Rj111

Arsenal Footballer De Silva All But Loses Foot

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Arsenal footballer Eduardo de Silva footballer has been rushed to hospital after receiveing a horrific challenge from Martin Taylor of Birmingham City who was immediately sent of.

From the photos i've seen his foot was virtually ripped off. The players and physios looked disturbed as they saw the damage.

This photo is the point of impact which gives you and idea of what occurred as the challenge went through. It's not yet graphic but the implications are quite horrific, so view with caution.

These days he may well recover and play again, but the physical and mental impact of the event mean he may never be the prospering player he could have been.

Really hoping for the best for the guy.

BBC report

[Edited 2008-02-23 06:29:43]

CXfirst

RE: Arsenal Footballer De Silva All But Loses Foot

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:36 pm

i posted something about this as well, but u put in more info.

Here's the photo i put, it really looks horrible.

http://kingmeng.liquidblade.com/?p=570

-CXfirst

David L

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Thinking back to Dave Busst's injury, the most crucial aspect seems to have been infection from the ground rather than the actual injury. Fingers crossed.

BlueElephant

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Wow..that looks really painful...pretty disturbing actually...

I really hope he's ok...
hoping that he actually gets to play football again.

diesel1

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Terrible injury.

Although I've only seen the pictures and and what is described on the news, when a player makes a challenge like this, is there a case for investigation and possible prosecution?
I don't like signatures...

moo

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 4):
Although I've only seen the pictures and and what is described on the news, when a player makes a challenge like this, is there a case for investigation and possible prosecution?

Yes, investigations can be carried out by the police and charges can be brought against the challenging player - just because it happens on the pitch doesn't mean standard laws don't apply.

scbriml

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:02 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Thread starter):

He has a broken leg, yes? He's not the first, and won't be the last. At what point did he nearly lose his foot?

Quoting RJ111 (Thread starter):
is there a case for investigation and possible prosecution?

Won't happen. Roy Keane wasn't prosecuted for his horror challenge on Alf Inge Haaland, even after admitting in his book that it was deliberate.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

aviationmaster

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Horrible injury, about as bad as they can come - this injury brings back memories of Cissé's terrible injuries.  covereyes 

Here's to a full recovery!  pray 

CXfirst

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 5):
Yes, investigations can be carried out by the police and charges can be brought against the challenging player - just because it happens on the pitch doesn't mean standard laws don't apply.

It did not seem deliberate, so I wouldn't think charges would be brought against Taylor. I can almost guarantee that Taylor will go visit Eduardo in hospital.

This is the worst photo I could find

Big version: Width: 449 Height: 280 File size: 44kb

I heard from someone, don't know where their source is, that the hospital is predicting about 13% chance of him playing football again.

-CXfirst

Rj111

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 6):
He has a broken leg, yes? He's not the first, and won't be the last. At what point did he nearly lose his foot?

I won't post the photo i've seen which is different to the one above - the man deserves more dignity. But his his foot is barely on his leg. It's quite shocking to see. Just my immediate reaction to seeing it.

scbriml

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 9):
I won't post the photo i've seen which is different to the one above - the man deserves more dignity. But his his foot is barely on his leg. It's quite shocking to see. Just my immediate reaction to seeing it.

I understand, and a clean double-break of the lower leg will basically leave the foot just flopping around, which, when you're not used to seeing it, is a vomit-worthy sight.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 8):
I heard from someone, don't know where their source is, that the hospital is predicting about 13% chance of him playing football again.

Frankly, I'd be very surprised if anyone at the hospital would be making a public prognosis so soon (especially if it is as bad as that).
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:41 pm

It was a horrific injury, i haven't seen an Arsenal player suffer an injury that serious for a long time. The tackle was terrible, he had his studs raised meaning an instant red card. At first glance i didn't realise the injury was that serious, only when Andy Gray mentioned they weren't going to show any replays that i realised.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 10):
I understand, and a clean double-break of the lower leg will basically leave the foot just flopping around, which, when you're not used to seeing it, is a vomit-worthy sight.

Let's not get technical, this is a career-threatening injury whichever way you look at it, Eduardo's leg was basically snapped in two. Djibrill Cisse, Alan Smith and Henrik Larsson all made full recoveries from similar injuries, let's hope Eduardo does the same but's early days. There's been no news from the hospital yet. It's a terrible shame as Eduardo has been playing well and had struck up a decent partnership with Adebayor. We need Van Persie back big time.
In Arsene we trust!!

planespotting

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:53 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 6):

Yes - it's a tough injury, but he'll be alright.

