PacNWjet

Places Too Dangerous To Visit?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Several years ago Condé Nast Traveler magazine ran an article about places that were too dangerous for the average tourist to visit. The article was published at a time when the level of violence in Colombia caused by drug cartels was at its height. About Colombia the article stated succinctly, “Not even for thrill seekers.” I believe the level of violence in Colombia has gone way down since the article was published, but an interesting question arises, what places are too dangerous for you to visit?

airportugal310

RE: Places Too Dangerous To Visit?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Newark, NJ

Just last week or the week before there was an article on CNN that boasted "No murders in Newark over 60 days" or something like that.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

LAXdude1023

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:01 pm

I might throw Sao Paulo on to that list. I love the city, but its very dangerous.
It is what it is...

aloges

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:06 pm

Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, Somalia, Chechnya, East Timor, Haiti... and if you include ethical considerations, there's North Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, the rest of Sudan, Libya, Russia and many more.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

UAL747

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur, Somalia, Chechnya, East Timor, Haiti... and if you include ethical considerations, there's North Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, the rest of Sudan, Libya, Russia and many more.

Okay, I understand Afghanistan, Darfur, Somalia, Chechnya(Mabye) East Timor, North Korea, Sudan, but Libya, China, Saudi Arabia and Russia?

China is absolutely safe, been there, lived there, Russia is safe, and Saudi is actually safe as well, just have to remember the country's customs.

Ironically, many Japanese consider the US a dangerous place to visit, and many of the countries of the world have travel warnings for people headed to the US, mainly due to bigotry, the lack of foreign language speakers, and hatred and intolerance.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

767Lover

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Regarding Colombia:

A few years ago my husband and I traveled to Bogota to attend the wedding of a friend. He was an American marrying a native of Bogota.

What we were told by the bride herself (the native) was to not, under any circumstances, leave the main urban areas of the city of Bogota -- even with our driver, who was taking us around for the weekend. She said the likelihood was very high that on the rural roads, the car would be pulled over and we would be "detained" indefinitely.

That said, I didn't feel unsafe at all in the city. I even wandered around by myself for a few hours around lunchtime on a business day, and never once felt uncomfortable (other than not knowing Spanish and not knowing how to find what I was looking for.) We were in a primary business district, so maybe that contributed to my comfort, but overall it was a very positive experience.

It was a bit telling though when the driver took us to a grocery store and the car had to go through a security check before being parked.

UAL747

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Here is a list of countries that the US has warnings for for its citizens.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

MD11Engineer

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:42 pm

My fiancee is a bit reluctant of letting me travel to her hometown Iligan City on the Philippine Island Mindanao to see her family. She says that the Muslim areas just start about 50 km south of her place and that they are the operational base of several Muslim extremist / seccessionist / bandit groops (the borders between the motives are very fluid), which occasionally carry out raids into the neighbouring provinces to capture hostages, wealthier Filipinos and foreigners. While she, as a native, blends into the crowd, I literally stick out off it (I'm about a head taller than the average male Filipino).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Derico

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Belgrade flying a Kosovo flag.

Colombia is not as dangerous as portrayed. In fact, if you stick to the main cities it is safer than several countries in the region.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

AF340

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm

The Border between Honduras and Guatelmala.

Guess where I'm going next week...

Liam spin 

OA260

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 8):
Belgrade flying a Kosovo flag.

LOL....

Colombia is not as dangerous as portrayed

So I have heard. Bogota used to have a bad reputation for would be tourists but I hear its safe now.

Pakistan I would consider dangerous as I was due to visit friends there and the Embassy told me not to go !!!

Saudi Arabia / Parts of Indonesia / Afghanistan / Iraq / Parts of Egypt / Parts of Sri Lanka / Parts of Thailand / Lots of African countries which is a shame.

A list of government advice warnings which would relate to most EU citizens can be found here :::

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?.../ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590

EWRCabincrew

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:20 pm

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 1):
Newark, NJ

Hardly dangerous. I never had/have a problem there. That and common sense works everytime.
You can't cure stupid

aloges

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 4):
Libya, China, Saudi Arabia and Russia?

