MaverickM11
Topic Author

Why Do People Chew With Their Mouth Open?

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:50 pm

I want to strangle them when they do that. Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, don't chew with your mouth open. Thank you.
E pur si muove -Galileo

FOMEA

RE: Why Do People Chew With Their Mouth Open?

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):
I want to strangle them when they do that. Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, don't chew with your mouth open. Thank you.

I hear you ..
Try my co worker..chewing banana with him mouth open at 7am.
I wanted to through him out that window behind him.

banghead 
On the internet you can be anything you want..its strange so many choose to be Stupid.

yooyoo

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:00 pm

My boss chews his food like a cow and it drives me nuts. He has no cold or breathing problems that i know of but i did notice one thing, his dad eats the same way!!
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

LO231

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:03 pm

It's disgusting and shows lack of manners. I'm really not interested in what the food looks like after being mashed 15 times.

Regards,
LO231

[Edited 2008-02-06 08:04:19]
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 1):

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 2):
My boss chews his food like a cow and it drives me nuts.

Maybe we should bite the bullet and just tell these people. The awkwardness will wear off and they'll thank us later when the rest of the world doesn't look at them with disgust Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

access-air

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:20 pm

In my family, my sister and my dad were horrible at this and it used to make me sick to my stomach.....I havent noticed sis doing lately but I dont know about my dad....Hes dead....

Its just very sickening to have to sit thru someone chewing their food and to hear that smacking sound...
Uh-oh, I think that Im getting dry heaves just thinking about it.....

Whats even worse if people that speak whilst eating and food flying out in tiny peices.....Oh yeah....for sure now I am gonna puke....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

LASoctoberB6

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:22 pm

It drives me insane. Nobody wants to see the food in your mouth. The sound is more annoying....  bomb   boggled 
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Yellowstone

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:09 pm

As far as I can tell, the only semi-acceptable reason to do so is if your nose is incredibly stuffy and you can't breathe through it while you chew.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

IFEMaster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:17 pm

My step-dad's jaw would click when he ate, and he chewed with his mouth open. After a few meals, I decided to not eat in the same room as him.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

NeilYYZ

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 8):
As far as I can tell, the only semi-acceptable reason to do so is if your nose is incredibly stuffy and you can't breathe through it while you chew.

Even then you can do it subtly. I just tell people if it pisses me off, I'm not going to sit there and get annoyed in silence.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 10):
I just tell people if it pisses me off, I'm not going to sit there and get annoyed in silence.

Maybe I should do that....between the open mouth chewing and the screaming in my head there's a good chance I might (in)advertantly hurt someone.
E pur si muove -Galileo

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:25 pm

I worked as a nurse in a nursing home for 5 years. One thing that always annoyed me was the way poor-fitting dentures would click and rattle. The whole dining room sounded like poker players playing with their chips.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:11 pm

-
Fully agree !!!  yes   yes   yes   yes   yes 
-
-

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 1):
Try my co worker..chewing banana with him mouth open at 7am.

-
Only throw him out after having checked that there are no passers-by below !  Big grin
-

ABQ747

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:20 pm

don't chew with your mouth open

checkmark  That is my biggest pet peeve. I HATE it when people talk with food in their mouth, or smack and chomp their food or gum. That noise drives me up the wall.  banghead   bomb   gnasher 
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

Phoenix9

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 14):
I HATE it when people talk with food in their mouth, or smack and chomp their food or gum. That noise drives me up the wall.

Add to that someone eating potato chips (or anything crunchy for that matter) next to you on a stressfull day...especially if in a crowded place or a bus. That just makes me want to beat them to a bloody pulp  fight 
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

skidmarks

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:35 pm

And I thought it was just me being old-fashioned and miserable!!

I hate listening to people eat and talk at the same time. There is nothing so urgent to say that you have to say it with a mouthful of food.

My co-worker eats like a caveman and can even make eating salad a nightmare for anyone in hearing range!  Sad

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

DLPMMM

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:45 pm

I personally don't like to be around open mouthed chewing, slurping, lip smacking..., but I have found in my travels that in some countries (especially in Asia) it is considered the norm.

nighthawk

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 pm

amen! And I thought I was the only person that got really irritated by this!

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 5):
Its just very sickening to have to sit thru someone chewing their food and to hear that smacking sound...
Uh-oh, I think that Im getting dry heaves just thinking about it.....

indeed - i get extremely stressed out whenever i hear someone eating like that. My dad smacks his teeth very loudly when he eats - i end up getting so frustrated by it i end up leaving the table without finishing my meal - i just cant stand it any more!

I know of a certain a.net member who tends to chew chewing gum with his mouth open - he gets evil stares from me as soon as he starts doing it...

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 16):
And I thought it was just me being old-fashioned and miserable!!

... but you are old and miserable!

skidmarks

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 18):
... but you are old and miserable!

There is ALWAYS one!!  banghead 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

NWADC9

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Even if my sinuses are all clogged up, I REFUSE to chew with my mouth open! It's disgusting, unhygienic, and downright rude. It sucks to not breathe while having a cold and eating, but I live with it.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Here's another one... People who snap their gum.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 14):
I HATE it when people talk with food in their mouth, or smack and chomp their food or gum

What ultimately brought this on this morning was the jackass behind me at the coffee shop that was chewing his gum so loudly I wanted to take a swing at him....
E pur si muove -Galileo

AirTranTUS

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:19 pm

I love ASO!

Jpax

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Whudda woo ean ont ew if my routh wopen?

AlexPorter

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 pm

For the most part, and almost always for those people who consistently do it, it is disgusting. However, from personal experience I have had to do it occasionally:

- Sometimes the food is at such a temperature to be just about hot enough to burn the inside of the mouth. Having the mouth open can help cool off food enough to swallow it before it burns. Of course, after this happens once, the best thing to do is just wait a bit longer until it cools down more. Definitely don't keep eating the hot food in that manner.
- Similarly, putting too much food in at once can cause this, but the wise thing to do is obviously eat smaller bites.
- For some reason my dad and I both have big problems of biting our lips and cheeks when we eat chewy foods. I don't know why this is. Sometimes, if the food is real chewy, it gets so bad that it is hard to consciously avoid biting, because it seems like every attempt to chew the food brings the cheeks or lips into the path of teeth. It drives me nuts. But whenever that happens usually trying to eat with the mouth open avoids it.

However, in both of these situations, the incident is isolated, and most of the meal is eaten with the mouth closed. Also, most importantly, if I have to do it I will cover my mouth with a napkin and/or hand so nobody has to see it! And it is never on purpose.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

cfalk

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Why Do People Chew With Their Mouth Open?

It's an act of generosity. He wants to share his meal with you.  Wink
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

vaporlock

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:21 pm

OMG.....MaverickM11, you are too funny!

I HATE it when people chew with their mouth wide open.....or talk with a mouthful of food. Dam, it is such poor manners.

I work with a lot of females that chew their food off of a spoon taking little bites off a chunk of blubber and bones, then push what they don't want back onto the spoon so they can eat it once they have swallowed the first hunk. They don't even take the spoon away from their mouths.....some cultures just do that. It's almost as if it is their last supper!!! haha They look like camels having their last meal. It sure makes me sick!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

Halcyon

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 pm

My roommate is so loud that he's woken me up at 5AM smacking on a hamburger. As soon as he mentions eating, I put on my headphones.

It's so bad that I have a hard time talking to other people while he eats. How the hell do you get so many decibels just eating a fricking burger?

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 27):
They look like camels having their last meal. It sure makes me sick!

My roommate also claims that I eat "slow." He doesn't seem to realize that he finishes his dinner fifteen minutes before everyone else because he's practically vacuuming it in. And just as loud too.

LASoctoberB6

Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting Jpax (Reply 24):
Whudda woo ean ont ew if my routh wopen?

My mom does that every so often and my brother and I have learned to just ignore her until her mouth is empty.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 21):
Here's another one... People who snap their gum.

Known in my local "black" community as "poppin' gum"...

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 28):
My roommate also claims that I eat "slow." He doesn't seem to realize that he finishes his dinner fifteen minutes before everyone else because he's practically vacuuming it in. And just as loud too.

After reading your prior post about you roommate in another thread, you really, really need a new roommate...  Smile

AsstChiefMark

Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:39 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 29):
Known in my local "black" community as "poppin' gum"...

What's the purpose of doing so?

Halcyon

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 29):
you really, really need a new roommate...

Ha! That made my day, thanks. And yes, I do. And I was supposed to get one this semester, but then housing screwed up some of the applications and...it went downhill from there. Anyway, I might buy him a barn to live in.  Wink

LASoctoberB6

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:32 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 30):

The purpose of what?

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 31):
That made my day, thanks.

I tend to do that.. Big grin

bwest

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:40 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 30):

Annoying the hell out of everybody else and thinking that is cool?

I dunno, sometimes I really think they do it on purpose... I mean people can't be that stupid to think it's not offensive to other people... no wait...
I love my Airport Job! :)