stratosphere

I Got Robbed At Gunpoint Tonight

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:31 am

Well I am now an official crime statistic in the Memphis area...I live in a suburb of Memphis not in the city. I had just got home from work and was getting out of my car when a car with 4 black guys stopped and asked me for directions when I approached their car he pulled a gun on me and demanded my wallet. Thankfully I had taken over 200 dollars out of my wallet in the morning and left only about 55 dollars 30 of which I had just spent at the store so they only got about 14 dollars in singles..The cops caught them pretty quick and took me over to try to ID them.. I definately ID'd the car but I guess I was fixated on the gun so I didn't get a great look at the driver..Apparantly after they robbed me they went to the corner store to buy beer which the clerk said they paid with all singles..I don't know if they can make anything stick since they didn't find a gun yet but I was about to go on vacation now I am shook up so bad my first reaction is to get my carry permit. I don't think it would have helped in this case because they got the drop on me pretty quick. Anyway it had for sure lit a fire under me to sell this house..This neighborhood had been going downhill for a while now and I have been wanting to sell but up until now I had never had a problem..Well now I have a problem..

Tugger

RE: I Got Robbed At Gunpoint Tonight

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:09 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Thread starter):
Well I am now an official crime statistic in the Memphis area

Very sad to hear. I hope you are holding up alright. Facing one's mortality is one the most terrible things to experience. Find some support if you can.

he pulled a gun on me and demanded my wallet.

Forgive me, I don't want to stir fear, but did they get the whole wallet or just the cash? My concern would be them seeing your ID, knowing your name and address.

Be safe(r)

Tugg

[Edited 2008-07-12 23:10:56]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

fxramper

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:11 am

Sucks for you dude; never carry cash in the wallet; this thread is a good example of why I absolutely refuse to move to Memphis for work. I brave the 1h20m commute to get on another plane.

Got Collierville?

planewasted

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 am

It sucks to be robbed, I know.
I don't care about the money (insurance fixes that), but the humiliation..  Sad

ual757

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:17 am

This right here would scare the f---ing s--t out of me.

They know where I live, my name, info from my wallet.

Oh, I'd be out of there quicker than you can say "bye".

Not to be a chicken or anything but man...

TUNisia

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:29 am

This is why I don't keep my ID in my wallet. I just keep it hidden in the glove box unless I need to buy something that requires it.

Don't be scared man, just be thankful you're OK and know that they'll have to answer for what they've done someday unless they ask for forgiveness.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

LASoctoberB6

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:48 am

I think I'm gonna start carrying two wallets.. One for money, and one for IDs and card and the like.. I'm sorry that had to happen to you. Just don't let it get to you too deep.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

stratosphere

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:56 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 1):
Forgive me, I don't want to stir fear, but did they get the whole wallet or just the cash? My concern would be them seeing your ID, knowing your name and address.

Well problem is they robbed me right in front of my house. They did not get my wallet just the money and not much at that. But I really think these guys are from the neighborhood I have seen that car before and that is what scares me.. I have a very unique car though so I know they know I live in this house..

Tugger

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:36 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 7):
Well problem is they robbed me right in front of my house.

Gee, you did say that didn't you!

They did not get my wallet just the money and not much at that. But I really think these guys are from the neighborhood I have seen that car before and that is what scares me.. I have a very unique car though so I know they know I live in this house..

Ahh F**k. I'm definitely thinking it's time to move.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

stratosphere

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:01 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 8):
Ahh F**k. I'm definitely thinking it's time to move

Agreed. Thanks for letting me vent...

stratosphere

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:08 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 2):
never carry cash in the wallet;

Actually Drew I am glad I had a bunch of singles...It appeared like it was a bunch of money especially at night but when they got down the street they knew it was less than 20 bucks. I think if I had nothing they might have shot me just because they were pissed.

aircatalonia

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 am

I wouldn't be too worried about them having further interest in you or your house considering you only had $14 in your wallet. If they had found the $200 maybe they would have thought you were rich or something but not with $14.

UN_B732

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Then again; you did report them to the cops.. so you never know.

