AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Best Place To Live In The World

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:23 pm

What is your favorite city/metropolitan area which you live in or you would like to live in throughout the world? For what aspects?

Mine are one, the Paris metropolitan area. Personally, Paris is the greatest city in the world and many of the suburbs I could easily see myself living in. Second, is the Randstad. I love Dutch architecture as it breaks the lines yet is also very traditional. I love the Dutch townhouses and apartments located in cities like Rotterdam and The Hague. I also love how densly populated this area is and how there is great dining, walking, shopping and a nice quality of life. Third, would be Buenos Aires. I am going there this summer for four weeks but I just love the culture and architecture. I think it is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Those are some of mine. What are yours?

EvilForce

RE: Best Place To Live In The World

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm

I have lived in many places, including central Europe. All places have their upsides and downsides. Asking me which place is my "favorite" is hard. I can say my favorite place for weather. Or my favorite place for eating out. Etc... A city or place is what you make it. I travel quite often for business, and my mental "game" I play with myself is to find 2 things I like about each city I go to. I may think El Paso is a dump (and it is) but the food there is awesome! I find Salt Lake City to be dreary and dreadful.... but I stay up in Park City when I'm there, and I must say it's one of the prettiest places on Earth.

There are only two places I have never been able to find 2 things I like about either of them. Toledo, OH and Sacramento, CA. World class dumps.

I can live just about anywhere. I love Tokyo, Sydney, the Patagonia, Costa Rica, Ljubljana Slovenia, Prague, Copenhagen, Hong Kong, Vancouver, and Toronto.

I guess if I had to pick which place I'd like to live next... I'd go with Sydney or Ljubljana.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

NeilYYZ

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:36 pm

I love living in Toronto, although I could probably live in any large metropolitan area in North America, if I had to choose I'd go for New York, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix or Seattle.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

OA260

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Id love to live in Vienna or Zurich but you would need to have alot of money to have a nice place to live. Id also love a Summer house in Greece or Cyprus.

halls120

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Thread starter):
What is your favorite city/metropolitan area which you live in or you would like to live in throughout the world? For what aspects?

Tough question. First off, I don't really want to live in a large metro area. I'd rather live in a less crowded venue, but close enough to a big city for those times when I needed a "big city" fix.

But if we are limited to large metro areas, in the US I'd have to cast my vote for San Diego and San Francisco. Elsewhere, I could easily live in Vienna, London, or Edinburgh.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 1):
Ljubljana

Now, I always think of Slovenia as being a really nice country. I mean although the name sounds eastern, the country itself has a lot to offer. I mean, my family would never go to Ljubljana, but the pictures I've seen and the research I have done over the years has made it seem like a nice city. Plus, I could speak Italian there, big plus for me! But, is it a cosmopolitan place? I mean the mountains are nice as well as the architecture, but what makes it such a great city to be in?

AirCop

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Where ever home is at the moment.

Given my idea place in the United States its the San Francisco Bay Area or San Diego Area..

EvilForce

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Reply 5):
But, is it a cosmopolitan place? I mean the mountains are nice as well as the architecture, but what makes it such a great city to be in?

It's a very vibrant city. I was first there in 4 weeks after 9/11. Had a blast. The cafe culture had old and young alike outdoors at the various eating places on an Oct. Friday eve, laughing, and enjoying life with techno music playing from the town square. The cost of living then was amazingly cheap. I paid about $ .35 for a beer. My b/f and I got drunk for $ 5. Food was great! (Prices have gone up, but it's still a cheap place by relative standards) It's a college town with a large university. In addition to the student population there are another 300,000 in the city. It's close to lots of outdoor activity either up in Lake Bled, or heading down into Croatia. They had an art museum that we went to before grand opening. Overall, a very nice place to be.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

Fantikerz

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:18 pm

I love living in Coeur d' Alene. Beautiful winters, and warm summers.

Right by the lake, resort, golf courses, and 5 ski resorts. In addition, we can head over to Spokane in case we need to go to the airport, want to go to a larger mall, or for other things.. Also, there isn't much in the way of geological risks, like earthquakes, tornados, or tsunamis..

dc9northwest

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Most European large cities are nice and easy to live in, albeit expensive sometimes. Chicago, New York, Boston and Washington DC fit my category as well. In the rest of the world... I'll let people that have actually seen those cities to have their say.