For this reason:

if you include ethical considerations

I interpreted the word dangerous a little bit differently for those, as in "dangerous for those who don't bend over".  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

carmenlu15

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:38 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 9):

Hehe, I was wondering how many replies would it take for my country to come up... (not that I'm really disagreeing with you, mind you  worried  )
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

co777er

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:10 am

Mexican border cities with drug lords / drug trafficking issues

rojo

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:15 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 9):

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 13):
Hehe, I was wondering how many replies would it take for my country to come up... (not that I'm really disagreeing with you, mind you )

I was in Guatemala last week with my brother and we decided to rent a car so we could drive to Antigua. Since we live in Mexico, we thought it wouldn't be that different... and it wasn't except for the fact that the police decided to stop us because they were doing a routine check and because we didn't look like the people of Guatemala (yes, that is what he said). I started to talk to the police officer about crime in the city, insecurity and about living in Mexico, which I thought was more dangerous and he couldn't believe all the things I told him. After looking at my passport and the car registration and after I threw some jokes he decided to let us go. Next day I told the guy working at the rental agency what happened and he told me I was very lucky that police did not ask for money or took me to the station or even kidnapped us...

skywatch

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:18 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
Haiti

Been there....stayed for two months before the massive governoment turnover...then it got bad. However, the U.N. Peacekeepers stationed in Haiti have done an excellent job getting things back in relative order. Most of Haiti is relatively safe now, but Port-au-Prince still harbors a bunch of kidnappers.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

STT757

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:03 am

Newark, NJ

Just last week or the week before there was an article on CNN that boasted "No murders in Newark over 60 days" or something like that.

You got to be kidding, I used to work in Downtown Newark (Halsey Street) and it is by far not even in the top twenty dangerous places on the East Coast. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, New Haven, Hartford, Providence are all worse.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

planespotting

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:28 am

I'd really like to visit Israel, but can't help but feel like that would just be incredibly unsafe to visit.

I know the suicide bombs around Tel Aviv have gone down a lot in the past few years, but growing up in the United States, it seemed like terrorist attacks in Israel were an almost nightly occurrence for many years.

I don't mean to be "placeist" against Israel, but I just don't know if I would feel comfortable going there.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Newark777

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:34 am

Newark, NJ

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 11):
Hardly dangerous. I never had/have a problem there. That and common sense works everytime.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 17):
You got to be kidding, I used to work in Downtown Newark (Halsey Street) and it is by far not even in the top twenty dangerous places on the East Coast. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, New Haven, Hartford, Providence are all worse.

Newark has been historically known as dangerous, but I am much more apprehensive about going to either Irvington or Camden.

And speaking of murder rates, at one time this year Philadelphia was averaging more than one a day. Philadelphia would kill (no pun intended) for a 60 day no murder stretch.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CXA330300

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:44 am

Johannesburg has the world's highest murder rate, and burglaries and carjackings are all-too-frequent. Then again, its possible to visit without major incident...

I'd say that Yemen wouldn't be a good place to visit right now.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 18):
I'd really like to visit Israel, but can't help but feel like that would just be incredibly unsafe to visit.

The rate of terrorist attacks has plummeted in recent years thanks to tougher security restrictions, though I still would be reasonably careful. You're much more likely to get hurt by the insane driving in Israel.

Then again, there are places in Israel best left avoided, and crossing over anywhere into the Palestinian Territories is a very, very, very bad idea.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

Avianca

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:02 am

Quoting PacNWJet (Thread starter):
The article was published at a time when the level of violence in Colombia caused by drug cartels was at its height. About Colombia the article stated succinctly, “Not even for thrill seekers.” I believe the level of violence in Colombia has gone way down since the article was published, but an interesting question arise

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 5):
What we were told by the bride herself (the native) was to not, under any circumstances, leave the main urban areas of the city of Bogota -- even with our driver, who was taking us around for the weekend. She said the likelihood was very high that on the rural roads, the car would be pulled over and we would be "detained" indefinitely.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 5):
It was a bit telling though when the driver took us to a grocery store and the car had to go through a security check before being parked.

Colombia is not as dangerous as portrayed. In fact, if you stick to the main cities it is safer than several countries in the region.

have to say these days colombia is really relaxed compared 15 years ago... so far I felt always safe... even travelling between major citys with bus...

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 2):
I might throw Sao Paulo on to that list. I love the city, but its very dangerous.

felt also safe the last time I visited Sao Paulo... but hey it always depends at what part of the city you are staing...
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

LHboyatDTW

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:49 am

Mexico City. I hear that there are some decent neighborhoods, but sometimes you really have to walk around looking like you have gun in your jacket armed at all times. Other than that, the taxi cabs.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

UAL747

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 am

Welcome to the US, our mid-driffed just receieved power when it was found that we weren't too foolished to use it  Smile

UAL!!!!!

Superfly

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Russia is safe

No it is not.

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61671.htm

Federal and local measures to combat crime continued to be applied disproportionately to persons appearing to be from the Caucasus and Central Asia. Police reportedly beat, harassed, and demanded bribes from persons with dark skin, or who appeared to be from the Caucasus, Central Asia, or Africa. Ethnic Azerbaijani vendors alleged that police frequently used violence against them during document checks at markets in St. Petersburg.

Authorities in Moscow subjected dark‑skinned persons to far more frequent document checks than others and frequently detained them or fined them in amounts that exceeded legally permissible penalties. Police often failed to record infractions against minorities or to issue a written record to the alleged perpetrators. Law enforcement authorities also targeted such persons for deportation from urban centers. In March the Institute for War and Peace Reporting noted that police arrested illegal migrant workers from Central Asia and illegally took their money and then took the workers to the outskirts of Moscow instead of deporting them. This practice reportedly allowed the police to pocket the cost of the deportation and leave the workers in Moscow for future arrests.

http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/21302

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2008/02/21/005.html

As a gay person, you may want to pay close attention to this on-going problem in Russia.

http://www.gayrussia.ru/en/
Bring back the Concorde

OA260

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
As a gay person, you may want to pay close attention to this on-going problem in Russia.

What about this is the USA??? www.godhatesfags.com http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

No it is not.

Thousands and thousands of tourists go to Russia every year without incident. Just see how many cruise ships dock in St Petersburg overnight and run tours . There are parts of Russia that are best avoided but for a tourist doing tourist things its quite safe.

bongo

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting PacNWJet (Thread starter):
I believe the level of violence in Colombia has gone way down since the article was published

That´s right sir.

In fact, Colombia is a nice place to visit right now. Security, interesting things to see.
Nowadays you can see a lot of foreigners in the main cities such as Bogota, Medellin and Cali.
If someone need some advice on Colombia, do not hesitate to ask me  Smile
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

sw733

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:20 pm

Johannesburg is someplace I like to avoid, but I have never had a problem in the few times that I HAVE been there

Bogota is a perfectly safe city...in fact, the major cities in Colombia, as mentioned, are generally quite safe. Use common sense, but avoid the rural and jungle areas, that's where your trouble hits.

I'm glad to see a big lack of African cities and countries on this list. But there are some places I have been that I would avoid...recently, Abidjan has been a little scary, and so has Freetown (Sierra Leone), and of course Somalia, even possibly Eritrea. Nigeria too, especially the river delta, is someplace I tend to avoid. Other than that, I don't feel too worried anywhere. Some places that generally are viewed as bad in the west that I have had no problem at (and actually really enjoyed) include Angola, Ethiopia, Libya, Algeria, and the DR Congo. The DR Congo is hit or miss though, and generally I guess it wouldn't be on the top of my list, but I lived!  Wink

andrej

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:13 pm

checkmark 

checkmark 

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 19):
Newark has been historically known as dangerous, but I am much more apprehensive about going to either Irvington or Camden.

