United Airline
Topic Author

Big Cruise Ships VS Small Cruise Ships

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:08 pm

I was on Oceania Insignia in January/February 2008 at Argentina, Uruguay, Falkland Islands and Chile. It was great apart from a few terrible waves and the ship rocked terribly.

I understand that all ships have stablizers. But will a big ship rock less than a small one? I mean will a big ship be more stable than a small/smaller one.

BR715-A1-30

RE: Big Cruise Ships VS Small Cruise Ships

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:12 pm

Well, think of it like this... Will you be more stable on a large cruiseliner, or a small fisherman's pleasurecraft?
Puhdiddle

Daleaholic

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
But will a big ship rock less than a small one? I mean will a big ship be more stable than a small/smaller one.

I'm no expert but... those waves which hit your cruise ship... imagine them hittin something smaller?  Wink

There's your answer. Bigger isn't always better, but in this case, I'd say it is! Big grin
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 pm

I thought a stablizer play a more important role. How does it work?

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:26 pm

You have two of the same thread running . . .

I'll post same info in both because eventually one will disappear . . .

http://www.passengershipsociety.com/cruiselinks.htm

Here is an excellent website for info on Cruise Ships . . .

I have found I prefer the mid-size or small ships. I've been cruising since I was 5 years old . . . Matson Lines Mariposa, Canadian National Princess Patricia (the original Princess Cruise),

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
I was on Oceania Insignia at Argentina, Uruguay, Falkland Islands, Chile earlier and the ship rocked quite a lot a few times.

An EXCELLENT choice . . . Insignia and her sisters - both with Oceania and Princess (Tahitian and Pacific Princess) - were from the former Renaissance Cruise Line. I used Renaissance before 9/11 (the casue fo their demise) for a couple of Med cruises. I enjoyed them because a) NO - I say it again - NO kids under 18 allowed and b) no real dress code c) nearly a 1:1 pax/crew ratio.

As for rough weather, well - entering the Med from the Atlantic thru the straits has always been a bit of a ride. No different on the R Class ships (Oceania) than on the Princess ship I was on. We got a fair bouncing.

Now, have a look at the photos of the QE2 and the QV on the link below (you'll need to scroll down about 2/3rds of the page). Tell me, does it appear size really mattered:

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnewspics.html
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Sorry for the double posting since the first post didn't appear at the first place and i thought it was lost.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
I have found I prefer the mid-size or small ships. I've been cruising since I was 5 years old . . . Matson Lines Mariposa, Canadian National Princess Patricia (the original Princess Cruise),

Exactly. I cruise a lot too. Mid size ships are the best since they have quite a lot of facilities and yet very exclusive. Large cruise ships make you feel as if you are in a large shopping mall.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
Now, have a look at the photos of the QE2 and the QV on the link below (you'll need to scroll down about 2/3rds of the page). Tell me, does it appear size really mattered:

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipn....html

Correct me if I am wrong but it SEEMS that QV is a bit more stable. Does it make any difference?

sw733

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:33 pm

It ain't the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean.

But yeah, in all reality, you would probably be more comfortable in a large boat than a small one.

kmh1956

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 5):
Mid size ships are the best since they have quite a lot of facilities and yet very exclusive.

Couldn't agree more. My daughter and I took a cruise around Greece, with our final stops being Dubrovnik and Venice. We sailed with MSC Cruises, on board the Armonia....FABULOUS!! Great food, excellent service, cabin was spacious and comfortable....and it was reasonable too!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AirCop

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 5):
Exactly. I cruise a lot too. Mid size ships are the best since they have quite a lot of facilities and yet very exclusive.

checkmark  If you want to try something really special, try a Star Clipper or a Windstar..  champagne 

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 pm

So it's more stable in a large ship than a small one even in a large wave. Cool!

Quoting AirCop (Reply 8):
If you want to try something really special, try a Star Clipper or a Windstar

Will do.

But I like QM2 a lot