ManuCH
Crew
Topic Author

Coffee With Colleague Lands Woman In Trouble

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Fair use excerpt:

Quote:

RIYADH, 5 February 2008 --- A Saudi mother of three, who works as a business partner and financial consultant for a reputable company in Jeddah, didn't expect that a trip to the capital to open the company's new branch office would have her thrown behind bars by the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.

Yara, a petite 40-year-old woman, was in tears yesterday after she narrated to Arab News her encounter with a commission member that ended in high drama.

Yara, who has been married for 27 years, said she spent several hours in the women's section of Riyadh's Malaz Prison, was strip-searched, ordered to sign a confession that she was in a state of "khulwa" (a state of seclusion with an unrelated man) and for hours prevented from contacting her husband in Jeddah.

Her crime? Having a cup of coffee with a colleague in a Starbucks.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1§ion=0&article=106499

What do you think? I didn't know they had a "religious police" working by itself in Saudi Arabia, and that it was actually allowed for work colleagues to have a coffee together (and that it was the husband who had to call the police if he thought his wife was acting "inappropriately" according to their standards - not that it was being prosecuted "by default").

Anyone who is knowledgeable of these issues who wants to shed some light?

Please keep it civil ...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

airfoilsguy

RE: Coffee With Colleague Lands Woman In Trouble

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:17 pm

This was posted before.  Smile
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

aloges

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm

Quote:
Yara, a petite 40-year-old woman (...) who has been married for 27 years

Is that a mistake or am I rightfully not surprised?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

sunshine79

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:27 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 2):
Is that a mistake or am I rightfully not surprised?

I had to work it out to make sure I'd worked it out right. A 13 year old geting married is quite old there though, isn't it?
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

N1120A

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Thread starter):

What do you think? I didn't know they had a "religious police" working by itself in Saudi Arabia

They do and it is quite official. Unfortunate that they are treated like such strong allies of the US.

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 3):
A 13 year old geting married is quite old there though, isn't it?

Not old
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

oly720man

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

You thought that was bad?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1874471.stm

Saudi Arabia's religious police stopped schoolgirls from leaving a blazing building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress, according to Saudi newspapers.

In a rare criticism of the kingdom's powerful "mutaween" police, the Saudi media has accused them of hindering attempts to save 15 girls who died in the fire on Monday.

Pretty f*cked up organisation to put religious sensibilties ahead of life itself.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

NWADC9

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:11 am

Can we get a Bomb One, Get One offer? We'll play with the insane Korean and mess with the veil police. This is ridiculous. AND WE'RE ALLIES WITH THEM!?!? Good grief! Let's add some dictatorships, while we're at it!
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

ManuCH
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
This was posted before.

Honest, I didn't find it, and I invested 5 minutes to search for it  Smile
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

jm017

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 6):
This is ridiculous. AND WE'RE ALLIES WITH THEM!?!? Good grief! Let's add some dictatorships, while we're at it!

Actually they have. Frequently, in fact. I think the expression is nations have interests. What boggles my mind is how worked up US politicians get about Cuba but are okay with official relations with: China, Saudi Arabia, to name two examples.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

n229nw

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:44 am

Well, if you ask me, she got off lightly.

For a crime like hers she should have been punished more harshly, first by being raped by each of the high court judges in turn and then together, and then stoned to death. After being stoned to death she should have been burned at the stake twice, once for inciting the high court judges to rape, and the second time for having sex out of wedlock (with the high court judges).

After being burned at the stake, she should have been lashed 200 times for causing a public nuisance by smelling bad when being burned at the stake, and 200 more times for being alone with the (male) executioner when she was first being lit on fire.

[Edited 2008-02-23 19:49:01]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

NorthstarBoy

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:20 am

Whenever i read stories like this, i can't help but wonder why we don't send in the marines to topple the saudi royal family and drag saudi arabia out of the 13th century, where it seems to have become stuck and into the 21st century. no country that calls itself enlightened or civilized should have a "religious police" force with the authority to throw people in jail because they're not being pious enough, or not respecting a backwards, outdated, set of morals and values written in the 7th century. When i hear the mindless rants of the religious right, i always like to say "get over it, it's not 1953 anymore" in this case i'd say to Saudi Arabia, "get over it, it's not 653 any more."
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

MD11Engineer

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 10):
Whenever i read stories like this, i can't help but wonder why we don't send in the marines to topple the saudi royal family and drag saudi arabia out of the 13th century, where it seems to have become stuck and into the 21st century. no country that calls itself enlightened or civilized should have a "religious police" force with the authority to throw people in jail because they're not being pious enough, or not respecting a backwards, outdated, set of morals and values written in the 7th century. When i hear the mindless rants of the religious right, i always like to say "get over it, it's not 1953 anymore" in this case i'd say to Saudi Arabia, "get over it, it's not 653 any more."

It is not so much the Saudi royal family which upholds the rigid laws, but the feudal tribal leaders and the population of the Saudi hinterland (as opposed to the population of the coastal towns, which are more liberal). The royal family is split into a reformist wing and a conservative wing, the current king belongs to the reformist wing.
The king only rules with the approval of these tribal leaders and cannot offend them too much. They, on the other hand, believe in their god-given right to rule over their tribes (sounds like medieval Europe?) and fear democratic reforms, which certainly will remove their absolutist rule.
The leading members of the royal family realised long ago that Saudi Arabia will have to modernise to survive the end of the oil, but they have to do so in small steps as not to upset the stoneage tribal chiefs (who e.g. are the ones tolerating the likes of Al Qaeda).

BTW it took us in Europe about several hundred years and lots of bloody fights to seperate religion from government.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

oly720man

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:43 pm

And to show it works both ways....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7260314.stm

Prosecutors in Saudi Arabia have begun investigating 57 young men who were arrested on Thursday for flirting with girls at shopping centres in Mecca.

The men are accused of wearing indecent clothes, playing loud music and dancing in order to attract the attention of girls, the Saudi Gazette reported.

They were arrested following a request of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

Sounds like a weekend afternoon at any shopping centre anywhere (in the real world)
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Can I get "Saudi Arabia is stuck in the **BLANK** Ages" for $200 Alex?

What is Middle?