Tugger
Topic Author

The Italian Job - Helicopter Scene In New Version

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:21 am

OK, So I'm watching the movie The Italian Job, the new one with Mark Wahlberg in it. And here comes the scene where the car is trapped by the helicopter under the overpass/loading area (or whatever it is) and I gotta ask:
Couldn't the car, the Mini Cooper, just push the copter out of the way? I know the skids could do damage and the copter could just drop down to the ground but I don't think that's what the movie is doing. The helo is just flying menacingly, blocking the cars escape. Couldn't the car just drive forward and push the helicopter out of the way? (And possibly into the overhead causing failure and destruction to everything involved.)

How much damage could the car do to the helicopter? Could the copter do to the car? I guess its a question of mass vs traction, the car certainly has the better traction (though the helo has traction through the air) but which wins on mass (especially a Mini with ~70 bars of gold - that's just under 2,000lbs of gold)?

Who wins?

Thanks,

Tug

[Edited 2008-01-28 23:36:32]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

signol

RE: The Italian Job - Helicopter Scene In New Version

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:52 am

I'd guess the helicopter wouldn't be stable enough to stay airborne after being hit by the car, would crash and either block the car in, or land on top of it. Either way, no escape for the Mini!

On the other hand, I didn't think there's enough room in that warehouse / underpass thing for the rotors anyway! (just like the helicopter in the tunnel of Mission Impossible)

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI