressing the "up" key whilst attempting to press "shift", but I soon realised it was something else. This is exactly what is happening to me, and my computer has a Synaptics touchpad.

No answer I'm afraid, but I am also interested in what might solve this!
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

jamesbaldwyn

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:45 pm

I know somebody had a keyboard on their laptop that had a mind of its own. Strangely enough, having Num Lock on/off fixed it.
Worth a try.

ShyFlyer

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
Anyone having the same problem?

Yup.

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
If you did, what worked to fix it or is it fixed at all?

I uninstalled the drivers and instead use the generic Windows drivers.
I lift things up and put them down.

scbriml

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 pm

It's a common issue on laptops with the Synaptic pad.

I have mine disabled and use an external mouse. I'm much happier using a mouse than the pad, and I don't have the frustration of losing 10 minutes typing because the "mouse" went crazy.

You should be able to download a utility to manage the pad from your laptop vendor. Mine is Dell, and, as I said, I have it set up to be disabled if it detects a USB mouse. So when I have the mouse plugged in, the pad is disabled. If there's no mouse, then the pad works.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

AirTranTUS

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Are you sure you are not accidentally touching the pad while you are typing? I thought my laptop had the same problem till I discovered I was inadvertently touching the pad while typing which moved the cursor.
I love ASO!

Dougloid
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 am

Here's a linky to the touchfreeze utility for windows.

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/downloads/list

the person who solves this one will probably be recommended to the Pope for sainthood

Dougloid
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:11 am

some other tips and ideas

I've offloaded the Synaptics driver package and unchecked the hide cursor while typing box. So far so good.

this site has every complaint and possible fix I've heard about.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6129_102...29&threadID=66043&messageID=783898

j_hallgren

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:09 am

I've had three Dell laptops over the last 7 or so years and all have had Synaptics pads and I've NEVER had this problem that I know of...The only issue i had was the eraser-tip touchstick causing a problem, so I had to disable that but since I never used it, was no big deal.

The most recent issue I had was with the Alps touchpad on another one that didn't have all all the functions I was used to, and found that Dell had "simplified" the GUI interface so by going back to a prior driver vers, I was able to recover the missing features, such as corner tapping to get other commands.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

luv2cattlecall

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 am

In some cases, on some laptops, I've noticed that this only occurs when the laptop is plugged in... My laptop does it when I use a certain battery (I have 3 that I swap out) and have the unit plugged in. I'm guessing some sort of electrical issue...

One thing that really helps if you're using a laptop quite a bit (don't laugh): Put a drop of superglue on your "trackpad finger." It'll do to laptopping what Astroglide did to...hmm...lubricating turboshafts..if you will.

AverageUser

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:40 pm

The operation of the capacitive touchpad is susceptible to very small leaks that may develop in the receiver matrix. If your pad is over-sensitive, merely hovering any conductive object above the pad may cause tracking errors.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:06 am

So far so good. I installed TouchFreeze, unchecked the cursor box, and removed the Synaptics drivers and we're good so far.

fumanchewd

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:58 am

I have had this problem on my Fujitsu Lifebook. It is definitely not me inadvertantly touching anything.

I'll give touchfreeze a try.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...