B747forever
Topic Author

Has Anyone Here Never Been In Ikea?

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:32 am

After reading Alitalia777s thread, I wonder if anyone here never been in Ikea and bought something?? They are so big and are in so many countries, so will be interesting to hear if one have never been in a ikea store, and the reason for that??
Work Hard, Fly Right

ZKSUJ

RE: Has Anyone Here Never Been In Ikea?

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:38 am

My parents bought plenty of furniture when we moved a long time ago. What used to be my desk and I think my bed are from there

Ps76

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:41 am

Hi,

I have only been in an Ikea once (with my brother who was buying something) but I have never bought anything from there. I guess this is mainly because I still live at home with my parents(!) and have never had the need to buy furniture so far. But one thing I remember is they had a place to put batteries for recycling and even today I have this bag of like 50 batteries which I keep planning to take to Ikea! (it's the only place I know which recycles them!).

P.

RicciPettit

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 pm

I've sneakily used Ikea's car park but never actually set foot in one.
Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either!

B747forever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Quoting RicciPettit (Reply 3):
I've sneakily used Ikea's car park but never actually set foot in one.

LOL!! Using their car park, but dont even go into the store.

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
it's the only place I know which recycles them!).

He, he. So one day you will be forced to go to Ikea.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Elite

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:11 pm

It has good stuff for a cheap price. I always buy their chairs / lamps, they look great.

flashflyguy

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
I have only been in an Ikea once (with my brother who was buying something) but I have never bought anything from there.

Exactly the same with me. And I only went because I'd never been before.

Actually their stuff doesn't do anything for me. I sat on a couple of their lounges and I found they were very uncomfortable for me.

dtwclipper

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Never been and have no plans to do so.

I'm way past that point in my life where I would need to shop at places like that.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

MIAspotter

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:37 pm

I have!

When we moved to our flat here in BCN we bought everything we needed to get started (Cutlery, crockery, pans and pots, bedding, lamps, etc) in fact my whole room is IKEA. I quite like going there actually there is always some cool stuff there.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

PlymSpotter

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 pm

I've never been to an Ikea myself, nor do I really want to - it was bad enough working in a B&Q warehouse for a year (Orange aprons - *shudders*), but there is a huge one up the road. I'm pretty sure it's where my landlord purchased most of the furniture for our student house from.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

INNflight

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Quoting B747forever (Thread starter):
so will be interesting to hear if one have never been in a ikea store

Is Lea's family on holidays again?  

We've got a large one in town, my best friend works part-time there, so I've been often.

[Edited 2008-02-16 08:52:25]
Jet Visuals

B747forever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):
in fact my whole room is IKEA. I

He, he. Interesting. I have a few things from Ikea in my room.
Work Hard, Fly Right

NWADC9

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:11 pm

I can't believe of all cities, Pittsburgh(!!!) has an IKEA. Heck, it's 15 minutes away! A crapload of stuff of ours is from there. Most of the furniture, some toys from long ago, lots of goodies.
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

Faustino927

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:15 pm

My guest room is decorated with Ikea furniture, I love it! They are in Fort Lauderdale, it's 30 minutes from Miami.
I am thinking about buying more for the family room.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

B747forever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Seems that Ikea is really popular. That is great!!!
Work Hard, Fly Right

azo

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I've never been, despite the one recently opened in Canton, MI. If I had a need for furniture I would love to make a trip out there. But my house is full enough as it is.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

skywatch

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:36 pm

One opened up in my city a few years ago....but I have never been inside. No need.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

mhodgson

Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:29 pm

I've had stuff bought from me from there; though I have never personally set foot in one.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Jasondn

Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I have been in the one here in Kuwait, only bought a lamp though

B747forever
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting Jasondn (Reply 18):

And a lamp was the only thing you found in Ikea??  Wink
Work Hard, Fly Right

captaink

Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:55 pm

I had the 'grand' opportunity to go to Ikea in PIT, caues where we live in NY, I don't see no Ikea nearby. But I hear they opening one, cause there were some ads for people interested in employment.
There is something special about planes....

shamrock350

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Never. There's one about 10 minutes away from me in Wembley but theres a B&Q, Homebase and DFS even closer so theres no point going to the Ikea.

