jfk69

Jewish Seminary In Jerusalem Attacked

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 pm

From CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/06/mideast/index.html

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Several people were killed Thursday in what Israeli police are calling a "severe terrorist attack" at a Jewish seminary in Jerusalem.

Ambulance workers put one of the casualties from the seminary attack into an ambulance.

1 of 3 Video from the scene showed a frantic crowd of rescue workers carrying bloodied victims into ambulances. Dozens of police officers were scouring the campus and surrounding streets.

Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said: "They opened fire on innocent youngsters studying. A number of students have been killed.

"We are still searching the building for the possibility of a second terrorist still in the building." Watch the immediate aftermath of the attack »

CNN's Ben Wedeman in Gaza reported celebratory shooting shortly after the attack.

An ambulance spokesman told CNN eight people died in the attack. A police spokesman said one attacker was dead. It was not immediately clear if the dead attacker was included in the casualty figures put out by the ambulance service.

In the minutes after the attack the reported number of wounded varied from six to 35."

My wifes cousin is a teacher there and we know he made it out OK. We are waiting to hear more from him.

I say we blow Gaza away. You can't beat terrorists with diplomacy, only with what they know.

fumanchewd

RE: Jewish Seminary In Jerusalem Attacked

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:53 pm

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, though Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group "blesses the heroic operation in Jerusalem, which was a natural reaction to the Zionist massacre."

Its interesting that a student with a rifle shot one of the terrorists in the head from a nearby rooftop.

Yitzhak Dadon, a student, said he was armed with a rifle and was able to shoot one of the attackers from the roof of a nearby building. "He came out of the library spraying automatic fire. ... The terrorist came to the entrance and I shot him twice in the head," he said.

[Edited 2008-03-06 12:54:24]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

andessmf

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:11 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 1):
Its interesting that a student with a rifle shot one of the terrorists in the head from a nearby rooftop.

My understanding is that Israel is filled with armed security guards.

Quoting JFK69 (Thread starter):
CNN's Ben Wedeman in Gaza reported celebratory shooting shortly after the attack.

Nice people... sarcastic 

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 2):
Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 1):

I believe that in the settlements most men carry guns. I don't believe that's true in Jerusalem though.

The article did state "student" not guard, although the press has been known to get things wrong.  Smile

RacingGreen07

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Nice people... sarcastic

Can bullets speak? How can you define celebratory shooting? It's a war zone out there what a journalist can mistake for so called "celebratory shooting" can also be from an actual gunfight.

May those who perished, rest in peace....

Regards.

[Edited 2008-03-06 13:19:49]
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

RacingGreen07

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:21 pm

I say we blow Gaza away.

But risk taking innocent civilians in the process? Surely there is another way...
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

KL773ER

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:24 pm

I just heard about it a few minutes ago and is sad news. May truth and justice prevail over the attackers. My tefillot (prayers) go out to the families.

-KL

RJAF

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 pm

I say we blow Gaza away

Why would someone living thousands of miles away want to see poor and starving Gaza blown away? I think they have already suffered too much.

Israel has massacred 125 Gazans and many of them were children. Is Palestinian blood cheaper than Jewish blood? Israel should understand that it is still a brutal occupying nation. What goes around comes around...
Chance favors the prepared mind

TheCol

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Especially in Jerusalem.

This is obviously an attempt to derail the peace talks. It is sad that there are people who will try and plunge the region into conflict and bloodshed at the expense of innocents.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 7):
Israel should understand that it is still a brutal occupying nation.

I don't understand. Occupying gaza? Or was that statement in regard to their existence in the region?

And it continues with an attack on an Israeli military patrol and a crew that went to the rescue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23498545/

Its a nasty cycle.

RJAF

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 9):
don't understand. Occupying gaza? Or was that statement in regard to their existence in the region?

Israel has the right to exist alongside a viable Palestinian state. That's the only way to have peace in my opinion. Everyone has suffered too much.

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 10):
Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 9):
don't understand. Occupying gaza? Or was that statement in regard to their existence in the region?

Israel has the right to exist alongside a viable Palestinian state. That's the only way to have peace in my opinion. Everyone has suffered too much.

I agree. I just didn't know that Israel was occupying Gaza. They certainly have a controversial blockade, but I thought it is Hamas occupied now.

jcs17

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 10):

That would be the logical thing. However, for groups like Hamas and Fatah, the only thing they want is to push Israel into the sea.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

RJAF

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 11):
I just didn't know that Israel was occupying Gaza

No, not lately. Instead of occupation, Gaza is probably worse off with an almost total blockade. Controled borders, closed sea port, a destroyed and closed airport etc... Gaza is like a big prison. Hamas' radical views also don't help the situation. Religious zealots and hardliners on both sides are the obstacles to peace.

N1120A

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:33 pm

I say we blow Gaza away.

And continue with the same vicious cycle of mutual terrorism? No thanks.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

NAV20

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:56 pm

I say we blow Gaza away.

What does it have to do with Gaza, JFK69?

The attack occurred in West Jerusalem and early indications are that it was carried out by an offshoot of Hezbollah - and is claimed to be revenge for last month's assassination of Imad Mughnieh, who was Lebanese but was living in Syria. There appears to be no reason to connect it with Gaza in any way.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...story/0,25197,23334391-601,00.html

Israel's problem is with the whole of the Middle East. Gaza is only a tiny, almost inconsiderable, part of that problem.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

qr332

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:15 pm

Yet another act of unneeded violence, but to be honest it was hard not to see this one coming, with the blockade and recent bombing in Gaza. This attack was a direct result of Israel's recent policies, and it just goes to show that collective punishment does nothing but make more enemies for Israel.

I say we blow Gaza away. You can't beat terrorists with diplomacy, only with what they know.

Over a hundred Gazans, a third of which are children, were killed over the past week. I don't see you calling for Tel Aviv to be bombed. But, I guess Palestinian blood is worth less than Jewish blood to you.

Nice people...

I'm sure they won't exactly be mourning when Israel has been bombing the hell out of Gaza for the past week.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

dtwclipper

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting QR332 (Reply 16):
This attack was a direct result of Israel's recent policies

Which of course is a direct result of the missiles being fired into Israel, which is a direct result of....and so on and so on and so on...
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

scbriml

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:41 pm

I say we blow Gaza away.

Ah, the enlightened approach to the World's problems. Were you equally upset at Israel killing over 120 Palestinians in the last few days? Ah, they were "dealing" with terrorists firing rockets, which led to the Israeli incursion, which led to this attack, which will lead to another Israeli reprisal, which will lead to... Repeat ad infinitum.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 11):
I just didn't know that Israel was occupying Gaza. They certainly have a controversial blockade, but I thought it is Hamas occupied now.

The Israelis just pay a brief visit now and again and kill a few Palestinians. Which leads to a Palestinian retaliation, which inevitably leads to an Israeli revenge attack, which leads to... Repeat ad infinitum.

There's a bit of a pattern if you look hard enough.

This attack can hardly have come as a surprise to anyone. Really.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

andessmf

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:23 am

I'm sure they won't exactly be mourning when Israel has been bombing the hell out of Gaza for the past week.

Should we count how many rockets Hamas has been sending over to Israel for months now?

Falcon84

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:01 am

Quoting RJAF (Reply 7):
Why would someone living thousands of miles away want to see poor and starving Gaza blown away? I think they have already suffered too much.

Israel has massacred 125 Gazans and many of them were children. Is Palestinian blood cheaper than Jewish blood? Israel should understand that it is still a brutal occupying nation. What goes around comes around...

Yet another act of unneeded violence, but to be honest it was hard not to see this one coming

You see the reasons, right in these answers, why peace may be impossible. Instead of condemnation and "let's stop this slaughter of civilians on BOTH sides", we get "what goes around comes around and "but to be honest it was hard not to see this one coming."

Seems like the people in the region don't WANT to stop the vicious cycle. It's endless, and it seems no one ever gets enough of it, despite their protestations otherwise.

Instead of "what goes around comes around", RJAF, how about "let's stop this nonsense once and for all!". Or is that asking too much?
Work Right, Fly Hard

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:05 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):

Seems like the people in the region don't WANT to stop the vicious cycle. It's endless, and it seems no one ever gets enough of it, despite their protestations otherwise.

I agree 100% here. Children are bred to hate one side or the other. So when they grow up it's second nature to them. It reminds me of the KKK assholes in the South, they brainwash their kids with corrupt beliefs. The cycle starts with the children; in contrast though, the cycle CAN end with the children...
Go big or go home

Charles79

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:09 am

I say we blow Gaza away.

Not to pick on you specifically, but that's the kind of mentality we need to avoid. As AA61 states, both sides are breathing hatred, and the cycle must stop. There are terrorists on both sides of the fence, whether on the streets or in government doesn't matter. A radical cultural change needs to take place soon, and again it's both sides at fault, both of them have blood in their hands.

My biggest gripe is that the longer politicians and militia leaders keep fueling the fire, more and more innocent Palestinians and Israelis will continue to die. This loss of life is nonsense.

RIP to the victims on both sides.

Charles

ImperialEagle

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:50 am

The Palestinian people had a choice when they voted for their elected officials and they voted to be represented by the terrorist organization of Hamas. Bad choice.

Hamas gleefully lobs hundreds of rockets into Israeli territories every month with reckless abandon. No one else on earth would just sit back and let themselves be a constant target of attack, without standing up and defending themselves------but there is a clear double-standard when Israel defends herself----just because she is Jewish.

The government of Israel is not perfect----no government is.
But, if you cannot criticize Israel without demonizing her----you are an anti-semite.

I guess Palestinian blood is worth less than Jewish blood to you.

Well, you can bet the media will always show wailing Palestinian women holding up their bloody babies for a photo-op, but you will NEVER, EVER see a photo-op of the Jewish women holding up their bloody babies.

There is more than just a little bit of anti-semitism amongst the media.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

Mir

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting RJAF (Reply 7):
What goes around comes around...

And it will eventually come back and hit the Palestinians. That doesn't solve anything.

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 23):
But, if you cannot criticize Israel without demonizing her----you are an anti-semite.

Criticizing the Jewish people is anti-semitic, and I don't hear much of that. Criticizing the actions of Israel's government is completely fair.

Let's not throw the label of anti-semitism around just because it sounds really condemning.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ImperialEagle

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
Let's not throw the label of anti-semitism around just because it sounds really condemning

It is what its is.

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
Criticizing the actions of Israel's government is completely fair.

Exactly, -----as I said---- its the demonizing that isn't.

Falcon84

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
Quoting RJAF (Reply 7):
What goes around comes around...

And it will eventually come back and hit the Palestinians. That doesn't solve anything.

Exactly. And where does it stop, RJAF? Why not make it stop right there, instead of demanding revenge, or celebrating in the street. The day there will be peace is when both sides mourn such an act, no matter who the victim, not simply say "well, what goes around comes around". It's gone around and come around thousands of times-when is it enough for you?

I'd like nothing better than to see a secure Israel and a free Palestine, side-by-side, but if all of you over there simply don't ever get tired of this bloodshed, to hell with all of you, if that's what it comes to. Make the peace, goddamit, and stop wasting the rest of the worlds' time.
Work Right, Fly Hard

a380us

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:02 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 3):
I believe that in the settlements most men carry guns. I don't believe that's true in Jerusalem though.

Well mostly everyone in Israel goes to the army and many of these men went already, and even while your in the army you can be learning and have a weapon. It's really common to see guns even in jerusalem.
www.JandACosmetics.com

kachum

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
I'd like nothing better than to see a secure Israel and a free Palestine, side-by-side, but if all of you over there simply don't ever get tired of this bloodshed, to hell with all of you, if that's what it comes to. Make the peace, goddamit, and stop wasting the rest of the worlds' time.

Falcon, do you think you can send both sides to hell from your observer's position? Kind of like America did when WWII started? That worked really well until Dec 7 1941

Falcon84

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting Kachum (Reply 28):
Falcon, do you think you can send both sides to hell from your observer's position? Kind of like America did when WWII started? That worked really well until Dec 7 1941

1. That makes no sense whatsoever.

2. What's your point?
Work Right, Fly Hard

kmh1956

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Instead of "what goes around comes around", RJAF, how about "let's stop this nonsense once and for all!".

Amen to that! Rather than rejoicing at the senseless (yes, senseless) killing of Palestinians or these religious scholars in Israel, perhaps it's time all this crap stopped and someone...ANYONE....came up with a peaceful solution whereby evryone could live in peace. I know that sounds simplistic and very flower child or whatever, but at my age I'm tired of seeing all this stuff on a daily basis.....it's time for it to stop.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

baroque

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:06 pm

how about "let's stop this nonsense once and for all!". Or is that asking too much?

Just as long as it is a two way stop sign. Both sides only want the other to stop.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
Quoting Kachum (Reply 28):

1. That makes no sense whatsoever.

2. What's your point?

checkmark   checkmark 

a380us

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Alos from what thye told us in school is that after the attacks they (Israel) coulnt send there ambulences (or many) in right away.
The reason is because they said that these top of people are known for sabatoging like ambulences so they had to be sure it was safe. And at least then they werent sure if there was a second terrorist.
www.JandACosmetics.com

Falcon84

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Again, the lack of condemnatiaon from our Arab friends on this forum, for this senseless attack on Israeli citizens is deafening in it's silence, and speaks volumns. It's symptomatic of the problems in the region.

Until you all get tired of the killing, you'll keep your silence, or say "they deserved it". Until then, why should we help you in any way?
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJAF

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
Again, the lack of condemnatiaon from our Arab friends on this forum, for this senseless attack on Israeli citizens is deafening in it's silence, and speaks volumns. It's symptomatic of the problems in the region.

I'm against the killings of ANY civilian from both sides.

Let's see our Israeli sympathiser friends on this forum condemn the recent Israeli killing of 125 Palestinians?

You see, its quite simple, Israel occupies Arab land and has been arrogant and defiant, ignoring the world community and UN resolutions. Do you think they are serious about peace? All the Arab countries offered Israel full diplomatic and normal relations for the return of occupied Arab lands since 1967. It was promptly shot down by Israel.

All of us in the Middle East are sick and tired of the status-quo. How can the US help? Simple, be an honest broker and not blatantly support Israel. The US has lost its credibility as an honest broker.

fumanchewd

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 34):
All the Arab countries offered Israel full diplomatic and normal relations for the return of occupied Arab lands since 1967.

Are you kidding me? After the war? What happened to Egypt after they were the ONLY arab country to give diplomatic relations? (Jordan did not until 1994) They were chastised and kicked out of the Arab League. The Arab League's only foreign policy at its creation was to stop an Israeli state. It was not until 2002, long after 1967, that they changed that policy. It wasn't until 1989 that Egypt was allowed to return.

[Edited 2008-03-07 10:37:21]

jfk69

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 34):
Let's see our Israeli sympathiser friends on this forum condemn the recent Israeli killing of 125 Palestinians?

Well that is the problem. It is not 125 innocent Palestinians. It is mostly Hamas members with some innocent victims mixed in. I condemn the killings of innocent victims. the propaganda is out of control though.

Its the propaganda that kills everything out of Gaza.

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 4):
Can bullets speak? How can you define celebratory shooting? It's a war zone out there what a journalist can mistake for so called "celebratory shooting" can also be from an actual gunfight.

Nope, it was celebratory.

RJAF

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 35):
Are you kidding me? After the war? What happened to Egypt after they were the ONLY arab country to give diplomatic relations? (Jordan did not until 1994) They were chastised and kicked out of the Arab League. The Arab League's only foreign policy at its creation was to stop an Israeli state. It was not until 2002, long after 1967, that they changed that policy. It wasn't until 1989 that Egypt was allowed to return.

Not sure what's your point here!

fumanchewd

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 37):
Not sure what's your point here!

That previously no Arab country was even allowed to recognize Israel or start diplomatic relations. It was only in the last 5 years that the Arab League and Israel has reached an agreement and started diplomatic relations. Part of the agreement was the return of Gaza and the occupation of territories such as the Golan Heights which was done.

The process is a slow one, but it has only been recently accepted within the Arab countries that the recognition of Israel might even be a POSSIBILITY.

I hope that it continues and that Israel does withraw from the occupied territories and that they stop killin one another.

However to state that the Arabs offered them immediate peace and recognition for pre 1967 land is incorrect. It has been discussed. It has been in negotiation now only recently and is still a long and screwed up process.

SBBRTech

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 23):

Does this equation also work the other way around? I mean, I seldom hear jewish people talking about the Palestinian problem without demonizing the arabs...does that make all jews automatically anti-arab?

[Edited 2008-03-07 12:11:17]
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

fumanchewd

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 39):
I mean, I seldom hear jewish people talking about the Palestinian problem without demonizing the arabs...does that make all jews automatically anti-muslim?

As so many on this website point out, palestinians aren't necessarily muslim. Perhaps you mean anti-arab.

SBBRTech

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 40):
Perhaps you mean anti-arab

You're right...i just wanted to avoid repeating "arab".
Gotta edit it.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

bok269

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 34):

I will condemn the killing of innocent Palestinians. I can't say I have any sympathy for the Hamas members who use neighborhoods with many innocent civilians around as covers for their operations.

I will condemn the killing of the Yeshiva Students. They were as innocent as anyone.

I will condemn the killing of the innocent Palestinians killed in the retallitory attack.

I will condemn the killing of innocent Israelis in the Palestinian retalliation that follows.

You see my point?

Am Yisrael Chai...
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Joni

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:50 pm

This looks like a case of Palestinian extremist attacking Jewish extremists. This "school" apparently supports the idea that any peace accord that would give any land to the Palestinians is simply wrong. According to Wikipedia, the chief rabbi in this school also

"declared that handing over parts of the land of Israel to gentiles, even with a peace agreement, contradicted halacha and was therefore forbidden. In a controversial declaration, [he], along with Rabbis Moshe Zvi Neria and Shaul Yisraeli, called for soldiers to not obey orders to hand over territory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avraham_Shapira

Obviously this doesn't mean it's OK to shoot the pupils, but at least it should be verified the school doesn't receive funding from Israel's education budget.

fumanchewd

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Like any private school.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
Make the peace, goddamit, and stop wasting the rest of the worlds' time.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Not only time but also stop wasting our money.

I cant believe such a small amount of people can quarrel over a piece of desert for so long and continue flinging crap at each other back and forth.

ImperialEagle

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 39):
I seldom hear jewish people talking about the Palestinian problem without demonizing the arabs...does that make all jews automatically anti-arab?

In 1948 about 700,000 Palestinians fled their homes. Some were forced to leave but most left because they were afraid of Jewish rule in the State of Israel, and believed the promise of neighboring Arab nations that their exile would only be temporary, and soon the Arab nations would "drive the Jews into the sea".
Some Palestinians were undoubtedly killed by Israeli forces during the skirmishes that followed. Some Palestinians also left and went to Jordan (formerly Trans-Jordan) which many agree was the "original" home pf the Palestinian people.
This began the refuge plight. This is where the Arab leaders learned to use the Palestinians as pawns in a much bigger plan.

Over the next two decades about 850,000 Jews who lived in Arab lands were forced to flee by the governments of those lands. Forced to flee the only homes they had ever known. Their (Islamic) Arab friends and neighbors that they loved and shared life's experiences with.
More Jewish Arabs fled from Iraq, Yemen, Egypt, Syria, Algeria, Morocco and even India than did Palestinians from the old Palestine-Israel.

Israel absorbed all these Arab Jews in spite of her small size and (then) limited resources. And remember, in those days many countries were openly anti-semitic towards Jewish people and hampered their efforts to exist in every way possible.
Twenty-three Arab states did not and would not absorb their Palestinian-Arab bretheren. The non-absorbed Palestinians were kept by their Arab hosts in refugee camps, for which Israel has ALWAYS been blamed.

The world was and still is, unconcerned with the plight of Jewish refugees from Arab lands.
Nonetheless, many Jewish refugees kept-up with their former Arab neighbors and still do.
Israel is also home to many, many NON-Jewish Arabs. AND most average-joe Israeli's certainly do not HATE Arabs or anyone else for that matter. Just like everyone on the planet they are just looking to make a living and care for their friends and families.

So in answer to your question, yes, Jewish people do have love and cocern for their Arab friends and neighbors.
The terrorists and their attacks are another story.

I would respectfully suggest that most people have little if any real knowlege of the history of the Jewish people to begin with. Even secular Jews can be quite ignorant of their own history. If they did it would certainly shed some light on how and why Israel as a country was born.