FriendlySkies
Topic Author

Chavez: "We Aren't Going To Send Oil To The US"

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 pm

MSNBC is reporting that everyone's favorite dictator, Hugo Chavez, is yet again threatening to stop oil exports to the US if ExxonMobile continues to try to secure assets in Venezuela.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23098780/

Quote:

"If you end up freezing (Venezuelan assets) and it harms us, we're going to harm you," Chavez said, turning his words to U.S. President George W. Bush. "Do you know how? We aren't going to send oil to the United States. Take note, Mr. Bush, Mr. Danger."

Quote:

"I speak to the U.S. empire, because that's the master: continue and you will see that we won't send one drop of oil to the empire of the United States," Chavez said during his weekly radio and television program, "Hello, President."

Personally, I think we (US) should just stop importing from Venezuela. It would be expensive and cause prices to jump in the near term, but frankly, I'm just stick of this lunatic. We should just cut all ties with him, seems that's what he wants anyway.

Arrow

RE: Chavez: "We Aren't Going To Send Oil To The US"

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Thread starter):
Personally, I think we (US) should just stop importing from Venezuela. It would be expensive and cause prices to jump in the near term, but frankly, I'm just stick of this lunatic. We should just cut all ties with him, seems that's what he wants anyway.

It's not that simple. Gulf coast refineries were designed to handle the very heavy stuff that comes from Venezuela, and they'd be in trouble if the supply was suddenly cut off. Having said that, they are pulling out all the stops to try and increase the volume of heavy crude from the tar sands in Alberta. There have actually been a few oil tanker shipments from Vancouver, down through the Panama canal, to the gulf coast. At the same time, they are putting new pipe in the ground as fast as they can to get the flow from Canada increased.

So don't do anything to piss us off.  Big grin
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

LTU932

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:52 pm

Personally, I think we (US) should just stop importing from Venezuela. It would be expensive and cause prices to jump in the near term, but frankly, I'm just stick of this lunatic.

We're all sick and tired of Chávez, but as far as banning imports from Venezuela, I don't think such a ban would happen in the near term (at least not until 6 months after the Presidential inauguration). Even then, there's no guarantee that Big Oil, particularly CITGO, would allow that. That being said, Chávez needs those oil exports to the US, it's one of the main sources for financing his own dictatorship.

Personally, ban his oil from the US and cut off that flow of money that he so desperately needs for his dictatorship. I'm still very surprised that despite the Bush-Cheney doctrine, the US is still doing business with Venezuela's dictatorship.

Falcon84

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
We're all sick and tired of Chávez

Most of you are sick and tired of him! Don't include us! We love him!

Signed,

Alex!!!! and Joni
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Personally, I think we (US) should just stop importing from Venezuela.

And that will not happen. While many may not like Chavez, buying oil from his country is far better than the alternative, which is importing more from Saudi Arabia.

I'm still very surprised that despite the Bush-Cheney doctrine, the US is still doing business with Venezuela's dictatorship.

For the exact reason mentioned in your first clause, you should not be surprised at all that the US does business with Venezuela
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Falcon84

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:02 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
And that will not happen. While many may not like Chavez, buying oil from his country is far better than the alternative, which is importing more from Saudi Arabia.

Why is that a worse alternative? If the Saudi's can make up what we lose because of Venezuela, and it stings Chavez financially, all the better.
Work Right, Fly Hard

alberchico

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 am

I'm still very surprised that despite the Bush-Cheney doctrine, the US is still doing business with Venezuela's dictatorship

Take a look at some of our allies. Its a very hypocritical to the extreme but absolutely necessary . No wonder people around the world hate us.....

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):

Signed,

Alex!!!! and Joni

Everybody is entitled to their opinion...
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

N1120A

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):

Why is that a worse alternative? If the Saudi's can make up what we lose because of Venezuela, and it stings Chavez financially, all the better.

You are kidding, right? At least Chavez is still held at least a little bit accountable to the electorate, as was shown by the referendum late last year. Further, I don't know of any Venezuelan terrorists that have attacked the US recently, and certainly none named Osama Bin Laden, Mohammad Atta or King Abdullah al-Saud for that matter.

Chiguire

RE: Chavez: "We Aren't Going To Send Oil To The US

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 am

I'm just stick of this lunatic
Don't worry ! I would say around 80 % of all Venezuelan are tired of him and 60 % wouldn't vote for him again. It is always the same ! He is boring the whole country and driving its economy down the drain. Day by day...more and more. Even his supporters are sick of this guy.

We should just cut all ties with him, seems that's what he wants anyway.
That's what he wants. And that's what would make him strong again giving him an excuse for all his failures...the US empire. Leave him, let him talk. As soon as he is alone he has no chance !

Just give us some time here. We need some elections to solve the "problem". By the end of the year he is going to lose lots of states in the governors elections and in 2009 there will be a referendum to revoke him.

[Edited 2008-02-10 16:12:50]

Falcon84

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
You are kidding, right? At least Chavez is still held at least a little bit accountable to the electorate, as was shown by the referendum late last year.

I'm more worried about gas prices here right now, not Chavez dealing with his electorate, much as I support the Venezuelan people.
Work Right, Fly Hard

alberchico

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:34 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 8):
By the end of the year he is going to lose lots of states in the governors elections and in 2009 there will be a referendum to revoke him.

Wasn't there already a referendum to remove him from office? And wasn't that election judged fair by international observers?

Don't worry ! I would say around 80 % of all Venezuelan are tired of him and 60 % wouldn't vote for him again. It is always the same ! He is boring the whole country and driving its economy down the drain

If he could tone down the crazy rhetoric and focus just on social programs for the poor and keeping inflation under control he would be a more popular leader....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

AR385

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:34 am

You are kidding, right? At least Chavez is still held at least a little bit accountable to the electorate, as was shown by the referendum late last year.

Chavez, while an orangutan, is pretty intelligent. It was in his interest to loose that referendum and so he did.

Just give us some time here. We need some elections to solve the "problem". By the end of the year he is going to lose lots of states in the governors elections and in 2009 there will be a referendum to revoke him.

I don't believe Chavez will recognize any election result that does not suit him.

More than 75% of Venezuela's income comes from oil exports. More than 25% of that income, if not more, comes from oil exports to the US. Furthermore, few countries in the world can process the oil coming from Venezuela. Good luck stopping oil exports to the US. It would instantly bankrupt the country and not even Chavez would be able to handle the social backlash. Thus, it's something that will not happen. Just more vintage Chavez trash talk.

N1120A

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:39 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 9):
I'm more worried about gas prices here right now, not Chavez dealing with his electorate, much as I support the Venezuelan people.

If that is the case, then you definitely don't want Saudi Arabia replacing Venezuela

mham001

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:44 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 11):
Furthermore, few countries in the world can process the oil coming from Venezuela. Good luck stopping oil exports to the US. It would instantly bankrupt the country and not even Chavez would be able to handle the social backlash. Thus, it's something that will not happen. Just more vintage Chavez trash talk.

Exactly. He's said it before and he'll probably say it again. It is interesting the Exxon position. They stood up to him and won in court. It seems as though Chavez is worried.

Arrow

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:52 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 11):
Furthermore, few countries in the world can process the oil coming from Venezuela.

Don't get too complacent; that can be fixed. China is trying to tie up as much oil supply as it can around the world, and it isn't rocket science to tweak a refinery to handle that heavy crude. Those shipments out of Vancouver? Some of them went to China for an evaluation.

SOBHI51

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:54 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):

Saudi can not replace the Venezuelan production.The market is already very tight.

and certainly none named Osama Bin Laden, Mohammad Atta or King Abdullah al-Saud for that matter.

Osama is Saudi,Atta was Egyptian.
Now How do you like it if i call the French president a terrorist.I will not because i have a lot of respect to France and the French people.Great country.
King Abdullah is doing a great job.He is very well liked here in Saudi Arabia.I will agree that some mistakes were done in the past.But Under King Abdullah is changing things slowly but surely.You can not people ideas in a year or two.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
If that is the case, then you definitely don't want Saudi Arabia replacing Venezuela

Could i ask you why?
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

N1120A

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:11 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 15):

Could i ask you why?

If he is worried about fuel prices going up further, then he definitely wants the oil that Gulf Coast refineries are set up to handle and that comes a much shorter distance. Not to mention

Now How do you like it if i call the French president a terrorist

I generally prefer to call him a xenophobic elitist

King Abdullah is doing a great job.He is very well liked here in Saudi Arabia.I will agree that some mistakes were done in the past.But Under King Abdullah is changing things slowly but surely.You can not people ideas in a year or two.

A great job of what? Solidifying his family's hold on power at the expense of democracy? Continuing the complete and total subjugation of women not realistically rivaled by any other country in the world? Active and relatively open support of terrorism, including in Iraq? Active support of Sunni terrorism against Iran? The number one state sponsor of terrorism to this day?

steeler83

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:14 am

Chavez is a disgruntled maniacal diabolical degenerate loon with a few too many screws loose who must be overthrown. Take Bin Laden, put him in some form of political office, and you get Hugo Chavez IMO  scared  scared 

Bin Laden is still one scary dude nonetheless!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

roadrunner165

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:22 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):

Signed,

Alex!!!! and Joni

I must be missing something. Who is Alex and who is Joni?

-A

ltbewr

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:22 am

From the news reports, Exxon-Mobil was thrown out as a participant in the development of oil resources in Venezuela, and negating their investment and anticipated profits. Other partners (other foreign-European companies) made deals with the Chavez government reducing their cut in any participation. Exxon-Mobil refused those changes. They got courts in the UK and the Netherlands to order damages in the amounts of something like $ 13 Billion for the negation of their contracts with the Venezualan government. I would assume that the issues Exxon-Mobil has is they believe that the had a contract, that Chavez in his perverse reasoning wants to screw around with the USA and a major oil company, probalby to make a bigger bribe-cut for himself and his supporters on the deal.
Unlike until the 1980's, we can't send in our military to overthrow the dictator and anti-USA jerk Chavez has become. It would be foolish for him to cut off the oil to the USA for the reasons noted above. It would also screw up Citgo a major refiner, distributor, wholesaler and direct marketer of fuel products and petrochemicals which is at least 50% owned by the Venezulen government oil company. They sell their fuel to many states from Texas, the southeast and into the Northeast USA. They have major facilites in Texas, Louisiana, and New Jersey. It would really screw up the world's economies big time with much higher oil prices.
I think the USA ought to put pressure on Chavez by economic embargos and restrictions including foreign exchange, money transfers, travel via visas to the USA as well as other methods.

alberchico

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 17):
Take Bin Laden, put him in some form of political office, and you get Hugo Chavez IMO

Quite an exageration. Chavez is more comparable to Castro than to Bin Laden....

bongo

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:30 am

We have a saying in Spanish something like "dog that barks doesn't bite"... I thing this stupid guy just can't do that...simple: 60% of the Venezuelan oil exports goes to USA while just 15% of the US oil imports comes from Venezuela
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

PPVRA

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:30 am

So then Chavez will sell all that oil to someone else who then will turn around and sell it to the U.S., making some money on top of it . . . Chavez is supporting capitalism by creating more profit opportunities!
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

AR385

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 19):
Other partners (other foreign-European companies) made deals with the Chavez government

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/inter.../elpepiint/20080209elpepiint_2/Tes

Chevron also accepted Chavez's terms, unlike ConocoPhillips who launched a similar strategy to ExxonMobil's.

LTU932

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:51 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 19):
I think the USA ought to put pressure on Chavez by economic embargos and restrictions including foreign exchange, money transfers, travel via visas to the USA as well as other methods.

Forget the visas. Venezuela isn't in the Visa Waiver Programme, so by definition, all Venezuelans have to get a visa to enter the US, even tourists.

sccutler

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:55 am

Yawn. It's a commodity.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

baroque

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:17 am

Maybe instead of slinging insults at Chavez someone should check on the price for steam coal over the past month. You might find part of your answer there.

SOBHI51

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:36 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
A great job of what? Solidifying his family's hold on power at the expense of democracy? Continuing the complete and total subjugation of women not realistically rivaled by any other country in the world? Active and relatively open support of terrorism, including in Iraq? Active support of Sunni terrorism against Iran? The number one state sponsor of terrorism to this day?

Again you are using insults and still i will respond politely.
Women are now intigrated in the society,you will find women doctors,enginers,bankers,etc...As i said before things are really changing but slowly remember the Shah he went about it very fast you can not change people beliefs overnight.Make up your mind about his supports is he pro Sunni or pro Shia he can not be both.We all know where the terrorists come from.King Khaled has proven he is a man of peace in the M.E. conflict and the Lebanese crisis.Now i really object about you calling my country a terrorist country or sponsering terrorism.If you can prove that please go ahead.Remember Saudi Arabia is suffering the most from terrorism and the first goal of Usama Bin Laden is to bring down the Saudi system.
Again please choose your words carefully please.

[Edited 2008-02-10 19:57:50]

LTU932

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:44 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 28):
Women are now intigrated in the society,you will finf women doctors,enginers,bankers,etc...

What about Sharia law? Isn't KSA one of the strictest countries in the world with regards to Sharia law?

SOBHI51

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:55 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 29):
What about Sharia law? Isn't KSA one of the strictest countries in the world with regards to Sharia law
A couple of weeks ago the King did make a big change in the legal system in Saudi.As i said before mistakes were done,i am not denying that but change is here but it must be done slowly.People beliefs can not be deleted with a push of a button.The Shah of Iran paid a dire price for trying to do it fast.Do you need same results to happen in Saudi?I don't.

[Edited 2008-02-10 19:56:26]

L-188

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:04 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 1):
Gulf coast refineries were designed to handle the very heavy stuff that comes from Venezuela, and they'd be in trouble if the supply was suddenly cut off.

Cuts both ways, there isn't the spare refinery capacity to handle Chavez's oil in the rest of the world.

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 20):
Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 17):
Take Bin Laden, put him in some form of political office, and you get Hugo Chavez IMO

Quite an exageration. Chavez is more comparable to Castro than to Bin Laden....

Agreed, Castro is a better comparison.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

rleiro

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 am

Chavez has lost lots of popularity since his 2nd assumption to power. The intentions of implementing a pseudo-socialist-communist regime "a la Fidel", plus the enormous mistake committed in PDVSA (when fired up to 20.000 workers to be replaced by 75.000 non-skilled and politicized employees), the lack of policies that would grant enough food supplies to population and the fail in the so-called socialist missions (for health, education, housing and so on), and the ongoing speech of a "war of classes" have deteriorated his popularity in a great extent.

However, this "tit for that" attitude is not the first. He has already threatened several times that if something happens to him or to the Oil Industry, he would not send "not a drop of oil" to the US. Basically, it is a strategy that seeks to boost his popularity based on a so-called nationalism for the elections of next November, in which governors and majors will be elected. If he losses such elections, it would be the beginning of the end of his intentions to remain permanently in the power.

Saludos,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

L-188

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:13 am

Quoting Rleiro (Reply 32):
He has already threatened several times that if something happens to him or to the Oil Industry, he would not send "not a drop of oil" to the US.

Is he going to make an exception for his lap-dog Joe Kennedy?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

rleiro

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:26 am

Quote:
Is he going to make an exception for his lap-dog Joe Kennedy?

It is a mere speech that is used in this time precisely to raise his popularity as a leader who is not afraid of the "aggressions" of the "imperialism". This is a resource widely used by dictators in the past (Hitler, Mussolini, Idi Amin), and even more by Latin American dictators such as Allende, Castro and Noriega.

He's just bluffing, and he will not stop selling oil to the US. Be sure of it.

Saludos,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

LTU932

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 30):
The Shah of Iran paid a dire price for trying to do it fast.Do you need same results to happen in Saudi?I don't.

Me neither, but the problem is that doesn't get covered by the media. All the media wants to broadcast is negative and sometimes sensationalist, and such things tend to get forgotten. I truely hope KSA is making the necessary progress to allow the full integration of women. But back on topic...

Chavez has lost lots of popularity since his 2nd assumption to power. The intentions of implementing a pseudo-socialist-communist regime "a la Fidel",

With that, are you also referring to the recent referendum on abolishing term limits? We have to remember that the will of the people made it happen that Chávez would get his first politically significant loss in Venezuela. It is said that even Chávez's generals were close to threatening him if he intended to send the military fight the anti-chavistas.

If he losses such elections, it would be the beginning of the end of his intentions to remain permanently in the power.

Then again, nothing will stop him from manipulating these elections. When it comes to Chávez, we have to count with everything. He's still full of surprises (mostly negative ones).

N1120A

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 am

Again you are using insults and still i will respond politely.

I am not insulting anyone. The fact that the Saudi government is propped up by countries that claim to be pro-democracy is an insult.

Women are now intigrated in the society,you will find women doctors,enginers,bankers,etc...

Women can't even testify as witnesses in criminal trials because they are considered "unreliable" and they are punished for being raped. That is hardly integrated.

As i said before things are really changing but slowly remember the Shah he went about it very fast you can not change people beliefs overnight

The Shah of Iran paid a dire price for trying to do it fast.

What in the world are you talking about. Iran was a democracy in 1951 and the Shah had nothing to do with it. The democratically elected government of Iran was overthrown by the same governments that prop up the Saudi regime today, and that led Iran into what it is now.

People beliefs can not be deleted with a push of a button.

People's beliefs have nothing to do with rule of law.

Arrow

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 31):
Cuts both ways, there isn't the spare refinery capacity to handle Chavez's oil in the rest of the world.

For now, yes. But don't count on the status quo. I've clipped a few recent articles that show China is definitely not standing still.

China trader Sinochem starts building 1st refinery
31 Jan, 2008, 1515 hrs IST, REUTERS

BEIJING: State oil trader Sinochem has kicked off building its first wholly owned refinery in China, an industry newspaper said, in line with an earlier plan and putting the trader on track to become China's fourth major refiner. The 100,000 barrels per day refinery will be erected in Quanzhou city in the southeast coastal province of Fujian.

It will process heavy residue oil and is slated for operation in 2010, China Petrochemicals News said on Thursday.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...t_refinery/articleshow/2746082.cms

CNOOC to launch RMB 20 bln refinery in Huizhou

Jan. 25, 2008 (China Knowledge) - China National Offshore Oil Corp (CNOOC)<883> will launch its refinery in Huizhou in the second half of this year, which involves an investment of RMB 20 billion, told by an official from CNOOC. The Huizhou refinery is located in Guangdong Province and is used to process the heavy crude oil with high acid content from the ocean. With the annual...

http://www.chinaknowledge.com/News/news-detail.aspx?type=1&id=12954

Canada saves America's energy bacon
MORRIS BESCHLOSS • SPECIAL TO THE DESERT SUN • FEBRUARY 10, 2008

While America waits for the next energy shoe to drop, the Canadians have vaulted to the No. 1 position of oil exporter to the U.S. With a population only slightly more than 10 percent of the U.S., the world's second largest land mass, and a treasure trove of natural resources, Canada has acted to provide America with an increasing daily flow of 2,431 barrels of oil.

Utilizing a gigantic vein of oil-heavy coal in the Athabasca region of northern Alberta Province, the Canadians have superseded the Saudis as this nation's accelerating source of badly-needed crude.

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dl...10/COLUMNS03/802100307/1026/news12

And from Statistics Canada:

China opens market for Canadian crude oil

In the first seven months of 2007, the value of crude oil exports to China surpassed $150 million, as China and Canada tested out the logistics of shipping Alberta oil through the Port of Vancouver.

While still not a significant share of all of Canada's oil exports, China opened up a potentially large market for Canadian crude oil.

http://www42.statcan.ca/smr04/2007/11/smr04_33007_04_e.htm

The lesson in all that: don't take anything for granted.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:02 am

King Abdullah al-Saud

..... attacked the USA ??? and with Mohammed Atta you mentioned one the four exceptions among the 11Sep01 "activists" which were not Saudi
-

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):

Correct. BUT how can you accuse such a nice guest to Crawford Ranch ?  Big grin  Yeah sure and nice friend of the Bush family.
AND, the USA claim that more than 90% of all terrorists in Iraq come over the Syrian border into Iraq, thereby dropping all accusations against Riyadh !  Wink  Wink
-

N1120A

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:10 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 38):

..... attacked the USA ??? and with Mohammed Atta you mentioned one the four exceptions among the 11Sep01 "activists" which were not Saudi

Atta was my mistake.

diamond

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:13 am

This thread has veered way off-topic and has little to do with Chavez and Venezuela now.

Locked.
Blank.