NeilYYZ
Topic Author

Diamond Shreddies - Are You Kidding?

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:53 am

Alright. A few weeks ago I noticed that Shreddies started an advertising campaign calling them the "new Diamond Shreddies!"

Now I realize that I might not be the quickest car on the track. But is there something about this ad that I'm not getting, or is this just a Shreddie rotated 45 degrees? I think this is the stupidest ad I've ever seen.

It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

diamond

RE: Diamond Shreddies - Are You Kidding?

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:03 am

I rather like the idea.  Smile
Blank.

WestJetForLife

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:05 am

The hell? Diamond-shaped shreddies? Has the world gone mad?

First Britney Spears, now this? Goddamn, I really do need a vacation from reality. The...concept of rotating a square shreddie 45° on its lateral axis boggles even the greatest of minds...unless you elongate the edges about 3 or 4 centimeters, giving them a "true" diamond shape.

If they're just using regular shreddies and pitching them as diamond, Post Cereals needs to pull their heads out of their asses.

Cheers,
Nik
I need a drink.

Mir

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:00 am

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

You should complain that your box of Diamond Shreddies contained only squares, and send them a photograph as evidence.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ACDC8

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:09 am

Personally, I think it's one of the best advertisements I've seen in a long time. I hate Shreddies, but from an advertisers view, simple but very smart!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

NeilYYZ
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
Personally, I think it's one of the best advertisements I've seen in a long time. I hate Shreddies, but from an advertisers view, simple but very smart!

I guess if some people like it that's the whole point. As long as it works for them I guess it's successful. My personal opinion is that it annoys the hell out of me, but I'm no advertiser, so what the hell do I know.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

scbriml

Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 am

Simple and brilliant. The two main ingredients for a great advertising campaign.  yes 

9/10 from the UK judge.

Seems like the Canadian judges are a bit harsh. Or they take their breakfast cereal way too seriously!  wink 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

nighthawk

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:28 am

Well - the advert has got you guys talking about it, and spawned a thread on a.net (and probably other forums too) to discuss the advert. Therefore its been a huge success.

CXfirst

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:40 am

Do you really think that they are serious about diamond shreddies??? You can clearly see from the 15th second on that it is a marketing 'joke'. Funny ad giving it much more publicity, and more profit.

They are not being serious with it, but it will still sell. Very smart marketing campaign.

-CXfirst

yooyoo

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:19 pm

I think it's one of the best advertisements I've seen in a long time. I hate Shreddies, but from an advertisers view, simple but very smart!

agreed...makes me laugh.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

ac888yow

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Joke or not, I think it's a downright dumb marketing campaign. My first thought after seeing the ad was that it was the dumbest thing I've seen in recent memory, and that I am now 1% dumber having been subjected to it. I'm sure most people will eat it up though ... literally.

I cringe at the thought that this is all it takes to make lots of money these days, as I'm sure the advertising company earned good cake with this ad.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Is this a real ad? Or is it a parody made for YouTube?
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

FighterPilot

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):

I agree. At a marketing standpoint they haven't had to do anything to actually make their product "new," their not coming out with "frosted shreddies" or anything like that, so essentially they have a new product. It's also obvious that the ads are working because people are talking about it.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):
Is this a real ad? Or is it a parody made for YouTube?

It's the real ad.

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

seb146

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:04 pm

How clever! Marketing was on the ball that day. Shreddies look like a boring cerial and they needed a way to grab the consumer's attenetion. I would say this did it. I would also say a few people (especially the quality control guy) are not the brightest bulb in the marquee, but it worked. I would venture to guess the numbers of Shreddies sold has gone up, too.

I'll make a deal with you: I will trade your Shreddies Diamond commercial for our Ovaltine commercials....
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

scbriml

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:21 pm

And they say Canadians don't have a sense of humour!  sarcastic 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Jpax

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:11 pm

Haha, clever!! And they succeeded, too! We are talking about their product!  Wink

NeilYYZ
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Clearly the majority of the people like it. I guess that makes it a success. Personally I didn't find it funny or clever, it left me questioning whether or not I was too stupid to get a simple joke though. Thankfully for me this doesn't seem like the type of marketing campaign that can last too long. Everyday I leave my place there is a massive billboard that stares me right in the face with these Diamond Shreddies.

A332

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:53 am

The sad part is there is a good chunk of people who are too stupid to realize that the 'diamond' Shreddies are nothing more than the regular cereal slightly rotated... people are pretty dumb and wouldn't even guess.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

flanker

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:58 am

For all commercial purposes that was an awesome add!! I found it quite funny! Stupid humor is always good!  bigthumbsup 
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Halcyon

Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:31 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 16):

I thought it was absolutely retarded. The part that annoyed me most was the "in a delicious diamond shape" bit.

CanadianNorth

Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:45 am

Well I have to agree it is a stupid ad. But on the other hand, it brought our attention to their product, which is basically the whole point of advertisements in the first place...

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

czbbflier

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:17 am

Absolutely brilliant.

It's an ad campaign that says that Shreddies is not "NEW!" and "IMPROVED!"- it says that Shreddies is as good as it will ever get. If you want something with some pizazz, turn the stupid things 45 degrees and turn breakfast into a feast fit for a King!

GPIARFF

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:20 am

Plus it didn't cost them an extra penny.
Pa chiye ladan dlo ou bwe ( don't crap in your drinking water )

czbbflier

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:22 am

Oh ya. I forgot that part. That makes it even more brilliant.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:27 am

This is what marketing is all about. The fact that it is being discussed like this means they have achieved what the marketers wanted. (Marketers threw out the proverbial hook with bait and it was caught. Hook, line and sinker.)

Absolutely brilliant!

I hope the commercial creators got paid well.
You can't cure stupid

Kunoichi

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:40 am

HAHAHA!!! I think this is absolutely AWESOME!  rotfl 

It's nice to see a product that doesn't take itself too seriously (hey, they portray the factory workers as dumb). Big grin

Quoting NeilYYZ (Thread starter):
Now I realize that I might not be the quickest car on the track. But is there something about this ad that I'm not getting, or is this just a Shreddie rotated 45 degrees? I think this is the stupidest ad I've ever seen.

Basically, that's the point.  Smile It's SUPPOSED to be a normal shreddie - there's nothing new about it. They're just portraying the employees in the video to be so dumb that they can't see it (as some of the shreddies on the conveyer belt have been turned a little) and assume that some of these "mutant" shreddies have already been sold so that they'll have to come up with a plausible reason why some of the shreddies are suddenly "diamond shaped".  Wink

Ah, explaining it like that ruins it.  sigh 

And if it doesn't cost more than normal shreddies (which I bet it doesn't), it's okay, isn't it? If it DOES cost more and people actually buy it, they kinda deserve to be ripped off as it's quite obvious what is going on. Big grin
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

NeilYYZ
Topic Author

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:04 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 19):
I thought it was absolutely retarded. The part that annoyed me most was the "in a delicious diamond shape" bit.

At least I'm not the only one. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference either way, I didn't like them before, and I don't like them now.

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 25):

Ah, explaining it like that ruins it.

No, that's the real explanation. I just didn't find it funny, clever or brilliant. Clearly because I started this thread I found it dumb, but that's just my opinion.

What I really thought was maybe it's a joke that I don't get, playing on something that happened before my time. But I guess I just don't have the same sense of humor as the Shreddies marketing department.

Kunoichi

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:36 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 26):
No, that's the real explanation. I just didn't find it funny, clever or brilliant. Clearly because I started this thread I found it dumb, but that's just my opinion.

What I really thought was maybe it's a joke that I don't get, playing on something that happened before my time. But I guess I just don't have the same sense of humor as the Shreddies marketing department.

You can't please everybody, and I think the Shreddies marketing department is well aware that a great deal of people find it dumb - and not finding it funny is perfectly fine - everyone has a different sense of humor.
I'm pretty sure it'll sell, and that alone makes it worth it for the marketing department.

Plus, I read something very interesting on commercials/ads the other day in a magazine; some companies actually STRIVE to make their ads as annoying as possible. Why? Because people will remember them. And once people get to the supermarket, the majority forget their annoyance about the commercial, but they still remember the product's name, so usually, that's what they'll buy. Human beings like to buy things that they already know of (say, products they've heard of in commercials) rather than no-name-brands. There's a sense of security about that.

So whether it was meant to be funny or mindnumbingly stupid, it works.  Wink
I find it funny, but I can understand why people would find it dumb... and when I do see a dumb/annoying commercial, I wonder why the manufacturers of the product in question couldn't just make a NICE commercial. Funny commercials work to make people remember the name of the product when they're standing in the store too, so why give the viewers a brain hemorrhage caused by annoyance instead of pleasing/amusing them?  sigh 
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"