N1120A
Topic Author

Jesse Jackson Stands Up For MLB Umpires

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:38 am

Well, I guess all the people who claim Jackson is a "racist" who looks to blame white people for anything and everything have some explaining to do here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3224312

Turns out, Rev. Jackson is out in support of white umpires who are having all sorts of bizarre and inappropriate questions to their neighbors behind their backs, including whether they belong to the KKK.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

halls120

RE: Jesse Jackson Stands Up For MLB Umpires

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting N1120A (Thread starter):
Well, I guess all the people who claim Jackson is a "racist" who looks to blame white people for anything and everything have some explaining to do here.

Are you seriously suggesting that one non-racist move by the good reverend offsets all of his prior racist activities?

rotfl 

Didn't realize that April 1st had already arrived.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

N1120A
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:05 am

Looks like the usual suspects are devoid of the ability to admit Jesse Jackson does good things.

ORFflyer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
Looks like the usual suspects are devoid of the ability to admit Jesse Jackson does good things.

Oh he does - I'll admit it.

But then he wakes up again......

aace24

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 3):

But then he wakes up again......

checkmark 

People used to listen to what he had to say, but he's pretty much lost all credibility these days.

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Jesse dresses reasonably well and Hitler was an alright painter. Happy?
E pur si muove -Galileo

LTU932

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:40 pm

What do you expect if he and Al Sharpton constantly wave the "race flag" whenever an African-American gets arrested, even if that person gets arrested for something he truely commited.  Yeah sure

D L X

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 pm

It's called prejudice.

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:01 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

It's called prejudice.

Bullshit, just because people voice their disapproval of some one of color does not imply that they are prejudiced. I consider you comment raciest.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Queso

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Kudos to Jackson on this one, if he has no other hidden agenda. Knowing his history though, I can't help but think that he has some other purpose for what he's doing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):
I consider you comment raciest.

I'd have to agree with that.

MDorBust

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Okay, so I guess I have to be the first person to ask the obvious question... What is wrong with MLB conducting extensive background checks on it's employees including determining membership in known hate groups?

BTW:

Quote:
"In a year with the injustice of Jena Six, nooses hung around the country and the Tiger Woods-Golfweek scandal, Major League Baseball's false impersonations of friendships and ill-contrived questions further press sensitive racial stereotypes, with no basis for suspicion," Jackson said. "They have essentially defamed their people in their own neighborhoods."

redflag 

I would expect any major organization to ask these types of questions. If any of you have ever applied for security clearance, you would know that questions much more personal than this get asked of your neighbors.

Kinda like:

Quote:
Do you know if umpire 'X' is a member of the Ku Klux Klan? Does he grow marijuana plants? Does he beat his wife? Have you seen the police at his home? Does he throw wild parties?"

Looks like standad stuff to me.

Notice no one is saying MLB called it's umpires wife beaters, or pot heads... which makes us wonder why the KKK question is being lambasted... Hmmmmm...  scratchchin 

Looks like standard attention whoring douchebaggery to me.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

D L X

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:26 pm

Bullshit, just because people voice their disapproval of some one of color does not imply that they are prejudiced

"Prejudice" means that you will judge beforehand, and will not be swayed. You've judged JJ already, and will not be swayed.

I consider you comment raciest[sic].

Good for you.

Quoting Queso (Reply 9):
Kudos to Jackson on this one, if he has no other hidden agenda.

Kudos to you Queso, that you can see that even someone you do not like can occasionally do the right thing.

Flighty

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:29 pm

There is a difference between racist and raciest. Jesse may be racist, or may have been in the past. But we must not call him racy.

N1120A
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 10):
What is wrong with MLB conducting extensive background checks on it's employees including determining membership in known hate groups?

Well, for one, it denies them freedom of association. Second, and the crux of the grievance here, is that the questioning looks an awful lot like MLB is asserting these things as fact to their neighbors

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 10):

Notice no one is saying MLB called it's umpires wife beaters, or pot heads...

They are accused of implying this as well.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):

What do you expect if he and Al Sharpton constantly wave the "race flag" whenever an African-American gets arrested, even if that person gets arrested for something he truely commited.

Complete and total overstatement.

Queso

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):

What do you expect if he and Al Sharpton constantly wave the "race flag" whenever an African-American gets arrested, even if that person gets arrested for something he truely commited.

But he's closer to the truth than not.

MDorBust

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:49 pm

Well, for one, it denies them freedom of association.

Which you don't have when you work for a major corporation. Companies are fully within their rights to terminate your employment for belonging to hate groups. If I found out one of my guys belonged to such a group they would be out on their asses faster than they could blink.

Second, and the crux of the grievance here, is that the questioning looks an awful lot like MLB is asserting these things as fact to their neighbors

They are accused of implying this as well.

Uh huh, yeah..

Quote:
To try to link our umpires to the Ku Klux Klan is highly offensive. It is essentially defaming the umpires in their communities by conducting a very strange and poorly executed investigation. It resembles kind of secret police in some kind of despotic nation

... I guess I just missed where in there those other things are..

You've lived a very short life in corporate America. I suggest you get used to this. It's in your future.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

aace24

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:10 pm

It's completely true though.

How do you explain his defense of Mike Vick?

If it had been Tom Brady in the same situation, I highly doubt Jesse would have been running to his defense.

D L X

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 16):
If it had been Tom Brady in the same situation, I highly doubt Jesse would have been running to his defense.

Why? This is hardly the first time that JJ has come to the defense of people who are not black.

aace24

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 17):
Why? This is hardly the first time that JJ has come to the defense of people who are not black.

But he defends African Americans, even when they are clearly guilty.

halls120

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 3):

I'm sure that rev. Jackson has done many positive things for humanity during his stay on earth. Problem is, they are grossly outweighed by all the harm he has caused.

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

It's called prejudice.

No, it's called reality. What you and others are doing is whipping out the race card where it doesn't belong.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AirCop

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Thread starter):
Turns out, Rev. Jackson is out in support of white umpires who are having all sorts of bizarre and inappropriate questions to their neighbors behind their backs, including whether they belong to the KKK.

Perhaps bizarre questions, but remember over the past decade some umpires have run afoul of the law (especially tax issues); a one or two has utter racist remarks, so maybe baseball is just trying to clean the slate to avoid an NBA scandal.

And of course, did the good Rev. Jackson, actually hear of any of these questions, or have they just been blown out of context?

N1120A
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 15):

Which you don't have when you work for a major corporation.

Wrong. Why do you think trade unions exist?

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 15):

You've lived a very short life in corporate America.

I don't live in corporate America.

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 16):

How do you explain his defense of Mike Vick?

When did Jackson defend Michael Vick? I can't find anything related to that.

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:52 pm

really, Who?
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
It's called prejudice.

No, I'd be prejudiced if I assumed simply from the actions of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton that all black people are corrupt attention whores who have no way succeeding in life other than playing the race card. That is prejudice. Big difference.
E pur si muove -Galileo

D L X

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:11 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 19):
What you and others are doing is whipping out the race card where it doesn't belong.

Halls, how am I whipping out the race card?

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 22):

really, Who?

None of the hostages held by Slobadon Milosevic were black. In fact, most of the hostages JJ has negotiated the release of were not black.

halls120

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 24):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 19):
What you and others are doing is whipping out the race card where it doesn't belong.

Halls, how am I whipping out the race card?

Actually, Maverick got it right below. My apologies for making an incorrect assessment.

I shouldn't posting when I'm sick as a dog.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):
Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
It's called prejudice.

No, I'd be prejudiced if I assumed simply from the actions of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton that all black people are corrupt attention whores who have no way succeeding in life other than playing the race card. That is prejudice. Big difference.

checkmark 

MDorBust

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Wrong. Why do you think trade unions exist?

I'm sorry, did you just imply that Unions grant rights?

The notion is laughable.

Sorry, but you do not have a freedom of association guaranteed by your employer. They can and will fire you for associating with the wrong people. And most of the major corporations will look into your personal life to make sure you aren't do so.

Whether or not they have an agreement with a union not to do so is a completely different matter than them having the right to do so.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
I don't live in corporate America.

So you are unemployed then?

Well, I guess that just goes to show even more that you don't know what you are talking about.

N1120A
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 26):

I'm sorry, did you just imply that Unions grant rights?

No. Read again.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 26):

So you are unemployed then?

sarcastic 

D L X

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):

That is not what I mean by prejudice. See reply 11. The word "prejudice" does not have racial connotations. The people who are unwilling to admit that JJ does good have prejudged him bad, and will not be swayed by additional information.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 25):
I shouldn't posting when I'm sick as a dog.

Get better soon!

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 28):
The word "prejudice" does not have racial connotations

Prejudiced has nothing to do with race; here's the actual definition according to MW:

"2 a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics"

Quoting D L X (Reply 28):
The people who are unwilling to admit that JJ does good have prejudged him bad,

No, those people have judged him bad based on all the crappy things he's done Silly. It doesn't preclude him from doing nice things. Now if I said Hitler was a bad person just because he's white, or a man, or wears suits, or parts his hair on one side, or likes pancakes more than waffles, or is German, *that* is prejudice. If I say Hitler is a bad person because he decided to kill millions of people, and he's *still* a bad person in spite of the fact that he opens the door for ladies, that's just common sense Smile.
E pur si muove -Galileo

D L X

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:58 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 29):
Prejudiced has nothing to do with race

That's what I said...

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 29):
If I say Hitler is a bad person because he decided to kill millions of people, and he's *still* a bad person in spite of the fact that he opens the door for ladies, that's just common sense .

Okay, I have to admit. That was funny.  Smile

Bottom line is this: I'm not going to defend JJ's shakedowns. They make me cringe, and they do his causes more harm than good. But what bothers me are the people that don't want to accept that he has done good that should not be ignored. It also bothers me that people who speak before they think cannot say the words Jesse Jackson without saying Al Sharpton. They are not one in the same. (I agree with the people who say Sharpton ain't nothing but a race-baiter.)