I have a similar story here in Moscow; might as well attached myself to this thread. Some drunk guys robbed me at this subway station of $20 (two big guys beating the shit out of me with no cops around didn't seem appealing). I followed them into the subway, but what do you know.. damn it.. no cops down there on the platform; so I lost $20.. And never going to that shitty neighborhood again ($20 isn't gonna buy those losers happiness.. Just more booze.)
What now?

Aaron747

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Really sorry to hear about this Stratosphere. It's going to be tough getting back into the mindset of living in the states after all these years of Japanese tranquility and not really being concerned with what neighborhood I'm in.

How the fuck pathetic are you that you can't pay for your own goddamn beer anyway? Don't they have a cookie jar in grandma's house to steal from? Beyond sad  Yeah sure
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Quoting AirCatalonia (Reply 11):
I wouldn't be too worried about them having further interest in you or your house considering you only had $14 in your wallet. If they had found the $200 maybe they would have thought you were rich or something but not with $14

What about revenge for him identifying them to the cops?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

aircatalonia

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 14):
What about revenge for him identifying them to the cops?

Ok, well that's a possibility too. I was thinking more of the eastern european gangs we get here. You know, they are basically money-driven and all they will try is to get information on whether you have valuable items or money at home and then they will try get in and rob you.

Anyway, it's sad this kind of things happen.

luv2fly

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Well you did report it so that right there sends a message that you are not going to let others bully you. Had you not reported it I think that would have set you up for a repeat.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mia

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:48 pm

I am sorry to hear that. I guess its just another glaring warning sign that our economy is in the tubes and going downhill without any brakes.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

bhmbaglock

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Since the normal people that would recommend this have been purged, I'll throw in that if you're in a questionable neighborhood in Memphis at all you should consider getting a carry permit. I love Memphis but it's definitely a place where you need to stay on your toes at all times.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Flighty

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Quoting MIA (Reply 17):
I guess its just another glaring warning sign that our economy is in the tubes and going downhill without any brakes.

?? We always have had robbers. It sounds like they were caught. There was no legal basis to make an arrest. Getting a plate # is the best policy. Shooting people won't solve anything.

Some people believe our economy is going downhill. I am not sure I agree. But the stock mkt certainly makes it appear that way.

RJdxer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:26 pm

I am shook up so bad my first reaction is to get my carry permit. I don't think it would have helped in this case because they got the drop on me pretty quick.

Which is a good reason, even if you had a gun, to keep it in your pocket. The medical bills resulting from a shoot out where you get shot even once would far outweigh the 20 bucks.

Well I am now an official crime statistic in the Memphis area...I live in a suburb of Memphis not in the city.

When I lived in Nashville the prevailing opinion was that everything west of Jackson down to the river should be sold to Mississippi or napalmed.  duck 

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 3):
I don't care about the money (insurance fixes that),

What kind of insurance is that and where do I get it? What kind of deductible since we are talking 20 bucks?

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 5):
This is why I don't keep my ID in my wallet. I just keep it hidden in the glove box unless I need to buy something that requires it.

Here in the States you had better be real clear to the police officer that has stopped you that you going into your glove box to get your ID or you could get 9mm justice dispensed on the spot.

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 10):
...It appeared like it was a bunch of money especially at night but when they got down the street they knew it was less than 20 bucks. I think if I had nothing they might have shot me just because they were pissed.

Dead men tell no tales so you should thank your lucky stars they weren't high on something like pcp.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 13):
How the fuck pathetic are you that you can't pay for your own goddamn beer anyway?

I think their thinking was more along the lines of "why use our own money to pay for the beer when we can steal his". Goes along with rich kids shoplifting when they have a store credit card in their wallet.

Quoting MIA (Reply 17):
I guess its just another glaring warning sign that our economy is in the tubes and going downhill without any brakes.

??????WTF. How do you draw that conclusion?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

SlamClick

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:28 pm

...get my carry permit

Would not have helped in this situation. NEVER get into a gunfight on the other guy's terms! Best thing you could do is hand over the wallet without looking like you want to cause trouble for these guys. Now if they wanted you to get in the car with them, or you to let them in your house, then it might be time to be thinking of alternatives, but a simple robbery, you did good.

