sprout5199

Berkeley Votes To Kick Out Marines

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Check this out:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327466,00.html

I say remove all the fed money and see what they say.

Dan in Jupiter

clickhappy

RE: Berkeley Votes To Kick Out Marines

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Stupid.

The country that gives them the chance to make statements like this was built on the backs of U.S. Marines, and ll the other armed forces.

NWADC9

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:56 pm

REALLY stupid.

Quoting Sprout5199 (Thread starter):

I say remove all the fed money and see what they say.

[Edited 2008-02-01 12:06:48]
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

AirCop

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 1):
Stupid.

The country that gives them the chance to make statements like this was built on the backs of U.S. Marines, and ll the other armed forces.

Very true and forever grateful; however

U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., says the City of Berkeley, Calif., no longer deserves federal money.

Since when did Berkeley become a concern for a Senator from South Carolina?

sprout5199

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):

Well since the Marines are a federal service, and while he is from S. Carolina, he is an American first.

Dan in Jupiter

lobster

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:03 pm

As long as he's got the balls to say so, he' s OK in my book. Berkeley is one city I have no desire to ever go to. I like the bay area, but this city puts San Fran to shame. After all, Berkeley is the same city that banned the American Flag on their fire trucks shortly after 9/11 because of "security". Uh huh.

cfalk

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:08 pm

The next time Berkeley suffers from an earthquake, fire or other California calamity, they will of course ask for help from the National Guard and other nearby military forces.

When that call comes and the troops hear where the emergency is, justice would be where the soldiers sit right back down to their card game and laugh themselves silly.

But of course they won't do that. Because they are better people than those Berkely idiots, and will put willingly put themselves in harm's way to help them.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

FLYB6JETS

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Here is a direct link to a roster of Berkeley City Council members, including the mayor. It includes e-mail addresses.

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/citycouncil/general/councilroster.html

I e-mailed and told them each how appalled I was. I hope every single one of them who voted to kick them out gets voted out when they come up for re-election. Too bad they can't do a recall vote.
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

NIKV69

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:14 pm

Nothing in California surprises me anymore. This is laughable. Oh well at least codepink is happy.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Queso

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Dear AlQaida:

If you're looking for your next target in the US, may we suggest Berkeley. If they're not going to support us then we're not going to support them.

Signed,
USMC

yowza

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Well the US was built on slavery too... I don't think history should be the determining factor. That said I think it's ridiculous that at a time like this, that they are pulling a stunt like this. What's the point of this action anyway? What are these morons trying to achieve?

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
When that call comes and the troops hear where the emergency is, justice would be where the soldiers sit right back down to their card game and laugh themselves silly.

So you want to punish innocent people for the stupidity of their local government? That approach has not really been wildly successful overseas (Iraq) what makes you think it's the right approach domestically?

YOWza

sprout5199

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 10):
Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):

So you want to punish innocent people for the stupidity of their local government? That approach has not really been wildly successful overseas (Iraq) what makes you think it's the right approach domestically?

How come you didn't finish his quote?:

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):

But of course they won't do that. Because they are better people than those Berkely idiots, and will put willingly put themselves in harm's way to help them.

Just a question.

Dan in Jupiter

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Bunch of SoCal fruitloop Tree-Hugging Nut Jobs . . .

Screw Berkeley, cut off the Federal $$$ . . . all of it.

That whole Southern California sliding into the Pacific thing comes back to mind . . .

It's be NICE if you'd quote the entire context of the statement instead of picking and choosing just to make a veiled (and failed) attempt at flamebait.

I agree, next time the earth shakes or there's a riot, screw Berkeley . . . and the rest of the damn bunny huggers . . . let 'em defend themselves . . . cause they'll be the FIRST ones screaming for help.

Panty Waists.

[Edited 2008-02-01 12:39:40]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

clickhappy

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Berkeley isn't in So Cal and those of us from So Cal might find your idea offensive.

VonRichtofen

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:39 pm

When I first read the title of this thread, I assumed there was barracks in Berkeley or something and Marines were in the streets all the time causing a ruckus, but all this just because of a recruiting office??? What if somebody from Berkeley wants to join the Marines?

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 13):
Berkeley isn't in So Cal and those of us from So Cal might find your idea offensive.

Hell, it's close enough. Anything south of say . . . Marin County???

'Cept you and Superfly of course  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Tom in NO

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 13):

Damn straight  wink  .....Berkeley is and always has been a bunch of nuts and flakes.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

davestanKSAN

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 8):
Nothing in California surprises me anymore.

sarcastic  Like Berkeley speaks for California.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):

Come on Pep, I'm sure you have lots of Military contacts in SAN. This is a military town without question. Don't include us in with your "SoCal fruitloop Tree-Hugging Nut Jobs." (As been noted Berkeley is in Northern California. Don't offend us by including us with them  grumpy   Wink )

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

yowza

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 11):
Just a question.

It's be NICE if you'd quote the entire context of the statement instead of picking and choosing just to make a veiled (and failed) attempt at flamebait.

My point was that the federal gov is at least sensible enough to not do something so stupid so even entertaining the idea is totally out of the question. That's why only the first paragraph was relevant. If you read my entire post you would see that I'm squarely behind the US Federal Gov an military in this instance. No flaimbait of any kind.

YOWza

cfalk

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 17):
This is a military town without question.

How do you explain the USS Iowa incident?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../archive/2005/08/24/cstillwell.DTL

And their own attempted ban on military recruiters?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...f=/c/a/2005/11/09/BAG9RFKD1C82.DTL

davestanKSAN

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 19):

Dude I was talking about SAN not SFO  Wink.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

cfalk

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 20):
Dude I was talking about SAN not SFO

Oops, my mistake. Sorry.

Superfly

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:21 pm

You boys having fun?

That whole Southern California sliding into the Pacific thing comes back to mind . . .

If you were not a friend, I'd would have a fields day ridiculing your lack of geography skills. Berkeley is northern California. We up here in northern California pride ourselves in NOT being anything like southern California.
Southern California, especially Orange and San Diego county is very conservative and out of step with the rest of the state.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
'Cept you and Superfly of course

Thanks for sparing me in your wish.

Come on Pep, I'm sure you have lots of Military contacts in SAN. This is a military town without question.

DavestanKSAN is right. San Diego is a military town.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 14):
What if somebody from Berkeley wants to join the Marines?

Just walk a few blocks south to Oakland to a recruiting office.

How do you explain the USS Iowa incident?

That was here in San Francisco.

And their own attempted ban on military recruiters?

I don't understand why there was an office in Berkeley to begin with. I doubt they recruited hardly anyone given the social climate in Berkeley. To have an office there seems like government waste.
Finally, Senator Jim DeMint wouldn't like it of Barbara Boxer mettled in South Carolina issues so he should mind his own business as well. Senator Jim DeMint should more concerned about those who still can't read & write in his state and controlling the amount of his people with rickets.

Have A Nice Day

[Edited 2008-02-01 13:22:52]
Bring back the Concorde

AirCop

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
To have an office there seems like government waste.

Common sense apparently is not allowed in this discussion.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
they will of course ask for help from the National Guard

It's called the California National Guard, falls under the Governor..nice try..

I agree, next time the earth shakes or there's a riot, screw Berkeley

They always seem to call the California Highway Patrol first anyways.

In the grand scheme of things, Berkeley proper gets little in Federal dollars as compare to its total budget.

Whatever happen to people tolerating individuals that have different opinions? I'm sure a good portion of the Berkeley residents aren't in favor of this. Why isn't anyone bashing Brattleboro, Vermont?

Yellowstone

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Just walk a few blocks south to Oakland to a recruiting office.

Precisely. It's not like Berkeley is prohibiting its residents from joining the armed forces or anything. They just don't want the military to be able to spread propaganda (and it is propaganda, whether or not you agree with its message) to convince people to join. I figure as long as Berkeley keeps paying its federal taxes (and let's face it, it does a lot more for our country than that, with its top-notch university cranking out thousands of highly qualified future workers), it's fulfilling its obligations to the federal government.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

NWA742

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
The next time Berkeley suffers from an earthquake, fire or other California calamity, they will of course ask for help from the National Guard and other nearby military forces.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Couldn't be said better.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Hell, it's close enough. Anything south of say . . . Marin County???

Have you no regard for the Golden Gate Bridge?

It wouldn't look so nice or work that well being split in half like that... Smile

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

NIKV69

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 pm

Cause it reflects on the entire town not to mention it's the people that put local government in place. As for the war it has been successful, you just refuse to accept it.

That whole Southern California sliding into the Pacific thing comes back to mind . .

Hey how bout the whole state! I could deal with Laughlin being the Pacific coast! Nevada would so much nicer with a big body of water like that.

Like Berkeley speaks for California.

No but just another example in a long list of bonehead moves.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

yowza

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Cause it reflects on the entire town not to mention it's the people that put local government in place.

Well you're on your own there. Along with everybody else in this thread I've agreed that such action would be ridiculous and that the federal government and the military are above such an action. You clearly support it though, good for you.

As for the war it has been successful, you just refuse to accept it.

"Reality meet NIKV69. NIKV69 this is my friend Reality. You two need to talk."

YOWza

sprout5199

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 pm

The worst part is I remember when most of San Fran/Oakland was pro military. Guess they are still mad about closing Alameda NAS.

Is Treasure Island still a navy base? Was cool to vist when I was stationed at Mare Island NS.

Dan in Jupiter

Tom in NO

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 pm

Southern California, especially Orange and San Diego county is very conservative and out of step with the rest of the state.

Thank goodness LoCal and the OC have something right  wink  (didn't you NoCal'ers produce Feinstein, Boxer, and Pelosi  vomit  ?! )

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Falcon84

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):

That's your anger talking, Charles, nothing else. I think they're loons as well, but freedom is a bitch, isn't it? What the Marines should say, in taking the high road is "We don't agree with what htey're doing, but they're free to do as they please, and we're proud to provide the freedom that allows them to do it."

Quoting Queso (Reply 9):
If you're looking for your next target in the US, may we suggest Berkeley. If they're not going to support us then we're not going to support them.

And, in my mind, even saying such a thing is as traterous as you think the people in Berkeley are, Queso. The old "stoop to the level of the enemy" mentality. Sorry, but any American who would even say that in jest, Queso, isn't as great an American as he'd like to claim he is.

Let the loons live and let live. In the end, they're the ones that look like idiots, no one else.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Superfly

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 28):
Is Treasure Island still a navy base?

Nope.
Those housing units over there are used for low-income housing now.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 29):
(didn't you NoCal'ers produce Feinstein, Boxer, and Pelosi

Yep and very proud of it!  yes 

Did you LoCal'ers produce Randy Cunningham, Bob Dornan and Richard Nixon? Embarrassment

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 30):
And, in my mind, even saying such a thing is as traterous as you think the people in Berkeley are, Queso. The old "stoop to the level of the enemy" mentality. Sorry, but any American who would even say that in jest, Queso, isn't as great an American as he'd like to claim he is.

checkmark 

Well said!
Bring back the Concorde

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Exactly. Thats just low. Joking about terrorist attacks. Haha. Funny, Queso.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Dougloid

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:00 pm

Well the US was built on slavery too...

And during the war between the states to decide that very question, a helluva lot of folks in Canada sat on the sidelines and made a great deal of money off of human suffering, entertaining and supporting Confederates instead of taking a principled stand. That's what women of easy virtue do.

So stick your attitude where the sun don't shine.
You don't have a dog in this fight.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Tom in NO

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
Did you LoCal'ers produce Randy Cunningham, Bob Dornan and Richard Nixon?

.....and George Deukmejian and Ronald Reagan.

Tom at MSY

Superfly

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 34):
.and George Deukmejian and Ronald Reagan.

The list gets worse an worse for LoCal.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

sprout5199

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
Those housing units over there are used for low-income housing now.

Low income housing? The views from there were great.

Dan in Jupiter

SBBRTech

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:19 pm

So all a county/city needs to do is to vote and tell the military to screw themselves ????  Wow!

Can you hear Bin Laden yelling "Have a taste of your own civil liberties, evil yanks!"  Silly

But seriously, in today's USA that's a lot of balls (and hatred bait)...would you say that's political suicide for those in the city council, or 'cos it's California they won't really care ?
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Superfly

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 36):
Low income housing? The views from there were great.

Low income housing with great great views.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

yowza

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 33):
And during the war between the states to decide that very question, a helluva lot of folks in Canada sat on the sidelines and made a great deal of money off of human suffering, entertaining and supporting Confederates instead of taking a principled stand. That's what women of easy virtue do.

So stick your attitude where the sun don't shine.
You don't have a dog in this fight.

The purpose of my bringing up slavery was to make a point that history was not relevant in this case. I was in no way taking a pot shot, so why don't you relax champ.

YOWza

N1120A

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:13 am

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 4):
and while he is from S. Carolina, he is an American first.

Oh really? You mean the same South Carolina that was the capital of the Confederacy?

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 8):
Nothing in California surprises me anymore. This is laughable.

We are waiting on the check refunding our money you are spending.

Signed,
California Tax Payers

NorCal pal.  Wink

No but just another example in a long list of bonehead moves.

Again, stop spending our money then.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 29):
Feinstein

No liberal

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 34):

.....and George Deukmejian and Ronald Reagan.

Illinois, unfortunately, produced Ronnie Raygun. As far as Deukmejian, that moron was from New York.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirCop

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:31 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
As far as Deukmejian, that moron was from New York.

Now he was a do-nothing governor. Funny about RR, who got his political start as President of a union..
If Northern California is such a bad place, as some of you suggest, why do people keep moving there?

N1120A

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:33 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 41):
If Northern California is such a bad place, as some of you suggest, why do people keep moving there?

Further, if us Californians know nothing about economics, how come we are supporting the rest of the country?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:45 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 41):

...and paying top-dollar for property here?
I don't see any foreclosures here like in the rest of the country.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Further, if us Californians know nothing about economics, how come we are supporting the rest of the country?

They're still waiting for some miracle promised at their super-sized mega Churches.
Bring back the Concorde

steeler83

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 am

If you were not a friend, I'd would have a fields day ridiculing your lack of geography skills. Berkeley is northern California. We up here in northern California pride ourselves in NOT being anything like southern California.

There are pockets of such lunacy all over the country! Yes, Southern California is pretty much known for that. Look at all the folks in Hollywood (movie stars, not necessarily any of the other average Joe citizens out there like most of us on here), they have almost no concept of what it means to be an American citizen anymore, look at Martin Sheen...

There are other really scary people as well: Senators Kennedy and Clinton, Michael Moore... Come to think of it, I wonder if Michael Moore had anything to do with that. He seems like the kind of piece of crap that would do something like that. Rosey O'Donnel is another scary one -- I believe she called our soldiers terrorists on national TV!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

jetblueguy22

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:04 am

Wow I say cut all money going to them and see what they think about that. Or send them to Iraq I'm sure they'd love that.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Lufthansa411

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:27 am

This has turned into a military vs. non military debate. What really should be discussed is why Berkeley did it. Did the military try and aggressively recruit at schools or on the street? During the time when I was in High School in NY right across the river from West Point the army was kicked out of the school because they would heckle students into joining. They would get students contact information and call them until they agreed to join. Finally, an agreement was reached where each branch of the military was allowed to come once every 60 school days, and were only allowed to start a conversation if a student initiated it. They were not allowed to call more than twice unless requested.
We don't know all the factors that surrounded the decision.

Sending anyone to Iraq to show them what it is like is not going to solve anything. In fact, it would probably strengthen their cause as I would imagine most of Berkeley is anti-war and anti-violence. Telling people you are fighting for their freedoms and then cursing at them for expressing those freedoms is a bit paradoxical. I agree that these are difficult times, but lambasting every liberal politician is a bit naive. If you want to make people appreciate the tole of the war, write to the White House and request that they release footage of body bags being unloaded of planes, of wounded soldiers after they return from duty, of families that are destroyed by war-both American, Iraqi and Afgani. You want people to respect the war, don't put people in the war zone, that won't help. Show them the reality of what the cost of war is. Don't hide it for fear of ruining your political standing-or not getting re-elected. That is what is happening now.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

Queso

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:32 am

Knowing you feel that way puts a warmness in my heart and lets me know I'm right on target with my thinking. God Bless the USA, with the exception of those idiots in Berkeley who hate The Corps.

halls120

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am

Stupid.

Very true and forever grateful; however

U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., says the City of Berkeley, Calif., no longer deserves federal money.

Any American can express his or her opinion about what happens in America.

Last time I checked, anyway.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Superfly

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:45 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 48):
Any American can express his or her opinion about what happens in America.

Last time I checked, anyway.

True, but the irony is that this is coming from a South Carolina conservative. A state in a region that is notorious for being hostile to those that criticize their dumb confederate flag and segregation laws in the past.
Bring back the Concorde