jafa39

What Happens When You Buy Carbon Credits?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:56 am

To get certified a business must measure its emissions, develop a plan to reduce them and purchase carbon credits to offset any remaining emissions.

Who gets the money and what is done with it???
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

airfoilsguy

RE: What Happens When You Buy Carbon Credits?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:22 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Thread starter):
To get certified a business must measure its emissions, develop a plan to reduce them and purchase carbon credits to offset any remaining emissions.

That a new one to me. I have never heard of businesses having to buy carbon credits.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

oly720man

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 am

One illustration....

http://www.carbonplanet.com/shop_purchase_faq

9.13 Where does my money go?

As at 31-May-2007, most of the money (57%) goes to an NGAC producer to purchase your NGAC carbon credits. A portion (4%) is consumed by credit card processing costs. A portion (9%) is consumed by the Australian Goods and Services Tax (GST). The rest (30%) goes to Carbon Planet and from this Carbon Planet must recover all its establishment costs and the ongoing expense of providing this convenient retail interface to you.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

melpax

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 am

Sounds like a scam to me.......
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

bill142

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:44 am

Quoting Melpax (Reply 3):

Sure does. I think a donation to Landcare would do a better job then buying 'carbon credits'

kc135topboom

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:00 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 2):
Where does my money go?

See below.

It is.

But, I think I'm going to open a carbon credit company. Send me money, and for every $100 US (one carbon credit), I'll go down to Home Depot and buy a tree to plant for you..

Do you think I can get Al Gore interested in buying some carbon credits?  cool 

A346Dude

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 am

Nothing!
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

PanHAM

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 pm

up the chimney

Sounds like a scam to m

it is a scam

Communism did not work. Fascism was a version of communism for the brainless, didn't work either-

Democracy does not secure power longer than the election period, it does not satisfy those who want power over people, dominate them with their ideology, so something new had to be invented. Call it eco fascism or whatever you want.

It is a scam as old as people, give the naive and the plain a bad conscience and show them a way how they can get absolution. Buy carbon crefits, certificates when travelling, put money into the basket, whatever.

Still works, not long, as usual people will get smart, but for the next couple of years it will. .
powered by Eierlikör

SBBRTech

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Scam of the (new) century.

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
Do you think I can get Al Gore interested in buying some carbon credits?

I guess you won't ´cos HE is selling them...

This is like some kind of cheap Herballife scam...but worse since you don't even get to lose any weight !
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

wingnut767

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Can you say scam. Al Gore defends his extraordinary personal energy usage by telling critics he maintains a "carbon neutral" lifestyle by buying "carbon offsets," but the company that receives his payments turns out to be partly owned and chaired by the former vice president himself. Generation Investment Management, a London-based company with offices in Washington, D.C., for which he serves as chairman. Generation Investment Management's U.S. branch is headed by a former Gore staffer and fund-raiser, Peter S. Knight, who once was the target of probes by the Federal Election Commission and the Department of Justice. Gore stands to make a lot of money from his promotion of the alleged "global warming" threat. In other words, he 'buys' his 'carbon offsets' from himself, through a transaction designed to boost his own investments and return a profit to himself.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

PanHAM

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 8):

This is like some kind of cheap Herballife scam...but worse since you don't even get to lose any weight !

our all wallets do!

I kicked myself when I realized how much money can be made with this, just using the personal experience of the air business and sell carbon certificates to those travelling with a bad conscience. You can make a good lifestyle with this easily, even if you pass on 75% of the proceeds to some projects.

But, as can be seen, it helps a lot if you have been a big figure in politics before, it is much easier to sell the BS with a name.
powered by Eierlikör

wingnut767

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 10):
our all wallets do!

I kicked myself when I realized how much money can be made with this, just using the personal experience of the air business and sell carbon certificates to those travelling with a bad conscience

Throw this scam on top of what the UN will want to tax countries for their carbon output and all of our wallets will get a lot lighter
Yakum purkan min shmaya

Queso

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Can I also buy credits of other chemical elements? For instance, I'd like to buy some Titanium credits or maybe few Nitrogen credits just to keep things balanced.

