QFA380
Topic Author

Best Place To Stay In The US?

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:04 am

Later this year I will hopefully be going to the US for a 6 month exchange program. I have decided I want to go to the US, I want to experience some of the culture, meet friendly people and have a fun time (no booze permitted on trip  Wink ).

I've been thinking about Seattle, it seems to have culture and nice city, close to Canada if I need to escape Big grin and most of all has the Boeing factory. The thing giving me doubts about it is the weather, is it really that bad?

I'd like to go to somewhere with low crime rates, a fairly open city, friendly people, a decent airport for spotting and isn't too expensive to live, it needs to have fairly good weather too. I'm not too sure if such a place exists (Sydney is the only one in the world?).

Looking forward to your responses, if you can suggest a few cities please do as I need a backup in case I can't get the first or second.

Thanks!!!!

fxramper

RE: Best Place To Stay In The US?

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 am

University of Texas - Austin, Texas.

Newark777

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am

No city like New York City.  Smile

Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ArmitageShanks

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:43 am

If you find your way to Tennessee, you have a free bed here.

Mountains, national parks, and small town America.

Camping, southern food, and a good time!

wilco737

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:59 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
No city like New York City. Smile

I do agree! I would pick NYC as well!!!!  thumbsup 

Or Washington D.C.! Liked it there a lot as well! oh, and Seattle was great too! But still: I'd pick NYC!!!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

HALFA

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:01 am

Quoting QFA380 (Thread starter):
(no booze permitted on trip

Just took a peak at your profile and you say you are 13-15? You shouldn't be drinking booze anyway!!

I'd like to go to somewhere with low crime rates, a fairly open city, friendly people, a decent airport for spotting and isn't too expensive to live, it needs to have fairly good weather too.

I'm not too sure if such a place exists (Sydney is the only one in the world?).

I would stay away from California. Not because it's a bad place but because it's very similar to Sydney. I travel to SYD about once per week and there are many lifestyle similarities between LA and SYD. You should go somewhere that is uniquely American. If you want wide open spaces with great natural beauty, go to the Southwestern part of the country. The weather is not bad and you wont be bored to death. And since you can't drink booze, perhaps you should consider Salt Lake City, Utah. They have some of the most restrictive alcohol regulations in America. It's close to great skiing and beautiful scenery in the southern part of the state.
And btw, Sydney's weather hasn't exactly been great this summer! With the exception of this past weekend, it's not been very nice of late.

Good luck,

HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

QFA380
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:19 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 5):
Just took a peak at your profile and you say you are 13-15? You shouldn't be drinking booze anyway!!

Honestly, over here 13-15 year olds drink lots! I don't ever but I always here stories. last year I went on a 2 week course with Air Force Cadets, there were kids saying "I can't wait til I pass out tonight, it's gonna be awesome" and stuff like that. Well for me I couldn't wait to see my family and friends. It's just stupid, but this thread isn't about the underage drinking habits of Australians.

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):

Thanks so much for the offer, I really appreciate it but I have to go to whoever's house they send me too and Tennessee wasn't high on my list of possible places.

No city like New York City

I understand that here probably is no city like NYC but is it really a good place to raise kids? Being in the heart of a city isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 5):
I would stay away from California.

I was planning on that, Cali as you say isn't as American as it gets, and thats kind of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. Please!

AA7295

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 1):
University of Texas - Austin, Texas

I would love to have gone to university there. Heard it is amazing.

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 6):
I understand that here probably is no city like NYC but is it really a good place to raise kids? Being in the heart of a city isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 5):
I would stay away from California.

I was planning on that, Cali as you say isn't as American as it gets, and thats kind of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. Please!

Well America has some of the best cities the world has to offer. Don't overestimate yourself. By and large Sydney people are pretty rude and inconsiderate (I SAID BY AND LARGE!!!), and I say this as an Australian who visits Sydney 4 times a year for holidays an work. So you would find most places in the States pleasant.

If you want somewhere really American but still city like, what about Atlanta, great airport for spotting. Beautiful city.

Charleston, South Carolina. on the east coast. Loved every bit of time I stayed there.

Columbus, Ohio. Amazing people, truly some of the nicest people I have met in the States.

What you have to remember is that, alot of the "country towns" aren't like the Broken Hills, Ballarats and Toowoombas we have in Australia. They are leaps and bounds more civilised, and what I mean is that they have better infastructure, more shopping etc.

