oly720man

Old Ammunition Is Dangerous

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Or so it would appear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7298341.stm

At least four people have been killed and about 200 injured in a series of explosions at an arms depot near the capital, Tirana.

Military experts were disposing of old shells at the time of the blasts.

They were reported to be being assisted by employees of a US company contracted by Nato to help the Albanian army dispose of surplus munitions.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

L-188

RE: Old Ammunition Is Dangerous

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:23 pm

Yeah,

HE can destablize over time, which is why most munitions have use-by dates...

However smokeless powder and Blackpowder are pretty stable over the long term if kept dry and temp controled.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

TIA

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:37 pm

Unfortunately the death toll is much higher. There have been at least 5 confirmed dead and many are in critical conditions. The confirmed dead so far are people who lived near the army base and whose bodies are retrieved. According to witnesses there were around 100 people working inside the base (mostly civilians) who are mostly unaccounted for. Considering the magnitude of the blast, a lot of those people are probably dead and their bodies might never be found. So far no one has been able to get to the center of the blast because smaller explosions continue to happen. Not that it makes any difference, but some of the dead will most likely be American. Although never say never, terrorism was not at play here. Human error or a freak accident are most likely the cause. The last person confirmed dead was a kid and there was another one barely clinging to life. I had to stop following the news because that was a little too much for me.

RIP

falstaff

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:42 pm

I use old ammo all the time. The oldest I use on a regular basis is some German 8mm from 1939. It all shoots great! I also shoot a fair amount of Soviet 7.62X54 from the 1950s. That stuff always fires.

The only old ammo I have problems with is British 303. Regardless of manufacturer I always have a fair amount that do not fire. The new stuff always works but the 1940s-1960s stuff is questionable.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

iliribdl

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Its a tragedy.

May all the dead rest in peace. God bless them.

Sad
delta.com

TupolevTu154

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:21 pm

The force of the blasts was felt in Tirana and the coastal resort of Durres, some 20km (12.5 miles) away, and heard in neighbouring Macedonia.

That must've been one hell of a blast.

Quoting TIA (Reply 2):
The confirmed dead so far are people who lived near the army base and whose bodies are retrieved. According to witnesses there were around 100 people working inside the base (mostly civilians) who are mostly unaccounted for. Considering the magnitude of the blast, a lot of those people are probably dead and their bodies might never be found

Wouldn't these be regarded as "missing" persons? Nevertheless, an awfully large amount of casualites.

My condolences to everyone involved. Shocking stuff.

See also: Tirana Airport Closed - Huge Blast (by SeansasLCY Mar 15 2008 in Civil Aviation)

Tom

iliribdl

Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Here is the video on youtube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8BVjAiAwhFc
delta.com

Blackprojects

Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:22 am

Looks like the Blast wave knocked the Camera guy off his feet.

MD-90

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:40 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 3):
I use old ammo all the time. The oldest I use on a regular basis is some German 8mm from 1939. It all shoots great! I also shoot a fair amount of Soviet 7.62X54 from the 1950s. That stuff always fires.

I've got Turkish 8mm from the 1940s. Works fine in my Mauser, and it's cheap (but corrosive).

Dougloid

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 am

Reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago. It seems some Virginia farmer plowed up what was left of a Civil War rifle that had been dropped on the field 100 plus years previous. Well, it was a good chunk of metan and he figured he'd use it to repair a stock gate. Started heating it up with a torch and the still loaded round discharged, killing him.

I was just reading a story in the news the other day about the amount of ordnance left over from the battle of El Alamein in Egypt-amazing, well preserved in the dry climate and fully capable of maiming and killing folks out for a stroll.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

57AZ

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 9):
Reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago. It seems some Virginia farmer plowed up what was left of a Civil War rifle that had been dropped on the field 100 plus years previous. Well, it was a good chunk of metan and he figured he'd use it to repair a stock gate. Started heating it up with a torch and the still loaded round discharged, killing him.

Indeed. Quite a few unexploded shells out there too. You always have to treat the shells (aka cannon balls) as if they're live, especially if you're uncertain as to whether the ball is a shell or solid shot.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

falstaff

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:28 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 8):
I've got Turkish 8mm from the 1940s. Works fine in my Mauser, and it's cheap (but corrosive).

I used to have some of that. I shot off all 300 that I had. They all shot just fine. I don't mind corrosive ammo because I clean my guns well anyway and I figure that is the kind of ammo that those guns were made for.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

dc863

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:40 am

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 6):
Here is the video on youtube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8BVjAiAwhFc

Holy sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the biggest explosion I've seen since the rocket fuel plant blast near Vegas in the 1990s.
I think the photographer ducked for the expected shockwave.