Pope
Topic Author

Snipes Acquitted

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

NWA742

RE: Snipes Acquitted

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Pope (Thread starter):
Are you kidding me?

Special treatment for celebrities knows no bounds today - not surprised here.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

MDorBust

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Aquitted of consipracy charges.

Guilty of failing to file tax returns.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

AirCop

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 1):

Apparently the co-defendants weren't quite as lucky..Still think Wesley will still be doing some jail time.

BCAInfoSys

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:45 pm

What he will definitely get is some hefty P&I (Penalty and Interest). It won't be pretty, let me tell you...
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

MaidensGator

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:34 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):
Still think Wesley will still be doing some jail time.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 4):
What he will definitely get is some hefty P&I (Penalty and Interest). It won't be pretty, let me tell you...

I think you're both right. Judge Hodges is hardcore. He's a smart judge and obviously wasn't impressed with Wesley's celebrity. He did reduce Snipes' bail from a million to 250K after the verdict. Yesterday the outfit carrying his bond asked that they be let off because they were afraid he'd flee the country if convicted.

The interest and penalties will probably be in the millions, plus he'll have to pay all the back taxes. The most jail time he can get is three years, but he'll probably get half that. I think the one who has to worry is Kahn. He boycotted the trial after telling the judge that the government has no jurisdiction to charge him and that the judge doesn't have the authority to preside over the trial. The judge let him sit in jail rather than coming to court every day....
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

N1120A

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 pm

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 5):
I think the one who has to worry is Kahn.

Someone needs to check out that dude's head.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ltbewr

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:40 pm

Of course, he can can appeal the charges he was convicted of. He should have everything he has seized, including any offshore bank accounts, any money due paid then get what's left. I would also suggest that any payments he is to get in the future for any acting have the income taxes due paid to the government and he can ask for any overpayment back. What a fool - no one can beat the IRS.

Pope
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 am

What I want to know now is whether Mr. Snipes and his attorney will publicly apologize to the citizens of North Central Florida for calling them all racist and saying that a fair trial wasn't possible in Ocala.

fr8mech

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 am

"The IRS bears a unique burden of proof in criminal tax cases. It must show not only that someone broke the law, but he or she did so with willful, bad purpose to defraud the government."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080202/...;_ylt=AjCtstLBrORmlXVuGs_1PZ.s0NUE

I guess they weren't able to make that happen in court. He'll still get hit by back taxes & penalties.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Confuscius

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:11 am

Will he get a tax rebate check?
Ain't I a stinker?

sunking737

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 am

See IF you have money a good lawyer Can get you off. A page from OJ, book "I got away with murder you can too."
Just an MSPAVGEEK

aa61hvy

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:22 am

Maybe his assistance on defeating those terrorists on that L1011 from MIA-LAX (or was it LAX-MIA) had something to do with the decision not to convict?

Wink
Go big or go home

MaidensGator

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:33 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):
What I want to know now is whether Mr. Snipes and his attorney will publicly apologize to the citizens of North Central Florida for calling them all racist and saying that a fair trial wasn't possible in Ocala.

Through his lawyer Snipes said he "wanted to thank the people of Ocala for their courtesy, their hospitality and their fairness."
http://www.ocala.com/article/2008020..._NEWS/219361786/1053/BREAKING_NEWS

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 9):
The IRS bears a unique burden of proof in criminal tax cases.

It's not really unique; scienter is an element of most crimes...

Quoting Sunking737 (Reply 11):
See IF you have money a good lawyer Can get you off.

I think this verdict is more about the quality (or lack thereof) of the government's case. Obviously, they didn't meet their burden. I wouldn't give Snipes' lawyers too much credit for their defense considering they didn't present one... But they must have put on a good closing argument. They didn't have to prove him innocent, just raise enough doubt as to his guilt...
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Confuscius

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 12):
Maybe his assistance on defeating those terrorists on that L1011 from MIA-LAX (or was it LAX-MIA) had something to do with the decision not to convict?

Always bet on black!  Wink
Ain't I a stinker?

garnetpalmetto

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:16 am

Special treatment for celebrities knows no bounds today

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

-Signed,
Martha Stewart & Michael Vick

Based on the question the jury asked the judge regarding the definition of conspiracy my bet is the jury didn't believe Snipes, the beneficiary of the conspiracy, was part of the conspiracy. The amazing thing here is that Snipes' defense attorney never presented a case in chief.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

lobster

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:47 am

So true. You or I would be on our way the the big house by now.

This jack ass better see some jail time for his other conviction though. If not, than celebrity status is total f*cked in this country.

tsaord

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 am

I almost had a car accident when I heard this on the radio. I couldn't believe he got off. I know he is HAPPY!!! WOW
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

threeifbyair

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:08 am

So, is he planning to file a 2007 return? I should hope he wouldn't be so stupid as to continue tax denying now, but you never know...

Do actors have taxes withheld from their paychecks like the rest of us? Even if I wanted to not pay my taxes, Uncle Sam takes a cut anyways. Seems only fair that Wesley and friends should be treated likewise.

N1120A

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:35 am

Quoting ThreeIfByAir (Reply 18):

Do actors have taxes withheld from their paychecks like the rest of us? Even if I wanted to not pay my taxes, Uncle Sam takes a cut anyways. Seems only fair that Wesley and friends should be treated likewise.

I think they are probably considered independent contractors and have to pay their own. If not, they are likely paid through SAG and then, yes, they would have their deductions taken.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MCOflyer

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:23 am

Well I hope he does get punished in some form. Being a celeberity means nothing in my book. Everyone is equal to me.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

fr8mech

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 13):
It's not really unique; scienter is an element of most crimes...

I disagree. I can see where it may apply to, counterfeiting, or more properly; unknowingly passing a counterfeit bill, but tax evasion?

Let's say someone convinces me that I can rob from my neighbor because he is an illegal immigrant and is not subject to the protection of our laws. Can I successfully claim, after I'm arrested and charged, that I did not knowingly break the law; that I was convinced by an outside influence that what I was doing was OK? Nope.

I agree that scienter may not be unique to tax evasion, but it is not an element of most crimes.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

EvilForce

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
What a fool - no one can beat the IRS.

Only the USA and Libya have similarly draconian income tax enforcement laws.

If you are a highly compensated individual that decides to leave the US, the IRS will still tax you, and claim you are only leaving the US to avoid paying taxes. Idiots.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

BR715-A1-30

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 12):

Sorry, he only defeated them as far as "Lake Lucille, LA" So he doesn't get the full fee.. HE only gets as much as he worked for.. lol
Puhdiddle

Pope
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 21):
I disagree. I can see where it may apply to, counterfeiting, or more properly; unknowingly passing a counterfeit bill, but tax evasion?

I believe the charge wasn't tax evasion but tax fraud. The fraud charge require a knowing intent. In fact part of his argument was that there was no evasion because he fully disclosed his position in a 300+ page letter to the IRS.