You've got me thinking though. I think I'm at some risk for the same experience. Pretty crappy neighborhood between home and work. Think it is time to invent a new way to carry the required plastic. I'll part with a wallet full of cash any day without so much as a whimper but having to deal with the issues of losing credit cards, licenses etc. is serious. Time to download the wallet. Keep a little chump change in there to appease the dirtbags like your crew.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 18):
I'll throw in that if you're in a questionable neighborhood in Memphis at all you should consider getting a carry permit.

I'm not disputing that, but please keep in mind that if the other guy has the drop on you, the best thing you can possibly do is keep hidden the fact that you are carrying. Shame to get yourself killed for the gun. Again, never get in a gunfight on the other guy's terms!

Quoting UAL757 (Reply 4):
Not to be a chicken or anything but man...

I happen to place courage rather high on the list of virtues, but good sense is sometimes a better survival skill. If I haven't said it before, never get in a gunfight on the other guy's terms.

This neighborhood had been going downhill for a while now and I have been wanting to sell

Can you sell in this market without getting robbed again? That would SO suck.

Quoting MIA (Reply 17):
just another glaring warning sign that our economy is in the tubes and going downhill without any brakes.

Ah, the old "poverty causes crime" fairy tale. Hint: Poverty does not cause crime. Some of the safest places on earth are also the poorest, but the society in those places is generally peaceable and orderly. The belief that poverty causes crime lets people off the hook for their own actions because, after all, if poverty causes crime and they are poor then it isn't their fault. So the notion that "poverty causes crime" might actually cause crime by excusing it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MCOflyer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Quoting UAL757 (Reply 4):
This right here would scare the f---ing s--t out of me.

Agreed.

I have a very unique car though so I know they know I live in this house..

What kind is it?

Sorry to hear you were robbed and glad to see you are taking preventive actions. Its better to be prepared then to have your rear end hanging out. I commend you.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

bhmbaglock

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 20):
Quoting MIA (Reply 17):

??????WTF. How do you draw that conclusion?

I'd bet these Whyfos never participated in the economy in a constructive way.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 21):
I'm not disputing that, but please keep in mind that if the other guy has the drop on you, the best thing you can possibly do is keep hidden the fact that you are carrying. Shame to get yourself killed for the gun. Again, never get in a gunfight on the other guy's terms!

Absolutely correct, I was speaking in more general terms and should have qualified my statement. See below for a bit more though.

and was getting out of my car when a car with 4 black guys stopped and asked me for directions when I approached their car

You put this on their terms when you approached their car. Asking for directions is a classic way to lure somebody closer for robbery, carjacking, etc. Think about this, with four people in the car why would they need to ask you for directions. Surely one would have a cell phone. I don't want to sound callous, but my default position is to assume the worst in these situations and act accordingly. I've seen too many people hurt, traumatized, etc. by falling for the same old tired story or a variation.
Where are all of my respected members going?

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:53 pm

...get my carry permit

Would not have helped in this situation. NEVER get into a gunfight on the other guy's terms! Best thing you could do is hand over the wallet without looking like you want to cause trouble for these guys. Now if they wanted you to get in the car with them, or you to let them in your house, then it might be time to be thinking of alternatives, but a simple robbery, you did good.

I got mugged once in Berlin (fortunately it had a happy outcome, except for some bruises to my ego and face, I was lucky to get some unexpected help) and I have to say that they took me completely by surprise. Even if I had a gun in my pocket at this time, I wouldn't have been able to use it (and probably would have done something stupid like shooting them when they were running away, which would be murder, not self defense).

On the other hand, if I have to walk a street with a mindset like a soldier in enemy country, expecting an attck from any corner, I'd move away from this place.

Jan

fr8mech

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:03 pm

NEVER get into a gunfight on the other guy's terms!

Never say never, sometimes you have no choice, but in this case I agree. They had you at a disadvantage and drawing a gun, with a gun already on you may have brought a different ending. Knowing when to draw is just as important as knowing how to shoot.

I aslso carry my wallet and cash separately. The flaw there is that all the cash I'm carrying is always together, but cash is easy  cry  to replace. I'd rather they not have my ID and/or keys.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

flymia

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Horrible to hear the news. I get so mad when I hear things like this, one reason why I want to go into law enforcement to stop people who hurt or just bother others like this.

Anyway this got me thinking, I live in a very safe private security neighborhood in Miami. But when I am out in the city or in my other home in DC I will now think twice about coming closer to someone who ask for directions (it happens to me a few times a year espcially with all the tourist in Miami and DC). I mean if its a SUV with two kids in the back and the husband and wife in the front lost out of their mind than common sense tells you its safe. But a run down car or a bunch of younger guys or just one guy in the car with an in-state plate asking for directions I will now never go up to them thats for sure. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Its horrible that things like this happen everday.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

SlamClick

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 25):
Never say never, sometimes you have no choice, but in this case I agree.

Okay, never volunteer for a gunfight on the other guy's terms. Better?  Smile
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:21 pm

When I was travelling to the Philippines, I used to hide the bulk of my money in a money belt (looked like a normal trousers belt, but had a zipper sewn in on the back to hide bank notes inside). The reason why I carried cash was that I could get a better exchange rate from the small money changers using cash than from the big banks.
When I stayed with my ex-in-laws, I would lock the money away in their place.
I only carried e.g. the equivalent of $50 in Pesos on me, enough to last me for a few days, and also enough to satisfy a robber as not to p*ss him off and to get shot, but at the same time I wouldn't loose my travel budget.

I carried my passport with my entry stamp and visa on me, in case of a police check, but I kept my German ID card seperate in the house. If my passport would get stolen, the ID card would be enough to prove my identity to the German embassy to get a new passport.

Jan

Boston92

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Here in the States you had better be real clear to the police officer that has stopped you that you going into your glove box to get your ID or you could get 9mm justice dispensed on the spot.

What do you mean? The glove box is where most people keep their insurance proof and registration, so what would be the big deal if your ID is there too?
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

lowrider

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Here in the States you had better be real clear to the police officer that has stopped you that you going into your glove box to get your ID

Not such a big deal. Last time I got stopped, I told the officer, "My registration and insurance card are in the glove box. Can I reach over there and get them?". He said yes and we carried on without me getting shot.

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 25):
I aslso carry my wallet and cash separately.

As do I, and I typically take a moment before I leave and leave anything I do not need for that particular trip at home. That usually leaves me with a license, a credit card, and misc cash. Its the times I go to work that I end up carrying the most stuff.
Proud OOTSK member

NWAESC

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:45 pm

You've got me thinking though. I think I'm at some risk for the same experience. Pretty crappy neighborhood between home and work. Think it is time to invent a new way to carry the required plastic. I'll part with a wallet full of cash any day without so much as a whimper but having to deal with the issues of losing credit cards, licenses etc. is serious. Time to download the wallet. Keep a little chump change in there to appease the dirtbags like your crew.

One suggestion is to use a money clip. You keep your cash on/in it, and the rest of your stuff in your wallet. When accosted, you can just throw the clip at them and run. 99% of criminals don't care about your insurance card, girlfriend's picture, etc., but you sure do....

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 30):
Not such a big deal. Last time I got stopped, I told the officer, "My registration and insurance card are in the glove box. Can I reach over there and get them?". He said yes and we carried on without me getting shot.

Depends...

Any combination of:

A) being in a bad neighborhood

B) A jumpy officer or

C) You forgetting to ask

and you may find your self staring down the "business end" of a service revolver...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

stratosphere

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Quoting AirCatalonia (Reply 11):
I wouldn't be too worried about them having further interest in you or your house considering you only had $14 in your wallet.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 22):
have a very unique car though so I know they know I live in this house..

What kind is it?

Well I guess I can answer both questions..True I only gave them 14 bucks but I was getting out of my car 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8. While not a unique car it IS unique to this neighborhood. Even the cop made the comment that "they saw you get out of this nice car" so maybe I am still a target who knows..I will change a few bad habits thats for sure..

ronglimeng

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Stratosphere:

Sorry about your experience.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but don't you think 4 black guys riding around in one car should have tripped some alarms?

