mdsh00

GOP Already Starting Its Obama Smear Campaign

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:46 am

Check out this video:

When will the GOP get it that Americans are tired of this petty fearmongering bullshit? This rep is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen.

His point doesn't even make sense. "We are bringing it up but only because the left doesn't like it." What?? Way to go for childish tactics.  Yeah sure

[Edited 2008-02-28 22:12:29]
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Continental

RE: GOP Already Starting Its Obama Smear Campaign

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:05 am

It's rather distasteful. He can go ahead and say that mentioning Barack's middle name and such is all fun and games, but the truth is, there are a lot of uneducated people in the US that will associate Barack with a middle easterner.

HALFA

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:15 am

I find it ironic that the Congressman from Georgia is upset that Obama's health care plan is estimated to cost us tax payers 65 Billion, yet he doesn't seem to mind that the illegal war in Iraq has cost us 2 TRILLION. I'm glad his priorities are in order.  Yeah sure
And he's got alot of nerve ripping on Obama for not wearing a US flag lapel pin when he's not wearing one himself. What a hippocrate. I mean hypocrite.  Smile

HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:23 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
When will the GOP get it that Americans are tired of this petty fearmongering bullshit? This rep is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen.

I got about 20 seconds into this video before I had turn it off. While it was over the top with the Hussein thing, what is the big deal with saying his middle name? Questioning his patriotism is the least of his negatives. His empty words of "inspiration" sounds great when he's immitating JFK, but when his whole campaign is nothing but platitudes and colourful anecdotes, I think many of the uninformed people who blindly throw their support at this guy will probably reconsider when it comes time to pull the handle, or punch the punchcard.
Made from jets!

Elite

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 am

I don't see the problem with saying Obamas middle name over and over. What is wrong with it? All the things mentioned in the video are true, none of it was made up and it certainly does raise questions about his patriotism.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 2):
And he's got alot of nerve ripping on Obama for not wearing a US flag lapel pin when he's not wearing one himself. What a hippocrate. I mean hypocrite.

I believe Obama refused to wear one, not just didn't wear one. And when you are a presidential candidate I think that flag pin is important.

mdsh00

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 3):
While it was over the top with the Hussein thing, what is the big deal with saying his middle name?

It is a big deal because it is done intentionally in order to put into voters (especially the uninformed voters) minds that "oh my God he's a Muslim!" I've heard something along these lines at least a couple of times. Do you hear opponents normally calling Hillary as "Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton" every time they mention her name? Or why is it that nobody constantly refers to him as "John Sidney McCain III?" There is a definite reason they keep saying and emphasizing "Barack Hussein Obama" ad nauseum. By saying "what's the big deal?" means that you are either in denial or you don't get it (I am guessing the former).
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

HALFA

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:36 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 3):
I think many of the uninformed people who blindly throw their support at this guy will probably reconsider when it comes time to pull the handle

Yes Jack, us Obama supporters are just a bunch of uninformed, uneducated morons that will support any pretty face with good lines. We wouldn't possibly want to vote for him based on his stance on issues.  Yeah sure
Your rhetoric is getting old, and insinuating that his supporters are uneducated and ignorant does nothing to support your cause.

Pathetic.

andessmf

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:48 am

You guys (and the GOP) are waaaay late to thi game.

"Former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey endorsed Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton for president Sunday but stirred a continuing controversy by noting her chief rival's name is "Barack Hussein Obama" and that Obama had Muslim ancestors."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004077664_obama17.html

"Are the American people ready for an elected president who was educated in a Madrassa as a young boy and has not been forthcoming about his Muslim heritage?

This is the question Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s camp is asking about Sen. Barack Obama."

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/Obama_2.htm

BTW, that last article is from Jan. 2007.

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:12 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 6):
Obama supporters are just a bunch of uninformed, uneducated morons that will support any pretty face with good lines. We wouldn't possibly want to vote for him based on his stance on issues.
Your rhetoric is getting old, and insinuating that his supporters are uneducated and ignorant does nothing to support your cause.