Good luck with your voyage and don't be one of the crowd and live in places like NY, San Fran, LA. America is an amazing country, so be different and try a city uniquely American. Dare You.

AA7295

Chicago, Philadelphia, Nashville, Denver,

SQ325

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:45 pm

I would choose the Boston area as my east coast destination because it is a great city with very nice surroundings.
It is close to New York which is always worth a visit. There is a lot to see and do in the Bos area.

My west Coast destination would be the Bay Area or even downtown San Francisco.
But I would prefer the Area about 30 min north of the Golden Gate Bridge.
This is the Area I liked the best during my visits in the US. Nice and healthy environment very open minded people and a nice climate. By far the nicest US City I have been to!!

Arniepie

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Go for the Chicago area.
Nice city , lots to do , amazing skyline (if you go for a boat ride on the lake).
Numerous parks, excellent shopping, great atmosphere, good restaurants and nightlife, central location in N-America with great connection to the rest of the US and the world in general, fantastic biking routes outside the city and parallel to the lake, the house of blues, good musea, wrighley field, comminsky park, united center,.........................and sooo much more.

I resided from may 2000 till June 2001 in Oak Park and wouldn't mind going back.
If I ever have enough money I'll definately buy a permanent 2nd home , maybe if I'm lucky I can get my hands on one of
Frank Lloyd Wright's creations , lets hope for a continuing low price housing market.
[edit post]

L410Turbolet

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Cali as you say isn't as American as it gets, and thats kind of what I'm looking for.

Southwestern Idaho. You can't get more truly "American" (right-wing, religious, gun-toting and redneck) than that.  Wink

I'd like to go to somewhere with low crime rates, a fairly open city, friendly people, a decent airport for spotting and isn't too expensive to live, it needs to have fairly good weather too.

HNL???

6 month exchange program

What sort of exchange is it? High school? Don't they tend to send people to smaller, rural places/schools rather than big cities?

kmh1956

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 8):
I would choose the Boston area as my east coast destination because it is a great city with very nice surroundings.
It is close to New York which is always worth a visit. There is a lot to see and do in the Bos area.

I'd go a bit further north and head for New Hampshire or Vermont...beautiful scenery, seasonal changes (those gorgeous colors in fall!!), down-to-earth people......and if you want the city for a change, Boston's only about 2 hours away (depending on traffic and weather)
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

plateman

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Consider Washington, DC. This is where I am in college now and it has been great.

Whatever you want to study, most likely has a heavy presence here. Internships are easy to get, I have had two at possibly the most respected newspapers in DC. It is a big city, but a small city feel.

On your issues---crime rates are low near my school and if you are smart. For example, I did a police ride-along Saturday with the MPD and the officer just said if you're smart, you're for the most part safe.

It's also not that expensive to live here. I'm from NY, where what i stay in now, would be an extra couple hundred dollars.

My university, American University, actually has a program of bringing international students in. We have over 100 countries represented on campus. If you want more info on the program, please PM me.

I hope that helps!

Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Newark777

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:44 pm

If you don't want something too urban, you can try someplace out west, like Denver. The western US is beautiful, and there's lots to do if you're the kind of person that likes the outdoors (hiking, skiing, camping, etc.).

IFEMaster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:50 pm

I don't think you really can say one city is the "best" to visit. There are many cities, all unique and all have some great things to offer and all have some bad things to avoid. I'm almost certain that wherever you choose, you'll have a good time and enjoy what's on offer. Except for Boise. Avoid Boise. And realize that you will never get the complete "American" experience in just one city.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

DC10extender

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Well, for friendly people, by far the best place to go is Minnesota. But, there is almost nil chance of you wanting to go there so I would suggest the Bay Area.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

Newark777

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 14):
I don't think you really can say one city is the "best" to visit. There are many cities, all unique and all have some great things to offer and all have some bad things to avoid. I'm almost certain that wherever you choose, you'll have a good time and enjoy what's on offer. Except for Boise. Avoid Boise. And realize that you will never get the complete "American" experience in just one city.

