1337Delta764
Topic Author

Death Of AMPS/TDMA Cell Phone Networks In The U.S.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 pm

Tomorrow, the two largest mobile phone providers in the United States, AT&T and Verizon, will be shutting down their analog AMPS mobile network. This will free spectrum for newer digital standards, such as GSM/UMTS and CDMA. In addition, AT&T will also be shutting down their first digital network, D-AMPS, or TDMA. AT&T has actually already shut down all of their TDMA network on the 1900 MHz band, and will do the same tomorrow for the TDMA network on the 850 MHz band. The only exception to this is the network that AT&T has acquired from Dobson/Cellular One. The Dobson TDMA and AMPS networks will be shut down on March 1 to help integrate users still on a Celluar One TDMA/AMPS plan to migrate to AT&T's GSM network.

Well, it is the end of an era here. The analog TACS (European version of AMPS) standard used in most of mainland Europe has been shut down a while ago. In the Nordic Countries, there is still some remaining coverage of the analog NMT network.

[Edited 2008-02-17 16:01:06]
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

bagpiper

RE: Death Of AMPS/TDMA Cell Phone Networks In The U.S.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 am

So, now on to google to buy one of the spectrum and reform the way we use cell phones?

My, what exciting possibilities the future holds!

mia

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:16 am

Verizon will be moving to GSM within the next couple of years with the addition of a 4G network, finally integrating the United States to the Vodafone global network.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting MIA (Reply 2):
Verizon will be moving to GSM within the next couple of years with the addition of a 4G network, finally integrating the United States to the Vodafone global network.

Not exactly true. Verizon will be using LTE for their 4G network, as will AT&T. However, LTE and GSM are NOT exactly the same technology. LTE is just the natural evolution 4G path for GSM/UMTS carriers, which is where the confusion lies. UMB is the natural 4G standard for CDMA carriers, however, with Verizon going LTE and Sprint going WiMAX, the future for UMB is cloudy.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 1):
So, now on to google to buy one of the spectrum and reform the way we use cell phones?

Google is bidding on 700 MHz spectrun, while the networks being shut down are on 850 MHz spectrum. The existing 850 MHz spectrum will be used to improve on AT&T's/Verizon's current GSM/UMTS and CDMA networks as well as future 4G LTE.

[Edited 2008-02-17 16:39:21]
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky