allstarflyer

The Official Super Bowl XLII Thread!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 am

We can probably start it now (why not - the media will be). Now it's the Patriots and the Giants. Just how big of a dog will the Giants be?

Brett Favre may have written the final touches on his career with that last INT, but he may be back (I hear he says he may be - who knows?).

Another Manning against the Pats. This year, either one would need divine help.

Edited to get the topic line reflecting accurately.

[Edited 2008-01-20 19:20:31]
Living the American Dream

futurecaptain

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 am

Patriots are going to stomp the Giants. I'd say it'll be 14-20 Patriots.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Duff44

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:39 am

Pats, but closer than most people think...

28-24
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Falcon84

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:39 am

Great, another "New York vs. Boston" sporting event! Just what the rest of the country really wanted. NOT! :-i

OK, rant over. Congrats to the Giants on doing something very, very difficult-winning three road playoff games. Their D rose up when it needed to in all three games; and Eli Manning came of age with three outstanding performances in a row, to lead the New York football Giants to the NFL promised. Quite a feat-brothers, quaraterbacking teams to the Super Bowl-in back-to-back years, no less.

Congrats to the Patriots, for taking all comers, and heading to the Super Bowl with an unblemished record. They've withstood every test, and the pressure never got to them. Despite a subpar day from Superman, Tom Brady, they found a way to win-on the ground, no less, and their D kept San Diego out of the end zone.

I don't root for NYC teams very often, but I am in this one. And, in honor of the Pats and Giants, their helmets will be the next 2 NFL mini helmets I add to my growing collection.

May the hype begin.
Work Right, Fly Hard

tsaord

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:42 am

I was pulling for the Giants for the simple fact that my home team, DA BEARS, beat the packers twice when in fact they should have ran all over them. HA! Let's go Pats! Scorched earth continues to the BOWL!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

L-188

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 am

The only reason to watch this years superbowl is for the commericals.

I came to that realization last week.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CastleIsland

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):
"New York vs. Boston"

The Giants are from New Jersey.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

SAN787

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:05 am

Go Eli, Go Giants!!!

NYG 25
NE 22
those who don't get carried away should be.

sw733

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 am

Well I hate both of these teams, so I am glad to be in Australia working where I won't get to watch...doesn't make me feel as bad missing it. It's basketball season now for me  Smile

iwok

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:22 am

I suppose it was good for the pats to have a bad game now and get the bag playoff game monkey off their back. If they had pulled this stunt on the Giants, then it would not be so pretty.

I do think, that since they had their bad game today, the Pats will show up in full force and the Brady bunch will go all the way.

Great nail biter at the finish.  Wow!

iwok

MSYtristar

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:28 am

As a long time fan of the entire Manning family, I couldn't be happier for Eli.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!

GuitrThree

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:35 am

And, in honor of the Pats and Giants, their helmets will be the next 2 NFL mini helmets I add to my growing collection

I hope you can find the authentic ones missing stripes and logos... Did you see that? I've never seen a game so cold that the logos were popping off the helmets. It must have been absolute hell playing in that game.. what where they drinking anyway? Warmed Gatorade??? Never heard it discussed what that stuff was... they showed a close up of it and it didn't look like coffee or tea or chocolate.. but sorta like a hot apple cider??

More power to both teams for having to not only play a game that cold but to go into OT...

But, now I gotta say I'm pulling for Eli and Coach Coughlin. Why?

Just to piss Tiki Barber off... now he can spend all spring and summer talking about how wrong he was about the Giants on the NFL network with his buddy Bryant Dumbell.

[Edited 2008-01-20 20:46:04]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

JeffSFO

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 8):

"New York vs. Boston"

Last time I checked it's the "New York" Giants, regardless of where their stadium is:

scottieprecord

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 am

This superbowl is just about as bad as the national championship game... shitty year for post-season football.

Moose135

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:43 am

Amazing, simply amazing. I've been a Giants fan for close to 40 years, and I never would have thought they would be in the Super Bowl this year!

Quoting Allstarflyer (Thread starter):
Just how big of a dog will the Giants be?

10 consecutive road wins, three road playoff wins, and they gave the Pats all they could handle in Week 17 when they had nothing to play for...it may be closer then Patriot fans would like to think.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 11):
Just to piss Tiki Barber off

Tiki who?  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

Go Big Blue!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

GuitrThree

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:47 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 12):
This superbowl is just about as bad as the national championship game

Hey, wait, how can you say that? I don't see Ohio State listed ANYWHERE in the Superbowl!

RayChuang

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:54 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 2):
28-24

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 15):
Hey, wait, how can you say that? I don't see Ohio State listed ANYWHERE in the Superbowl!

I agree that the Patriots beat the Giants by the score of 28-24.  Smile And keep Ohio State discussion as far away as possible--they have lucked into the last two BCS Championship Games and got blown out in both games.

CastleIsland

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 13):
Last time I checked it's the "New York" Giants, regardless of where their stadium is:

Last time I checked: mail a letter to the Giants. What state do you put on the envelope?

There's only one NFL franchise in New York State: The Buffalo Bills.

Plus; New Yorkers HATE being associated with New Jersey. Thus:

The New Jersey Giants will lose to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

[Edited 2008-01-20 21:06:39]
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

LTU932

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:07 am

Damn. As I said in the other thread, what the HELL?!  Wow!

Since I couldn't watch the game because I work (thanks to Australian business days because in my new account, my shift goes according to Australian business days), I'm even more shocked that I missed this match. Anyway, my prediction is that the Patriots will end this season in total perfection. 38-21 for the Patriots. Unless the Giants pull yet another upset, which somehow I still doubt even though they defeated Favre and the Pack, the Patriots will be perfect.

JeffSFO

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 17):

Last time I checked, it pisses off NY fans to tell it like it is. MY JOB. Pissing off NY fans. I'm from BOS, and I HATE NY fans. Got it? Every post I make between now and the Super Bowl will refer to New Jersey.

Further: Mail a letter to the Giants. What state do you put on the envelope?

Logan, isn't it time for you to have another emotional meltdown, quit A.net, and then sign up again under a different user name once you've calmed down? Ha ha.

Go New York Giants!

futurecaptain

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:20 am

It doesn't matter where the Giants are from. In 20 years when this superbowl is talked about they will say "The Patriots won superbowl XLII defeating those other guys whose name escapes us at the moment because lets face it, they lost, so nobody remembers them."

Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Boeing7E7

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 am

Least interesting Superbowl in recent memory. Of course its NY vs. Boston so we'll hear this crap for months to come.

Patriots, much as I hate both teams, will spank the ever living crap out of that sissy ass Manning.

42-14 Patriots.

[Edited 2008-01-20 21:27:49]

LHboyatDTW

RE: The Official Super Bowl Xlii Thread!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:11 am

Self gloss, but I was born on a SuperBowl sunday (1989)
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

AirCop

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Two weeks of useless football news is just about to begin.

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 22):
Self gloss, but I was born on a SuperBowl sunday (1989)

One of the best Super Bowls ever; 49ers 20 Cincinnati 16.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 11):
Just to piss Tiki Barber off..

Dumbest comment here; I'm sure Tiki is all concern that someone from TN is upset at him.  weeping 

GuitrThree

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:03 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 23):
Dumbest comment here

Actually, its not. Your lack of football knowledge shows in that statement. Tiki left the Giants organization because he over, and over, said that Coughlin was a horrible coach. Because Tiki was over his prime, no one else was willing to pay for his overly inflated ego, thus retirement.

As we see, Coughlin is now in the big dance. Tiki is at home watching them.

I'm certainly not a Giants fan, but every now and then its nice to hear all these so-called experts to be so far wrong it's funny. Look at all the predictions. According to the "experts," the Giants weren't even going to get off the bus correctly during the wildcard weekend, much less make it to the Superbowl....

AND, to see one of the players who dissed his own team and coach to have egg on his face is just wonderful.

So no. it WASN'T the dumbest comment here.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 23):
I'm sure Tiki is all concern that someone from TN is upset at him.

I meant that not that I was going to personally "upset" him. I meant that he is really embarrassed for running his mouth, and today is probably a real bad day for him.

Boeing7E7

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Congrats to the Patriots, for taking all comers, and heading to the Super Bowl with an unblemished record.

One has to wonder what the score would have been without Charger injuries.

AirCop

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 24):
Actually, its not. Your lack of football knowledge shows in that statement. Tiki left the Giants organization because he over, and over, said that Coughlin was a horrible coach.

In various sports coverage, and my source on the NFL network, most players in the league place Coughlin near the bottom of the coaches they wanted to play for, didn't the Giants management prior to the season (discussed last night on the broadcast) told Coughlin to ease up or he would be looking for a new job? Besides how smart can he be, to be dressed like he was in -24 windchill, look like to me he was getting a case of frostbite on his face.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 24):
As we see, Coughlin is now in the big dance. Tiki is at home watching them.

Bad coaches have coached in the Super bowl before, and as for Tiki, I doubt he will be watching from home, he will be there as part of the NBC Today show coverage..anyways I bet Tiki's laughing all the way to the bank for what NBC is paying him and he doesn't have to get hurt.

ltbewr

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:26 pm

I am still shocked at the Giants win. Some commentators before the game has suggested a 'puncher's chance' and I agreed with that. They didn't make too many dumb errors. Players did their jobs as coached and playing heads up ball. Eli Manning again didn't throw an interception. The D shut down GB's running game, critical in a cold weather game and made GB have to play more of a higher risk passing game.
The Giants made a lot of changes early in the season and off season as to players, coaches, coaching, practice, play style and it paid off as the season got going. HC Couglin took the advice of senior players and backed off some of his silly and insulting rules like being early to meetings and gave some authority to those senior players to mentor and disipline players. That improved the relationship of coaches and players, players liked the peer responsilbity and disipline. They ditched egotistic (Tiki) and lazy players and got some new players that have done excellently. New coaches on both sides of the ball brought in playing styles that worked with the players there. Invididual players made personal improvements in skills and attitude, with their dropping numbers of penalties over the season and Eli improvements as the best examples. When they lost some players during the season others stepped up and did good jobs. They kept the media's nose out of there day to day business. Players kept out of trouble on and off the field cutting out distractions.

One of the most critical moments for the Giants was the narrowly lost, last regular season game vs. their SB opponent the Patriots. Slightly hurt players played for most of the game, everybody avoided making the dumb mistakes. They played to try to win knowing how it would help everybody on the team and send a message to the league. They also wanted to prove to the media and their fans that they were a very different team then that it started the season with.

The Patriots will be tough to beat. The Chargers had too many hurting players at key offensive positions that limited them to 4 field goals despite an excellent D. They have some critical flaws as well that could be exploited. They may be closest to perfect a team can be right now, but it can't last forever.

In the end, I give the Giant's a better than puncher's chance to win Super Bowl XLII.

Tom in NO

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Patriots big in the Super Bowl, 35-21.....and Mercury Morris, Nick Buonticonti, Bob Griese, etc will be forever relegated to second best.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Dougloid

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 14):
Amazing, simply amazing. I've been a Giants fan for close to 40 years, and I never would have thought they would be in the Super Bowl this year!

Yep...likewise. I've been watching since the days of Paterson Plank Road Joe Pisarcik and "the Fumble" and Craig Morton as well. Imagine...we used to think that winning five games in a season was really doing something big.

I'll tell you when I knew that something big was going to happen. They came into Los Angeles in the 1984 Wild Card playoff game with the Rams and the Giants were widely expected to fall on their faces. Well, they won, it wasn't pretty, and Phil Simms was interviewed on a local radio station. He says "Yeah, nobody expected us to win and they didn't think we were for real. They didn't understand that we came here to win. It was ugly but we got it done." That's when I knew someday I'd see the Giants in a Superbowl in my lifetime.

The rope-a-dope has been working pretty well thus far.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

steeler83

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:01 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 6):

Yeah, otherwise, wouldn't they be called the "New Jersey Giants?"  Wink

Who cares?!

I do hope the Giants win, but if the Pats do win (which likely will happen anyway) congrats on a perfect sesaon! (Even though I loathe the Pats with a passion, you can't argue how great that team is...)

Long live Ernie Holmes #63, 1948 - 2008. Sad
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

CastleIsland

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:56 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 19):
Logan, isn't it time for you to have another emotional meltdown, quit A.net, and then sign up again under a different user name once you've calmed down? Ha ha.

If we judge one another by our internet behavior, we are truly pathetic. Nice try. The Giants are from New Jersey. Counter that. Perhaps you've noticed that I have had very little association with A.net over the past 3-4 months. Wonder why?

aerobalance

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 31):
Perhaps you've noticed that I have had very little association with A.net over the past 3-4 months. Wonder why?

What? We're not your friends?  Sad
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

GuitrThree

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:21 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 26):
In various sports coverage, and my source on the NFL network, most players in the league place Coughlin near the bottom of the coaches they wanted to play for

I don't care what your "source" says, I'm betting today, 30 teams worth of players wished they were playing for him...

Besides how smart can he be, to be dressed like he was in -24 windchill, look like to me he was getting a case of frostbite on his face.

Didn't seem to effect his coaching to an NFC Divisional win, now did it? Howie Longs face looked just as red and he spent a lot of time indoors...
this is a meaningless point.

I doubt he will be watching from home, he will be there as part of the NBC Today show coverage..anyways I bet Tiki's laughing all the way to the bank for what NBC is paying him and he doesn't have to get hurt.

Yea.. he'll tell all his grand kids that it didn't matter he doesn't have a ring on his finger, I mean, he got to discuss the game on the Today show instead of playing in it because he quit due to not liking the coach... yea.. laughing I'm sure..

Really? He'd rather be doing the Today show spots instead of playing in the game? Really??? Please.. do tell us another one...

CastleIsland

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 32):
What? We're not your friends?

Good people are. And yes, you qualify as good people. Everyone else, on both sides, knows as well.

JeffSFO

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:32 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 19):

If we judge one another by our internet behavior, we are truly pathetic. Nice try.

Are you some kind of internet tough guy then? All talk online but passive or 'plays nice' in person? I seem to remember you challenging someone to a fight on here once and gave them your street address or something for them to show up. And you expect people not to judge you for pulling a stunt like that? Or is it that we can't take you at your word?

Counter that.

Have it your way. They're the New Jersey Giants. It will be that much more fun if they if they win. You can go by their PO Box, I'll call them by their name.

Perhaps you've noticed that I have had very little association with A.net over the past 3-4 months. Wonder why?

Your meds finally kicked in? If so, then come back in another 4 months and let us know how things are working out.

LTU932

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:56 pm

Time to resurrect this thread, because today's the grand day, Superbowl XLII is upon us! Just too bad for me that I got stuck at work, but I'll try to view the results through a live ticker.

Dougloid

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Hell. If you're a real Giants fan, you know that the REAL Superbowl was held in Dallas a few weeks ago...imagine....Took it to Dallas in their house.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Arniepie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm going to see it.
Not that I know too much about the sport (saw it life a couple of times) but now that the beeb is airing the entire game and given that tomorrow is a non working day I'm going to sit to it and try to capture its magic (300 million Americano's can't be all wrong  Wink ).

The American commentators certainly are skilled so I guess we're going to get things explained a bit for us non-insiders.

Hoping for a fair but exciting game,

Arniepie
[edit post]

Gunships

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 pm

I'll be celebrating along with Shula, Csonka, & the rest of the "grumpy old men" when the Giants pull of one of the biggest upsets in NFL history.

stirthepot 

jetjack74

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:22 pm

Is it me or did it look like lip-syncing by Jordan Sparks? Maybe the sound feed was off
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Ok, who else is getting the spanish broadcast? Becuase that's what we're getting in Seattle.
Made from jets!

therunway

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:11 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 41):
Ok, who else is getting the spanish broadcast? Becuase that's what we're getting in Seattle.

Hehe. "Touchdoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooown."

fxramper

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 8):
I am glad to be in Australia working where I won't get to watch...

It's televised around the world.  Yeah sure

Where did Boeing7E7 go?  rotfl 

Go Giants!

LTU932

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:26 am

Maybe they should call him Turnover Eli. First his pass gets intercepted, then in NYG's next drive, he gets sacked and fumbles the ball. Way to go, Eli!  Yeah sure

jetjack74

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:57 am

This Super Bowl is a Super Bore!!!!! I'm turning it off.
Made from jets!

KPWM

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 45):
This Super Bowl is a Super Bore!!!!! I'm turning it off.

You can say that again. VERY boring

fxramper

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

That was funny watching Brady lose a fumble!  rotfl 

You like apples UH60?

AirCop

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 41):

The Bush Administration sold Washington State to Mexico during the night.  ashamed 

CastleIsland

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

It's fair to say that the Giants have out-played the Patriots very substantially so far. The Giants are a much better team than they were early in the season, and the Patriots are not nearly as effective as they were early in the season. Should be a very tense second half. Good luck to both teams.