RacingGreen07
Topic Author

OnStar- Your Experiences? What Do You Think?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I was just browsing and I somehow stumbled upon some website about something called OnStar. Now being the Brit I am I decided to just check it out....

I am extremely just fascinated by their whole set-up. They employ so much technology its unbelievable. It is such a great idea and it shows the consumers agree as their call centre handles 100,000 calls A DAY!

They save so many people from tricky situations and its always good to know theres someone on the other side. And personally if I was living in the US I would love to get it!!

It just shows how technology has grown up really. It is really a useful service!

Do any a.netters have the OnStar system and if so what are your experiences? And if you don't have it then how come you decided not to get it?

Pity its not available in the UK!

Regards,

RacingGreen
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

airfoilsguy

RE: OnStar- Your Experiences? What Do You Think?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:08 pm

My dad has something similar in his S550. You call them up and tell them where you want to go and they program your GPS to lead your car to that site. Also, if the destination is a restaurant or hotel they will make reservations for you. Or if you are going to an unfamiliar city and need a hotel you can ask them to find one for you that fits your requirements. Real helpful in my opinion.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

RacingGreen07
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
My dad has something similar in his S550

Mercedes do have a system called TeleAid. I think BMW has one also called BMW Assist..

Also, if the destination is a restaurant or hotel they will make reservations for you.

Now that is what I call first class service!

Real helpful in my opinion.

I agree! Only wish it was available in the UK
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

IFEMaster

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 pm

I have OnStar in both my cars. I haven't had to use it but it came free for the first year with both. However, when it comes time to renew, I'll renew because it saves me more on insurance per year because of the GPS tracking should either get stolen (a bit like LoJack) than the cost of renewal. Also, the fact that it will automatically call for emergency assistance if there is an airbag deployment or if the vehicle flips is very reassuring.

I'm sure their 'Directions & Connections' package is useful, but I have Garmin GPS units in both vehicles so wouldn't use it.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello. This is DeShawn with On-Star. I see you have no idea where you're going. I will try to direct you out of the river bed. First, I need to know why the hell you are driving a Cadillac. According to my files, your adjusted gross income for 2007 was $23,776. Man, you got a Caddy with that income? Shit! I'm in the wrong job.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Jpax

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:22 pm

OnStar is second rate to BlondeStar  Wink

2H4

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:25 pm

I heard a good story once about a guy who took his car across Lake Michigan on the ferry. Halfway across the lake, he went to his car, pressed the OnStar button, and asked for directions to the nearest dealership.

After about 5 or 10 minutes of complete and total confusion on OnStar's end, he finally revealed that he was on a ferry and just messing with them.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

ual757

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:37 am

My dad has something similar in his S550.

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 2):
Mercedes do have a system called TeleAid

Same! Big grin My dad doesn't really use it but its pretty cool.

sccutler

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:11 am

It works very well, and is a great rig... But...

...my car is old enough now (2001) that when it was built, the OnStar unit had analog cell only, and as a result, it's game over for OnStar for me. No digital conversion capability.

It does everything that they say it will, and actually does it very well.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...