And speaking of murder rates, at one time this year Philadelphia was averaging more than one a day. Philadelphia would kill (no pun intended) for a 60 day no murder stretch.

checkmark 

....I concur that Newark (downtown area) is not dangerous. I have been there myself many times and it is no different from other downtown. It has its special feel and that's about it. However there are dangerous zones, such as areas west of the University Hospital. But even there it is not as bad as in.....Camden, NJ.

Camden, NJ -> where ambulances get shot at!

I guess it depends where you visit. There are safe areas in Newark and there are not safe areas. Same goes for every place be it London, Mexico City or NYC! I feel safe in Baltimore, Trenton or Washington D.C., but I do not visit bad areas.

I would not visit Iraq, Afghanistan right now, maybe in the future.

Unfortunately you are right, rise of such attacks is very sad indeed. I wish that Moscow will deal with these hate crimes and punish those a$$holes. These city kids are to bored, don't have clear guidance in their lives. Send them to army and it will take care of them! Couple weeks in Siberia and Chechnya will teach these punks!

Cheers,
Andrej

a380us

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 18):
I don't mean to be "placeist" against Israel, but I just don't know if I would feel comfortable going there.

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 20):
The rate of terrorist attacks has plummeted in recent years thanks to tougher security restrictions, though I still would be reasonably careful. You're much more likely to get hurt by the insane driving in Israel.

Ive heard this many times by many diffrent types of people and beg to differ.
I mean I know I'm a kid and "don't know best" but I spend many summers in Israel alone and as long as your careful your fine.
I haven't really been in any dangerouse situations except once but thats because i wasnt really careful and was very lucky.
www.JandACosmetics.com

AF340

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Quoting A380US (Reply 29):
I haven't really been in any dangerouse situations except once but thats because i wasnt really careful and was very lucky.

Do I hear an interesting story here?

Please share!
Liam spin 

planespotting

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting A380US (Reply 29):
Ive heard this many times by many diffrent types of people and beg to differ.
I mean I know I'm a kid and "don't know best" but I spend many summers in Israel alone and as long as your careful your fine.

That's good to know - I would really like to visit someday.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

ScarletHarlot

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:59 pm

Hardly dangerous. I never had/have a problem there.

I also agree, I go in to the Ironbound section of Newark reasonably often and I have never had any trouble.
But that was when I ruled the world

csavel

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 2):

I actually thought it was relatively safe compared to Rio. Oh well. What about Campinas - off chance I may have to go there for work.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
What about this is the USA??? www.godhatesfags.com http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

Well, c'mon. It's not like Fred ("Oh please give it to me hard up the butt, but not let anyone find out about it") Phelps has an army walking down Times Square. Even conservatives in a conservative place like Kansas think he's a nut job.

You could call the US on a lot of shit to be sure, but c'mon. Freddie is no more representative of the US than Andrei Chkatilo is representative of Russia.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

a380us

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 30):

Do I hear an interesting story here?

Um... yes but not now I dont feel like typing so much maybe if you remind me later
www.JandACosmetics.com

LTU932

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 22):
I hear that there are some decent neighborhoods, but sometimes you really have to walk around looking like you have gun in your jacket armed at all times.

Isn't that more of a description of Detroit, MI?  Wink  duck 

Fiatstilojtd

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:19 pm

The bedroom/kitchen etc. (delete as appropriate) after an argument with the misses.  Wink

LAXdude1023

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Csavel (Reply 33):
You could call the US on a lot of shit to be sure, but c'mon. Freddie is no more representative of the US than Andrei Chkatilo is representative of Russia.

Ahh yes, the Rostov Ripper. Of course weve had a lot more serial killers in the US than anywhere else. Growing up in Los Angeles, I remeber the days of the Night Stalker (Richard Ramirez), The Trash Bag Murders (Patrick Wayne Kearney), Randy Kraft, The Hillside Stranglers, etc. And all of them were only in Los Angeles. Los Angeles has been known as the unoffical capital of serial Murder. Then of course there were the Rodney King riots and the crack epidemic that turned South Central Los Angeles into a virtual warzone in the 1990's. However, overall I have always found Los Angeles to be safe.

