Additional things about Chicago I love:
1. Italian Beef sandwiches and french fries with a Coke. Not good for your heart, but fantastic on a cold winter afternoon! I make sure I get one of these every time go back for a visit.
2. Brown's Fried Chicken. Hadn't had any in about 10 years or so, but I haven't came across anything that compares
3. Vienna Hot Dogs. When I was young we used to go down to the garment district on Halsted and get these from the street side vendors (when they were still allowed).
4. Good German food! Unfortunately it looks like the little German town on north Lincoln ave (think Delicatessen Meyer) is collapsing. In recent years some of the best German restuarants in Chicago have closed. I talked to a German shop owner a few years ago and he said the problem is that the kids these days don't want to take over the businesses from the parents. Anyway, everytime I go up there, it seems one or two more shops have closed.
5. Marshall Field's State Street. I am boycotting Macy's. I was there shortly after Macy's took over the State St store.
Terrible, terrible, terrible. It seems more like a JC
Penny store now.
6. The OLD Chicago Public Library on Michigan Ave. I spent so many hours in there during college doing research for reports from 100 year old books. Since I went to school in Louisiana, it used to drive the professor nuts when my Bibliography contained books that they couldn't find! I am glad to see that they are trying to make something of the old building. Last time I was in there they had a ton of photographic exhibits going on. I sure hope they don't tear that building down. It's an architectural masterpiece!