AirTranTUS

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:24 pm

I think that place would be the southwestern United States. This includes SoCal, Vegas, Arizona, New Mexico, El Paso, and S. Utah & Colorado. The only problem is that lots of people agree and are moving here.
I love ASO!

A342

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:31 pm

The old part of Dubrovnik is very beautiful, but I don't know if I'd like to live there.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Plane Holland

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Sydney, Australia, by far.

Second, is the Randstad. I love Dutch architecture as it breaks the lines yet is also very traditional. I love the Dutch townhouses and apartments located in cities like Rotterdam and The Hague. I also love how densly populated this area is and how there is great dining, walking, shopping and a nice quality of life.

Well, I live there and trust me, I'm seriously busy trying to find ways to emigrate. Quality of life is going down here. Dining is good though although Sydney they sell Honey chicken and you can't find that in this country.

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Quoting Plane Holland (Reply 12):
Well, I live there and trust me, I'm seriously busy trying to find ways to emigrate. Quality of life is going down here. Dining is good though although Sydney they sell Honey chicken and you can't find that in this country.

Well, although I have not been to the Randstad, I have spent much time looking at pictures of the three big cities and looking at real estate and dining guides. I mean, statistics wise, the Netherlands is one of the most open, free, economically friendly places in the world. The use the Euro and are part of the Schengen and that really appeals to me. However, although English is widely spoken, it is not official so I would rather move to a place where the language is more useful elsewhere and not as hard to learn when English is spoken. I just love the architecture and planning of the Randstad. Although there are industrial parks, for the most part, the towns, cities, roads, highways are all nice. It feels very urban and populated without feeling suburban, qualities which I like. So, I mean, could you explain why it is getting so much worse? Is it just immigration or is it just the overall mentality?

DC10extender

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Anywhere in the good old USA! Although with the winters up here, a Caribbean island would be great too. As for Paris, it is too crowded and the people are too rude for a good Minnesota boy like me. I love the Bay area but I also just love the US in general.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

Arniepie

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:45 pm

The grass is always greener on the other side.....

I've heard many times about people wanting to move to a different and better place in the world but I've also heard somewhere , and correct me if I'm wrong , that as many as 1/3 to half the people come back more or less disillusioned after about 3 years.

I think that for many people in the second or third world countries it is indeed a real dream to go to countries where its better and for those people it usually turns out to be true but even then they suffer from homesickness and severe adjusting problems.
For us first worldners (is that even a word?) it is hard to appreciate the things we have until we part from them, only then we start appreciating our home countries better and we start truly understanding how good it really is.

Personally I've spend a fair amount abroad in all parts of the world and while I wouldn't mind moving to other places for good (Netherlands, US-east/west coast or the Chicago area , Canada, ...) I still believe I can also be perfectly happy staying in our little spot on the world.

Our weather is not the best and it might look terribly unorganized and messy to the untrained eye it still gives a lot back like, the best taverns bars and restaurants in the world (IMHO), overall nice and sometimes weird people, an excellent social security and healthcare system, not too exuberantly expensive pricing, good central location in the EU, Lots of personal freedom and even some very pretty places like Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp and even some places in the Brussels area, nice wide (and topless!!!) beaches and the lovely Ardennes.

In time I will be moving back to Antwerp, a not too big but truly international city (after AMS the city with the most nationalities in the world) with tons of things to do and lots of nice areas to live.
[edit post]

KPWM

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:49 pm

I would love to live in Kihei, Hawaii. Every time I've visited there it was amazing. Also it would be cool to live in some middle eastern city for a year. Maybe Dubai, Cairo,or Doha.

NoUFO

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Click me: Farewell To A Borough (long Text + Pics) (by NoUFO Feb 15 2008 in Non Aviation)

Then Paris, S.F., Vienna. London perhaps.
Smaller cities: Freiburg, Brescia, Strasbourg.