I might like to buy some Lead credits to make boolits out of.

I would like to buy some Hydrogen credits but they'd probably all float away.

Would be government be pissed if I had some unregistered Uranium or Plutonium credits lying around?

Oh well, I'd be happy to take someone's Gold or Silver credits if they have any extras.

wingnut767

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 12):
I'd like to buy some Titanium credits or maybe few Nitrogen credits just to keep things balanced.

Yes I should of purchased one after I bought my new Big Bertha titanium headed driver. Perhaps if I tip the caddy some more then that will be my credit.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

Yellowstone

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm

For all your sarcasm, I don't see anything wrong with the notion that one should try to neutralize the carbon emissions one causes. For some people, this means buying and planting trees themselves. But many people lack either the time, money, or space to do this, so donating money to a charity that supports tree planting projects or research into carbon-reducing technologies is a perfectly good alternative. Now, from looking at Reply 3, I think that using 30% of the donations to support the non-profit organization and only 57% on the actual trees seems a bit odd, but I'm no expert on non-profits so I don't know what a "normal" ratio is. Nevertheless, that hardly qualifies as a scam. If you can show me evidence of a case where a group has sold carbon credits and misappropriated the money, then I will agree with you that that group was running a scam. Otherwise, it provides a convenient, quantifiable way for people to try to reduce their environmental footprint.

Now, there is a somewhat different form of carbon credit that could also be introduced, although I don't think it has been yet. The way these credits would work would be that the government would set emissions targets, some amount of CO2 release that balances economic progress with environmental concerns. The government then publishes carbon credits that add up to that amount and (at the start of the program) gives them for free to industries, most likely in proportion to their current carbon output. These carbon credits represent the right to emit a certain amount of CO2, and they are tradeable on some sort of "carbon credit market." Now, suppose I'm an industry that is emitting more CO2 than I have credits for. I can try to reduce my own emissions, but I also have the option of buying more credits from other industries, at a price set by supply and demand on an open market. Now someone else has to reduce emissions, but they can do it at a lower economic cost than I can. The net effect is that market forces will assign to each business the "correct" amount by which they should reduce carbon emissions to achieve a given target with the minimum economic cost. In the future, if the government wants to change the amount of carbon released, it can increase or decrease the credit supply.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

jafa39

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:22 pm

Just as I thought....some bugger is getting rich on it. I think I will buy my own trees......

MaidensGator

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Some guy who laughs all the way to the bank....
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

jetjack74

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:33 pm

It is a scam. It allows a hyopcritical and ritual polluter to carry on with their merry ways and have someone allegedly "plant a tree" in your name(yeah right). The money goes nowhere except in the pockets on a laundering scheme shielded under the guise of some global warming prevention advocacy group, who in turn uses the money fund these meaningless conferences in which delagates fly to a tropical nation to discuss global warming and trash the 1st world nations while doing nothing to address the pollution carried out in the developing world governed by corrupt, dictatorial leaders.
Made from jets!

carmenlu15

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 10):
I kicked myself when I realized how much money can be made with this, just using the personal experience of the air business and sell carbon certificates to those travelling with a bad conscience.

So I was quoting some tickets in the BA website and came up with this...

"Offset the carbon emissions for these flights
You can help minimise the impact of your flying by offsetting your carbon emissions. The total carbon emissions from your itinerary are 0.064 tonnes and the cost of offsetting your emissions is £ 0.90.

Your money will go towards UN certified emission reduction projects."

+ a link to add the carbon offset to the total cost of the ticket...  scratchchin 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

NWA742

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:56 pm

Well first it means that you've fallen for a blatant scam, and what happens next is that the earth is still going to continue to warm or cool as it pleases.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Yellowstone

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 17):
The money goes nowhere except in the pockets on a laundering scheme shielded under the guise of some global warming prevention advocacy group, who in turn uses the money fund these meaningless conferences in which delagates fly to a tropical nation to discuss global warming and trash the 1st world nations while doing nothing to address the pollution carried out in the developing world governed by corrupt, dictatorial leaders.

