sevenair

Where Can I See An Eee PC In Real Life?

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey - I was wondering - I really really want an eee Pc. But I am a little aprehensive about buying on online - most of the shops are on ebay, or shops I've never heard of. I passed my CPL first time last week - so I am treating myself. It's an Ipod or an eee Pc.

Now - here is the problem. It has a small screen, and a tiny keyboard. Does anyone know if a real life shop has them on display to look at. I'm in Vero Beach FL. Most of the sales assistants I've asked in wal-mart, bestbuy and a few retailers have not heard of it. Has anyone actually seen one in a shop?

I just want the base model - in green  Smile

Any advice would be much appreciated.

FriendlySkies

RE: Where Can I See An Eee PC In Real Life?

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 pm

I haven't seen one in a store, but someone in my physics lecture has one. It is a little bigger than a Nintendo DS (ok, maybe 1.5-2 times the size), has a very small keyboard, and looks really uncomfortable to look at. I have no idea why anyone would want one (especially since it's only useful for browsing the web or working on small documents).

I assume you did all your research and are set on it though. I don't know of many stores that sell Asus products, if the places you asked don't have it I doubt you'll find it in another store.

As much as I hate it...why not just get an iPhone? It fits in your pocket and has a phone built in...and the screen is only 0.5" smaller. Hell, it has more memory even!

sevenair

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. Well, I am hoping to be a flight instructor, so something that runs the entire Open Office package, and is small enough to be carried around, means I can update my e-logbook, run my student record database, and mess about on the internet at work, on their wifi, without them necessarily watching my every online move!

And also, if I ever get an airline job, I can stick it in my flight bag and connect to the web in the hotel.

I like the look of the Iphone - but it's too small. I will loose it within a week! There are other mini laptops out there - but the eee looks cool!

srbmod

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 am

Have you tried a local Best Buy location? I know I've seen one on display at the Best Buy nearest to me.

sevenair

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:41 am

Hey - yeah I tried Best Buy in Vero Beach. But perhaps I might pop in to another branch if I pass. Thanks for the tip Smile

signol

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 am

Have a look at this thread: Anbody Using An Asus EEE PC (by HT Jan 28 2008 in Non Aviation)

The newer version should be out end of March, with increased RAM and a bigger screen.

Quoting Sevenair (Thread starter):
I just want the base model - in green

I wasn't aware of there being a green one - only black or white. Unless you're thinking of the "$100 Laptop"  Smile

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

srbmod

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Quoting Signol (Reply 5):
I wasn't aware of there being a green one - only black or white. Unless you're thinking of the "$100 Laptop"

If you look on the Eee PC website, they now show them in a plethora of colors. Looks like colors is the new hip thing with laptops.