Restaurant Computers And MIS

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 am

As many of you know, I work at In-N-Out Burger. After an incident we had the other night, I was curious how other restaurants, especially sit downs, would have handled the same situation. This is due to the fact that at fast food, you pay before you eat, versus sit downs where you pay after you eat.

So the other night during the middle of the dinner rush, our back room computer went offline. This in turned caused the six POS (Point of Sale) terminals up front used for order taking and money handling to go offline. Being that they were offline, there was no way we could run through any credit transactions or even take orders on them. We could only take orders by hand on paper, use price/tax guides for prices, and only accept cash as form of payment. It was neat doing operations so differently, but surprisingly not very many people had cash, so we had to turn them away. This lasted for about 30 minutes until our MIS department finally got things back under control.

So my question is, what happens if at a sit down restaurant their computers go offline during your meal, you only have a credit/debit card? To they do it the old school way and make a carbon copy of your card? Can they only accept cash? Is your meal then free? Just curious...

Feel free to share any experiences...
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

RE: Restaurant Computers And MIS

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:14 am

Quoting JetsGo (Thread starter):
old school way and make a carbon copy of your card

Yep. Then when the system comes back up, the manager will run all the credit cards manually. Plus it's a bitch hand writing all those orders out by hand to give the kitchen.