I broke my leg in almost the exact same spot, in almost the exact same way in 2003. Right at the base of the tibia (shinbone), immediately above the ankle. A friend of mine came down with me after jumping up and his leg moved in on mine and got me right there. It's actually a very easy place to break a bone, if all the forces come together in the right way. (and the easiest way, the docs told me, was someone else's foot coming down at a perpendicular angle like the first photo)

When I tried to stand up I fell right down and felt the most ridiculous amount of pain ever. I looked at my foot, and it was hanging off my leg at about 30 degrees to the right, just flopping there. It was quite the sight.

Turns out it was a spiral fracture, went about an inch and a half up my shin bone, and the force of the trauma came around and broke my fibula too. This guy definitely has a tib/fib combo, but probably not much more than that.

I didn't even need surgery (I also was 1.5 hours away from one of the top 5 orthopedic hospitals in the country - thanks UIHC!), and after one month in a full leg cast, one month in a knee cast and a month wearing a boot, I was given a clean bill of health.

I've an interesting looking lump on my shinbone now, and my right leg's calf muscle still doesn't look as lean or fit as my left, but for all intents and purposes, that leg is stronger now than it was before.

He'll be alrite.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

David L

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 11):
Djibrill Cisse, Alan Smith and Henrik Larsson all made full recoveries from similar injuries

I'm sure they must already have had partial fractures, given how easily they broke. I suspect it's worse when a healthy bone is snapped as suddenly as that - I'm no expert, though. I'm sure many skiers, for example, get injuries as horrific but many recover well, as long as the wound isn't badly infected.

b78710

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:00 pm

didn't really think it was that bad a challenge!

didn't look malicious, wasn't two footed, i honestly think he just got it wrong!

i was surprised to see a red tbh, thought he might even get away with it not being a booking in the 2nd min!

though to be fair, i've only seen it once in full speed as they weren't showing replays!

b78710

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 13):

Cisse came close to losing his leg (the first time)

apparantly where his bone snapped it clamped onto the major artery in his leg, not allowing blood to flow!

they reckon if the physio hadn't pulled his leg apart at the side of the pitch he would have lost his leg!

N1120A

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 am

It looked terrible, but it is amazing what modern medicine can do.

Djibrill Cisse, Alan Smith and Henrik Larsson all made full recoveries from similar injuries

Cisse even broke his again.

We need Van Persie back big time.

You guys should have never sold the best striker in the world  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

David L

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:40 am

Quoting B78710 (Reply 15):
Cisse came close to losing his leg (the first time)

apparantly where his bone snapped it clamped onto the major artery in his leg, not allowing blood to flow!

Well, OK, I didn't know that but it was a secondary complication. The point I was making is that the actual break can't really be compared to the other examples cited as it happened in a different way.

Banco

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:49 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 12):
Yes - it's a tough injury, but he'll be alright.

There's a bit of a difference between it being repaired so that you and I can carry on with a normal life, and repairing it to the extent that someone can play professional football again, and at the very highest level too.

Hopefully he will be fine, but a full recovery in a normal person isn't quite the same as what is needed here.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

scbriml

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:31 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
Hopefully he will be fine, but a full recovery in a normal person isn't quite the same as what is needed here.

Absolutely, it would be great to see him playing in Arsenal's first game next season. yes 

But, one does need to keep in mind that career-ending injuries are a risk associated with almost all professional sport (even non-contact sports like golf and tennis). I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but the risk is always there.

davehammer

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Good luck to the guy and I hope he will be up playing again. I'd hate to be Martin Taylor at the moment. Yep Arsenal need Van Persie back but since he's been there he's been doing a brilliant Darren Anderton impression. I cant see that changing to be honest.

All in all good luck Eduardo.

metroliner

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Oh no! That'll be a hell of a blow to Croatia's campaign this year... I was hoping to see them do well. Maybe they will anyway... and he still has a few months to get it working again...

At least it looks like a clean break - get well, Eduardo!

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 20):
Darren Anderton

Who?  Wink

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

David L

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 20):
Yep Arsenal need Van Persie back but since he's been there he's been doing a brilliant Darren Anderton impression

checkmark  I've had him in my Fantasy League team since the start of the season and he's been "on the verge of a comeback" for weeks now. I daren't get rid of him in case he does make a comeback and someone else snaps him up.  banghead 

planespotting

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:36 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
There's a bit of a difference between it being repaired so that you and I can carry on with a normal life, and repairing it to the extent that someone can play professional football again, and at the very highest level too.

Yes, of course - more healing is required for a leg like his. But as long as there's no blood vessel or nerve damage, his leg, ankle and foot should be able to give it a go again next year.

It'd be better for his overall health if they don't have to do surgery, because it's much better if your body can do it's own healing. But since it's a sports injury, and sports medicine concentrates on quick recovery, he's probably already had a surgery or two by now.

David L

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 23):
But since it's a sports injury, and sports medicine concentrates on quick recovery, he's probably already had a surgery or two by now.