It's very true. Keep in mind that The US is almost as big as Europe as a whole, so there is a wide range of places to go and see.

flymia

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:01 pm

If you want a real US experience and a city life I recommend Washington DC which is where I go to school its a great place. Nice clean and safe city at least any of the parts you would want to go near. Easy access to the N.E. by train to NYC,PHL,BOS quick flights out of DCA to ATL,MIA, Chicago. If not Washington DC than New York City a place I been more than 10 times it is great and again a real US city. I would always recommend my Hometown Miami also it is a great place but Miami is more like South America than the US. Washington DC is a great place to see the how living in the US is like. Whatever you do go to the east coast.
If you have to or want to do West Coast than do San Francisco, Seattle, LA. But the east coast will give you a much more "American" feel.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

rwsea

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:59 pm

First, I'm not sure what time of the year you would be here, so I should qualify with that.

That said, I'd recommend either Chicago or Washington DC. Both are the cities I think of most when I think of "typical America".

While Chicago is a huge city, it embodies a lot of what I think of when I think of "Americana" - such as skyscrapers, baseball, football, wide-open spaces (at least once you get out of the city), great food, friendly people. Basically all that embodies the midwest in a huge international metropolis. And as a younger person without access to a car, there's good public transit so you should be able to get around well. Would be a BAD choice in the winter though - Spring/Fall are best.

Washington DC would be another great choice. Obviously the government and all the museums are there, so you can learn a lot about American history. Great parks and neighborhoods, as well as an excellent public transit system. Plus you're so close to other cities like Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.

I would avoid Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston. None of these cities have much in the way of "uniquness" or "culture" that you couldn't find in any other big city in America. Plus they're all cities where it's tough (if not impossible) to get around without a car.

Of course I live on the West Coast and I think anywhere in Washington, Oregon, or California would be a good place to live. However, there is more history further East, and I don't know if Seattle, San Francisco, or Los Angeles would be the most unique coming from Australia. All are great cities, but they're newer and don't quite have the "Americana" you might be looking for. As another poster mentioned, these places might be a bit more like Sydney. Plus, they're far from everything else so you wouldn't be able to travel as cheaply/easily. That said, since you mentioned Seattle, the weather is actually really good if you're here between May-October. The rest of the year prepare for drizzle and about 10 degrees centigrade every day - same goes for Vancouver. Obviously there's lots of spotting and Boeing, but I don't think people here are that friendly. The other cities mentioned above are more international and might be a tad bit more welcoming.

STT757

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:38 pm

1.) Boston- History, great town for young people, it's not as crowded as NY, cultural institutions out the wazoo.
2.) Seattle- Great people, very friendly and laid back. Gorgeous scenery in and around the area.
3.) San Francisco- Great culture, nice weather, amazing scenery in and around the area.
4.) San Diego- perfect Weather, hot girls, perfect weather, hot girls etc.. (also good Mexican food).
5.) Santa Barbara California- beautiful location, between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Flighty

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:46 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):

Mountains, national parks, and small town America.

Camping, southern food, and a good time!

Tennessee is a GREAT place  Smile

Having traveled a good bit over the continents, I have to say the USA is a great place for travel. Every single state has cool things and experiences. Here are some examples:

Wyoming:
- Great skiing and shopping at Jackson Hole.
- Yellowstone National Park (80% in Wyoming).
- Flat ranch scenery, dude ranches
- Towns like Casper and Cody

Utah:
- Incredible scenery of Escalante National Monument
- Entire southern half is a scenery wonder of the world
- Interesting towns
- Great skiing

I could spend 3 weeks easily in just Wyoming and Utah, 2 of the emptiest states in the USA.

And then we have Alaska.
The Southern Delta region with famous cooking, zero tourism, real history. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama.
The wonderful Carolinas.
Maine and Northern New England. Sailing, maritime lore and scenery, great people.
St. Louis and Kansas City have great history, architecture and food.
Upper Peninsula of Michigan -- some Great Lakes wilderness, scenery, skiing, farm houses. Wildest area of the Eastern USA.
These are just a FEW random ideas.

My least favorite state is Florida, but even that has its charms (Miami, the Everglades, the Panhandle).

America has enough to fill at least a year of the tourist's time.

Flighty

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 19):
5.) Santa Barbara California- beautiful location, between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Weird, I was also going to say Santa Barbara. Everybody seems to love it.

aa757first

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:16 am

I don't think you really can say one city is the "best" to visit. There are many cities, all unique and all have some great things to offer and all have some bad things to avoid.

And realize that you will never get the complete "American" experience in just one city.

I agree with both of these statements. America is just too big and too diverse for us to have any one city that defines us. Rural Alaska, Hawaii and New York are all American places yet they're all incredibly different.

Southern California might be seen as "typical" America, depending on how you look at it. I would guess there are a lot of people from other parts of the country, making it very open. The area is also very suburban (where most of America lives) and the area is very dependent on freeways and cars, which is common throughout the country.

Why are you so concerned about the weather? I'd say you should try to experience the cold here in the Northeast. "BosWash" is a megalopolis that extends from Boston to Washington, D.C., which means it includes those two cities and New York, Philadelphia and many smaller cities. 15% of America lives in this area and it has a huge economic impact on America, with many companies headquartered there. It does get cold and it snows in the winter -- but the whole point would be to experience something different, right?

It would also be pretty easy for you to get around the area. I know tickets PHL to BOS can be gotten for under $100 round trip and I'm sure similar prices for IAD to BOS are available. There are also the (sometimes unsafe) "Chinatown" buses that run between New York, Washington and Philadelphia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown_bus
They're very cheap, but use them at your own risk.

I probably sound biased because I live in the Northeast and this region is America to me. Don't try looking for a representative city, because it just doesn't exist. You could rule out cities based on them being very different from the rest of America. I would consider this, off the top of my head, to be New York, Las Vegas and Miami. Even though they're iconic cities, they're extremely different from most other cities in America.

Good luck.

UAL747

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:21 am

I know there is a lot of bad publicity about Texas, BUT, if you could experience the better sides of Dallas, TX, I think you would find it very cultural, hip, urban, swanky, and full of beautiful people...."Dallas Blonds" in particular, if you are into that thing.

I went to SMU and the Highland Park, Uptown, and Turtlecreek Areas that surround SMU are absolutely to die for! So much shopping, eating, partying, you name it! Then if you want to experience the real "west" it's not too far out of Dallas.

I love Dallas and hope to relocate back there in the near future.

Good luck!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Dougloid

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:47 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 20):
America has enough to fill at least a year of the tourist's time.

You're understating it. I've lived here nearly sixty years and I'm not bored with it yet.

If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

nosedive

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 13):
If you don't want something too urban, you can try someplace out west, like Denver. The western US is beautiful, and there's lots to do if you're the kind of person that likes the outdoors (hiking, skiing, camping, etc.).

Damn New Yorkers ragging on my city again...

Personally, you live in a big city already, go somewhere smaller.

Chi-town

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:11 am

I guess the cliche answer would be New York City---even though i've never been there.

I encourage you to give Chicago a chance.

Very friendly midwestern people like myself  
Great food! (Chicago style hot dog and deep dish pizza)
Many attractions and parks. (Millennium Park and Grant Park with Buckingham Fountain)
You can spot at ORD and MDW
Lots of Museums
Sears Tower Sky Deck
North St. Beach (Depending on what time of year you are going)
Cubs, Sox, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks (Depending on the season)
You can ride the "L" mass transit system
Navy Pier
Great night life (Lincoln Park & Rush and Division St.) Just to name a few
The FREE Lincoln Park Zoo
Forgot to mention the "Taste of Chicago" (Massive food festival in July)

That's all the tip of the ice berg....

[Edited 2008-02-25 21:16:40]

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:14 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 25):
Damn New Yorkers ragging on my city again...

Urbanism, it's all relative.  Wink

It's ok though, I hail from across the river, where the sane people live.  Smile

runway23

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:54 am

If I had to personally pick a few cities to live in the US:

1) Boston
2) Bay Area (SF, etc...)
3) Seattle
4) NYC if I had deep pockets.

In terms of places to vacation I quite enjoy Phoenix, Ft Lauderdale (but not Miami) and Las Vegas.

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:57 am

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 28):
2) Bay Area (SF, etc...)

Might want to add your deep pockets disclaimer to this one as well.

runway23

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:15 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 29):
Might want to add your deep pockets disclaimer to this one as well.

The bay area isn't really where NYC is yet in terms of cost. Though I do agree it can be pricy in some areas (like most places).

csavel

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:15 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 11):
I'd go a bit further north and head for New Hampshire or Vermont...beautiful scenery, seasonal changes (those gorgeous colors in fall!!), down-to-earth people......and if you want the city for a change, Boston's only about 2 hours away (depending on traffic and weather)

Yeah and despite what people from the so-called "heartland" say the US was born here! (and in New York and Philly too) so if you really want to know the good and the bad, what makes America America you might as well start here. The fall colors are like no other place on earth, winters are cold though.
Given yoru criteria of relatively cheap and decent weather, alas that knocks out almost all of the US, other than California, it is either frigid in winter or unbearable (think Alice Springs with about 90% humidity) in summer. But relatively cheap and California don't mix.

i think Seattle is quite right for you. Plus even if it rains the rest of the year, they have the most glorious summers on the planet.

PS

Except for Boise. Avoid Boise

What's up w Boise, I mean it ain't Paris, but I infer that you think it is like East St. Louis or something. Seemed pleasant enough when I was there.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:22 am

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 30):
The bay area isn't really where NYC is yet in terms of cost. Though I do agree it can be pricy in some areas (like most places).

You're right, NY is still tops when it comes to high cost of living. Just out of curiosity, I found this interesting table (from '04-'05, but I assume still accurate):

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883960.html

nosedive

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:11 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 27):

Urbanism, it's all relative. Wink

It's ok though, I hail from across the river, where the sane people live. Smile

Still a damn New Yorker  Wink

Pyrex

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:19 am

What's that talk about raising kids? What exactly do you plan on doing in the US? Big grin

The city I currently live in, Boston, is a great place, I just don't know how it fits into your definition of good weather. It is at the same time a metropolitan and a suburban city - you can live in a nice low-house neighborhood and then just take the T (subway) and be downtown in 10-15 minutes. Great beaches and reasonable ski resorts nearby, too.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

misbeehavin

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:26 am

Atlanta qualifies for all of those (including the crime, if you stay away from certain parts of the city), except for spotting. I mean sure it is the busiest airport in the world, but the most exotic aircraft you're likely to see is the daily KE 747. Less than 20 airlines fly here, because it's all Delta, Delta and more Delta!

Elite

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 am

No city like New York City.

Couldn't of said it better myself  Smile You could never be bored with NYC. Great place to be.

QFA380
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:34 am

I have to say thanks to so many of you. I also understand that no city could ever come near giving me a complete American experience. I'm looking for somewhere that will give me an enjoyable experience that will be different to Australia.

Suggesting places I would have dissed without any thought.

So far some I've got some places:
Denver
Boston
Chicago
Washington D.C.
I was also thinking somewhere in Texas

Could you guys tell me some more about these places? What about Florida? What's it like?

I don't think I'm too interested in California just because of its similarity to Australia.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 10):
What sort of exchange is it? High school? Don't they tend to send people to smaller, rural places/schools rather than big cities?

It is just an exchange program, I have to write out an application which tells them what I am like, I also say where I would like to go. Then they send me application to families they think may like me, first they'll send it to families that are in or near the places that I said I would like to go. If none of them like me then they send it to places they think from my application I'd like to go.

I don't think they'd send me to the middle of a big city, probably the suburbs which is what I'd like.

BTW, for those suggesting colleges/universities, I'm about 2 years away from graduating High School here in Australia to whatever that compares to in the US I'm not sure but definitely not university. Maybe if this doesn't work out I'll try that when I finish school but for the moment it's just high school.

I'll also be there in the Autumn/Winter for you guys.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 34):
What's that talk about raising kids? What exactly do you plan on doing in the US?

Lol, that definitely brightened up my day!

Thanks guys and keep them coming!

syncmaster

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 am

Hands down, Chicago.

Although Seattle is amazing as well. Big grin

-Charlie  wave 

csavel

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:41 pm

So far some I've got some places:
Denver
haven't been in twenty years. Close to the Rockies so you'll get lots of winter sports, also close to the great plains so you can go storm chasing if you like.

Boston
Great city, very urban. Different form the rest of the US, different accent, more urban, you aren't chained to a car. Intellectuals and working class types from Dorchester.
Hint, say I love Bucky Dent and they'll buy you a beer and open their hearts to you. Also I love Eli Manning.
Winters are actually noticeably colder than New York just down the coast and that could be a factor for your thin Australian blood  Wink

Chicago
Another great city. Friendly, city of broad shoulders. Winters are *very* cold. But I think this is almost as urban and esciting as New York without busting a budget.

Washington D.C.
High crime, a company town. I lived there for two years, and I don't know whether or not you'll get a true taste of the US. Nice place to visit but for a cultural exchange for six months, naaah.

I was also thinking somewhere in Texas
Austin is fun they have a bridge where a million bats roost. it is a tourist attraction. Good music great alternative scene. But still very Texan in a good way.
Note however Texas is to heat what Greenland is to cold. Houston in July is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It isn't just the heat, Australia has that, it is the utterly oppressive humidity from the Gulf of Mexico. Sorry Houston people its the truth.

Could you guys tell me some more about these places? What about Florida? What's it like?

I friggin' hate Florida with all my soul. Sure nice for a winter vacation, but plastic people, malled out, unbearably hot and humid in the summer with rain *every day* , fundie wackos in the panhandle, and frankly snotty people with an incredible sense of entitlement the entire state.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

mbmbos

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 pm

How about Santa Fe and the north central area of New Mexico?

Not much urban life, but you have an interesting blend of Native American, Hispanic and Anglo cultures. The region has been an art colony for the past hundred years and you'll find plenty of activities in arts and music. Furthermore, you will be exposed to absolutely stunning scenery. New Mexico is mostly high altitude desert, although it's more verdant than Arizona. Landscape varies from red clay bluffs, black mesas and the Rocky Mountains (specifically, the Sangre de Cristo range). If you have any interest in archeology, there is a wealth of active digs and national parks in the area.

I'm partial to this area because it's where I grew up.

Boeing4ever

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Well if your in the mood for low prices and very interactive people...

Compton, CA. But you're trying to avoid California.
Camden, NJ...beautiful town.
Gary, IN...midwestern charm, and many historic steel mills.
Detroit, MI...nothing like the home of the American Auto Industry.

I also recommend the historic Cabrini Green neighborhood in Chicago. People there are VERY engaging.

Wink

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Dougloid

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 27):
It's ok though, I hail from across the river, where the sane people live.

Correct. 777, didja know that the correct terminology for we'uns is Jerseymen? It is true as any fan of Henry Charlton Beck can relate. I grew up in central Jersey. People still say I have an accent even though I left when I was 28. That was in 1977. People often say this when I ask them "Where ya from?"

Here's the real deal for all you people in Manhattan.

The prevailing winds blow from west to east. That means that in the spring when the LCN guys who've disappeared over the winter float to the surface of the Hudson they blow over to the Manhattan side. It also means that you'uns don't get to breathe it until we'uns are done with it.

Wink  Wink  Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Chi-town

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 41):
Well if your in the mood for low prices and very interactive people...

Compton, CA. But you're trying to avoid California.
Camden, NJ...beautiful town.
Gary, IN...midwestern charm, and many historic steel mills.
Detroit, MI...nothing like the home of the American Auto Industry.

I also recommend the historic Cabrini Green neighborhood in Chicago. People there are VERY engaging.

Haha! Nice----Gary is the topper in that one! I have to agree beautiful and scenic!  Wink Can't forget the home of Michael Jackson.

Newark777

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 42):
I have an accent even though I left when I was 28.

I've had people from the west say I have an accent, and that I talk too fast. Never thought I have an accent compared to some people here, but who knows.  Smile

As for your your trip, I would also suggest buying a travel book such as Frommers USA. They have a wealth of information.

B747forever

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:39 pm

How about Los Angeles??? A really great city.
Work Hard, Fly Right

AGM100

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Best places to stay in the US .. ? Away !  stirthepot 
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

soon7x7

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Pamala Andersons' house!

allstarflyer

Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:46 pm

I want to experience some of the culture, meet friendly people and have a fun time

Only one place to go: couchsurfing.com

Wink

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 26):
Great food! (Chicago style hot dog and deep dish pizza)

Don't forget the Italian beef.  drool 

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 37):
Thanks guys and keep them coming!

No problem.  Wink
Living the American Dream

aa757first

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 pm

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 37):

Florida has a lot of contrasts. I've never been to the Northern part of it, but I'm told its much more like the South.

South Florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach and the area in between) is not much like the South. Miami has a very large Hispanic population, mostly made of immigrants (Miami has more foreign born residents than any other city in the world). That makes Miami a lot different than the rest of the United States.

Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach start, to me at least, feel a little more like the Northeast. Those areas are less diverse than Miami, but some areas (like Boca Raton) have large Jewish populations. The whole area has a lot of people from other places, especially snowbirds from the Northeast. It rains often, but never a lot and usually for a short time. Its obviously warm year round.

Maybe this will help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida_metropolitan_area