Or am I just being a racist?

Boston92

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 33):

Maybe not racist, but an unfair comment.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

CO18Heavy

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.. Too bad they didn't approach me, they woulda been dead since I carry a gun at all times. Those thugs should be dead.

CO18Heavy

stratosphere

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Funny how when anyone eludes to a statement like that they are accused of being racists. Yet I know blacks who will tell you they would not approach a car full of young black males.. I guess my guard was down. I have had blacks moving into this area and had 2 different black families rent the house nextdoor and never had a problem with any of them. Well just like any lesson in life the older I get there is always something to learn..Thankfully I lived though this lesson..

MD-90

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but don't you think 4 black guys riding around in one car should have tripped some alarms?

Not in Memphis (lots of black people live there).

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:57 pm

I love Memphis and I have relatives from North Mississippi, and have been there many times. However, there's no question this city has degraded into a dangerous place during the last twenty years! My relatives try to avoid going there these days if at all possible. It's physical appearance has definitely been on the decay too over the twenty years since I first went there. Didn't you guys build a state of the art shopping mall down there in the 1980's, with an indoor ice skating rink and everything, only to have so many robberies and murders occurring there ( in some cases inside the mall itself) that it was unofficially dubbed "The Mall of Murder" instead of Mall of Memphis before being shut down and closed six years ago? I read they even had armed guard towers around the mall parking lots perimeter towards the end of the malls existence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall_of_Memphis
http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/mall_of_memphis.html

I guess Memphis has had it's problems for years though now? In the early 1980's my father's Navy friend was kidnapped at gunpoint from the parking lot of a hotel out near the airport for $50 by a couple black guys. They took the money, then drove him across the border into Mississippi to a dark secluded country road and proceeded to put three bullets in the back of his head executions style, in a creek bed!

Thankfully you live in a state with pretty decent gun laws. Instead of getting shaken up, I'd try getting furious instead, and heading straight to the nearest gun store after getting a CCL! I'm pretty sure in TN you don't even have to retreat and you could have blasted the mother&#&%rs with just cause! I wouldn't loose any sleep over it either! Even if you were somehow charged, I don't know of a jury in TN that would convict you in your circumstances! They're pretty fair minded, non-liberal moonbat anti-gun types down your way! I wish I lived there instead of in the nutty Northeast! Anyway, I'd rather be shot attempting to prevent myself from becoming a victim instead of just handing over my wallet and letting them win. If they could hit me first, then they could pry my wallet from my cold dead hands! Bastard thug pieces of crap! I've been a victim on a random attack on the street before, and it won't happen again if I can help it. These days, the Ruger .357 goes everywhere I go, along with the CCL in my wallet. Some libs will try to suggest people like me have small testicles, are pussies, and all that BS... but I don't care how much of a tough guy one is, your fists, muscles and fighting ability aren't going to do shit for you when you're up against lead. And your experience only goes to show anybody can be a victim at any time, anywhere. I'd rather be prepared and never need it, than be some defenseless victim left feeling violated!

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 37):
Not in Memphis (lots of black people live there)

You mean mostly blacks live in Memphis... Isn't it upwards of 70% these days? Whitey is the minority down there! So interesting how the most violent US cities are the the blackest.... Memphis, New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, Little Rock, etc. Nope, their skin collar doesn't make them bad people, but the ghetto culture they look up to, and grow up in (more often than not, with no father) definitely has something to do with it! I wouldn't approach a car fall of young black thug types in Memphis either! I guess that makes me a horrible racist?

[Edited 2008-07-13 14:04:25]

[Edited 2008-07-13 14:09:04]

Mir

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:17 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 38):
I'm pretty sure in TN you don't even have to retreat and you could have blasted the mother&#&%rs with just cause!

I'd agree. But in this case the criminals had the gun drawn first, and drawing his own gun would have likely just gotten him shot.

Anyway, I'd rather be shot attempting to prevent myself from becoming a victim instead of just handing over my wallet and letting them win. If they could hit me first, then they could pry my wallet from my cold dead hands!

If you feel that way, more power to you. But I think the prevailing opinion would be that it's better to live to fight another day - whether they shoot you or not, they're still probably going to get your wallet. But at least in the latter case they won't get your life as well.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

stratosphere

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:27 pm

I wouldn't approach a car fall of young black thug types in Memphis either! I guess that makes me a horrible racist?

Ya know the funny thing is if this had been in Memphis I never would have approached the car but somehow in my neighborhood I felt safe as crazy as that sounds. I felt comfortable so I wasn't thinking when they asked for directions and put myself in a bad position..Lesson learned and you are right about me getting my CCP. Also Mississippi is even more lenient than TN you can shoot to kill to protect property here. We had a guy who carjacked a woman in her driveway here and her son got in the car and chased the bastard into Memphis and shot him (didn't kill him) and was never charged..I was surprised at that.

Boston92

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting CO18Heavy (Reply 35):
Too bad they didn't approach me, they woulda been dead since I carry a gun at all times. Those thugs should be dead.

Really? So you would have somehow got your gun out from wherever you keep it, faster than the black guy who already has a gun to your face can recognize what your doing? You would be the dead one unfortunately in this situation. A gun would not have helped very much in this situation.

fr8mech

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:14 am

Anyway, I'd rather be shot attempting to prevent myself from becoming a victim instead of just handing over my wallet and letting them win. If they could hit me first, then they could pry my wallet from my cold dead hands! Bastard thug pieces of crap!

I used to think that way...back when I was a teenager and, maybe, into my early 20's. Now I have a wife and 2 kids. Somethings are more important than a few bucks some scum may get. That being said, I carry just about everywhere I go, also because I have a wife and 2 kids who depend on me.

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 40):
Ya know the funny thing is if this had been in Memphis I never would have approached the car but somehow in my neighborhood I felt safe as crazy as that sounds.

Strange as it may sound, since I rarely leave the gun in the car, I would have probably been carrying it when this car approached. Who knows? But, as mentioned, unless you plan to live your life on full alert all the time, things will get past (or is it passed) you.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Superfly

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:45 am

Stratosphere:
Sorry to hear about that.
I've been held up at gun point too and it is a very scary feeling.
I f--king hate these kind of scumbags.
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:47 am

Didn't you guys build a state of the art shopping mall down there in the 1980's, with an indoor ice skating rink and everything, only to have so many robberies and murders occurring there ( in some cases inside the mall itself) that it was unofficially dubbed "The Mall of Murder" instead of Mall of Memphis before being shut down and closed six years ago?

Yes. I used to go to that mall every so often when I was a kid and never noticed anything unusual but that was in the early 90s before it got really bad.

You mean mostly blacks live in Memphis... Isn't it upwards of 70% these days? Whitey is the minority down there!

Yes. I have a great aunt who lives in Kirby Pines Estates and it's been sad to watch the neighborhood around it deteriorate at the rate that is has. Memphis used to be a great city but it's really gone downhill. Collierville is okay (my sister lives there), but Memphis is lamentable these days.

stratosphere

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 44):
Memphis used to be a great city

Yeah and King Willie Herrington is keeping the city safe.. The Mayor for life F#@%king scumbag..Between King for life and the Ford family and their bullshit this city is ripe for destruction.

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:25 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 44):

Yes. I used to go to that mall every so often when I was a kid and never noticed anything unusual but that was in the early 90s before it got really bad.

I've seen some of your posts before stating you're in Mississippi. Exactly whereabouts though? My father grew up in West Point, pretty close to Mississippi State in Starkville. He's been up north here in Maine for thirty something years, but I still have roots in Clay County. Use to spend the summer there when I was a teenager. I've definitely never met any other airliners buffs in those parts! It's nice to see somebody one A.net from the area!

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 42):

Anyway, I'd rather be shot attempting to prevent myself from becoming a victim instead of just handing over my wallet and letting them win. If they could hit me first, then they could pry my wallet from my cold dead hands! Bastard thug pieces of crap!

I used to think that way...back when I was a teenager and, maybe, into my early 20's. Now I have a wife and 2 kids. Somethings are more important than a few bucks some scum may get. That being said, I carry just about everywhere I go, also because I have a wife and 2 kids who depend on me.

Well, I'm almost thirty, single with no kids or significant other and I'd rather die than submit to thugs. Especially after I've already personally experienced one unprovoked attack on the street by a stranger who just happened to have gotten out of prison the day before! I guess that's my choice and a risk I'm willing to accept though? Although, another poster was right when they stated if they've already got the gun drawn and pointed at you than you're kind of at their mercy unless you can distract them. However, although it'd be murder in my state, in other places you can lawfully open fire on the bastards after they've taken your money and turned their backs to leave. If I had been in the original posters situation and in a state where the allowed it, I would have given them the wallet and acted scared and submissive, but as soon as they started to drive off I would have drawn and I emptied my entire magazine through their back window hopefully hitting one or both in the head with any luck! (Assuming it was a clear shot and there was no risk to bystanders or houses near by.)

Unfortunately in my state, unless I'm in my own home I must make reasonable attempt to retreat before resorting to deadly force in a self defense situation, and you cant shoot people for property crimes here. If you do you could be charged with manslaughter! I like the way the laws are down south. Shoot first and ask questions later.

I'm moving to Berlin, Germany though for a few years in about a month. Guess the guns are going to have to stay here at home? Godforbid German citizens be given the ability to defend themselves! However, their culture and society is different and I respect that. I just wish people from these other unarmed countries would respect our way as well.

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 41):

Really? So you would have somehow got your gun out from wherever you keep it, faster than the black guy who already has a gun to your face can recognize what your doing? You would be the dead one unfortunately in this situation. A gun would not have helped very much in this situation.

You can take advanced handgun defense courses and learn all kinds of different tactics for different situations. Sometimes you don't have an option but to submit. Other times, depending on the situation, you might have a good chance at fighting back if you play it cool, and don't just aimlessly go pulling your piece without thinking first.

If I walked up to the side of a car and the people inside drew a weapon on me and demanded my wallet, I'd probably either slowly reach for it while keeping my free hand where they could see it... Then I'd either give it to them, or throw it down on the ground or pretend to accidently drop it so they'd have to get out and be distracted for a second or two. Then, regardless of which action I choose, if I standing right at their car door facing them, it'd be pretty easy to swiftly position yourself against the side of their car while at the same time taking one or two steps backward to get to cover behind the vehicle. In this scenario the guy sitting in the front of the car is going to have a hard time hitting you with a shot when he has to bend his arm out the window at a 90 degree angle to shoot at a target that's behind him right up against the side of their car. At the same time you're trying to get distance between you and the thug, you're also getting in a rear position relative to the car where you'll have the advantage of behind behind the bad guys. In the split second your getting your ass to cover and the bad guys are focused on the wallet, you'd have time to draw you're weapon and fire before they realized what was happening. With practice you can become quite proficient at a fast draw and accurately directing a few shots on target.

[Edited 2008-07-13 22:41:13]

[Edited 2008-07-13 22:48:47]

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 am

This is a great site that's constantly updated with the most recent stories of armed citizens defending themselves against those out to do them harm. Love the stories! Sweet justice!

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

MD-90

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:30 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 46):
I've seen some of your posts before stating you're in Mississippi. Exactly whereabouts though? My father grew up in West Point, pretty close to Mississippi State in Starkville.

I'm actually from Athens, Alabama but my mother was born in Guntown, MS and so I'm quite familiar with Gutown, Tupelo, Saltillo, Mantachie, Baldwyn, etc. We also have family in Memphis. I've lived the last five years in Starkville as an MSU student.

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 46):
I've definitely never met any other airliners buffs in those parts!

lol, sure isn't much to spot at GTR but Bryan Field always has something interesting going on. That's where my mother got her pilot's license one summer in the '70s.

luv2fly

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:42 pm

I kinda miss all the gun zealots that use to dominate these threads, and turn them into guns are the only answer.
You can cut the irony with a knife