Do you have any proof at all for this statement?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 pm

I look at you and say "Suckaaaaaaaaaa!"
E pur si muove -Galileo

jetjack74

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 20):
Do you have any proof at all for this statement?

Educated guess?
Made from jets!

Yellowstone

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 22):
Educated guess?

Alright, give me other cases of environmental charities misusing funds.

jafa39

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 23):

How about you send us some pics of all the trees they have planted and some evidence as to the "carbon reducing technology" they are researching and investing in  Wink

NeilYYZ

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 am

I guess you can go to bed thinking you've done something good, or feeling like a sucker. Personally, I'd feel like a sucker.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

767Lover

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:02 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 14):
For all your sarcasm, I don't see anything wrong with the notion that one should try to neutralize the carbon emissions one causes.

Of course not.

However, the problem I have with the concept is this:

Environmental "health" will require a change in lifestyle and mindset of the general populace. We must think smart and shift our behaviors in ways that reduce environmental impact. The purchase and issuance of carbon credits does nothing more than but the onus on environmental improvement onto somebody else. "Oh, I can continue with my normal behavior as long as I pay a fee and have someone else deal with the problem."

Rather than purchase a carbon credit, I would prefer to think about how I can help reduce my "output" by reducing car trips and tacking errands onto work commute...taking public transportation when possible...reducing my electricity consumption...or planting trees myself on my property.

And what is the "environmental footprint" of the companies administrating and managing these carbon credits? Surely this isn't done by candlelight and abacus.

Otherwise, it provides a convenient, quantifiable way for people to try to reduce their environmental footprint.

How quantifiable is it? Do we have actual proof of how the carbon credit was used, other than the organization telling us? It is more quantifiable for me to walk to the store--at least I know where my effort went in that scenario.

kc135topboom

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am

Send me money!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll plant trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wave 

AverageUser

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:27 pm

If you live in certain parts of the world, you buy them whether you want or not:

The European Union Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS) is the largest multi-national, greenhouse gas emissions trading scheme in the world [1], and is a major pillar of EU climate policy.

Under the EU ETS, large emitters of carbon dioxide within the EU must monitor and annually report their CO2 emissions, and they are obliged every year to surrender (give back) an amount of emission allowances to the government that is equivalent to their CO2 emissions in that year. The installations may get the allowances for free from the government, or may purchase them from others (installations, traders, the government.) If an installation has received more free allowances than it needs, it may sell them to anybody.

Also see UK Emissions Trading Scheme

(Wikipedia)

Queso

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:10 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 18):
So I was quoting some tickets in the BA website and came up with this...

"Offset the carbon emissions for these flights
You can help minimise the impact of your flying by offsetting your carbon emissions. The total carbon emissions from your itinerary are 0.064 tonnes and the cost of offsetting your emissions is £ 0.90.

Your money will go towards UN certified emission reduction projects."

+ a link to add the carbon offset to the total cost of the ticket...

That's a good one! And it gives me an idea:

It's time for A.netters who support the theory of man-made global warming to put their money where their mouth is! DM should add an optional charge to the monthly price of a first-class membership to offset carbon emissions created by the operation of the A.net servers, in the same manner that BA is doing with their ticketing system! DM could even add a little tree to the First Class Member logo of those who contribute!

Now, let's see who signs up for that!

baroque

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 12):
Can I also buy credits of other chemical elements? For instance, I'd like to buy some Titanium credits or maybe few Nitrogen credits just to keep things balanced.

While you are all falling about laughing at scams, have I got a deal for you Queso.

"Under the proposal submitted to the White House last week, power plants would be able to buy and sell the rights to emit mercury into the air. A similar trading of emission credits is currently in use to handle sulfur dioxide, the pollutant that is a component of acid rain. In addition, the agency's proposal would push back the effective date of the new regulations to 2010 at the earliest.

Mr. Leavitt argued that a market-based system was an efficient compromise that would reduce mercury emissions in a way that did not place a financial burden on utility companies. ''By exploring the alternative, we can gain substantially more progress than under command and control,'' he said.

Environmental groups criticize the market-based proposal, saying it would allow hot spots of mercury contamination to build up. Mercury, a known neurotoxin, accumulates in the environment and builds up in the tissue of fish and the species, including humans, that eat them. It is considered particularly hazardous for pregnant women because of the developmental effects on fetuses. "
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...940CE1D61F3AF930A35751C1A9659C8B63
The cheapest mercury should be available in Texas due to the great mercury scam I keep suggestion US contributors look up but still seems a great secret!

Mercury was the cause of Minamata disease, but long before that was a scandal it had been immortalized in Through the looking glass. The mad hatter at the tea party was suffering from mercury poisoning, IIRC due to the way fashionable hats were made!!

But if you think that the hatter's problem was crazy, just think how much of the worlds population was poisoned for so long with lead emissions from lead tetraethyl.

Queso

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 30):

Wow. Looks pretty serious.

slider

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 9):
Al Gore defends his extraordinary personal energy usage by telling critics he maintains a "carbon neutral" lifestyle by buying "carbon offsets," but the company that receives his payments turns out to be partly owned and chaired by the former vice president himself.

Algore is public enemy #1 as far as I’m concerned. He incited mass hysteria and is the biggest huckster and charlatan of our time. His efforts at being “carbon neutral” are nothing but a transparent act to assuage his own guilt and he profits from it all. Why the guy hasn’t been exposed as a complete fraud, hypocrite and LIAR by the mainstream media and why he hasn’t been completely humiliated and sent to live on an ice floe somewhere is beyond me.

I don't see anything wrong with the notion that one should try to neutralize the carbon emissions one causes.

Me neither. It’s called basic conservationism. But I don’t need some limp-wristed mealy-mouthed enviro-cultist to preach to me about what I SHOULD be doing or engaging in a Ponzi scheme to redistribute wealth, which is what “carbon offsets” are all about.

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 23):

Dude, open your eyes. Check the link here and my comments below:

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 2):
One illustration....
http://www.carbonplanet.com/shop_purchase_faq
9.13 Where does my money go?
As at 31-May-2007, most of the money (57%) goes to an NGAC producer to purchase your NGAC carbon credits. A portion (4%) is consumed by credit card processing costs. A portion (9%) is consumed by the Australian Goods and Services Tax (GST). The rest (30%) goes to Carbon Planet and from this Carbon Planet must recover all its establishment costs and the ongoing expense of providing this convenient retail interface to you.

Read that again. THIRTY PERCENT is what you would call “administrative fees”. Any charity that has over 15% is one I won’t support, and that’s IF you want to call this a “charity”. The entire breakdown above is all a scam. It pads the tax coffers, it goes to some mysterious NGAC “producer” to purchase credits, all a joke.

CaptOveur

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:35 pm

I have 500 carbon credits that I will sell you you for $50. Hit my up on a private message for my paypal information.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

slider

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 33):
I have 500 carbon credits that I will sell you you for $50. Hit my up on a private message for my paypal information.

LMAO!!  yes 

You're onto something now! Carbon credit RESALE market....this is totally untapped. I'm going to set up an eBay shop and rake in the dough!

I might even sell air. Or that 'name a star' racket. Brilliant man, just brilliant!

kc135topboom

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:03 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 32):
Algore is public enemy #1 as far as I’m concerned. He incited mass hysteria and is the biggest huckster and charlatan of our time. His efforts at being “carbon neutral” are nothing but a transparent act to assuage his own guilt and he profits from it all. Why the guy hasn’t been exposed as a complete fraud, hypocrite and LIAR by the mainstream media and why he hasn’t been completely humiliated and sent to live on an ice floe somewhere is beyond me.

But, hey, give credit where credit is due. After all, AlGore did invent the internet.  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

baroque

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:22 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 31):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 30):

Wow. Looks pretty serious.

It is a serious problem and considerable health effects are known to be associated with emissions from burning coal. There is quite a literature, most of the most marked effects are historic as far as the west is concerned, but there are clusters of current problems in China. Possibly India also, but not AFAIK documented as the Chinese ones - by US scientists for the most party BTW.

If the set of mental blocks I was given for Christmas was not working as well as it is, I would tell you the main authors name. It will come to be, so hold your breath - best to do so anyways if near a coal fired power station!!

Big grin  Big grin

dl757md

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Quoting Maidensgator (Reply 16):

Some guy who laughs all the way to the bank....

.....Why former Vice President of the United States and Nobel Laureate Al Gore does, of course!
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

baroque

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:49 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 36):
I would tell you the main authors name.

Robert Finkelman

http://www.military-medical-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=1057

"Medical Geology

"Iodine is an excellent example of the connection between geologic materials and trace element deficiency. Iodine deficiency disorder (IDD) includes goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland), cretinism (mental retardation with physical deformities), reduced IQ, miscarriages and birth defects. Goiter is still a serious disease in many parts of the world. It has been demonstrated that in those places where the risk of IDD is high, the content of iodine in drinking water is very low. A recent study indicated that iodine volatilized from residential coal combustion in Guizhou Province, China, may be substantially reducing the incidence of IDD in that particular region.

Toxicity effects from exposure to excess amounts of trace elements have been described as due, in part, to natural geological sources. One of the most studied trace elements, in this regard, has been fluorine. Fluoride, the ionic form of fluorine, can stimulate bone formation and has been demonstrated to reduce dental cavities. Excess fluoride exposure, however, can cause fluorosis of the enamel and bone.

Arsenic, another carcinogenic non-essential metal, has been the subject of a number of studies, due to its damaging effects on humans. Exposure to arsenic can occur through mining, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, glass and microelectronics. The most prevalent source of exposures is natural; ingestion of arsenic through contaminated drinking water remains a major public health problem.

Implications

In much of Asia, Mexico and elsewhere, high levels of arsenic in drinking water have caused serious health problems for many millions of people. Geoscientists from Bangladesh, India, China, Taiwan, Vietnam and Mexico are working with public health officials to seek solutions to the problem. By studying the geology and hydrology of the area, geoscientists are trying to determine the source of the arsenic being leached into the ground water. The results will help public health officials around the world to identify aquifers with similar characteristics and determine which populations may be at risk from arsenic exposure.

In China, geoscientists are working with the medical community to seek solutions to arsenic and fluorine poisoning caused by residential burning of mineralized coal and briquettes. Chronic arsenic poisoning affects at least 3,000 people in Guizhou Province. Chili peppers dried over open coal-burning stoves may be a principal vector for the arsenic poisoning.

The health problems caused by fluorine volatilized during domestic coal use are far more extensive than those caused by arsenic. More than 10 million people in Guizhou Province and surrounding areas suffer from various forms of fluorosis. Fluorosis combined with nutritional deficiencies in children can result in severe bone deformation.

Geophagia or geophagy, defined as the deliberate ingestion of soil, a practice that is common in certain communities, is also of concern in medical geology. Soil may be eaten from the ground, but in many situations there is a cultural preference for soil from special sources such as termite mounds. Geophagy is considered by many nutritionists to be either a learned habitual response in which clays and soil minerals are specifically ingested to reduce the toxicity of various dietary components or as a built-in response to nutritional deficiencies resulting from poor diet. "

More inf at
http://ambio.allenpress.com/perlserv...7%2936%5B103%3AHIOCFA%5D2.0.CO%3B2
But you have to pay!!