VonRichtofen
Topic Author

The Democrats And Nafta

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:35 pm

I know I know, yet another US election thread.

But with the back and forth between Hillary and Obama over NAFTA I've been wondering if either of them could truly bail the US out of NAFTA? Or even renegotiate it?

If they could, and if they would then Canadians should be wholeheartedly supporting McCain. Cancellation of NAFTA would devastate the Canadian economy. Unfortunately Canadians only seem to care about the US policies that have no effect on Canadians in any way at all (gay marriage, Iraq War). I'm not against gay marriage, but it's secondary to putting food on my table and a roof over my head, not only that, but the gay marriage policy in the US doesn't affect a single Canadian anyway regardless of which way it swings! The US economic policy however, has a huge impact. I wish more Canadians would realize this instead of just jumping on the anti-republican bandwagon.

There's many Republican policies I don't like, but if the Democrats could seriously threaten NAFTA then it's.....

McCAIN '08!!!! For me.

Thoughts?

skyservice_330

RE: The Democrats And Nafta

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
But with the back and forth between Hillary and Obama over NAFTA I've been wondering if either of them could truly bail the US out of NAFTA? Or even renegotiate it?

Cancellation? I seriously doubt it. Both countries would have too much to lose.
Reform/renegotiation? Perhaps. But if either Hillary or Barack are serious about doing this, then they must also realize that it won't only be the US coming to the table with demands and the can of worms they could be opening. Sometimes the devil you know is better then the one you don't.

G-CIVP

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, I doubt Hilary will alter it as it was her old fella who was responsible for it.

ANCFlyer

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 2):
Unless I'm mistaken, I doubt Hilary will alter it as it was her old fella who was responsible for it.

You're mistaken - it was George HW Bush that pushed it through, Pres Clinton simply let it go forward.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

RJdxer

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:55 pm

In reality both Presidents can claim the treaty as their own. Most of the major details were worked out under Bush 41 and he signed it in his last month as President, subject to ratification by the Senate at a later date. President Clinton made it a legislative priority in his first year and added two provisions, one to address enviromental concerns and the other to address labor concerns. Once all three sections were in place he signed the final version containing all three parts after ratification by the Senate in late 1993.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!