Would a break like that be treated without surgery? Again stressing that I'm no expert, I'd have thought there would be some "jagged ends" to deal with and perhaps some bone fragments to remove, at the very least.

planespotting

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 24):
Would a break like that be treated without surgery?

I'm only an expert on what happened to me - but from the photos, the injury looked very similar. His foot was hanging off at about the same angle, although it might have been more severe - hard to tell. I can say it's definitely not easy to set such a fracture - it took them three tries before they got mine. Luckily I was out each time ... the third time they put me under anesthesia and were going to do surgery if they couldn't set it.

But when I was down with mine, the doc (who was the head of the University of Iowa Department of Orthapedics) tib/fibs usually look more severe than they are, unless there is bone marrow or arterial damage from the shock.

Can't say whether or not this guy had any of that or not - or if there was secondary ankle damage, which I'm not familiar with. It'll be interesting to find out about if more information becomes available.

Fiatstilojtd

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Maybe a little bit off topic but has anyone seen the injury of ski-racer Hermann Maier after his motorcycle collision with the german guy...this was much worse than this....and he is back in professional ski-racing.

LTU932

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Let's not get technical, this is a career-threatening injury whichever way you look at it, Eduardo's leg was basically snapped in two. Djibrill Cisse, Alan Smith and Henrik Larsson all made full recoveries from similar injuries

I was about to mention Cissé and how he broke his leg before the World Cup. That was already a horrible sight to see.

And for those who say he should still be able to recover soon and that there has been worse injuries, I hope I can share your optimism, but as said, it's still a carreer threatening injury. I wish Eduardo da Silva a speedy recovery and hope that the man responsible for this will get at least a six month ban from football directly from FIFA.

b78710

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 27):
I was about to mention Cissé and how he broke his leg before the World Cup. That was already a horrible sight to see.

he broke his other leg a year or 2 before that aswell!

at blackburn!

David L

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Quoting B78710 (Reply 28):
he broke his other leg a year or 2 before that aswell!

I assumed that was the one we were talking about earlier - it's certainly the one I was referring to. I didn't see the later one though, after just checking, it's seems to have been a bit unusual, too.

KPWM

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Here's a link to the video if you can stomach it. I didn't want to embed it due to graphic images.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4921848301596887824

sandrozrh

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm

A horrible tackle and a real shame to see Eduardo might have his career go down the wastebin. All the best for a fast recovery.

in a post-game interview Arsene Wenger said: "This guy (Taylor) should neve rplay football again"

Damn straight.

LTU932

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:29 pm

I was just watching a few more vids of that, and I agree, Taylor should be banned by FIFA for life. I mean, he didn't even bother to go to Eduardo and even make the most simplest of gesture and apologise to him on the spot. Instead, he stood around and did absolutely nothing, and didn't even show at that moment the smallest bit of regret.

Just for that lack of sportsmanship, his ban should be extended to a lifetime one.

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 am

Well the Birmingham City player did visit Eduardo in hospital today which was a nice touch and the right thing to do. But his "tackle" has still left me in rage. You don't break someone's leg, especially in that manner unless you go in hard and with SOME intent, I'm not saying he did it deliberately, but the guy needs to learn to tackle, that wasn't a tackle worthy of Premier League quality. As for him being banned for life, i feel that's a bit excessive, FIFA need to do something about tackles of this nature, which is more evident in English football. Skillful players like Eduardo are just too fast and too tricky for the old fashioned blood and thunder English players.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
You guys should have never sold the best striker in the world

I think we've coped admirably without his services this season, but yeah, "Titi" is a legend.
In Arsene we trust!!

LTU932

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:40 am

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 33):
Well the Birmingham City player did visit Eduardo in hospital today which was a nice touch and the right thing to do.

While it was the right thing to do, my question remains: why didn't Martin Taylor do anything to at least apologise to Eduardo or the other players on the pitch? He was shown the red card (rightfully so) and he just disappeared, not a single shred of good sportsmanship was shown when it became clear to him that this was something much too serious.

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 am

On the BBC 606 forums i saw a picture showing Martin Taylor apparently SMILING as he was getting up after the tackle, don't know what to make of it though.
In Arsene we trust!!

a380us

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 am

OWWWWW

Thats gotta hurt!
www.JandACosmetics.com

Banco

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 am

Oh come off it with the "ban him for life" nonsense you lot. Even Wenger, who actually managed to see something that happened on the pitch for once, retracted that statement, saying it was in the heat of the moment.

It's a poor tackle, but not a malicious one. If you're going to ban someone for life for it, then you're going to effectively ban all tackling in the game, because no-one will dare take the risk that they might mistime it. It's not a two footed lunge, and it's not a charge in from 25 yards tackle either. These things happen, get over it.

bravo45

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:50 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
Even Wenger, who actually managed to see something that happened on the pitch for once, retracted that statement, saying it was in the heat of the moment.

I agree, but would also say just a single red card is not really fitting the foul here.

Not sure if Wenger was being honest, of being head of the club, but in answer to the question (not sure if it was right after the match or later) if it was a career ending injury, he said certainly season ending or a bit longer than that. Gave me the impression that to him it wasn't as big of a deal as if seemed to me. Hope he has a full recovery.

Banco

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:56 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 38):
I agree, but would also say just a single red card is not really fitting the foul here.

It was perfectly fitting. A red card and nothing more was all it deserved. It was a poor tackle, but the outcome is not relevant. It was neither reckless nor deliberate, it was mistimed. You'll end up banning tackling completely if players are going to be slaughtered for making a mistake.

bravo45

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:28 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 39):
It was neither reckless nor deliberate, it was mistimed. You'll end up banning tackling completely if players are going to be slaughtered for making a mistake.

Hmm... Saw the video posted above and you do seem to have a point there too, especially because the actual video of it was not very clear as to how deliberate was it. Not sure if its because they didn't have more views on it, or they weren't shown because they were too graphic. I spoke in the heat of the moment.  Wink

N1120A

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):

While it was the right thing to do, my question remains: why didn't Martin Taylor do anything to at least apologise to Eduardo or the other players on the pitch?

Do you really think that was the time or place for such a thing? Eduardo needed medical attention, not apologies from Taylor. I think the move he made was the right one.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AR385

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 am

My brother plays goal keeper in various amateur leagues here. He told me that it was a bad tackle, certainly malicious. I'm no expert so I don't know. What is done in such cases here in Mexico, in the professional league, the player who committed the foul is banned for the same time the player injured has to remain off the field.

LTU932

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:08 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):
Eduardo needed medical attention

I know. I'm not disputing that.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):
not apologies from Taylor

This is why I said at least an apology to the players (like the captain) or even to the manager. It's the initial indifference from him that has bothered me.

OHLHD

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:23 am

The idiot that injured Eduardo should be banned as long as De Silva can´t play!

oli80

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:57 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 42):
What is done in such cases here in Mexico, in the professional league, the player who committed the foul is banned for the same time the player injured has to remain off the field

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 44):
The idiot that injured Eduardo should be banned as long as De Silva can´t play!

I do quite like this idea, however, how do they prove it was deliberate? Or doesn't it matter, do they ban them regardless of that?

OHLHD

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:00 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 45):
I do quite like this idea, however, how do they prove it was deliberate? Or doesn't it matter, do they ban them regardless of that?

I remember such a case from Romania where a player injured the other so bad that he was banned as long as the other can´t play and the player never played again.

Regardless what the player was thinking I believe that such a ban after that foul is just fine.

Does anyone know if Eduardo can sue him?

scbriml

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:29 am

Come on guys, where's the common sense gone?

The tackle was no worse than poor, the outcome very unfortunate. In every game you'll see players diving in to tackles with near reckless abandon. It's part of the game, and, as in any contact sport, there's always a chance of serious injury.

Suggesting Taylor should be banned for life is simply preposterous and would only lead to a lawsuit for "unfair restraint of trade". He was given an immediate red card, which some pundits have even suggested was not warranted. If the FA review the incident and decide further punishment is required, then they will take action, but frankly, I'd be surprised if they even get involved.

CXfirst

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 27):
hope that the man responsible for this will get at least a six month ban from football directly from FIFA.

I will be really surprised if anything more happened.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
While it was the right thing to do, my question remains: why didn't Martin Taylor do anything to at least apologise to Eduardo or the other players on the pitch?

Are you sure Taylor knew how bad an injury it was? In almost every game, there are players that fall to the ground and seem to need medical attention. Taylor got a red card and leaves the field, it is after he has left the field, when he finds out that the break was a lot worse than he thought, but what can he do then, go out again to apologize? He did go see Eduardo at hospital, what else can you expect from him.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 42):
My brother plays goal keeper in various amateur leagues here. He told me that it was a bad tackle, certainly malicious. I

That doesn't make him an expert. From all the people I have talked to or heard from, they have said it was a red card, and nothing more, this is from Arsenal fans, non-Arsenal fans, players on my soccer team, experts on television and radio.

-CXfirst

OHLHD

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:14 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 47):
The tackle was no worse than poor, the outcome very unfortunate. In every game you'll see players diving in to tackles with near reckless abandon. It's part of the game, and, as in any contact sport, there's always a chance of serious injury.

BS, such a foul in the second minute is by no way a everyday happening! What the heck was he thinking??? Fouls like that have nothing to do with sport.