Where did I put the word "uneducated? I'm talking about people, regardless of their education, who have no idea what this guy has accomplished and just blindly vote this guy without knowing one single thing this has done. That's my biggest beef with this guy. Not his race, his name, his religious ties, it's the fact that virtually no one can tell me or anyone else, what this guy has accomplished. That's pathetic, borderline a joke. I find your insertion of uneducated very telling about you're kneejerk defense of someone who's main source of public record is Wikipedia.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 5):
It is a big deal because it is done intentionally in order to put into voters (especially the uninformed voters) minds that "oh my God he's a Muslim!" I've heard something along these lines at least a couple of times

Well, it was Hillary's campaign and her surrogates which has inflicted most of the insults at Obama, including the Somali/Muslim garb, and the Hussein thing. John McCain repudiated the comments by Billy Cuningham and is distancing himself by those who use Obama's middle name..

[Edited 2008-02-28 23:14:56]
Made from jets!

HALFA

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:47 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 8):
it's the fact that virtually no one can tell me or anyone else, what this guy has accomplished.

Ok, let's start here:

Education:

Graduate of Punahou School. Most Prestigious primary learning facility in the state of Hawaii

BA in political science (with a specialization in international relations) from Columbia University.

JD Graduate of Harvard Law School (Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude).

President of the Harvard Law Review (the first ever African American).

Experience:

Civil rights attorney (turned down a prestigious judicial clerkship)

Constitutional law professor.

Community organizer.

State Senator.

Chairman of the Illinois State Senate Health and Human Services Committee.

US Senator.

Member of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Environment and Public Works Committee, and Veterans ' Affairs Committee.

Author.

Husband and father of two daughters.

Board member of the Joyce Foundation, the Woods Fund of Chicago, and the Chicago Annenberg Challenge.

Honors:

Grammy award winner (Spoken Word category).

Honored by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (for narration of one of his books).

Honorary doctor of laws degree from the University of Massachusetts Boston (for among other things, "advancing and protecting the interests of the less fortunate")

And most importantly, was steadfast in his opposition of the illegal invasion of Iraq from the start. One of the few Senators with the courage to vote his conscience, and one of the few Senators that was intelligent enough to understand that our real enemy was not in Baghdad but in the mountainous border region of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I'd say he is very accomplished.

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:54 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):

Wonderfools, I mean wonderful. Now why can't this average supporter point out at least one of the things listed on here off the top of their head. Oh well, when they stop fainting......................
Made from jets!

HOMER71

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Gee, I guess not all of the GOP is down with the smear campaign

Republicans decry use of 'Hussein' in Obama's name

So, Obama supporter(s), are there any issues that we can criticize him without being a smear campaign and offending you  Yeah sure

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):
Honors:

Well, that qualifies him to be our next president...thanks for the scoop!
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Platypus

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:25 pm

When will the GOP get it that Americans are tired of this petty fearmongering bullshit?

You figure, we conservatives, would have learned from the antics of Hilary Clinton.

Mdsh00,
What are your feelings regarding Hilary Clinton's smear campaign against Barrack Obama?

[Edited 2008-02-29 04:40:22]
Don't Block the Shot

Falcon84

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 4):
I believe Obama refused to wear one, not just didn't wear one. And when you are a presidential candidate I think that flag pin is important.

We're really going down the toilet, and looking for non-issues, when THAT becomes important.  Yeah sure
Work Right, Fly Hard

AirCop

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 4):

Just the type of voters JetJack was talking about, except on the other side.

What has McCain really accomplished except of course being a POW which I sorry does not automatically qualifies one to be president? Some of us in Arizona are curiosity since we never see him hence the label (R-Media).

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:57 pm

It is a big deal because it is done intentionally in order to put into voters (especially the uninformed voters) minds that "oh my God he's a Muslim!"