ZBBYLW

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:14 pm

I have never been! Though I am the only person I personally know that has never been.
Keep the shinny side up!

NeilYYZ

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 pm

I've never been. I've looked through their brochure though, the stuff looks alright, but there's other stores like Leon's and The Brick which I go to when I need furniture.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

PSA53

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 pm

I've never been.In the Inland Empire,we are overflowing with furniture stores,from the trendy to budget minded,that isn't really necessary to drive to IKEA Covina in the LA county.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

TupolevTu154

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Here's something I found highly amusing but at the same time, incredibly accurate about IKEA.

Taken from the book, "Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?" by Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur:

"When IKEA opened its new store in Edmonton, security guards were soon swamped by 6000 shoppers, grabbing at sofas and shouting 'Mine! Mine!'. Many collapsed with heat exhaustion and 20 needed hospital treatment.

Of course, we're not suggesting the company was in any way responsible for the carnage. After all, a visit to IKEA is usually connected in my mind with inner calm, low blood pressure and a total absence of any thoughts of violence. No, hang on - I was thinking of the park.

IKEA fucks with your head. All you want is some furniture: why do they want your sanity in return? The layout alone makes you feel like a lab rat. The stores are like psychoactive jigsaw puzzles with moving pieces, designed by a sick Swedish physicist with access to extra dimensions.

They have what look like shortcuts between adjoining sections, allowing you to pop through a little walkway from one part of the store to another. But where you end up won't be where you were trying to get to, even if the store map said it would be. Worse, if you decide you were better off where you were, and pop back through the hole, you won't end up where you started, but in a different section again. Sometimes on a different floor altogether. In a different branch of IKEA.

There are some amazing statistics concerning IKEA. Apparently , 95% of all couples who move in together visit an IKEA within one month of moving in together. Of these, only 3% manage to buy the things they were there for, and 100% of them are related to the staff.

Young couples troop into IKEA with high hopes. They emerge as husks. And without having bought any furniture. IKEA still makes huge profits, however - all of which come from those funny Scandinavian hot dogs, meatballs and cakes they sell at the exit. And from light bulbs.

100% of people who visit IKEA buy light bulbs. IKEA do sell very cheap light bulbs. Everyone buys the light bulbs because a) they are so cheap, and b) they can't come away empty handed having spent three hours of pain and panic in IKEA.

Everything in IKEA has funny names: you will find cupboards and beds called things like Dave and Philip, or Claire. Or Jurgen-Bergen-Heldenveldenstetser. If you try to buy any of them, you will be directed to a warehouse where your item - a chair, say - is placed carefully on top of some 80 feet high shelves. They will tell you that a man will come and get it down for you. The man will never come."

Tom Big grin

shamrock350

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 25):
"When IKEA opened its new store in Edmonton, security guards were soon swamped by 6000 shoppers

Shouldn't that read, "When IKEA opened its new store in one of the roughest parts of London, illegal immigrants were soon swamped by 6000 Vicky Pollards"  Wink

TUNisia

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:06 pm

I went once and the maze thing turned me off.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

co777er

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 27):
I went once and the maze thing turned me off.

Yeah, the maze is rather annoying. It took me atleast 30 mins to find the exit!

beefer

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:12 pm

They opened one in the Minneapolis, MN area right next to the Mall Of America a couple of years ago.

Have only been in there one time. My wife bought a table for scrapbooking there. It is actually pretty cool and is more like a draftsmen's table. It was very easy to put together and has held up really well.

KAUSpilot

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:15 pm

I have never been in an Ikea store.

There is one in my city but I've had no reason to go there. Wish I could say the same about Wal-Mart.

TupolevTu154

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 26):
When IKEA opened its new store in one of the roughest parts of London,

Croydon?  duck 

NeilYYZ

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Quoting CO777ER (Reply 28):

Yeah, the maze is rather annoying. It took me atleast 30 mins to find the exit!

From what I've heard when you enter an Ikea it would be best if they handed out GPS units. The parking lot alone is enough to scare me off.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

sw733

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 pm

I love Ikea...I find myself at the one in Schaumburg, IL more than I care to admit. I currently have an awesome new bedside table and lamp from Ikea that I bought when in the Chicago area at Christmas. Good stuff...

But I do know many, many, many, many people who have not been to Ikea. I know some who have never heard of Ikea. That's what happens when you're from freakin' Namibia  Wink

Ps76

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi,

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
it's the only place I know which recycles them!).

He, he. So one day you will be forced to go to Ikea.

But just to drop off batteries.  Wink  duck 

P.

sevenair

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:51 pm

I worked at IKEA (Newcastle,UK) for 5 years - and mainly on weekends we always get people who have not been before.

And you get the usual questions;

"You mean I need to assemble this myself?"
"How's it so cheap?"
"Delivery is not 'free'?"
"I have to collect the item from the warehouse? Myself?"
"Where's the exit?" or "I've been going round in circles for an hour trying to find the lighting department" - follow the arrows, crazy fools!
"Do you have those curtains in stock?" The ones with the funny name? (that narrows it down!).

And you would get people asking general questions about how it works. When I began, people would literally travel for hours - some coming from Northern Ireland!

I do miss IKEA - it's a great place to work, and the history of the company is quite astonishing.

LHboyatDTW

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:05 pm

Quoting AZO (Reply 15):
despite the one recently opened in Canton, MI.

I go to that one fairly often. Assuming my evening class gets out early enough to let me snatch some Swedish meatballs. That's the only thing I bought from there.

Shameless Swedish pride I know  Yeah sure

he layout alone makes you feel like a lab rat.

Quoting CO777ER (Reply 28):
It took me atleast 30 mins to find the exit!

so true

Sometimes I just walk around a portion of it just to see people half ass the Swedish pronunciation.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

IH8BY

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 21):
There's one about 10 minutes away from me in Wembley but theres a B&Q, Homebase and DFS even closer so theres no point going to the Ikea.

I think I'd probably still choose IKEA over those. I don't really do the whole interior design thing, but at least the stuff at IKEA is vaguely interesting, which I haven't so far found to be the case with most stuff from the big British names. The POANG armchairs are comfortable too.

The first time I went to IKEA (the one near Wembley/Neasden/some London suburb) I got a bit scared; I was not very old, and with my parents. I didn't get taken to shops very often, and when I did it was usually in the middle of the day. It was getting on for the end of the working day, and the voice over the tannoy said the store was going to close in 15 minutes; I begged my parents to drop everything and leave, because I didn't want to get locked in!

I went to the IKEA in Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago, and I'll admit I actually quite enjoyed it.

funny Scandinavian hot dogs, meatballs and cakes they sell at the exit

Don't forget the strangely enigmatic Lingonberry Jam. Nobody outside Scandinavia seems to know what it is, nobody who goes to IKEA actually ever seems to buy it, but there's always a lot of it in the food market!
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

a380us

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:37 pm

I havent
and dont plan on it, ever.
www.JandACosmetics.com

acho

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:43 pm

In my house we have a ton of IKEA stuff. About 5 years ago we went up to Houston and put of bunch of furniture in a smal truck, we hired some guys to import it into Mexico, and drive it to our house in Monterrey, we had to pay like 15% tax to get it in, but the prices being so low it wasn´t that much for the amount of furniture we bought.

After that we have been up to Houston in our Suburban for overall shopping, and we almost always bring a couple of pieces of furniture. It's aways fun to go to the IKEA store. I have been in three of their stores, Houston, Los Angeles and London.

super737

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:03 am

Shouldn't that read, "When IKEA opened its new store in one of the roughest parts of London, illegal immigrants were soon swamped by 6000 Vicky Pollards"

LOL very funny but true!

I went to ikea the other day to look for furniture but i didn't like it very much! Tried one of the hot dogs and again i didn't think they were any good either IMHO. It just seems to be like an airport were you are trapped and forced to look at everything for sale although that is probably a great commercial decision except i didn't see any uber hot swedish ladies  Sad Wishful thinking on my part!
If its not a super tractor its not a plane

trekster

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:10 am

This made me laugh when I first saw it as i did not know Ikea was popular overseas.

Hiltona Beach Club, Hilton Hotel Abu Dhabi. JUST over the bay, I was shocked to see the Ikea Sign lol. Sitting enjoy the sun sea and....................sea, Im staring at an Ikea sign, not something i thought i would see.
Where does the time go???

Boeing744

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 am

Nope, I've never been to an Ikea.

We don't have one here, but you can fly right over one on certain approaches to YVR. Pretty hard to miss with the colours!

Fantikerz

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:34 am

I never have, mostly because we don't have one around here. We do have the equivalent though, which is Sears.

redngold

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:42 am

I think I have seen an IKEA from the New Jersey Turnpike, but I've never been inside one or accompanied anyone going to one.
Up, up and away!

Lufthansa411

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:49 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 37):
Don't forget the strangely enigmatic Lingonberry Jam. Nobody outside Scandinavia seems to know what it is, nobody who goes to IKEA actually ever seems to buy it, but there's always a lot of it in the food market!

I have bought the Lingonberry "preserves". They are quite tasty actually. I usually buy that and a couple bags of the elk shaped pasta that is always fun to eat when you are pissed at 2 am.

I have bought quite a bit of stuff at IKEA both in Stoughton MA and Paramus NJ. The stuff is incredibly durable and built like a rock, which is surprising given how people make fun of it.

Speaking of the Paramus IKEA as well as the IKEA , there was a funny video around christmas time that mentioned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMnmymg1n0

Lufthansa411
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

MCOflyer

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:29 am

No I have not.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

flashflyguy

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:16 am

Taken from the book, "Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?" by Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur:

IKEA fucks with your head. All you want is some furniture: why do they want your sanity in return? The layout alone makes you feel like a lab rat. The stores are like psychoactive jigsaw puzzles with moving pieces, designed by a sick Swedish physicist with access to extra dimensions.

They have what look like shortcuts between adjoining sections, allowing you to pop through a little walkway from one part of the store to another. But where you end up won't be where you were trying to get to, even if the store map said it would be. Worse, if you decide you were better off where you were, and pop back through the hole, you won't end up where you started, but in a different section again. Sometimes on a different floor altogether. In a different branch of IKEA.

This actually describes my experience perfectly -- I thought I was going to go mental in there.

Shouldn't that read, "When IKEA opened its new store in one of the roughest parts of London, illegal immigrants were soon swamped by 6000 Vicky Pollards"

laughing   laughing   laughing 

Thanks for that visual...I just snorted a mouthful of my coffee out my nose.  highfive 

ReidYYZ

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
place to put batteries for recycling

I too stock up and bring my batteries in, and compact fluorescent bulbs as well which they take. I no longer give my wife grief for going to IKEA. The prices are reasonable; all their products do not come exclusively from China, they spread out the wealth to a few developing countries and some developed ones as well as far as suppliers; some assembly required means it didn't burden the planet as much to ship it and my absolute favorite part ALL THE PACKAGING IS RECYCLABLE! I mean how novel an idea is this? To clarify, aside from the cardboard (no-brainer) the plastic shrink wrap and styrofoam is clearly identified with the recycling triangle symbol. A corporation that dictates to its suppliers to give a shit about the planet (Hey Walmart, are you paying attention?) is the kind I will support. I popped in a few weeks ago to buy a matching picture frame that I bought a few years ago, still in stock, and stuffed my face for $3.

andz

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:04 am

There are no Ikea stores in South Africa but I have been into the one in Freiburg in Germany. My friend bought an occasional table and I had it together in about ten minutes. I would have thought that this country would be ripe for an Ikea invasion.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...