I actually thought it was relatively safe compared to Rio. Oh well. What about Campinas - off chance I may have to go there for work.

Ive never been to Rio, Ive been to Sao Paulo once for work and I saw someone get knifed (near Liberdade, which is supposed to be safer). I would love to explore Sao Paulo in more detail, but I speak no Portugese or Spanish. Its why I stayed Liberdade because I speak Japanese and was able to get by with that there.
It is what it is...

KL773ER

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:01 pm

Johannesburg has the world's highest murder rate, and burglaries and carjackings are all-too-frequent.

I was waiting for this place to come up. I had a good friend from there who ... when he immigrated to the US bought a house in a nice safe neighbourhood, yet ... would have 5 locks on his front door keeping the cars in the garage at all times.

I wouldn't mind visiting Tsibili, Georgia (Russia)  Wink however, I've been hearing bad news about that place here recently. (Despite the nice article about it in Condé Nast a few months ago.) Also, I wouldn't mind visiting Tallinn, Estonia.

pizzaandplanes

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting Andrej (Reply 28):

Camden, NJ -> where ambulances get shot at!

Thats a bit of an overstatement. Have you ever been to Camden waterfront? Just as nice as Baltimore inner harbor.

Newark, NJ

Please don't be prejudiced. Newark has very many safe/visit worthy places to go.
A real man lands where he wants to

57AZ

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Washington DC

I think that DC is generally pretty safe as long as you avoid going into SE-Anacostia.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Newark777

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Quoting Pizzaandplanes (Reply 39):
Thats a bit of an overstatement. Have you ever been to Camden waterfront? Just as nice as Baltimore inner harbor.

But just like Baltimore, you don't want to get too far away from the nice waterfront area.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 40):
I think that DC is generally pretty safe as long as you avoid going into SE-Anacostia.

There's some areas in NE that I wish I hadn't gone through as well.

Flighty

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Quoting KL773ER (Reply 38):
Also, I wouldn't mind visiting Tallinn, Estonia.

That is a civilized place, should not be unsafe in the least bit. Not sure if you meant that it was.

For dangerous places.

I have heard KIN, Haiti, (if you are non black) ... parts of Germany if you are indeed black...

Guyana...

Gaza...

Acapuloco was pretty unsafe for a while.

Flighty

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 41):
There's some areas in NE that I wish I hadn't gone through as well.

Very true.

andrej

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Quoting Pizzaandplanes (Reply 39):
Thats a bit of an overstatement.

Nope, being completely honest! There used to be company in NJ called Rural/Metro. (They are huge national ambulance company) but they left NJ. Anyways I saw the bullet holes in the ambulance, and I have spend couple of nights in Camden (to hear gunshots was not out of ordinary). Also talked to couple of medics from the area and scene safety was not always safe. Some drug addicts wanted to get their drugs but crew left before it got worse.

As I stated even bad cities have nice areas, but Camden have special place in my heart!  crazy 

Cheers,
Andrej  wave 

AFKLMLHLX

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 pm

I live near Newark and it is unsafe, but not in the way which you think. Basically, if you are involved with all of the violence and gangs in Newark, then it is unsafe, but just visiting, it is not. Rarely ever do crimes happen randomly in Newark. I love the Ironbound section and the downtown section. Newark is dangerous in a poorer way, but it just like any other large city with diversity in that sense. I would not necessarily like to live in Newark although the northern section by Glenn Ridge is verrrryyy nice, it is not that bad. Actually, Newark was once the crown jewl of New Jersey but like some other jewls such as Asbury Park, it was rioted during the 60's and 70's thus creating much of what Newark is today. My grandmother used to ride the train to Newark just to go shopping in Bambergers or Macy's, the staple of Newark's hay day. Irvington, the town next to Newark, is much worse and in fact rated the number one worst place in the USA, but it cannot be classified as a city, so it does not make that list.

Camden is unsafe. It is not a nice place to visit and it is just...well, Camden. Don't go there, don't stay, just let Camden be!

I am going to China in a few weeks and it is not unsafe. China is so vast that of course there are unsafe parts, but it is great place to visit and is a rapidly developing country. China has so much culture and ethnicity to it, it is really unique!

I have always thought of Russia as a fairly civilized place and as a member of the G8, Russia should hold up to certain criteria. Moscow is an EXTREMELY expensive city recently ranked the number one most expensive city to live in for expats. Russia generally is safe, except the southern portion by Georgia. Travelers should avoid that area at all cost.

I do not get why people say Algeria is unsafe. There has been some unrest there lately, but I concider the North Africa countries (Morocco, Algeria, Libya and Egypt) to be the most developed countries in Africa besides South Africa and South Africa isn't too far head either. They have much more stable governments than many other Sub-Saharan countries and because they are very Islam influenced, in general, things will be more in order than the corrupt governments in many other African countries. I have heard Algiers is very nice city and I really want to visit there. I love the food, I like the culture and in general, I just like the mix of French and Arabic.

As Colombia goes, their economy actually is ranked above most other South American countries as defined by the World Heritage Free Economy report. I personally don't like the hot and muggy parts of South America, but I think Bogota is worth visiting.

Newark777

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:46 pm

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Reply 45):
Basically, if you are involved with all of the violence and gangs in Newark, then it is unsafe, but just visiting, it is not.

I think that would apply no matter where you live.  Wink

Quoting AFKLMLHLX (Reply 45):
I would not necessarily like to live in Newark although the northern section by Glenn Ridge is verrrryyy nice, it is not that bad.

Up there near Montclair is nice, just not the Oranges. Even going west right across the border to Maplewood is nice, however some of the crime issues have started creeping into there as well. Sad what the people of Newark and Irvington have done to their own communities, considering what it used to be like.

KPWM

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:53 pm

In the US I would think:

Parts of St. Louis
Gary, Indiana
Compton, California

OA260

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Well, c'mon. It's not like Fred ("Oh please give it to me hard up the butt, but not let anyone find out about it") Phelps has an army walking down Times Square. Even conservatives in a conservative place like Kansas think he's a nut job.

Yet this group are not banned for inciting hate and violence and are allowed to picket funerals of your Military coming home after laying their lives down for your country !!! They should be rounded up at funerals and charged and jailed. This would never be allowed to continue in the EU. They would be charged with hate crimes. Which is what it is . USA/Russia no difference IMHO just two different situations. I'm more annoyed at the USA to be honest as they promote themselves as being a beacon of democracy and freedom for ALL. With all that technology they have I'm sure they know how to close a website ???

Quoting Flighty (Reply 42):
Guyana...

Yes Guyana is dangerous and the ethnic tensions are getting worse.

Boeing4ever

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 48):
Yet this group are not banned for inciting hate and violence and are allowed to picket funerals of your Military coming home after laying their lives down for your country !!! They should be rounded up at funerals and charged and jailed. This would never be allowed to continue in the EU. They would be charged with hate crimes. Which is what it is . USA/Russia no difference IMHO just two different situations. I'm more annoyed at the USA to be honest as they promote themselves as being a beacon of democracy and freedom for ALL.

Your statement is ironic. WBC in my opinion is one of the most vile groups of people on the Earth. That they dare claim to speak for God is well, mortifying. However, the 1st Amendment guarantees them freedom of speech (and by extension, freedom of sheer stupidity). Arrest them for what may I ask? Picketing? Dangerous precedent there. Of course we can restrict them at funerals and should, but if they don't cause material or physical harm to anyone else, there isn't anything the law can or should do. The United States is INDEED the beacon for of freedom for ALL. And that "all" even includes the not so desirable elements of society.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death, your right to say it." - Voltaire

That said, a cheerful fantasy would be the ATF uncovering a major weapons cache with plans for an insurrection against the government. Then maybe a few JDAMs on their compound will solve the problem of Westboro permenantly.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane