jetjack74

Ralph Nader Will Run Again

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Another comical run for the WH by consumer advocate Ralph Nader. He's blamed by many to have siphoned off voters from Al Gore in the 2000 election.
http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/...ress-amid-talk-of-white-house-bid/
Made from jets!

halls120

RE: Ralph Nader Will Run Again

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Another comical run for the WH by consumer advocate Ralph Nader. He's blamed by many to have siphoned off voters from Al Gore in the 2000 election.

Jeez, not this **** again.

Anybody who casts a vote for Ralph Nader should seriously consider their motive in doing so. What a waste of the franchise.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 1):
Anybody who casts a vote for Ralph Nader should seriously consider their motive in doing so

Or see a shrink . . .

I'm all for voting for whomever you think is the 'best candidate', however . . . there are just people that will never get it, Nader (and those voting for him) fit said category.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NWADC9

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:11 pm

He just doesn't give up, does he...  Yeah sure
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

jetjack74

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:13 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 3):
He just doesn't give up, does he...

At least Kucinich knows when his goose is cooked.
Made from jets!

AirCop

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Since as of right now, no other news outlet is talking about a Nader run, perhaps he is going to appear on the show to discuss ethics in politics.  crazy 

jm017

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:04 am

Nader's belief in the importance of his crusade borders on delusional. What an arrogant moron!
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

seb146

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:37 am

Oh, joy.... at least four more years of Republican rule. I can hardly wait.... /sarcasm
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

airtran737

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks for the help Ralph

Signed,

John McCain and my fellow Republicans
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

jm017

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 8):
Thanks for the help Ralph

Signed,

John McCain and my fellow Republicans

Hey!! Ralph really has a shot!!!  sarcastic 

Personally, i think Ralphie is a closet Republican.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

L-188

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:07 pm

I don't think Nader is going to have the impact he had in 2K but any votes he can pull from Obama would be in the words of Martha Stewart, "A good thing"
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mir

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 4):
At least Kucinich knows when his goose is cooked.

It is Nader, and non-meat goose takes a lot longer to cook.  Yeah sure

At least he won't be sentencing us to Bush like he did in 2000.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

RJdxer

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Where the hell is Ross Perot when you need him?
Signed,
The DNC
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 12):
Signed,
The DNC

What's that? Why does the DNC want Perot? The front-runner for the Dems is, right now, ahead of the front-runner for the GOP. If anyone should be looking for a spoiler, it's the GOP, not the DNC.

Once again, L-188 shows how removed from reality he is.
Work Right, Fly Hard

L-188

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Why does the DNC want Perot?

Because Mr. Elephant ear is the reason Bill Clinton won in 1992.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RJdxer

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
What's that? Why does the DNC want Perot?

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
He's blamed by many to have siphoned off voters from Al Gore in the 2000 election.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):

And there's your answer.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

diamond

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):

Oh, yeah. That was the reason.
Blank.

RJdxer

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 16):
Oh, yeah. That was the reason.

Do the math.

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?f=0&year=1992

Vctony

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:13 am

I'll vote for him. Living in Arizona my vote is meaningless (McCain will win the state). I might as well "vote my conscience."

RJdxer

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:48 pm

Well it's now official.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23319781/

WASHINGTON - Ralph Nader is launching a third-party campaign for president.

The consumer advocate made the announcement Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." He says most Americans are disenchanted with the Democratic and Republican parties, and that none of the presidential contenders are addressing ways to stem corporate crime and Pentagon waste and promote labor rights.

Now all we have to do is convince H. Ross Perot to step into the fray! Common Ross, you can do it one more time!!!!!

A332

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Tsk.. what a waste of time. Hopefully voters are wiser and vote for change... ie: not the Repugs.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

diamond

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 17):
Do the math.

Isn't it true that independent candidates usually siphon votes away from the Democrats? Are you saying that Perot's 19,743,821 votes all came from former Bush supporters? A stronger Bush Presidency and campaign would have prevented the loss of votes to Perot, wouldn't it?

(Serious question - as this was before my time.)

Cool website, btw. I love data.  Smile
Blank.

Pope

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 21):
Isn't it true that independent candidates usually siphon votes away from the Democrats?

Ross wasn't your typical independent candidate. He was an extremely successful business person who had personally financed a rescue of his employees when they were stuck behind enemy lines in Iran. He was for fiscal restraint in a period following Reagan's deficit spending and Bush's betrayal on his no new taxes pledge.

While nobody can say for sure, it is widely believed that Perot's presence in the 1992 election fractured the GOP base of fiscal conservatives and drew some middle of the road moderates and that was a major factor in Clinton's first victory.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

sw733

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:27 pm

As a McCain supporter...this works fine with me  Wink

D L X

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Nader -- just have to shake my head. WTF? At least McCain will be able to say he's not the oldest man running for president anymore.

I would suspect at this point that the Nader campaign will get a LOT of money from Republican contributions. Think about it! individuals are maxed out at $2300, but they can each give an additional $2300 to a second candidate, if I'm not mistaken.

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
While nobody can say for sure, it is widely believed that Perot's presence in the 1992 election fractured the GOP base of fiscal conservatives and drew some middle of the road moderates and that was a major factor in Clinton's first victory.

Widely?

An awful lot of people who normally vote for democrats voted for Perot.

agill

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Fantastic how many people there are who belive that all votes belong to either GOP or the Democrats. Much better in Cuba where there's no risk that people vote for the wrong party...

RJdxer

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Isn't it true that independent candidates usually siphon votes away from the Democrats? Are you saying that Perot's 19,743,821 votes all came from former Bush supporters? A stronger Bush Presidency and campaign would have prevented the loss of votes to Perot, wouldn't it?

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
He was for fiscal restraint in a period following Reagan's deficit spending and Bush's betrayal on his no new taxes pledge.

checkmark  Although I think he drew more from fiscal conservatives and libertarians than he did middle of the road types. I voted for him simply beause Bush 41 had already shown he would raise taxes so he would probably do it again, and Clinton was gauranteed to raise our taxes no matter what he was saying on the campaign trail. I am faced with much of the same dilema in this election cycle.

Quoting D L X (Reply 24):
An awful lot of people who normally vote for democrats voted for Perot

I would question what "an awful lot" really was. Most democrats that I know couldn't wait to vote for President Clinton because much as his son, Bush 41 was being cast as a bumbling boob who had no connection to the real world.

casinterest

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Nader, is consumer oriented, and I don't think he strikes me as a person capable of leading this country in international relations, or domestic security.

He has valid points, on government fiscal responsibilty and the state of the Republican and Democratic parties. However he is so anti corporation, that i fear he is fundamentally against capitalism. He will have much less impact this year than he did in 2000.

I am all for other candiates to enter the race, but they need to do it with a powerful message and point of view. Much like what Ross Perot did in 2000. Perhaps Bloomberg or some other will throw their hat in the ring.

For now, I still haven't chosen a candiate, as I think all of them will raise taxes, screw with healthcare, majorly screw up the illegal immigration issue, and keep as stuck in Iraq,
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

ltbewr

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 am

Let us hope that in many states he cannot get on the ballot. Problem is that he probably will and could screw up the Democrats, drawing those on the left most fringes in close states like in Florida in 2000, and cause McCain to win .
The fact is that Sens. McCain, Obama and Clinton are all too deeply tied to the major Corporations in American as well as the richest 1% and are running this country for their short term gains, with their lobbyists, their campaign contributions and access to them and their colleagues, destroying the working middle class as well as the poor classes in our society. I think he expresses a deeper anger in the USA toward our politicians, their terrible decisions and a need for progressive reforms in the USA including better control of trade, greater control of business, greater rights to employees as to their employers, progressive taxation including heavier taxes on the rich, guaranteed affordable health care and so on.
He doesn't have a chance, but if he screws up 2008 and McCain wins, he will go down as one of the worst Americans in history.

Klima

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:11 am

I think he will have no impact on the outcome of the '08 election, same as in the '04 race. Plus, I think a lot of democrats feel they actually have a candidate they are excited to vote for, instead of merely voting against someone.

LH423

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 17):
Do the math.

Also, depending on the composition of the voter base, it might not have made much of a difference since the spread of the votes could have been spread out as to not the change the electoral votes or simply given Bush Sr a stronger position in the states he had already won. I guess we could sit around all day looking at hypotheticals.

Quoting Vctony (Reply 18):
I might as well "vote my conscience."

Same here. Obama (or Clinton...who knows) will take Massachusetts. Foregone conclusion. So, if Nader sticks it out, I'll cast my ballot for him.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ConcordeBoy

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:20 pm

(Serious question - as this was before my time.)

What you talking about cheri-- you're ten thousand years older than sand!  Wink

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 26):
raise our taxes

It's as amusing as it is ironic that the "s/he'll raise taxes" mantra-mouthing types, tend to actually be about the furthest thing from "fiscal conservatives" that a capitalist can be:
they'd rather have a maniac who gives budget-shattering tax-cuts, FINANCED BY BORROWING, to tax brackets they don't even qualify for...

...than have someone who returns taxes to levels that more or less match progressed inflation, and spare future generations the massive cost that REPAYING SAID CREDIT will invoke.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 28):
Let us hope that in many states he cannot get on the ballot.

....*tisk tisk tisk*
Now that's not very democrat(ic) of you now is it?  no 
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

RJdxer

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 31):
It's as amusing as it is ironic that the "s/he'll raise taxes" mantra-mouthing types, tend to actually be about the furthest thing from "fiscal conservatives" that a capitalist can be:

Yes they are. Fortunately I've been consistent in calling for spending cuts my entire adult life as well as getting control over out of control entitlement spending. A shame this President didn't do either. In that he ranks no different than any other.

steeler83

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 1):
Anybody who casts a vote for Ralph Nader should seriously consider their motive in doing so. What a waste of the franchise.

Hey, I think he's better than either the Democrats and Republicans IMO! Hillary Clinton is scary as hell, and I don't trust Obama. McCain I have some serious doubts about.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 12):
Signed,
The DNC

Now THIS guy would have my vote in a heartbeat! There is no GOP or Democrat worth voting for anymore! They're all wacko. I still think Ron Paul is the most sane, but he has no shot in hell, and I don't think anyone gives a rats ass about him anyway...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.