allstarflyer

Five Most Important Issues To You This Election

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:56 am

CNN has an interesting chart that shows where the candidates stand on each issue (17 listed - with some of them overlapping issues, IMO).

In case anyone can't get the link (and I wouldn't know why - it's CNN, but you never know) - the list goes: Abortion, Economic stimulus, Education, Energy, Environment, Free Trade, Guns, Health Care, Homeland Security, Housing, Immigration, Iran, Iraq, Same-sex marriage, Social Security, Stem Cell Research and Taxes.

Pick out the 5 most important to you from that list and briefly why, along w/your 1 most overrated. To me, they are . . .

Abortion - give the kids a voice.

Guns - it's our 2nd amendment right, plain and simple.

Immigration - our borders aren't really borders anymore, are they? I'd say Iraq, but we have to close the backdoor 1st.

Same-sex marriage - Social boundaries must be defined.

Taxes - who's going to stick it to us the least?

Overrated - Environment - We're not hurting the planet so badly.

By the end of this thread, we might at least have an idea what the most pressing issues are to the most amount of people. Please remain civil, if though you may completely (and, perhaps angrily) disagree with choices and reasons. Debate's ok here, in the form of civil disagreement at most.
Living the American Dream

Superfly

RE: Five Most Important Issues To You This Election

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:03 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Thread starter):

You mean give the kids a choice?
If a teenage girl or any woman gets pregnant, she should be able to have an abortion. It should be between her and her doctor. Keep it safe, sanitary and legal.

Guns - it's our 2nd amendment right, plain and simple.

checkmark 

Important issues to me.
Health care, particularly for the poor
Education
Jobs
Improving relations with other nations tarnished by the Bush administration
Strengthening the US Dollar
Getting out of Iraq
Bring back the Concorde

lobster

RE: Five Most Important Issues To You This Electio

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:09 am

Unfortunately thats a major voting point for people. I don't care what side of the fence people are on, it should be a non-governmental issue. It's a private issue between a woman and her doctor.

Same-sex marriage - Social boundaries must be defined.

Same as above. I don't think it's the governments duty to tell it's citizens who can and can't marry. Unfortunately the Republican party is becoming more "Christian" and more concerned with God than this countries own people.

For me my top concerns are

1. Military. I want more support for National Guard and Reserve Troops, more benefits for soldiers and their families, and better housing. I would also like a President who would let the commanders over their do their job.

2. 2nd Amendment. Don't dare try and take my guns away!! I think we should develop a national concealed carry course and have a universal permit so I can take my gun with me to every state, same laws apply. ( I'm dreaming I know)

3. Immigration reform. I'm all about letting them come here and work, but LEGALLY. Take the ones who are here now and ship their asses back. After seeing some videos on the internet, I have no sympathy especially for the Mexican illegals.

4. Taxes. I'm sick of paying them. Period.

5. International policy. We need someone who is tough, yet can smooze the daylights out of someone. GW sure wasn't it.

jonathan-l

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:02 am

Healthcare
High-school education
Strengthening the $
Reducing our dependency to oil
More diplomacy-oriented foreign policy

miamiair

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:34 am

Military/GWOT: Support it.

Guns: Support 2A as an individual right.

Homeland Security: Support it

National Health Care: System needs attention/overhaul

Immigration: Stop illegals.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

kc135topboom

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:44 am

1. Military/GWOT- Fully support it.

2. Guns- Come and get mine, if you dare.

3. Illegal immigration- send them all back, then seal the boarders.

4. Economy/Taxes- Fix the economy and lower the taxes, make Bush's tax cuts permanent.

5. Social Security- It's my money the crooks in Washington spent, now they need to fix it, and fix it now.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Most over-rated issues that are really non-issues: Immigration. Non-starter. Just populist hate.

Fix:

Iraqmire

Energy

Health Care

Tax Reform

Education

Basically I look at the 5 above issues as an all in 1 issue.... Economic. Our economic well being needs to be reformed via better education (which doesn't necessarily mean more money), reforms to our energy policy to SUBSTANTIALLY rid us of our need for fossil fuel, health care & tax reform so employers can concentrate on running their companies effectively without massive health care bills. Phase-ins of value added tax to replace income tax. A solid move away from adding miles of additional freeways to fix our existing ones and add effective mass transit options. Encourage cities financially to keep low growth footprints to their metro areas. If we fundamentally change these things many of the other issues go away.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 6):
Most over-rated issues that are really non-issues: Immigration. Non-starter. Just populist hate.

Your other positions are reasoned and sensible but this is just mind-boggling. By what measure does immigration not fall under consideration as an economic issue??
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):
Your other positions are reasoned and sensible but this is just mind-boggling. By what measure does immigration not fall under consideration as an economic issue??

I'm saying the impact immigration is having on you (the average individual) is next to nil. If you fix the tax code and health care issues, the "negatives" many love to spew about immigration disappear.

Immigration issues is simply hate/fear mongering by vested interests to keep you (average voter) distracted from the real topics at hand. Is drunk driving a problem? Sure, you bet. Is a "big" problem that needs the Federal Govt to step in to solve, and a politico to spend his/her political capital on? Nope. Immigration is the same thing.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 8):
If you fix the tax code and health care issues, the "negatives" many love to spew about immigration disappear.

You make it sound simple to do so when it's not. And you completely forgot to mention wage depression and an unofficial preference for illegal labor with certain exploitative industries. I don't buy it one bit.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 9):
You make it sound simple to do so when it's not. And you completely forgot to mention wage depression and an unofficial preference for illegal labor with certain exploitative industries. I don't buy it one bit.

I never said it was "simple". The thread was about top issues. It's not like any of those issues can be "fixed" overnight or even within one Presidential term.

"Wage depression"? Has your personal wages been cut / "depressed"? I'm not sure what industry you are in, so am curious if you have felt this issue first hand, directly.

aace24

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Homeland security

Long term tax relief

Improving the Military

Immigration

Stabalizing the economy.

These are the things that are most important to me, and what I think this country needs to improve upon vastly.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:01 pm

If you feel like clarifying, I'd be interested.

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 11):
Homeland security

What does this mean to you? Unfortunately it has become a buzz word for many groups these days, so I honestly don't know what you think should/shouldn't be done.

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 11):
Improving the Military

Likewise with this. Is that more money for the military? Less war & engagements? More veterans help? All of that?

miamiair

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 12):
Likewise with this. Is that more money for the military? Less war & engagements? More veterans help? All of that?

All of the above, minus less war. If there is peace, fine, but there isn't any in certain places at the moment.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 12):
What does this mean to you? Unfortunately it has become a buzz word for many groups these days, so I honestly don't know what you think should/shouldn't be done.

Getting the proper equipment and training for the proper people.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 13):
All of the above, minus less war. If there is peace, fine, but there isn't any in certain places at the moment.

That makes sense. I always have been against the Iraq mess and still am. I was in favor of Afghanistan. However, I wanted to pour resources into Afghanistan. Troops and reconstruction. If we were going to "build a beacon to democracy" I thought Afghanistan should have been it. It was/is a small enough country that it was doable. The stark comparisons could then be clearly shown of a free, democratic, nation vs. one under Soviet rule, or radical religious rule. Instead, we did Afghanistan "on the cheap". Now, the Taliban rule much of the countryside, and the US is losing the backing of the people slowly, day by day.

Also, as much as I was against Iraqmire and voiced my opinion loud and clear, but when we went anyway I was the biggest supporter of sending 1/2 million men. Overwhelming force. But alas, we didn't do that either.

I have spent a fair amount of time in central and South America. I see so many remnants of sloppy, dysfunctional US policies and involvement strategies there, so it's easier to understand why some are bitter towards the US.

AirCop

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:33 pm

1. Economy
2. The Iraq mess
3. Health Care affordability- single payer system and you still have a choice of where you want to go.

Agree, and most people don't realize that immigration isn't just with Mexico, we have a member of our HOA board that has overstayed his student visa that expired in 1994 and he is from Germany.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 14):
I was in favor of Afghanistan. However, I wanted to pour resources into Afghanistan. Troops and reconstruction. If we were going to "build a beacon to democracy" I thought Afghanistan should have been it. It was/is a small enough country that it was doable.

One would think so, but no outside power has ever won in Afghanistan. Did you see the movie Charlie Wilson's War, this is exactly was he wanted to do, but President RR was against it.

WrenchBender

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:39 pm

There's actually issues in this election  eyepopping  , so far all I've seen is mud slinging, backstabbing, and out and out lying. And we haven't even decided who is going to actually run yet.

People wonder why Britney or American Idol holds such interest for the majority of the population, when the disgusting display(that passes for electioneering) drags on for so long.

Just my  twocents 

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:47 pm

Economy- Without the economy nothing else matters. There will be no funding for anything else.

Health Care- I believe that Americans should have comprehensive health care and we should regulate the drug industry so that we don't have to pay so much for the same drugs available in Canada for half the price. We also need to put a cap on doctor's liability. Some doctors refuse to give birth to babies now because they lose so much money from lawsuits. The most evil entity in the world is medical insurance and if the government is paying for it, rest assured they will put them in line.

FAA Users Fees- I will not vote for a president who will support general aviation user fees.

Oil Alternative Research- Time to stop giving all of the Saudi's money to buy our corporations and lives. Time to help the environment. Time to help with gas prices. Bush actually contributed quite a bit of funding 1.3 billion? toward hydrogen research but more drastic measures need to be done.

Hannah Montana ticket prices- WTF does a man have to do to get good tickets?  Wink
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 17):
FAA Users Fees- I will not vote for a president who will support general aviation user fees.

I'm unfamiliar with this topic. Would you happen to have a quick link to pros/cons side of the debate?

I only fly as a passenger regularly for business, so don't pay attention to general aviation for the most part.

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 2):
I don't care what side of the fence people are on, it should be a non-governmental issue. It's a private issue between a woman and her doctor.

Err. How does that work. You don't care what side of the fence people are on, but they should believe your opinion?  Smile Really, abortion is not a key issue for me but I see both sides of the argument as valid.

I forgot to mention Immigration.

Apparently Evilforce isn't aware that over 15 billion dollars of our economy is sent out of our country with remittences. Apparently he is not aware that they do not pay income taxes. Apparently he is not aware that immigrants are killed by the illegal trafficking with coyotes. Apparently he is not aware that illegals are exploited by businesses and individuals. Apparently he is not aware that the number of crimes committed by illegals who leave afterwards is substantial. Apparently he is not aware that illegal immigration keeps the wages of legal Americans decreased. Apparently he is not aware that it is flooding our healthcare system with people who are not able to pay. Some hospitals in southern Arizona have shut down their maternity wards because illegals were crossing over just to have babies (who are then naturalized) and then cross back over with not intention of paying. Apparently he isn't aware that millions of people are waiting to come to the US from Asia, Eastern Europe, and Africa but they are not allowed to because the jobs are already taken by illegal immigrants.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS A HUGE PROBLEM

Perhaps you should come down from North Carolina to Arizona or Southern California for awhile. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 19):
15 billion dollars of our economy is sent out of our country with remittences.

So? The American economy (GDP) is $ 13 trillion. That's what; 0.11% of our economy? How much of that money comes back as imports/exports anyway? 1/3? Our import/exports with Mexico totaled over $ 350 billion per year in 2007. (Source: http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/dst/current/balance.html ) Any idea how many remittences American expats abroad send home?

Apparently he is not aware that they do not pay income taxes.

Neither does Wesley Snipes. Or Leona Helmsley. Or Willie Nelson. Many illegal immigrants are using "fake" social security numbers and EIN #s. So they pay their payroll taxes, and the government turns a blind eye to it, knowing these are fake accounts.

Apparently he is not aware that illegal immigration keeps the wages of legal Americans decreased.

How so? Have you had your own, personal wages cut because of immigration somehow? I will also assume that you have never, ever, even once, hired someone as a day laborer, a landscaper or lawn helper, cleaning service, or other type job without checking their identity papers and immigration status?

Apparently he is not aware that it is flooding our healthcare system with people who are not able to pay.

Many people aren't paying. Why are they a bigger concern?

Some hospitals in southern Arizona have shut down their maternity wards because illegals were crossing over just to have babies (who are then naturalized) and then cross back over with not intention of paying.

Can your provide a link for this claim? Also, as a side note, a baby born on US soil is a citizen, with the full rights of American citizenship bestowed upon it. If you have a "problem" with this, you'll have to change the US Constitution to change it.

Apparently he isn't aware that millions of people are waiting to come to the US from Asia, Eastern Europe, and Africa but they are not allowed to because the jobs are already taken by illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigration from Mexico has nothing to do with how our State Dept./INS hands out immigration limits to other countries.

I never said the situation was ideal or even desirable. I don't like my ice cream getting freezer burnt. I hate the big pothole 2 blocks down the street from me. I think people wasting money on the lottery is a scam. I could list on and on what I think should be fixed or changed. But none of these examples merit much mental energy. Illegal immigration is the same thing. A big to do over nothing.

I assure you, a divorce, disabling accident, or layoff due to a merger is the average person's largest financial train-wreck that could happen if one isn't prepared, yet we don't get too worked up about that do we?

[Edited 2008-01-31 09:29:58]

MDorBust

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Education: Everything else is rather pointless if we produce ignorant schleps to run it all. And I don't mean just passing more students. I mean actually insuring they are educated. Yes, this means testing.

Guns: Anyone surprised?

Immigration: Lock it down and reform it. Bring people into that nation, but make sure they are part of the system when they come in.

Taxes: I would like to see the nation switch to a flat tax or a consumption tax instead of the convulted tax code we currently have.

Energy: We need to focus on developing energy independance and future energy technologies. That means building windmill farms and modern technology nuclear reactors. This will involve pissing off some NIMBYs but it needs doing.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 21):
Guns: Anyone surprised?

Guns? As an election issue? Guns aren't going anywhere. Is there a single candidate even talking about gun control issues?

***Satire DIsclaimer**** The statement below is not intended to reflect a real or possible scenario, but merely a satirical parody of said activity. The following may not be requoted / reposted / falsely attributed to me in any other thread here at a.netter. All rights reserved. Valid in all 50 states. May cause dizziness, headache, or swelling of the feet. Seek medical help at your leisure.****

My gut feel on the abortion / guns debate is to put the two groups into a big room, let the pro-abortion people suck the brains out of the gun nuts, and let the gun nuts shoot the pro-abortionists so we can finally get rid of these two single issue blocs of voters. Then perhaps the rest of us can move on with other more pressing issues. Abortion isn't going anywhere, and neither is gun control. Accept it, deal with it, move on.

MDorBust

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:05 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 22):
Guns? As an election issue? Guns aren't going anywhere. Is there a single candidate even talking about gun control issues?

Well yes. Both Hillary and Obama have clearly indicated that they want more strict gun laws which would include a re-institution of the '94 AWB.. and in Obamas case, outlawing all semi-automatic firearms.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 pm

Ok. I'm not wanting to derail this thread so this is my last response on this issue.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 20):
Our import/exports with Mexico totaled over $ 350 billion per year in 2007. (Source: http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/dst/current/balance.html ) Any idea how many remittences American expats abroad send home?

What does that have to do with illegal untaxed labor being sent out of the country?

Neither does Wesley Snipes. Or Leona Helmsley. Or Willie Nelson. Many illegal immigrants are using "fake" social security numbers and EIN #s. So they pay their payroll taxes, and the government turns a blind eye to it, knowing these are fake accounts.

Errr. Wesley Snipes will be in prison soon as was Leona. Willie was broke for quite awhile as well. Remember Capone? So they pay social security. Hmmm.

Take a look at your last check and tell me which was the greater reduction? SS or federal and state income tax? The deficit of not paying federal and state taxes FAR outweighs the paid social security.

How so? Have you had your own, personal wages cut because of immigration somehow? I will also assume that you have never, ever, even once, hired someone as a day laborer, a landscaper or lawn helper, cleaning service, or other type job without checking their identity papers and immigration status?

Yes. I have worked jobs in the past that were paid at minimum wage because there is such a large supply of cheap labor. I have worked a graveyard night cleaning job. I have worked landscape. I have worked cleaning aircraft with a contractor who was paid under the table. It trickles up as well. If there are less of these "under the table" jobs available to legitimate workers, that means that there will be more unemployed legitimate workers fighting for the same minimum wage jobs.

Many people aren't paying. Why are they a bigger concern?

This is a red herring number one. Secondly the percentage of illegals not paying is higher than the others.

Some hospitals in southern Arizona have shut down their maternity wards because illegals were crossing over just to have babies (who are then naturalized) and then cross back over with not intention of paying.

Can your provide a link for this claim?

More than just a link.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-05-17-arizona-mexicans_x.htm

Along the border from Chula Vista, Calif., to Brownsville, Texas, U.S. hospitals serve as a medical safety net for undocumented immigrants and residents of northern Mexico. Each year, their care costs American medical centers, consumers and taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars. During 2002, 38 Arizona medical centers surveyed by the Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association reported losses on foreign-national patients of $153 million.

-
Dickson says some pregnant women from Naco used to cross the border after going into labor, obtaining the best medical care plus citizenship for a newborn child.

That's no longer a problem because financial losses forced Copper Queen to close its maternity ward.

Illegal immigration is a disgusting thing in the US. I see it two ways. Firstly the illegals are taken advantage by coyotes, employers, and the US government. They are killed, extorted, afraid to report crimes, made to live in terrible circumstances, and are living in a hostile government.

The US citizens are being ripped off too. The millions of illegals flood the job market (as I have pointed out, even the lowest of low job markets being saturated effects every job all the way to the top), placing strain on our prison and hospital systems, and creating an underworld of crime where if someone does something, they merely just go back home.

The ones who benefit are the Corporations and Mexico. The revenue from illegal immigrants sending money to Mexico is 2nd in revenue besides their oil industry. The Mexican government has and never will want illegal immigration to stop. It is a cash cow for them. Some of the Mexican municipalities have even produced guides to help them come over. I remember one mayor in the Yucatan defending this because the money sent back allowed them to build a new church. Our corporations and people who utilize illegal immigrants want to do so because they can exploit them with long hours, low wages, and no health care.

The government is FINALLY realizing how terrible this problem is. They have allowed it to happen for a long time. It is time to shut down the businesses that hire illegals. It will allow legal immigrants to come and be protected by the Department of Labor, to make decent wages, to have healthcare, and to possibly achieve citizenship. It will destroy the seedy underworld that has been growing in the US.

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 pm

But none of these examples merit much mental energy. Illegal immigration is the same thing. A big to do over nothing.

I guess it isn't that big up there. Perhaps you should see it here, then you might get an idea of how severe the situation is.

AirCop

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:25 pm

Also, as a side note, a baby born on US soil is a citizen, with the full rights of American citizenship bestowed upon it. If you have a "problem" with this, you'll have to change the US Constitution to change it.

Here is Arizona, we have a idiot Republican member of the State House that has gotten measures on the ballot and passed that deal with illegal immigration; most of them are flawed in some aspect; and are tied up in the courts, but his latest that he is trying for is exactly this if your parents are here from another country, and you were born here, you don't qualify for citizenship, never mind that it is in violation of the US Constitution. Such logic taken to the extreme would prevent babies of US military members born in other countries from being US citizens at birth, and someone could challenge John McCain run for the White House under the same concept since he wasn't born in the continental United States.

Education: Everything else is rather pointless if we produce ignorant schleps to run it all. And I don't mean just passing more students. I mean actually insuring they are educated. Yes, this means testing.

Firm believer that education is a local issue, we should be teaching our young adults more than how to pass a standardized test.

EvilForce

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:50 pm

Rather than derail this thread with an immigration thread, I'll just start one for that topic specifically and expand on my thoughts of why it's not a real problem, but an imagined one.

Superfly

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:54 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 27):
Rather than derail this thread with an immigration thread, I'll just start one for that topic specifically and expand on my thoughts of why it's not a real problem, but an imagined one.

checkmark 
Now if there is any issues that is "over rated" it's certainly the immigration issue. Big business is very happy with the current immigration situation so it is not going to change.
Bring back the Concorde

PSA53

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
Health care, particularly for the poor

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 3):
Reducing our dependency to oil

Agree with those points along with cleaning out the banking systems and CEO exit compensations plans which seems to
award them for running a company into the ground.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Now if there is any issues that is "over rated" it's certainly the immigration issue

Fly.This is one I have to disagree with you on.Our welfare social programs are abused and or denied to those who really need it.Health and education systems,are overloaded,overburden and undermanned. Hospitals are closing everywhere.Billions of dollars,untaxed money,going south.It is time for the American public to tell Mexico to start to taking care of it's own people. Americans first!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Confuscius

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Now if there is any issues that is "over rated" it's certainly the immigration issue.

That's basically a Republican issue. Hispanics, the Right's new bogeyman.

Now to more important issues...

YES on:

1. Prop 94
2. Prop 95
3. Prop 96
4. Prop 97
More one-arm bandits at Indian casinos.

5. Prop 93
Fabian Núñez and Dom Perata need to stay longer in the Legislature.

Big grin
Ain't I a stinker?

cfalk

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Top Priority: Reducing the bureacracy, the taxes and paperwork the government forces on individuals and businesses, who make the country work. Unfortunately, none of the candidates have expressed any interest in this - apart from Ron Paul, who is crazy.

2) Fix immigration. We should know everyone who crosses our border, where he's from, and where he lives in the US.

3) Iraq. The commanders on the scene must have carte blanche to do what they feel is necessary. If Washington does not like what is happening, it can replace the commanders, and if we don't like their choice, we can replace those in Washington. But never, EVER establish tactics, strategy, or announce deadlines and troop caps from Washington.

4) Moderate economic growth. Not too fast (inflationary, plus people get a little crazy and value a $5 widget at a gazillion dollars- see the 90's tech boom), and not too slow. Easy and predictable. The Bush admin has fairly well with this recently (until this month, anyway).

5) Appoint more strict constructionists on the Supreme Court and all Federal courts.

6) Right to abortion, gay rights, etc. - I have the right not to give a damn.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 30):
YES on:

1. Prop 94
2. Prop 95
3. Prop 96
4. Prop 97
More one-arm bandits at Indian casinos.

Thanks Confuscius!
I wasn't sure how I was going to vote on those Props until now.
The only problem I have with those Indian casinos here in California is that they don't serve free cocktails like the casinos in Nevada.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 29):
Fly.This is one I have to disagree with you on.Our welfare social programs are abused and or denied to those who really need it.Health and education systems,are overloaded,overburden and undermanned. Hospitals are closing everywhere.Billions of dollars,untaxed money,going south.It is time for the American public to tell Mexico to start to taking care of it's own people. Americans first!

You are correct but in this country, big business interest always comes first and it's really sad.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:42 pm

Actually, my biggest issue is one that isn't presented here--and that is the ineffectiveness and irresponsibility demonstrated by Congress.

We have lawmakers whom WE elect and pay for who don't even fulfill the job. I'm talking BOTH sides of the aisle. Have you seen half the bills they come up with? Stuff like "A resolution to place a commemorative plaque on the 33rd Street Post Office honoring so and so." The vast majority of these bills are useless to the American people, and when they do come up with meaningful legislation, many Congresspeople don't even show up to vote.

Then they get tangled up with lobbyists, etc.

Everyone loves to blame the current administration (regardless of who the administration is at any given time) but the fact is that Congress is more to blame for any of this crap. Administrations will change but the systematic problems of our Congress that are the cancer of our nation will continue.

Elite

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:48 pm

1) Fix the economy and strengthen the US dollar once again
2) Immigration - secure our borders, do not grant legal citizenship to any illegal immigrants and make sure we know who is coming in to our country and, more importantly, who isn't leaving.
3) Same sex marriage - get a federal amendment to ban same-sex marriages or civil unions.
4) Give us the right to bear arms but not to past violent criminals
5) Iraq and Iran - stay in Iraq until the terrorists are defeated and use force if necessary against Iran.

Aaron747

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 34):
use force if necessary against Iran.

get a federal amendment to ban same-sex marriages or civil unions.

Glad you're not running for anything. Care to explain what kind of reasoning you have employed to support banning civil unions?

Use force against Iran? What do you even know about Iran?

EvilForce

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:10 pm

1) Fix the economy and strengthen the US dollar once again

How can a President (any President) "fix" the economy? As far as "strengthening" the US Dollar your #5 desire precludes that from happening any time soon.

2) Immigration - secure our borders, do not grant legal citizenship to any illegal immigrants and make sure we know who is coming in to our country and, more importantly, who isn't leaving.

Never going to happen.

3) Same sex marriage - get a federal amendment to ban same-sex marriages or civil unions.

Never going to happen.

4) Give us the right to bear arms but not to past violent criminals

You already have this right. No one is proposing any different.

5) Iraq and Iran - stay in Iraq until the terrorists are defeated and use force if necessary against Iran.

Terrorists? The terrorists from 9/11 aren't in Iraq. Never were. Still aren't.

Use force against Iran? LOL. Hello $ 135 a barrel oil. "Fixing" the economy will be a bit more difficult then.

Duff44

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:36 pm

1) Iraq
I feel the war in Iraq has gone on too long. I have heard this administration say "until the job is done". What will constitute that? Once that is defined so that the people can understand it, then we can talk about a long-term plan for Iraq's future and a possible draw-down of US troops in the region. I agree that withdrawing the troops immediately would be disastrous, but we need to start heading that direction at some point. Staying in Iraq indefinitely is not in the best interest of the US.

2) Social Security/Health Care/Taxes
I had to combine these, because they're too related not to. The bottom line is, fundamental changes need to be made to the system before recommitting billions of dollars at health care and social security programs.
On the health care side, costs are just plain too high. Drug companies use people's need to fleece them when a new medication hits the market. On the other side of that, doctor's malpractice insurance has reached downright ridiculous levels. Another way to reduce health care costs is to invest in the prevention and cure of lifestyle diseases (diabetes, heart disease, etc). Those aren't all the issues that need solving, but give an example of how broad the problem is.
I may be one of the few, but I support a semi-privatization of social security. The 6.2% that's currently taken out of our income should go into a 401(k)-like account, which nobody but the contributor can touch. Then shore-up the funding of the plan for those in the social security 'classic' system so it is there when those people need it.
In addition, I support prohibition of any elected official or party from owning stock in, taking retirement money from, or taking lobbyist money from any industry which he/she has the power to regulate with legislation. This should be a Constitutional amendment.

3) Energy/Environment
Another combination. The power grid in the US needs to be diversified with renewable technologies so that the dependence on fossil fuels is reduced. This benefit is twofold... we stop pumping fossil fuel byproducts into the air, and we stop sending our money to middle-eastern nations with questionable governments.
Auto fuel prices must be brought down by using biofuel technology and by creation of more public transport options in areas that need it. Usage of recognized public transport should be rewarded with a tax writeoff.

4) Education
This is a problem that I don't have a good fix for. It seems like kids are more disinterested than ever in getting a good education, especially in inner cities (not that the schools are the best environments, either). I'd be very open to hearing ideas on this one.

5) Immigration
I break this down two ways: those who want to work in the USA but live in Mexico (or Canada, I suppose), and those who want to remain in the USA. Those who just want to work here should be allowed to do so, pending a background check. If their information can't be verified, they can't come here.
Those who want to remain in the US must be required to apply for US citizenship or leave. One requirement to remain in the US must be to learn English, which might require making it the official language to enforce. Anyone coming here should only be allowed to collect a prorated portion of the normal benefits extended to life-long citizens. As long as immigrants are making documented progress towards US citizenship, they should be allowed to remain here while they do so.
This right should be extended to anyone currently in the US illegally pending background checks.

Most overrated issues: Guns
The 2nd amendment still exists... it's not going anywhere. You want to stop gun crimes? Stop the flow of illegal guns coming into this country (which I would put under Homeland Security), and require EVERY gun purchase to have a background check.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

rwsea

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:56 pm

1) Restoring America's image in the world.
2) Not sacrificing our environment for short-term corporate wealth.
3) Ensuring that everyone has access to health care.
4) Defining benchmarks for the Iraq war, with an exit strategy when those benchmarks are realized.
5) Making smart investments at home (infrastructure, education, etc.) to strengthen our economy in the long run.

L-188

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 16):
There's actually issues in this election

Yup, who would have thunk it?

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 22):
Is there a single candidate even talking about gun control issues?

Not really, because the ones that are pushing for gun control know it is a loosing issue for them, it is part of the reason that the democrats lost congress in 94.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 23):
Well yes. Both Hillary and Obama have clearly indicated that they want more strict gun laws which would include a re-institution of the '94 AWB.. and in Obamas case, outlawing all semi-automatic firearms.

Obama just gave a speech in Idaho where he said wasn't anti-gun. So he is definately running away from his record on the issue.

My primary issues.

1. Protecting the 2nd amendment and the publics rights to keep and bear arms.
2. The economy, we don't need mismanagement of it, like the democrats running it like Carter did.
3. Military, they need support and not be used by anti-americans as a political tool, like Murtha does.
4. Health Care....Keep good care, keep it private and accountable
5. Immigration. Legal ok and wanted, illegal not wanted and those people need to be thrown out of their arses.

Honorable mention:Reducing dependence on oil from overseas. That is a combination of using alternatives such as bio-diesel and ethanol to strech out the fuel, and opening the 1002 area of Alaska, which was left available for oil exploration by ANILCA.

[Edited 2008-02-02 14:41:02]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

bhill

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:22 pm

Funny thing us Americans..did you know that more registered voters watched the Superbowl than voted in the last Presidential Election? In 2004 The Nielsen ratings found that 143.6 million registered voters watched the Superbowl, and 123.5 million voted for a president. Shame...
Carpe Pices

dc10s2hnl

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:52 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 38):

1) Restoring America's image in the world.
2) Not sacrificing our environment for short-term corporate wealth.
3) Ensuring that everyone has access to health care.
4) Defining benchmarks for the Iraq war, with an exit strategy when those benchmarks are realized.
5) Making smart investments at home (infrastructure, education, etc.) to strengthen our economy in the long run.

checkmark  Exactly! (I don't understand why so many people are so short-sighted in this day in age... ADD?)

I don't mean just passing more students. I mean actually insuring they are educated. Yes, this means testing.

Umm... shouldn't our concentration and the money be placed on quality TEACHING and not just on an obsessive emphasis on testing? In a poorly-performing school district, desperation from the school board leads teachers to focus their teaching on the All-Important Test which will determine if there will be federal funds the next year... and in the process the kids and staff get screwed over by an inflexible, one-size fits all standard. That's not the way to "educate" an important generation that will have many, many problems to solve in the future!

TedTAce

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:08 am

For me it's really simple:

Who is going to get all those greedy lying bastards (on both sides of the isle) out of Washington DC?

As long as this government can be influenced; it's worthless.
This space intentionally left blank

redngold

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:12 am

1. Honesty
2. Honesty
3. Honesty
4. Honesty
5. Honesty

Sorely lacking from most politics and politicians these days; at least give it to me straight so I can figure out what my part is in fixing our messed up world.
Up, up and away!

EvilForce

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 43):
1. Honesty
2. Honesty
3. Honesty
4. Honesty
5. Honesty

Sorely lacking from most politics and politicians these days; at least give it to me straight so I can figure out what my part is in fixing our messed up world.

But every time a candidate is open and honest, or shows their real personality they get blasted, beat down, and punished for doing so.

American voters by in large will only listen to sound bytes, and never investigate the actual basis of the claim, and so everything a politio says is scripted and pre-screened. Sad but true.

NKP S2

Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:30 pm

1) Illegal immigration

2) Economy: Present form of what is in essence a functional plutocracy, is unsustainable and will lead to lead to much unrest, if not an outright revolution.

3 ) Alternative Energy source creation/use:. Major push beyond studying/dabbling.

4 ) 2nd Amendment: Strongly support

Only 4. That would about do it.

redngold

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:11 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 44):
But every time a candidate is open and honest, or shows their real personality they get blasted, beat down, and punished for doing so.

Well, I think Bush was honest in 2004 when he said, the day before the election, "It comes down to who you trust." And look - he won...  duck 
Up, up and away!

stasisLAX

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:09 am

Here's this Libertarian's top 5 issues for this election -

1. Immediate end to the occupation of Iraq. We have chased non-existent weapons of mass destruction instead of the terrorists who killed nearly three thousand Americans on 9/11. The US policies in Iraq are creating more terrorists on a daily basis because of our intervention in Iraq. We went after the wrong bad guys and are now stuck in the middle of a vicious civil war. Now is the time for U.S. forces to begin an orderly withdraw from Iraq in a manner consistent with the safety of our troops.

2. Reduction of individuals civil liberties as stated the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution. Americans have seen repeated government attempts to circumvent or even blatantly disregard the most basic of our guaranteed personal liberties. Rarely a day passes where there isn't some major scandal mentioned in the press regarding situations like Guantanamo Bay, the Patriot Act, the Real ID Act, secret prisons, the use of torture or domestic spying. The government may snoop into the most personal of your mail or your e-mail and you will not even know they were there. People are arrested and held without trial or legal representation. Sometimes they are even tortured - as seen by the recent "waterboarding" fiasco and the destruction of CIA video tapes of tortured suspects. And the United States is supposedly a worldwide beacon for democracy?

3. Drug prohibition does more to make Americans unsafe than any other factor. Just as alcohol prohibition gave us Al Capone and the mafia, drug prohibition has given us violent drug gangs and drive-by shootings. America's murder rate rose nearly 70% during alcohol prohibition, but returned to its previous levels after prohibition ended. Now, since the so-called "War on Drugs" began, America's murder rate has doubled. Drug prohibition is putting innocent lives at risk. Drug prohibition also inflates the cost of drugs, leading users to steal to support their high priced habits. It is estimated that drug addicts commit 25% of all auto thefts, 40% of robberies and assaults, and 50% of burglaries and larcenies. Prohibition puts private property at great risk as well.

4. Complete lack of federal government fiscal responsibility. While we are amassing a tremendous federal deficit, many average Americans are forced to make tough financial decisions about retirement, health insurance, home mortgages, food and fuel costs, and educating their children. The Congress and the White House must immediately cease the wasteful federal spending so we can pare down the national debt and significantly increase the amount of money taxpayers get to keep. The federal debts are not going away - now taxpayers pay the huge amounts of interest on the federal debt to foreign governments that own our debt - to countries like China. The huge federal deficit is weighing down the overall US economy - coupled with the home mortgage/credit crisis, this situation will likely led to a deep recession later this year and into 2009 according to numerous economists.

5. Revise the criminal justice system so it is both smart and tough. Respect the victim's rights and make criminals pay full restitution. Hold all criminals responsible for their actions. Increase the police resources available for the prevention of serious crimes. Reduce the number of violent criminals at large on our streets. Defend the most effective crime deterrent available, the private ownership of guns. Finally, nearly one half of all police resources are earmarked to stopping drug trafficking, instead of preventing violent crimes like rape, murder, armed robbery, and child molestation.

[Edited 2008-02-04 19:16:32]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin