LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

US-Marine Tests "revolutionary" Gun

Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Sorry just in German :

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,532660,00.html

It's a gun without gunpowder but with electromagnetic power .

It's seven times faster than the sound .

Check the Video on the site !

Constantin

[Edited 2008-02-02 04:39:14]
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

MD11Engineer

RE: US-Marine Tests "revolutionary" Gun

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, it is just a rail gun. The idea exists since decades. I personally don't think that they will replace conventional guns, especially in smaller calibers.
The energy needs to be stored somewhere and the only known way to store such an amount of electrical energy to be suddenly released are capacitors. Capacitors of this scale on the other hand are big and bulky.
Conventional propellants have a much higher energy density and are easier to be handled.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Queso

RE: US-Marine Tests "revolutionary" Gun

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 1):
Well, it is just a rail gun. The idea exists since decades. I personally don't think that they will replace conventional guns, especially in smaller calibers.
The energy needs to be stored somewhere and the only known way to store such an amount of electrical energy to be suddenly released are capacitors. Capacitors of this scale on the other hand are big and bulky.
Conventional propellants have a much higher energy density and are easier to be handled.

I agree comlpetely. This technology has been around for quite a while now, although they are finding new ways to use and deploy it.