AverageUser
Topic Author

Your Auto Driving Skills On Ice And Snow

Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Please check the choice(s) that best describes your car driving skills on icy roads if any.

x The only ice I ever see is when or if I clean the far back of the fridge
x my insurance has been cancelled already so I really can't tell
x my partner actually does the all the difficult driving for me
x my wheels has like P,N,D,1,2 so there's no need for asking
x I have a preference for a certain lane on downhill roads
x I spinned once and I'll never try again
x I'm an excellent driver
x I have a team of mechanics work for me so go away

Fly747

RE: Your Auto Driving Skills On Ice And Snow

Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Thread starter):

devil 

....as most people think of themselves.

Ivan

desertjets

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:06 pm

One day while coming home from work a light snow began just dusting the road with its icy goodness. I was driving down a road with a steep hill (that I knew better than to drive on) and about a 1/3 of the way down began to lose control. Bumped my right front against the curbed and regained control for a second but I always panicked slammed on the brakes and locked up (No ABS) and spun, hitting my left rear wheel on the curb at the bottom of the hill. All told I broke a wheel and hub/strut assembly.

For the next winter I made sure I had winter tires (Nokian WRs -- figured the Finns know a thing or two about driving in snow and ice) on my car and was more careful about where/when I drove when the roads were less than ideal. Then I moved someplace warmer.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I slid in the ditch twice: 1976 and 2000. Other than that, no weather troubles related to driving. There have been several times where the car has been snowed in under 4 feet of snow the driveway. Those are times when you don't even try the drive anywhere.

[Edited 2008-01-30 10:10:41]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

andrej

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 pm

Andrej

WrenchBender

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:19 pm

x my insurance has been cancelled already so I really can't tell
x my partner actually does the all the difficult driving for me
x I have a preference for a certain lane on downhill roads
x I spinned once and I'll never try again
x I have a team of mechanics work for me so go away

You forgot the North American standard
x I have a 4x4 SUV and am therefore capable of still cruising at 130 Km/H in the fast lane on the snowiest/iciest of days.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Dougloid

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
I slid in the ditch twice: 1976 and 2000. Other than that, no weather troubles related to driving. There have been several times where the car has been snowed in under 4 feet of snow the driveway. Those are times when you don't even try the drive anywhere.

Yes sir. There are few things in life that are more entertaining than a good proper midwestern snowstorm, where you don't have to be anywhere for a few days, there's a nice big stack of oak logs near the door, the fridge is well stocked, and you have....ahem....frisky female companionship.

Haven't been in the ditch since 1984. I was driving a Ford Econoline down snowy Airport Highway in Toledo Ohio and a strong gust of wind blew me right into the ditch. The AAA wrecker service was right across the street, so I wasn't even late for dinner.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ORFflyer

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
I slid in the ditch twice: 1976 and 2000.

Me too - once in 1976 when I had my license for only a few months. Fortunately for me, my Dad was pretty good about it, as the only damage was a transmission linkage.

The second time was in 1978 headed out to a party weekend in Blacksburg. We were stopped on a hill waiting for an accident to be cleared at the bottom - I was talking to a Police Officer out the window, and just started sliding down the hill. Pretty hairy for a couple seconds as I figured I wasn't going to stop until I hit the cars at the bottom. Fortunately, I slid into the ditch without any damage.

airfoilsguy

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Except for about 3 weeks ago my truck wouldn't start and I took the mustang instead. Well 15 minutes later I went into a ditch. 4x4 sure spoils you.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

cfalk

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:25 pm

I enjoy driving on snow and ice. It's fun to do controlled drifts and slides without wincing at how much you are shredding your tires. I once stuffed a car in those conditions about 20 years ago (down a steep icy hill in a FWD Golf - not the ideal car if you want to be able to steer), and I think I've learned a bit since then.

Of course the most important element are the tires. Summer tires turn into slicks in the cold, and so-called "all-weather" tires are a joke - neither good for summer or winter. Winter tires make a huge difference - to the point that you are constantly looking in your mirrors because your braking distances are a fraction of the guy's behind you.

But whenever we have a good layer of snow on the roads when I wake up in the morning, I find whatever excuse I can to get in the car and go for a drive before any snowplows come by and ruin it.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
FWD Golf - not the ideal car if you want to be able to steer

My sister had one of those. I was surprised how that thing was so hard to control. Once you lost traction, it was too late. It wanted the ditch. But the damned thing, when it wanted to, would punch through drifts like a hot knife through a mother in law.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

JGPH1A

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:40 pm

[x The only ice I ever see is when or if I clean the far back of the fridge

My car also has a snow button on the automatic gear box, I don't know what it does - maybe it melts all the snow, I have no idea. I've only had to drive in something resembling snow once in 7 years, and before that probably only twice in my whole life. Snow is best only for enhancing the view out the window - not for actually being in.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Confuscius

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Not too good.

Ain't I a stinker?

steeler83

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm

I am an excellent driver, but last March after a pretty hefty snowfall, I slid off the road, almost hit a telephone pole, and then slammed into a snow-covered pile of cinders. I have a 2006 Elantra, only 4 months old at the time and I caused $800 worth of damage to the fender because of that! I was only doing 20-25 in a posted 40mph zone!! AARGH!!  banghead 

Thank goodness for my auto insurance. I only had to pay a fraction of that, and they gave me a rental car while my car was being fixed.  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

desertjets

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
Winter tires make a huge difference - to the point that you are constantly looking in your mirrors because your braking distances are a fraction of the guy's behind you.

After spinning my car and doing the next winter w/ proper winter tires I became a believer. And not only do you have to be watching your mirrors to make sure nobody is riding your ass, but it is almost equally strange to be in a situation where you have more traction than visibility. Which can happen a lot in a decent snowfall. It is almost cool to feel your car step out of line just slightly and then feel the tires bite again.

That said where I live now I don't really need em, but what I have a still very usable in summer and should last me plenty long. But they are a little smushy/squirmy which is the trade off. I'd prefer something firmer overall now. Would help the ride/handling and fuel economy a bit on my car.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

NeilYYZ

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm a snowplow driver, so I'd best be pretty proficient at it.

When I'm not in the plow I don't have a car, but, if I'm ever at my parents place they both have 4x4 SUV's, so I'm not bad in them either.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

AverageUser
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 2):
Nokian WRs

I luckily live well out of the vulcanizing odour zone of the Nokian factory, not long ago they were a division of Nokia the comms & computer company.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
Of course the most important element are the tires.

I think it's actually the guy or girl located between the wheel and the seat that makes or breaks it.

I should classifiy myself as the "darn excellent driver", a tick I wisely reserved for myself. I've missed all the marvellous opportunities to ditch or wreck, and you'd barely guess the young chap in the driver's licence I carry with me is me. Today is a good example, it was slippery as it possibly could be, there were three children to fall and injure themselves in the daycare group of our young one today with someone actually taken to the doctor which is exceptional.
I just sped away in my ancient heavy back-wheel driven car whose icing on the cake is those Italian-made studded tires that have the brand "Stunner" written on their sides

57AZ

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Only went off road once and that was without damage to the car ('89 Cadillac Brougham). Heading down the mountain at slow speed, I hit a patch of black ice and spun 180 degrees. A fellow with a 4x4 and stout rope pulled me back up on the pavement without any difficulty.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Confuscius

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 17):
A fellow with a 4x4 and stout rope pulled me back up on the pavement without any difficulty.

I believe this is the video.
Ain't I a stinker?

skywatch

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:37 pm

The only ice I ever see is when or if I clean the far back of the fridge

Checkin' in from Central Texas here. 'Nuff said! Big grin If one snowflake falls from the sky here, schools will close, people stay home from work, and there are massive pile-ups on IH-35.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

desertjets

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 18):
I believe this is the video.

That is an internet classic. Though not to nitpick that particular Nissan Frontier is a 4x2 model. Of course those 4-5 guys could have dug out the driveway in 5-10 minutes and saved an expensive repair on that sweet Geo Storm.

2H4

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
a FWD Golf - not the ideal car if you want to be able to steer

Mine is actually quite good. It would be better with proper winter tires, but the traction and stability control make it a pleasure to drive in the slippery stuff.

It really doesn't take any special skills to drive on ice and snow. All you have to do is drive slowly, leave an enormous amount of space between your car and the car ahead, and plan ahead in every situation. That's it.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

lobster

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Growing in the land of snow and ice, I'd say I'm an excellent driver. The only time I ever went in the ditch was the first winter I got my DL. Having 4x4 in the winter helps, but a person should be able to drive any kind a vehicle in bad weather. Alot of my partners at work would have me drive when going to a call, so I guess other people have faith in my driving too.

RobertNL070

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 21):
It really doesn't take any special skills to drive on ice and snow. All you have to do is drive slowly, leave an enormous amount of space between your car and the car ahead, and plan ahead in every situation. That's it.

checkmark 

Thanks. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Chi-town

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm from Chicago

aloha73g

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:49 pm

One of the many reasons we say, "Lucky you live Hawai'i."

Though I would also like to add....

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Springbok747

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:56 pm

The only ice I ever see is when or if I clean the far back of the fridge

checkmark 

I'm a good driver, but I've never, ever driven on ice and snow...would love to do it someday.
אני תומך בישראל

2H4

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 26):
I've never, ever driven on ice and snow

Here what it's like from the driver's seat:

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Jpax

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:12 pm

jutes85

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:31 am

I wouldn't say that i'm the best driver, but I've been through enough bad weather and icy mountain roads to have great experience. Having an AWD Suby that can out-perform most 4x4's on crappy streets helps also.
nothing

Arrow

Your Auto Driving Skills On Ice Or Snow

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 am

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 5):
You forgot the North American standard
x I have a 4x4 SUV and am therefore capable of still cruising at 130 Km/H in the fast lane on the snowiest/iciest of days.

And you've touched on the major problem with 4WD cars -- the operator. It amazes me that people can't grasp the fact that 4WD can get you moving very well (generally speaking), but does next to nothing to help you stop. I argue that a 4WD with a bozo behind the wheel is far more dangerous than a 2WD with the same bozo at the controls.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 14):
After spinning my car and doing the next winter w/ proper winter tires I became a believer.

They make a huge difference -- especially on 4wd. I got my little Suzuki up a steep, snow-covered logging road once when every other SUV was stranded at the bottom. The difference? I had four snows on, none of the others did. I was the only one to make it up the hill that day.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

fritzi

Rough Roads

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:56 am

I live in sweden so I would have to say that on dry roads in the summer the speedlimit on straight roads are just more like a "safety speed incase you were to hit a fly at 50 kph". Normally on our 110 kph highways I stay between 110 and 140. On many of our bullsh*t 70 kph roads I keep to 100.

But during the winters it's a whole different story. Here in the south we usually dont get a lot of snow or ice on the roads, but when I lived a bit more towards the north we had snow/ice on the roads for 3-5 months of the year. Then my average

A346Dude

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 am

Pretty good I guess. The secret is to simply drive according to the conditions. A FWD car without winter tires is perfectly safe in the snow as long as you expect some degree of sliding and adjust accordingly.

I find the best training is to go to a parking lot after a good snowfall, enter a turn at about 40km/h, and then pull the e-brake. Learn how to correct in this controlled environment, and you will have no problem when it happens unexpectedly on the road.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Dougloid

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 32):
I find the best training is to go to a parking lot after a good snowfall, enter a turn at about 40km/h, and then pull the e-brake. Learn how to correct in this controlled environment, and you will have no problem when it happens unexpectedly on the road.

Some of the happiest moments in my life were spent at the wheel of a taxicab in New Jersey. The Menlo Park Shopping Center was pretty much closed on Sundays then, so the parking lot was empty and if it was covered in snow I'd crank my 1963 Plymouth Belvedere cab up to 40 or 50 mph and cramp the wheel and spin and spin and spin.....the opther thing I'd do is put about three extra quarts of oil in it so I could watch it smoke.

laughing   laughing   laughing 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Springbok747

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 27):

Thanks for the pics...looks interesting...but thats not the driver's seat..oh wait..I forgot, you guys drive on the wrong side  Wink  duck 
אני תומך בישראל

allstarflyer

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:19 am

The best thing I can offer for the following two quotes is that a driver should judge his/her stopping distance to be at least 2x as much as what it would be under conditions with dry, uncontaminated pavement. In driving school, people are generally taught to let the bad drivers get ahead of you and stay plenty behind those in front of you - even more so in the snow (and rain even). It's just driving defensively and good sense.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 30):
It amazes me that people can't grasp the fact that 4WD can get you moving very well (generally speaking), but does next to nothing to help you stop.

A FWD car without winter tires is perfectly safe in the snow as long as you expect some degree of sliding and adjust accordingly.

Yeah, definitely, take your time learning about it, if none of you really know how to deal with it. Some sliding out there can be pretty frightening - whether it's you or someone else.
Living the American Dream

northstardc4m

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:45 pm

Me in snow/ice, not bad, certainly better than most of the other "drivers" i see.

Lessons i would LOVE to teach them:

1> Brake gently early!
2> steer INTO the skid and don't lock the brakes
3> don't drive along at 10kph in slush/snow, you just fishtail, maintain 40kph or so unless you literally can't steer.
4> maintain a longer distance and don't force yourself into traffic.
5> what ever you do, do NOT obstruct traffic in the middle/left lane. If traffic is moving too fast for you get off to the right hand lane. Obstructing traffic in slippery conditions is EXTREMELY dangerous, forcing other cars to brake then change lanes to get around you is asking for them to hit a slide right into you.

Yes, these seem like common sense, but there are way too many people round here that don't do any of them... And i'm really not looking forward to tomorrow...  worried  30cm of snow, possible freezing rain/flash freezing...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

greasespot

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:56 pm

I grew up on a farm in rural western canada...I can drive on a gravel road covererd in snow at 100+ kmh....Never hit the ditch or lost control...

Christine
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

2H4

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 36):
don't lock the brakes

Many people have gotten themselves into trouble attempting this in modern cars. If you've got ABS and need maximum braking, slamming on the pedal and holding it there will produce the shortest possible stopping distance and will maximize control.

Anyway, I'd be careful about teaching drivers to avoid locking the brakes. These days, I think it's difficult to find cars without ABS.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Flighty

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 2):
(Nokian WRs -- figured the Finns know a thing or two about driving in snow and ice)

Good. People say those are perfect. Snow tire traction, but all-year durability. For people with 6 month winters, their primary goal is grip and performance during the winter. Many people will want this "winter" rated all-season type tire.

It's a whole new category of tires. Not winter, not All-Season (which too often suck in the snow). In between. Very exciting! Expensive though.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 30):
And you've touched on the major problem with 4WD cars -- the operator. It amazes me that people can't grasp the fact that 4WD can get you moving very well (generally speaking),

4WD only helps you avoid getting stuck. For driving around, a FWD car with traction control and ESP (to cancel the plowing steering freezeup of the FWD) is going to be just as good as AWD.

My car is FWD and it is fantastic in the snow. Thanks to traction control and ESP. TC doubles your winter traction, while ESP cures the winter handling faults of FWD. The result is AWD performance, but a little slower. I'll take it.

jutes85

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 39):
For driving around, a FWD car with traction control and ESP (to cancel the plowing steering freezeup of the FWD) is going to be just as good as AWD.

Uhh, no.
nothing

Molykote

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
Of course the most important element are the tires. Summer tires turn into slicks in the cold, and so-called "all-weather" tires are a joke - neither good for summer or winter. Winter tires make a huge difference - to the point that you are constantly looking in your mirrors because your braking distances are a fraction of the guy's behind you.

Spot on.

All season tires are passable with some FWD vehicles but I still think the separate summer/winter tire solution is the way to go. On a RWD vehicle such as a BMW the summer/winter tire solution is the only way to go if you live in a snowy climate.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

ronglimeng

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:05 pm

I'm not sure what a "good driver" is. Some kind of special handling and steering skill or just driving with common sense?
Sometimes I'm less attentive to the road than I should be, but generally I feel I'm more cautious than many other drivers.

I've been on Highway 401 here in Southern Ontario, wondering why the hell people are going so fast and then a few kilometres down the road I see a couple of them spun out. I would rather drive a back road through a blizzard than mix it up with the trucks and cars and idiots on the 401 when there is a light snow falling.

I haven't been in the ditch myself since 1974. Once was enough.

Since radial tires and front wheel drive vehicles became common, I haven't felt the need for snowtires. Haven't had a set since 1981.

ACDC8

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 pm

Tires are the second most important factor in winter (or any condition/season) driving. Common sense is the most important factor.

Personally, I prefer a RWD car on snowy roads, much easier to control, although I do try to avoid any steep hills with them. I also find that they (RWD cars) really teach you how different winter conditions are compared to summer conditions.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

IH8BY

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 pm

Welcome to central Oxford... even if it's snowing outside the ring road, it darn well won't snow within it! Never had a chance to drive in snow, and even ice is unusual. The lowest temperature I've seen my car register is about 1*C, and I reckon it was about right.

Dunno how my Fabia would cope, but probably well enough given that the roads round here aren't exactly challenging. If it was really bad I just wouldn't go out.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

DAL767400ER

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 12):
Not too good.

Oh yeah, still remember that vid. Pretty f*cked up roads.

So far only had one case where I slid in a small sidestreet with the speed of a slouch and got stopped by the curb. Other than that, no troubles so far. That said, I try to avoid driving when there's freezing rain, not worth any risk.

aerobalance

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:45 pm

I'm an excellent driver

I've done about 100 days of snow driving in non-traction controlled or vehicle stability control enhanced vehicles. Never had an incident or accident.  Smile
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AverageUser
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:55 pm

Inspired by 2H4's contribution, I decided to share some snapshots on my route today. This is the fourth of fifth day this winter we have some snow & ice to show (it's about minus 1 degree C), but another spell of thaw is forecast coming.

The traffic on the crossing road is doing about 50 km/h.

Clearly a no-fishtailing area.

Your typical city setup. The dudes you see are typical as well.

More people on foot. Yes, the person with a grey beard is a real professor. Although my camera's stuck on "wide angle" I hope you can see the distance I like to keep to the car in front of me.

The light is low, it's slippery, and it's an oops for someone. The spun-off person has some friendly company already so I'm heading for home.

I try to be as gentle as possible with the controls, except for the brake pedal. I test the feel of the brakes constantly (appreciating other traffic) as surface qualities change and try to determine the point of "sledging" where your brakes will become ineffective, and the steering wheel your only rescue device.
Also I tend to observe the traffic behind me a lot, could be my focus is in fact _more_ towards the rear mirrors than the windshield. I don't like being surprised, and we have these self-proclaimed kings of the roads everywhere these days

[Edited 2008-01-31 16:19:29]

JAGflyer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 am

I am a good driver on ice/snow. If the roads are slippery or not plowed well I drive at a lower speed and maintain significant distance between the cars in front and behind me. A few weeks ago I was driving after very heavy snow on a street with a limit of 50km/h but the roads were not plowed. I drove at 30km/h as to make sure I was safe. People passed me and that was their choice. I do what I need to do to feel safe.

I do not use snow tires and I get along just fine.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

jutes85

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:12 am

This is what my daily commute constists of. 10km of back woods with not a soul. Big grin

http://xs112.xs.to/xs112/07071/sti4.jpg
nothing