I'm sure there are more.
I support the right to arm bears

kmh1956

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Given the chance, I'd move to New hampshire in a heartbeat. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, so it wouldn't be too much of a culture shock.
Second choicee would have to be Mikonos......possible one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and the food & hospitality is amazing.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

a380us

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:07 am

The moon!
But if it had to be on earth then Jerusalem, Melbourne, London, or Johanusburg or actually any main city.
www.JandACosmetics.com

sw733

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:17 am

While I've lived both in Namibia and the USA, and plan to spend the bulk of my life in Namibia, I'd say the place I could most see myself living in OUTSIDE OF those two would be Australia. I love the people, lifestyle, and just about everything. What a great place.

pawsleykat

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:17 am

Favourite Place in the world?
That would have to be Edinburgh,
nothing like a pice of home

Edinburgh - Capital of the best small country in the world

Where would I like to live?
London, England;

So that I can be based at LHR if I get a job with BA
and obv because there's fabulous shops

like Harrods  Yeah sure

JG  Smile
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

seansasLCY

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:49 am

for me the best place to live would be Hong Kong- I love everything about HK, how friendly people are and just how well everything blends together. Otherwise I would say Copenhagen or Amsterdam. I don't really know why but just really enjoyed my time there and loved the atmosphere and the more liberal and tolerant attitude towards life they have.

Confuscius

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:26 am

Hayward, CA. It's located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay area and only minutes away from Oakland, San Francisco and San Jose. It's an all american city with a state college, a bedroom community comprising of subdivisions, condos and trailer homes, and plenty of industrial businesses such as auto auction, salvage yards and chop shops. Also, there's a large immigrant population readily available for day employment.
Ain't I a stinker?

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 23):
Hayward, CA. It's located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay area and only minutes away from Oakland, San Francisco and San Jose. It's an all american city with a state college, a bedroom community comprising of subdivisions, condos and trailer homes, and plenty of industrial businesses such as auto auction, salvage yards and chop shops. Also, there's a large immigrant population readily available for day employment.

Sounds nice.

threefourthree

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:56 am

Sydney comes in first, I just love the whole place, people are friendly, weather is nice, not too cold but can get a bit hot.
Second would be Singapore, i visited there last year and I just loved it, no grafitti, great stuff to buy, the laws, just the weather is the one that gets to me, but I still love it, espically Orchard Road.

9VSRH

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am

that is a really hard one!

I would have to say....Hong Kong, Paris, Sydney or Melbourne.

halls120

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:45 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 6):
Given my idea place in the United States its the San Francisco Bay Area or San Diego Area..

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Reply 24):
Quoting Confuscius (Reply 23):

Sounds nice.

Actually, Hayward is one of the most boring places in the entire Bay Area. Just my opinion, of course.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:06 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):

Actually, Hayward is one of the most boring places in the entire Bay Area. Just my opinion, of course.

I was of course being sarcastic. I think he on purposely described it that way because maybe he read other posts on how I don't like things about tract housing and what not.

Confuscius

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 am

Actually, Hayward is one of the most boring places in the entire Bay Area.

Boring? Hayward is not, Atherton and Woodside are. Hayward is a multicultural city with social clubs aligning themselves along racial groups and demarcating their territory through public art on walls.
Ain't I a stinker?

IADCA

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:50 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 29):
Hayward is not, Atherton and Woodside are. Hayward is a multicultural city with social clubs aligning themselves along racial groups and demarcating their territory through public art on walls.

Sounds like paradise. You might also want to try Hazleton, PA; dreary, dead ex-coal mining town in a charmingly gray mountainous and frequently snowy area, allowing you to sled down the slag heaps surrounding the city.

Mine are one, the Paris metropolitan area. Personally, Paris is the greatest city in the world and many of the suburbs I could easily see myself living in.

I think you might also like Geneva, although the truly modern architecture might be a little lacking for your tastes. It's certainly a very cosmopolitan, international place and the natural beauty is truly stunning, and it's quite dense but also has lots of usable open space. It's a great place to see the evolution of European urban architecture up until about the 1930s. And I'm not being sarcastic, so don't assume that given our previous disagreements. I think you'd genuinely like the place.

captaink

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:05 am

IN the US, my second home New York City. In fact I find it hard to find a comparable city anywhere else. In Mexico, I like Guadalajara, Aguascalientes (where I currently am based) and to some extent Mexico City.

Other cities, in which I can live, Toronto (fantastic city, but a bit too cold), Miami (great place, bit too hot) but I can do it quite easily.

Then I can also make Philadelphia and Washington DC area work.
There is something special about planes....

paneuropean

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:08 am

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Reply 13):
Well, although I have not been to the Randstad, I have spent much time looking at pictures of the three big cities and looking at real estate and dining guides. I mean, statistics wise, the Netherlands is one of the most open, free, economically friendly places in the world. The use the Euro and are part of the Schengen and that really appeals to me. However, although English is widely spoken, it is not official so I would rather move to a place where the language is more useful elsewhere and not as hard to learn when English is spoken. I just love the architecture and planning of the Randstad. Although there are industrial parks, for the most part, the towns, cities, roads, highways are all nice. It feels very urban and populated without feeling suburban, qualities which I like. So, I mean, could you explain why it is getting so much worse? Is it just immigration or is it just the overall mentality?

