Jawed
Topic Author

0.003g Of Canabis @ DXB = 4 Years In Jail

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:35 am

This could happen to anyone... unbelievable.

Briton jailed for four years in Dubai after customs find cannabis weighing less than a grain of sugar under his shoe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...id=512815&in_page_id=1770&ito=1490

AlexPorter

RE: 0.003g Of Canabis @ DXB = 4 Years In Jail

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:50 am

Dubai can build all the skyscrapers and huge resorts it wants, but it is still highly authoritarian. I'll make sure to avoid it.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

lobster

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:57 am

Wow. Seems like such a friendly place doesn't it?  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

azhobo

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:05 am

Agree with you on this. Dubai is not worth the risk as a tourist spot, and apparently not even as a HUB transit spot. When more instances like this make the air waves, I am sure there will be an impact on their growth plans as an air hub.

How about the guy jailed for 3 poppy seeds on his clothes from a roll he ate in the UK.

Scary...maybe they will be able to use those a380s as oil tankers.

HOBO

hummingbird

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:09 am

In most cases you receive a reduced sentence for a road fatality.........
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

LOT767-300ER

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:58 am

One wonders why people constantly moan and groan about US customs and Agriculture and then turn around and praise Dubai and proclaim it to be a nirvana.

The only thing Dubai will ever have alot of is sand.

OA260

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:07 am

Well as above you can have all the money and Sky Scrapers in the world but you are still dealing with a medieval culture . People see the glossy brochures and forget they are going to the ''Middle East'' surrounded by Iran/Saudi Arabia .....etc..
As long as the oil keeps flowing and the European/USA government are making money then their respective governments will turn a blind eye and pawn their own citizens !!! If it were Sudan they would be bombing them and laying down sanctions to get their citizens freed . Its all about OIL OIL OIL !!!!

Jetsgo

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:08 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 5):

checkmark 

No matter how nice the sand castle looks, it's still made from sand and sits in a sandbox.

The whole situation is total bullshit. What are the chances he will actually be held for four years? Will the British government attempt to get him home? Surly Dubai would not want to risk the negative public outcry?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Francoflier

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am

Not wanting to play devil's advocate here, but why is everybody running to the gun rack based on an article by the Daily Mail...

I'm no avid reader of that thing, but from what I've gathered from other threads which also picked up on Daily Mail's stories, many locals seem to believe that this paper is not much more worthy than what we wipe our a$$es with...

Something that outrageaous, if it were true, would surely have been picked up by slightly more trusty media sources, wouldn't it?
I have done a quick search and didn't find anything, other that older articles underlining the fact that, indeed, UAE laws are way too strict when it comes to drug laws.

Now if someone finds an article from a more serious source, I'll enlist in that crusade.  Wink
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

OA260

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:31 am

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 8):
Daily Mail's stories, many locals seem to believe that this paper is not much more worthy than what we wipe our a$$es with...

Totally disagree. The Daily Mail is a good paper. They like others get things wrong sometimes but they are a hugely read paper. If you want the gutter press then look at the morons that read ''The Sun'' ''The Daily Star'' ''Daliy Mirror'' etc..... Those papers would not even be good for wiping your backside with.

Banco

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Totally disagree. The Daily Mail is a good paper.

You must be joking. The Mail is despicable rag, bigoted and bordering on racist in its approach. The Sun is a piece of entertainment and makes little pretence to be more; the Star even more so; the Mirror is a tabloid but a political paper with a record of strongly backing moderate left wing politics. The Mail hasn't changed a bit from the paper that supported Hitler in the 1930s. It's a disgusting means of spreading xenophobia.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

OA260

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:45 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 10):
The Sun is a piece of entertainment and makes little pretence to be more; the Star even more so; the Mirror is a tabloid but a political paper with a record of strongly backing moderate left wing politics. The Mail hasn't changed a bit from the paper that supported Hitler in the 1930s. It's a disgusting means of spreading xenophobia.

You need to read ''The Sun'' again then !!! If you think the Mail is racist then you must be missing something !!! Dont think my Father who is an immigrant would be reading the Mail if it was racist  Wink I dont find it racist either but I do find that the Sun and Star stirs up British nationalism more than the Mail thats for sure !!! The council flat , tattoo brigade love the Sun and Star. Saying that the Sun and Star is a piece of entertainment is wrong!! It has the power to change attitudes and plant various ideas into un educated heads. Its dangerous to think that it has no effect on the readers.

Banco

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Its dangerous to think that it has no effect on the readers.

A slight leap in logic based on what I wrote, there.

You need to read ''The Sun'' again then !!!

No, thank you.

If you think the Mail is racist then you must be missing something !!!

Do you not notice the endless "everything is the fault of asylum seekers" attitude of the paper? The endless "Muslims are out to get us" approach? Remarkable. I find it deeply worrying that there are some people who can read the revolting rag without noticing the bigotry of it.

but I do find that the Sun and Star stirs up British nationalism more than the Mail thats for sure

The Star is more obsessed by Big Brother than anything else. The Sun is just a tacky tabloid, pandering to the worst prejudices of its readers. The Mail is a more insidious version of the same. It's a hateful, evil, vile thing. And not because it's right-wing either; there's nothing at all wrong with that, as the Times and Telegraph demonstrate.

Anyway, as for the story here, there's probably some truth to it, but the Mail is not a reliable paper to tell it. I'll wait for one of the others to pick it up first.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cornish

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 am

You need to read ''The Sun'' again then !!! If you think the Mail is racist then you must be missing something !!! Dont think my Father who is an immigrant would be reading the Mail if it was racist I dont find it racist either but I do find that the Sun and Star stirs up British nationalism more than the Mail thats for sure !!!

You really think that ?? Trust me, with your Irish flag, the Mail would immediately assume you are a terrorist. With your immigrant roots they'd also think you were a gypsy.....

Really a hateful nasty paper. The Sun is one thing, but usuallly over the top and not taken too seriously. The thing about the Mail is that some people do take their bigoted views seriously.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

lobster

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 12):
The Sun is just a tacky tabloid

Any newspaper thats got the Page 3 girl is all right with me!! Big grin

scbriml

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
The Daily Mail is a good paper.

Sorry, IMHO, it's a rag. Are the McCanns still on the front page?

To paraphrase the old newspaper joke, "The Mail is read by the wives of the people who think they run the country."

Quoting Lobster (Reply 14):
Any newspaper thats got the Page 3 girl is all right with me!!

The Sun is read by people who don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

EvilForce

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Neither the Sun nor the Daily Mail have any street cred... at least with anyone that knows anything here in the US.

They are just tabloids that chavs read. We call them rednecks or trailer trash. Tomato/tomatoe.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

SBBRTech

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:08 pm

LoL, so much for the "new" Dubai trend. All that high technology for the sake of a bunch of backward draconian fools.
Their ways won't change as fast as some people wish.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

EI787

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Perhaps the Daily Mail in the UK is different to the Irish Daily Mail but from reading the Irish version, all I see is a very reasonably priced newspaper with lots of stories, most of which are simply fact. It's only 70c here - the Irish Independent for example was €1.90 the last time I checked. There's a lot of opinion on the paper, but this is highlighted and kept under the reporters page. I would trust this paper over some of the more trashy tabloids, as mentioned above - The Sun, Star etc. I wouldn't necessarily see the Irish Daily Mail as a tabloid when considering its content.

Perhaps it's different in the UK however!

With regards to the thread starters point, I do feel sorry for the man. However, you've got to respect that country's laws - no one country is the same as the next. And I must admit that I admire Dubai's hardline approach to drugs. If that kind of style was adapted in other countries, such as Ireland, we wouldn't be facing this drug epidemic with people dropping dead every week from drug overdoses.

Just my  twocents .

EvilForce

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 18):
And I must admit that I admire Dubai's hardline approach to drugs. If that kind of style was adapted in other countries, such as Ireland, we wouldn't be facing this drug epidemic with people dropping dead every week from drug overdoses.

LOL. Or you can just do what the USA does. Lock up 2 million people behind bars. The drug war has been such a success too.  boggled   crazy 
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

CaptOveur

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:33 pm

I wanna know 2 things.

1. How did they find that small of an amount of weed?

2. How did they field test that small of an amount of weed?

Then again, someplace that will mess with that small of an amount of drugs probably doesn't concern itself with things like actual proof.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

CupraIbiza

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:34 pm

I dont know anything about the Daily Mail but to me there is enough doubt of the voracity of this story. When a respected news article picks it up then lets talk. I am with you Francoflier

oh and for the billionth time Dubai has never had much oil and has hardly any now. Now Abu Dhabi/Qatar etc. Whole different story.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

EI787

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:31 pm

Ok here's the BBC article on this issue so now we can safely say this did occur:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234786.stm

Quote:
British tourist Keith Brown was sentenced to four years in prison after Dubai customs officers found a 0.003g trace of cannabis stuck to his shoe.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
People see the glossy brochures and forget they are going to the ''Middle East'' surrounded by Iran/Saudi Arabia .....etc..

Singapore is known for having condemned foreign nationals to death for having brought moderate quantities of drugs in their territory, and it has been widely publicized over the more 'mainline' media, and yet, Singapore is not in the middle east, and is not overly muslim or islamist.

Now because this is the UAE, everybody jumps to the conclusion that this is due to the country being run by hard lined islamists enforcing the sharia.

The endless "Muslims are out to get us" approach?

yes 

I think there's more to this story than what this tells, if at all true...

And on a lighter note, have you seen the picture on the article?
They probably sent him to jail for looking like such an idiot... As they should.  Silly
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

OA260

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Do you not notice the endless "everything is the fault of asylum seekers" attitude of the paper?

I hear that from all sections of British society. Failure of a proper and fair immigration system is the cause !!

Quoting Cornish (Reply 13):
You really think that ?? Trust me, with your Irish flag, the Mail would immediately assume you are a terrorist. With your immigrant roots they'd also think you were a gypsy.....

Irish flag because I have lived here 10 years / English born and educated . British passport and proud of my NON British heritage !!! Still love the Daily Mail and it does not offend me at all. People use the race card way to much for their own advantages and gains.If anyone can I could use the race card I can but I prefer to integrate into a country that gave us the opportunity to have a good life. My Dad worked 2 jobs when he arrived and even when we were entitled to benefits he was too proud to claim !!! I agree with the Mail when they say its way too easy to get into the UK now and claim claim claim !!!!

I rest my case LOL....

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 15):
Are the McCanns still on the front page?

Well thats another issue !!! I want to know when they will press charges against the parents for neglect and leaving a minor in a house on her own!!! Its all pretty quiet on that front !!! Shame on the UK authorities for not acting.

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 23):
being run by hard lined islamists enforcing the sharia.

Sorry YOU mentioned Islam and Muslims not me !!! There are plenty of Christians in the ''Middle East who are equally as bad and have the same views . Its not a religious issue its a cultural and political one .

yowza

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 1):
Dubai can build all the skyscrapers and huge resorts it wants, but it is still highly authoritarian. I'll make sure to avoid it.

Good choice. If you can't play by their rules don't play over there.

Quoting Lobster (Reply 2):
Wow. Seems like such a friendly place doesn't it? Yeah sure Yeah sure

Actually it is. Would you rather ridiculous tolerance that would give birth to a Meth problem as in the US?

Don't forget money, attention, power and A380s.

YOWza

Continental

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:29 pm

If that's true, how awful. I always thought of Dubai as a cool place that I'd want to visit. Now I'm no drug user and I never will be, but I certainly will never visit Dubai.

trvyyz

Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Wow thats scary, getting 4 years for eating a roll of bread.

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Wow. Seems like such a friendly place doesn't it?

One wonders why people constantly moan and groan about US customs and Agriculture and then turn around and praise Dubai and proclaim it to be a nirvana.

It makes you wonder if people really are that ignorant or they simply choose to sound uneducated and dim? If you think Dubai only has sand and skyscrapers then you obviously have never been there (bet on that) or don't know much about it. It has money, bucket loads of it, it has trade, tourism, business, sporting events, a large aviation hub, last but not least, millions of tourists from all over the world. It's not perfect, but neither is London, Rio, NYC, Moscow or Sydney. If you don't want to go to Dubai out of your sheer ignorance then that's your choice.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 24):
Irish flag because I have lived here 10 years / English born and educated . British passport and proud of my NON British heritage !!! Still love the Daily Mail and it does not offend me at all. People use the race card way to much for their own advantages and gains.If anyone can I could use the race card I can but I prefer to integrate into a country that gave us the opportunity to have a good life. My Dad worked 2 jobs when he arrived and even when we were entitled to benefits he was too proud to claim !!! I agree with the Mail when they say its way too easy to get into the UK now and claim claim claim !!!!

It might be OK for Irish immigrants, but put yourself in the shoes of a British muslim or an Eastern European, the Mail's two main ethnic targets, and you'll probably change your mind.
In Arsene we trust!!

Jawed
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Same here. I was already planning a second trip over there, but now that's out of the window. I thought perhaps the dailymail was a trash paper, but since the same article is also in the BBC, I'm pretty sure it's true. Goodbye Dubai, I'll never visit you again.

Quoting Continental (Reply 26):
If that's true, how awful. I always thought of Dubai as a cool place that I'd want to visit. Now I'm no drug user and I never will be, but I certainly will never visit Dubai.

dl021

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 pm

It see,ms that many people find it offensive to arrest people who violate the local laws. While I agree that the sentences were extreme, and the poppyseed incident is ugly (should be corrected) it also seems that everyone else actually had some trace of drugs on them and were in fact in violation of the law.

He doesn't use drugs, but he goes clubbing......what the hell does that mean?

Don't bring drugs into that country and you'll be ok. Don't take chances with bringing drugs into that country and you'll be ok...

Well, if you were planning on bringing drugs into the country then that's a good idea.

Quoting Jawed (Thread starter):
This could happen to anyone... unbelievable.

Anyone with trace amounts of drugs on them.

Quoting Azhobo (Reply 3):
Agree with you on this. Dubai is not worth the risk as a tourist spot, and apparently not even as a HUB transit spot

It's not worth the risk if you are using or have recently used illegal drugs. They take it seriously.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):
If it were Sudan they would be bombing them and laying down sanctions to get their citizens freed . Its all about OIL OIL OIL !!!!

Relax....you're either being funny or hysterical....which is it?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

N1120A

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 20):

Apparently they have some "new technology" to do such things.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 30):
It see,ms that many people find it offensive to arrest people who violate the local laws.

When local laws are manifestly unreasonable, there is a reason to be offended.

Don't bring drugs into that country and you'll be ok. Don't take chances with bringing drugs into that country and you'll be ok...

He had a microspec on his shoe. He didn't take a chance.

Which means that just about any American carrying a dollar bill is at risk, given the statistics about trace cocaine on paper money.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Toast

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:39 pm

.003 grams of weed. I bet I can get more cannabis in my clothes just by walking through any train station in Brussels. And I remember a study that showed that most paper money in Ireland carried traces of heroin. I never took hard drugs in my life, and have never traveled with any. But if amounts as ridiculously insignificant as this can cost you 4 years of your life in Dubai, then thanks for your famous Arabian hospitality, but I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Poppy seeds? F*cking ridiculous. Hey, Dubai legislators: right now I'm eating through many life sentences' worth of poppy seeds. Mmh, I love poppy cake. But I'm not giving you any.  no 

BTW, I'm pretty sure the UK will make a move to get that guy out of Dubai asap. I'm not normally for bailing out people just because they're from a powerful country, but this seems a very justifiable case.

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 28):
It's not perfect, but neither is London, Rio, NYC, Moscow or Sydney.

Of course, but none of them have drug laws even remotely as uncivilized. Dubai can kiss my beytzim, as can Singapore. I'll never voluntarily submit myself to such Draconian laws. And I say that as someone who despises drugs.
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

casinterest

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:49 pm

He doesn't use drugs, but he goes clubbing......what the hell does that mean?

Umm, according to the article I read, they found the .003 g of Marijuana on the bottom of his show. that means if you walked in the wrong spot, and someone had dropped a spec of Marijuana, you would now be guilty.

Can you even comprehend how small .003 g of MJ is?

the part about the poppy seeds and codiene are what seals it for me.

Hope Emirates and Eithad have big plans for those planes. a lot of people are not going to want to risk their freedom based on Random trace amounts of crap getting them busted.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

SBBRTech

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:56 pm

0.003 g isn't really "bringing drugs over", is it? If you happen to shake hands or bump into a heavy use pot-head or cocaine sniffer you might get more grams than that in your clothes, skin or hair..then what, tough luck they caught you with their "new equipment"? Spend the next 4 yrs in jail thinking about your drug smuggling carreer? How reasonable is that ? I'd like to see any other place where such idiotic resolutions are carried so blindly.

Last yr our security dept. decided to test one of these electronic sensors (expensive piece of equipment. IIRC it was like US$ 30.000 a piece). They spent 2 weeks scanning, testing and going around with that thing but the results were so crazy they still haven't made their minds about it.
My boss put his hand on it and the thing accused TNT presence on him ! One of the reserved areas men's WC tested positive for every single type of drug the machine could test, it's outrageous. We even got people willing to do drug tests just to prove it wrong.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

a380us

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:57 pm

THIS IS RETARDED
can other countries intervene with these kind of things?
www.JandACosmetics.com

N1120A

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting A380US (Reply 35):
can other countries intervene with these kind of things?

There are lots of ways other countries can intervene, but it is unlikely the will.

OA260

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:29 pm

It might be OK for Irish immigrants

Read my post again !!! Ive lived in Ireland for 10 years ....Im not Irish , no Irish blood at all !!! Fathers from Guyana and Mother Greek !!!! Guyana was a British Colony FYI and before that my fathers ancestors were brought from India to Guyana on Slave ships !!!!! You dont see me giving out because they were ripped from their homeland .

Relax....you're either being funny or hysterical....which is it?

A bit of both  Wink

Dougloid

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 23):
And on a lighter note, have you seen the picture on the article?
They probably sent him to jail for looking like such an idiot... As they should.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 25):
Wow. Seems like such a friendly place doesn't it? Yeah sure Yeah sure

Actually it is. Would you rather ridiculous tolerance that would give birth to a Meth problem as in the US?

An American problem he says?

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/darkcrystal/canada.html
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Jetsgo

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:55 am

Ladies, settle down and loosen the panties. Acting like a bunch of whiners for everyone to see.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Continental

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:54 am

It's not perfect, but neither is London, Rio, NYC, Moscow or Sydney

Yeah but neither of those places will lock you up for something that is so ridiculous.

MD11Engineer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 33):
Umm, according to the article I read, they found the .003 g of Marijuana on the bottom of his show. that means if you walked in the wrong spot, and someone had dropped a spec of Marijuana, you would now be guilty.

Can you even comprehend how small .003 g of MJ is?

Just for information: to roll a small joint, you need between 0.5 and 1 gram of MJ (Yes, about 20 years ago, during university I was smoking the occasional reefer).
0.003 grams is nothing.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

JoKeR

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:59 am

While I support zero-tolerance stance towards drugs and drug possessions, DXB Government has gone a bit over the top.

I'm sure this poor guy will be out in no time, pardoned by the Sheiks...

But the Swiss guy... man.... that's plain ridiculous!!!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

a380us

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:41 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
There are lots of ways other countries can intervene, but it is unlikely the will.

Why not they would just watch there citizens get harrased like this?
www.JandACosmetics.com

N1120A

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:41 am

Quoting A380US (Reply 47):

The sad fact is that most countries will put political ties over the human rights of their individual citizens.

Soku39

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 am

Count me in for the people that think this is absolutely ridiculous, and will never set foot in Dubai as long as this is the case. I'm sorry it's not worth my freedom to see some skyscrapers and rampant urban sprawl, and I don't think there's an ignorant word in that statement. .003 gimme a break...
The Ohio Player

LOT767-300ER

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:12 am

It makes you wonder if people really are that ignorant or they simply choose to sound uneducated and dim? If you think Dubai only has sand and skyscrapers then you obviously have never been there (bet on that) or don't know much about it. It has money, bucket loads of it, it has trade, tourism, business, sporting events, a large aviation hub, last but not least, millions of tourists from all over the world. It's not perfect, but neither is London, Rio, NYC, Moscow or Sydney. If you don't want to go to Dubai out of your sheer ignorance then that's your choice.

I have been there on 2 occasions. The 2nd thankfully was not long. The weather sucks, the people suck, the traffic sucks, and there is more culture in North Platte, Nebraska (Been there buddy?).

Money cant build great cities, time, culture and history builds great cities. All the cities you mentioned have that, Dubai does not. Dont look at me, I didnt place Dubai in the middle of the most unpleasant region of the world with a culture that I personally find the most unpleasant.

Mir

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:47 am

It see,ms that many people find it offensive to arrest people who violate the local laws.

It is offensive to put someone in prison for four years just because of a tiny trace of a drug that he could have picked up anywhere. Perhaps he just put his foot down in the wrong place in Amsterdam or something. .003g is nothing at all, and you'd be very hard pressed to prove that he had any idea that he had it on him.

I'm all for tough drug laws, but they need to be tough on those who actually are in the drug trade, not those who managed to unintentionally pick up some residue.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

halls120

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 15):

The Sun is read by people who don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits!

And the problem with that is?  Wink

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 20):

Apparently they have some "new technology" to do such things.

It isn't "new technology." We have the same technology here.

Quoting Continental (Reply 43):
It's not perfect, but neither is London, Rio, NYC, Moscow or Sydney

Yeah but neither of those places will lock you up for something that is so ridiculous.

Nor will you get locked up in the US for an amount that tiny.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
Quoting A380US (Reply 47):

The sad fact is that most countries will put political ties over the human rights of their individual citizens.

It's not all that simple. It's called respect for another country's legal system. If we want Dubai or any other country to respect the judicial system of the US, we respect their judicial system.

We might not like their sentencing policy, but it is their country.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

airxliban

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Try going to neighbouring Saudi Arabia where ANY drugs will get you BEHEADED by sword. In fact the Saudi landing cards even say it: "Death to drug traffickers"

They do behead people for bringing in drugs to the country.

Back to Dubai for a moment...I heard that the Dubai Government jailed a UN drugs inspector who accidentally carried in some minutely small amount of drugs on his clothes by complete accident on the way back to Dubai from a drug busting mission in Afghanistan...don't know if its true.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.