Idunno what's worse, people believing he's bad because of his middle name, or people believing he's good because he offers "hope" and "change" and "changing hope" and "hopeful change" and any other variation of those two words without anything backing it up.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):

Oh well now that you mention that sign me up! Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

LH423

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 4):
And when you are a presidential candidate I think that flag pin is important.

Why? How does one wearing a flag pin on his lapel make him any more patriotic? In fact, if you look back, the lapel wasn't nearly as prevalent as it was after 9/11. But, after that fateful day flag waving ad nauseum was the order of the day. Which, is fine. However, I'm not going to base my judgement of a candidate on whether or not he wears a half inch by quarter inch flag on his blazer. There are more important things.

Quoting Elite (Reply 4):
I don't see the problem with saying Obamas middle name over and over. What is wrong with it?

So from now one I want to see you ONLY refer to the other candidates by their full names? If his middle name were "John" do you think anyone would mention his middle name...ever?

Most people don't even know Sen. McCain's middle name or Sen. Clinton's middle names. I didn't.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Pope

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
We're really going down the toilet, and looking for non-issues, when THAT becomes important.

This from the guy who pokes fun of the sitting president when he tried to open a locked door at a press conference. The hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

PacNWjet

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Lyndon Baines Johnson, Richard Milhous Nixon, and William Jefferson Clinton would all be appalled that Barack Obama's middle name has been mentioned  sarcastic 

max999

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 4):
I don't see the problem with saying Obamas middle name over and over. What is wrong with it?

It's obvious to most people that repeatedly saying his middle name, Hussein, is an attempt to subconsciously scare Americans into thinking he's either related to Saddam or he is a Muslim Trojan Horse. There's only a negative intent in saying Barack's middle name; that's what wrong with it.

And if you don't believe that's the reason why it's being said, then you must be deluding yourself.

[Edited 2008-02-29 08:17:33]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

mt99

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
offers "hope" and "change" and "changing hope" and "hopeful change" and any other variation of those two words without anything backing it up.

People want "change" from exactly this kind of crap. Change from fear mongering, from "freedom" fries, from "you are with u or against us" shtick.
Step into my office, baby

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 20):
People want "change" from exactly this kind of crap. Change from fear mongering, from "freedom" fries, from "you are with u or against us" shtick.

Clearly...they just don't care about the details or reality Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

mt99

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 21):
Clearly...they just don't care about the details or reality Silly

Reality? How real is it that just because your middle name is "Hussein" you are automatically a terrorist? I give you enough credit to understand than that is what exactly these people are trying to imply (please don't prove me wrong)

I would hate to find out what is it implied if your name happens to be "George"

Maybe people are just so sick of it that they are willing to take a leap of fate and a risk. People are saying: The same or some thing different.

They are in essence saying "ANYTHING, ANYTHING is better than this!"

andessmf

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:07 pm

WTF?

If American people were overtly concerned about his middle name, which BTW everyone here seems to know about, Obama would not be on top.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 20):

Or anything related to the 'Clinton' name.

PacNWjet

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 22):
They are in essence saying "ANYTHING, ANYTHING is better than this!"

The German people were saying that about the status quo circa 1932, too. And before anyone accuses me of comparing Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler, that is not my intent. The point is that wanting some vague notion of "change" is lacking any specificity about the content of that change. Seems like an emotional response to the status quo rather than an intellectual one.

mt99

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 23):

Or anything related to the 'Clinton' name.

Clinton gets thrown into the same ball of "past". For completely different reasons.

mt99

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 24):
Seems like an emotional response to the status quo rather than an intellectual one.

Well yea.. how many times have the republicans brought up 9/11 and security issues?

Honestly, Is it intended to provoke an emotional response from the voters or an intellectual one?

slider

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):
Education:

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):
Experience:

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):
Author.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):
Honors:

Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):

Those aren't accomplishments, that is merely his resume and profile.

What has he DONE that qualifies him to run the country? Can anyone name a singular accomplishment he has insfoar as being an elected official?

There's no denying he's smart, but hell, like Buckley once said, I'd much rather pick at random the first 100 people in the Boston phone book.

Don't mistake credentials or shingles on the wall for ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

AirCop

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 27):
What has he DONE that qualifies him to run the country? Can anyone name a singular accomplishment he has insfoar as being an elected official?

On the other hand, what accomplishments of McCain or Nader that qualifies him to run the country? Or even what accomplishments did Bush have prior to becoming President? Meanwhile anyone else noticed the joke that Nader picked as a running mate?

mt99

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 26):
Honestly, Is it intended to provoke an emotional response from the voters or an intellectual one?

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 24):
Seems like an emotional response to the status quo rather than an intellectual one.

Both parties are banking on emotional responses. Republicans are using "Fear", Obama is using "Hope".

"Fear" and "Hope" are both just as real.

itsonlyme

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:31 pm

Well, since the short time hes been in the senate, he has authored/introduced Lugar-Obama, which expands on Nunn-Lugar, to do with rounding up loose weapons of mass destruction in former Soviet states. Also Obama-Coburn, which led to usaspending.gov, and lists all organisations receiving federal funds. There was also Hagel-Obama to do with nuclear terrorism, a portion of which was adopted. He has also co-sponsered numerous bills, including with McCain on immigration and the environment, and on Iran, on veterans benefits and childrens healthcare amongst others. Thats over the last few years, not counting what he did in the Illinois legislature.

RJdxer

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 2):
I find it ironic that the Congressman from Georgia is upset that Obama's health care plan is estimated to cost us tax payers 65 Billion,

If you actually believe it will only cost 65 billion dollars have I got some good land in Florida for you! It's a little damp but other than that it's close to the shore.

It is a big deal because it is done intentionally in order to put into voters (especially the uninformed voters) minds that "oh my God he's a Muslim!"

Yes, as liberals believe, there are some people that are just too stupid to vote the right way.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 6):
Yes Jack, us Obama supporters are just a bunch of uninformed, uneducated morons that will support any pretty face with good lines.

Yet you insinuate that there are people out there that will vote that way and by using his middle name someone is throwing a fear bomb out there.

Quoting Pope (Reply 17):
This from the guy who pokes fun of the sitting president when he tried to open a locked door at a press conference. The hypocrisy.

My thoughts exactly. By the way, have you noticed during the debates Falcon that outside of a script, he has a tendency to stutter and stammer while looking for the right answer quite a bit? Considering how you have vilified the current President over his speaking abilities, I would think that this would have serious negative consequences on you supporting him.

Quoting Slider (Reply 27):
Quoting HALFA (Reply 9):

Those aren't accomplishments, that is merely his resume and profile.

Correct. Again the democratic party is nominating someone who has never really had to run a business, in other words, be a chief executive.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 28):
Or even what accomplishments did Bush have prior to becoming President?

At least he was in charge of a few businesses and had the experience of running Texas. Obama's resume is seriously lacking in this area.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Quoting Itsonlyme (Reply 30):
Well, since the short time hes been in the senate, he has authored/introduced Lugar-Obama, which expands on Nunn-Lugar, to do with rounding up loose weapons of mass destruction in former Soviet states. Also Obama-Coburn, which led to usaspending.gov, and lists all organisations receiving federal funds. There was also Hagel-Obama to do with nuclear terrorism, a portion of which was adopted. He has also co-sponsered numerous bills, including with McCain on immigration and the environment, and on Iran, on veterans benefits and childrens healthcare amongst others. Thats over the last few years, not counting what he did in the Illinois legislature.

Very good. But the point is, many of his supporters don't have a clue of what Obama, and are blindly throwing their vote at him, simply by what he says in a speech.
I recall a few people on here with signatures of something to the effect, questioning the intellegence of America because we voted in George Bush for a 2nd term. Well, coupled with the fact many people supporting Obama haven't a clue of Obama's record, it seems stupidity runs in the opposite direction.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 18):
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Lyndon Baines Johnson, Richard Milhous Nixon, and William Jefferson Clinton would all be appalled that Barack Obama's middle name has been mentioned

or William Howard Taft, who used his middle name in everything
Made from jets!

AirCop

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 31):
Again the democratic party is nominating someone who has never really had to run a business,

Ditto the Republican party, McCain never ran a business, and being a POW doesn't automatically qualify one to be president.

At least he was in charge of a few businesses and had the experience of running Texas.

All his oil businesses were failures, and Texas has only a part-time legislature (same applies to Carter/Clinton) not the same experience that President RR had, running a state with a full-time legislature during the anti-war movement, that kept him busy.

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:58 pm

There would be no attention or objection if his middle name were Bill or George (or any damn thing but Sue). But because it's Hussein - and everyone knows about Saddam, extremists, and all that - and the manner in which it's being "advertised," it's being used as a form of provocation by some fear-worshipping Republicans. It's sad.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 34):
All his oil businesses were failures,

The businesses were failures becuase the oil market to a nosedive. You may remember we had this little thing known as an energy crisis. If you're going to shit on the character of someone, at least be honest about it.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 35):
But because it's Hussein - and everyone knows about Saddam, extremists, and all that - and the manner in which it's being "advertised," it's being used as a form of provocation by some fear-worshipping Republicans. It's sad.

Uhh Pearson, it was former Democratic Senator Bob Kerrey who first brought it up last year. Furthermore, the Republican National Committee just put a gag order the use on Obama's middle name by candidates and party members.
Made from jets!

andessmf

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Obama is quickly becoming the default candidate. Hillary has always had a love/hate relationship with the American public; people either loved her or hated her. If she were the candidate, watch out for people to vote just to make certain she doesn't get the vote, from EITHER party.

Ditto for McCain, he is also carrying a bit of baggage around.

This leaves Obama as the better candidate of all frontrunners out there.

dvk

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:20 pm

At least he was in charge of a few businesses and had the experience of running Texas

Yeah, running businesses UNSUCCESSFULLY, and being governor of a state that is run by the legislature, with the governor having very little authority.

To say that Bush's business ventures failed solely because of the energy crisis is truly loyalty at its blindest, Jetjack!

[Edited 2008-02-29 10:25:01]
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

AirCop

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:22 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 36):
You may remember we had this little thing known as an energy crisis.

The energy crisis of the early 70's were behind us when the President started his first oil business in 1978, if fact oil prices nose-dived, which meant no shortage at all during that time. Well, then Harken (with his Dad's help) purchased the firm and we know how that turned out. Again no energy shortage or crisis during that time either.

Perhaps, you shouldn't try to rewrite history..

[Edited 2008-02-29 10:24:39]

RJdxer

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:23 pm

Ditto the Republican party, McCain never ran a business, and being a POW doesn't automatically qualify one to be president.

Nor did I say he did. It doesn't change the fact I stated.

All his oil businesses were failures, and

All west Texas oil businesses were failing then. Oil prices were severely depressed world wide. You do remember gas for less than a buck right? Now we have a rig set up just down the street from us. It does not change the fact that he has experience running a business where as Obama has none.

Texas has only a part-time legislature

The Governor is a full time position.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

AirCop

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 41):
The Governor is a full time position.

In Texas with little authority..

You do remember gas for less than a buck right?

I sure hope so, when I started to drive gas was 26 cents a gallon.

It does not change the fact that he has experience running a business where as Obama has none.

Wonder why his experience with the Carlyle Group never shows up on his resume?
George W. Bush, current U.S. President. Was appointed in 1990 to the Board of Directors of one of Carlyle's first acquisitions, an airline food business called Caterair, which Carlyle eventually sold at a loss. Bush left the board in 1992 to run for Governor of Texas. Now if you read the book the House of Saud, Bush was pushed out of Carlyle (by some of his father's friends) because he was lazy and a poor business man.

bagpiper

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 7):
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s

Sen. Barack Obama

Does NOBODY see the irony here?? Sure, that is her maiden name... but why not just call her what her name is... Hillary Clinton.

Sure, the Republicans are purposefully saying Barack's middle name - and yes, I find it hilarious that the left gets their diapers in a wad over it.

I'd think most people would have realized that this type of stuff goes on no matter what.

Remember Kerry and "George W. Bush - George WRONG Bush! W. stands for WRONG!!"??

Quoting LH423 (Reply 16):
Most people don't even know Sen. McCain's middle name or Sen. Clinton's middle names. I didn't.

Welcome to earth, hope you enjoy your stay.

mdsh00

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Quoting Platypus (Reply 12):

Mdsh00,
What are your feelings regarding Hilary Clinton's smear campaign against Barrack Obama?

I think it's bullshit too and I definitely lost a lot of respect for her because of that.

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 40):
The energy crisis of the early 70's were behind us when the President started his first oil business in 1978, if fact oil prices nose-dived, which meant no shortage at all during that time. Well, then Harken (with his Dad's help) purchased the firm and we know how that turned out. Again no energy shortage or crisis during that time either.

Wrong, the negative impact on the oil market went on for years after the initial crisis produced price declines THROUGHOUT the 1970's, which were further exacerbated by over-production, coupled with the 1979 energy crisis from the Nov 1978 strike by oil workers at Iran's gov't run oil fields and refineries and the fall of the Iranian gov't during the 1979 Islamic Revolution. The massive unstability in the market over the better part of a decade that killed oil investor stocks well in to the 1980's with OPEC nations producing a glut by 1981. The fact the oil market was consistantly unstable since 1972 until 1982 made the oil business unprofitible until the mid 1980's where it was only marginally profitble. The Iraqi invasion quashed oil profits after 2 years of sustained, stable growth

Quoting AirCop (Reply 40):
Perhaps, you shouldn't try to rewrite history..

Perhaps you following your own advise would relieve you of that foot-in-mouth disease
Made from jets!

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 22):
Reality? How real is it that just because your middle name is "Hussein" you are automatically a terrorist? I give you enough credit to understand than that is what exactly these people are trying to imply (please don't prove me wrong

The Hussein bit is nonsense and no one is biting. The problem is all that "change" and "hope" he's promising is populist fluff. Granted all politicians promise things they can't deliver for votes (see below) but Obama takes it to a whole new universe of puppy dogs and rainbows.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 22):
Maybe people are just so sick of it that they are willing to take a leap of fate and a risk. People are saying: The same or some thing different

I think voters are too dumb to know what they're signing up for.
E pur si muove -Galileo

andessmf

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:25 pm

The oil bust in Texas occurred in the early 80's.

jetjack74

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 42):
Wonder why his experience with the Carlyle Group never shows up on his resume?
George W. Bush, current U.S. President. Was appointed in 1990 to the Board of Directors of one of Carlyle's first acquisitions, an airline food business called Caterair, which Carlyle eventually sold at a loss. Bush left the board in 1992 to run for Governor of Texas. Now if you read the book the House of Saud, Bush was pushed out of Carlyle (by some of his father's friends) because he was lazy and a poor business man.

Cherry picking Wikipedia AirCop? Especially a section that is open to tampering by anonymous posters. Why don't we discuss the many political figures that served on the Board of Directors such as former British PM John Major, and former Clinton Administration commision chairmen Bill Kennard and Art Levitt who held various posts at the Carlyle Group.
Made from jets!

mt99

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):
I think voters are too dumb to know what they're signing up for.

Voters put Bush in office too. Are you suggesting democracy is overrated?