Well, that just leaves Britain and Ireland (and Malta) to go to....I think Plane Holland is being quite pessimistic as there are many places in the Randstad where living is very good. I live in Arnhem, outside the Randstad. This area is less urban and has better nature surroundings. However, if you want to live in a city, I do think that the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague area is very livable, so to say.

Real estate however is quite expensive. Don't expect to much under 500.00 euro's . Also realise that the Dutch weather can be very depressing now and then. The overall mentality is ok, but not too good. Personally I think the mentality in the States is much better than in Holland.

If I had the money and the choice to live in a European city. I would choose Barcelona and probably Hamburg and some more over Amsterdam.

RobertNL070

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:36 am

I love the Dutch townhouses and apartments located in cities like Rotterdam and The Hague.

Like my canal front town house in The Hague?  Smile

Well, I live there and trust me, I'm seriously busy trying to find ways to emigrate.

Why? Steenwijk is hardly the Randstad.

Quality of life is going down here.

Not in my experience.

Quoting Paneuropean (Reply 32):
Don't expect to much under 500.00 euro's

You can still buy a very nice apartment for € 300,000 in The Hague.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

ABQ747

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:10 pm

I may think El Paso is a dump (and it is)

checkmark 

but the food there is awesome!

no  ABQ has much better food. Big grin
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

comorin

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:13 pm

I love NY - it's a vibrant city with a big heart. If only we could get Guiliani back for a few months to get the doggy poop off the sidewalks, it'd be perfect. You can get away to the Hamptons in the summer, amazing light, beaches and wineries.

If there be Heaven on Earth: It is this, it is this, it is this.

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 33):
Like my canal front town house in The Hague? Smile

Yes, that is perfect! I could spend hours just looking at pictures of the Hague on flickr. There is this one pictue on nl.wikipedia.com of The Hague which makes me want to move there this second.
Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 116kb

Also, I just love all of the architecture in the Netherlands, new or old.
Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 683 File size: 661kb

And, if any urban environment looks this nice when it is snowing (I love the snow), then I definately want to move there.
Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 768 File size: 419kb

Why? Steenwijk is hardly the Randstad.

I know what Steenwijk looks like and I am familiar with it on the large scale, and yeah, it doesn't really float my boat. I would much rather live within the Randstad.

Don't expect to much under 500.00 euro's

You can still buy a very nice apartment for € 300,000 in The Hague.

Yeah, I look at realty quite often in Europe especially in the Netherlands, and I have found quite a few reasonably priced apartments and houses in The Hague. I mean, The Hague is a very nice and elegant area so it is going to be pricy. And, for what I am looking for, the quality of life seems great and trust me, again for what I am looking for, the mentality will be better than what I am used to in the states.

Oh and also, what I love is that it is not just some areas where the apartments and houses are of my liking, like 85% of the places I have looked at in the Netherlands I love and the architecture is just so great. I have not found an ugly building within The Hague or even Rotterdam, a city which people rat about sometimes. I just think the architects in the NL have applied great principles to how they construct new or old.

singaporegirl

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 15):
I think that for many people in the second or third world countries it is indeed a real dream to go to countries where its better and for those people it usually turns out to be true but even then they suffer from homesickness and severe adjusting problems.
For us first worldners (is that even a word?) it is hard to appreciate the things we have until we part from them, only then we start appreciating our home countries better and we start truly understanding how good it really is.

in a way yes. my (new yorker/american) husband and i now reside in the beautiful island of bali. i was born and raised in singapore (which is a totally developed country by the way! lol), and yes there are things that i really like about singapore. it's very clean, ultra efficient, modern, etc. but like most people living in a developed country, i felt like i was trapped in a rat race. i spent most of my time working and when im not flying, i'd be too tired to do anything else. and oh, back in singapore it felt as if the bills are never ending. they simply kept on coming! lol.

there's an old chinese saying: it's better to be a head of a small snake than to be a tail of a great dragon. i felt that in singapore, i was just like everyone else. i was literally the tail of a dragon (in this case that would be singapore). and here in bali, my quality of life improved tremendously. i feel as if i am now the head of a snake. with all the money that my husband and i made and invested, we now have a 3 bedroom (all with en suite, and all have outdoor showers!) beach villa (with an infinity pool of course), 2 full time maids that work for us, 1 full time driver, a part time gardener/pool guy. in singapore we have to be a billionaire (literally) to be able to live like king/queen the way we do here in bali. in the morning my husband and i would have breakfast together by the ocean and we'd walk the dog on the beach for a little while. we do our own things in the afternoon and in the evening we'd meet up with some friends at the numerous outstanding restaurants that bali now has (a lot of expats chefs opened excellent eateries throughout the island). and the best part about living in bali is that the quality of my marriage improved tremendously. back in singapore, we quarreled a lot, it could be for a number of reasons (usually money lol) and now we are much more relaxed, romantic and we became much, much more intimate with each other (yeah baby! lol).

and apparently we're not the only people from the "first world" who are doing this. thousands among thousands of foreigner/expatriates live full time in bali. some people asked, aren't u afraid of terrorism? well the thing is do people that live in new york, london, madrid, etc are afraid of terrorism? sure we have to be vigilant nowadays. but that's just fact of life in the 21st century. am i scared? hell no. that's not how i want to live my life. and yes there are things that i miss from singapore. mostly it would be the efficiency of the whole country. but other than that i have a MUCH better life here in bali.
Ladies & Gentlemen, we will now demonstrate the use of the safety equipment on this aircraft...

CanadianNorth

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Have to say Whitehorse does it for me. I love travelling to different places, and never get tired of seeing new cities. But as far as living, I loved it up in Whitehorse.

Basically it came down to this: I walk out my back door, and it was literally hop on the bike or in the car and go 10 or 15 minutes that way I have plenty of stores and restaurants and schools and an international airport and all that stuff just like the big city; or hop on my bike or snowmobile and go 10 or 15 minutes the other way and I'm sitting by a nice little lake out in the bush with nobody around but the wildlife.
In the winter theres plenty of beyond amazingly beautiful places to go snowmobiling or dog sledding or skiing or ice fishing and whatnot during the day, and some great aurora borealis at night, and in the summer it's almost 24 hours of daylight to enjoy some great biking trails and camping spots and all that good stuff. And of course, all of the above is within minutes of your back door...

So yeah, basically I had all the conveniences of a big city 15 minutes that way, and the mostly untouched wilderness 15 minutes the other way. (Not 15 minutes of screaming down a big freeway, that's 15 minutes of putting along on a bike or a snowmobile or something) And with the population of around 23,000, it was just big enough to have lots of services, but still small enough that you can find a familiar face almost anywhere.

CanadianNorth
Way to go, nice and slow, never late, 748!

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 38):

Whitehorse love it! Hey, whatever makes you happy. It must be beautiful up there. Hey, atleast you have that one main street and you can fly Condor to FRA! Of the pics and time I have spent over the years learning about Whitehorse, it seems nice. A tad isolated for me though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...itehorse%2C_Yukon%2C_July_1990.jpg

Here is an aerial pic of Whitehorse, It looks so weird which the airport right next to the town.

[Edited 2008-02-17 11:03:16]

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Let's see: country:
United States, hands down.
Where in the US:
Pretty happy in Greensboro, NC at the moment when I'm up here and not down in Florida at ERAU. Area has many of the pluses of major cities without being an overly huge, congested city.

Other ares I would like to live:
San Anotnio, Texas. Once you get past the fact that the construction will never end, it's a pretty nice place with a lot to do, excellent restaurants and entertainment, and a very pro-military town.

Northern Ohio: Main reason: Cedar Point. I would live with an hour or two drive of Cedar Point and go every chance I got. I'll probably be stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB at some point in my career, which is about 3 hours or so. Plus I could go down to Cincinnati to watch my Bengals during football season.

Denver, Colorado: Well, it's Denver. Major city with all the major sports. Excellent recreation in and out of the city, with skiing and white-water rafting just west. Colorado Springs is just an hour away. In fact, I'm looking to retire to this part of the country when I reach that age.

I could handle living in Washington, D.C. if I lived within walking distance to a Metro Train Station. Otherwise that town would be hell. But excellent restaurants within the Beltway. I always enjoy visiting and walking around the District. I love sitting out on the Potomac and watching the traffic going into DCA. Don't want to live there forever though.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AA7295

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Sydney, Australia, by far.

I just came back from Sydney last week. It is a beautiful city!!! However, the people who live there are by far the rudest people I have ever met in all my travels. I also think that now is the best time for Sydney. I was reading the Sunday Telegraph there last Sunday and it said crime is in double digit growth in areas like Bankstown. People are so rude that when me and my girlfriend were in line for the Bus, we randomly struck a conversation with another man and his friend. After telling where we were from, he murmured to his friend "See, from another state, they're much nicer".

Melbourne still has crime issues but the people and culture are amazing. Brisbane is definetely the place to be in Australia to raise a family.

The best place in the world for me to live in would be San Francisco or New York. While I would like to mention a place in Europe, I cannot speak a language other than English, so that would living rather difficult, and I'm not a fan of London.

Superfly

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:43 am

I am happy living in San Francisco. It is a great city but I also love it here in Bangkok, Thailand.
The weather here in Bangkok sucks but the people are wonderful, the food is great, gorgeous women, a bit on the crazy side and perfect blend of ancient history and new expansion in infrastructure.
My hometown of Chicago is great too. I like old cities with lots of history. Ideally I'd like 4-seasons. I think Minneapolis has the best weather. I do miss the snow during winter.
Perhaps I need to visit Ulaan Bator, Mongolia. An old Asian city with 4-seasons.
Bring back the Concorde

StuckInCA

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:56 am

Sounds nice

It's not.

Actually, Hayward is one of the most boring places in the entire Bay Area

Yep. I can't think of a good thing to say aobout Hayward. If it were't "close" to San Francisco, it would have nothing good going for it unless you were comparing it to places that were more dangerous.

allstarflyer

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:04 am

The U.S. is still the best country, and the best place in the world to live is the place you can afford - just ask anyone who bought too much and had their home foreclosed.  crazy 

But if there's an ideal place, I'm partial to SoCal, between L.A. and S.D., right around Carlsbad - rural feel for a place by the ocean between 2 cities I've enjoyed visiting.
Living the American Dream

AFKLMLHLX
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:39 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 43):

Sounds nice

It's not.

Actually, Hayward is one of the most boring places in the entire Bay Area

Yep. I can't think of a good thing to say aobout Hayward. If it were't "close" to San Francisco, it would have nothing good going for it unless you were comparing it to places that were more dangerous.

As I said, I was being purely sarcastic. It sounds horrible. If you have ever read my feelings on most places in America in general, Hayward would be the epitome of an American wasteland.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 44):
The U.S. is still the best country, and the best place in the world to live is the place you can afford - just ask anyone who bought too much and had their home foreclosed.

Hmm...have to disagree on that one. I just watched a 60 minute piece on how Denmark is the happiest country in the world (cowincidentally today I just read the report on global happiness by the Happy Planet Index). And the US is ranked 150th, and basically a group of Danish students and residents all talked about why Denmark is so happy and the US is lagging (in that aspect).

767Lover

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:01 am

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Reply 45):
Hmm...have to disagree on that one. I just watched a 60 minute piece on how Denmark is the happiest country in the world (cowincidentally today I just read the report on global happiness by the Happy Planet Index). And the US is ranked 150th, and basically a group of Danish students and residents all talked about why Denmark is so happy and the US is lagging (in that aspect).

Yeah, I saw that too. What you didn't mention is that the reason the Danish said they are happy is because they generally don't have high expectations for anything in life.

(And they probably don't have a thousand media outlets telling them how unhappy they should be about this and that all the time.)

halls120

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:11 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 29):
Hayward is a multicultural city with social clubs aligning themselves along racial groups and demarcating their territory through public art on walls.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

you got that right!

scrubbsywg

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 am

i'd like to hit up western europe and live there some time. I can get dual citizenship with the UK through my father, so i might do that someday and go work somewhere in europe. I lived in a small city in france for a few months and absolutely love the country.

YVRLTN

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:44 am

Vancouver!! I moved here from London and I never want to go back. The rain gets a bit monotonous through the winter, but when its perfectly clear & sunny like today, its amazing with the snow capped mountains as a permanent backdrop wherever you are. The ocean and rivers glisten blue, lovely beaches for the nice summer weather, fantastic scenery within a pretty short drive, great people & culture, such an outdoors kinda place even if its raining, I love Canadians & BC.

For all of you thinking of London, its a great city for a tourist, or nights out, but its very expensive, and commuting is awful. I lived in north London about 6 miles from work (2 mins east of Tower Bridge), it took 55 minutes if no problems - which was twice a week if you were lucky.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR