Fasteddie07

What Is Your Favorite Hotel Group?

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am

What is your favorite hotel-chain or group? Also where is your favorite hotel and why?

[Edited 2008-07-14 02:25:29]

stlgph

RE: What Is Your Favorite Hotel Group?

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:28 am

favorite chain is the Doubletree.

the cookies are wonderful. and i love their beds.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

iflyatldl

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm partial to Marriott, where as my partner is loyal to Hyatt.
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

AF340

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:48 pm

My favourite is Starwood group (Westin and Sheratons). Number two would be Fairmont. I have never had a bad stay at a Starwood or Fairmont hotel.

Liam spin 

lincoln

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:54 pm

I sold my soul to Hilton HHonors long ago; within the family the majority of my stays are at Hampton, but Embassy or Homewood is probably my favorite -- but it's difficult to say based on how much variation there is between properties. The Hilton family has the distinct advantage of being everywhere I want to be -- I've never not been able to find a family hotel within a reasonable distance of my destination.

I was in a Hayatt last year (Anaheim, near Disneyland... it was for a convention) that was probably the nicest hotel I've stayed at, but it helps that I was upgraded to a 2 bed / 2 bath + living room suite that was possibly larger than my first apartment  Smile

Linoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Cadet57

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 1):

The cookies are amazing, I stayed at the Arlington/DCA one last week and the guy at check in loaded us up with them, oh man they rock.

Doubletree would have to be my favorite brand, and Hilton would be my favorite group. Always decent rates and lots of choices.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

desertjets

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Of the big three (Starwood, Hilton, Marriott) I prefer Marriott. Basically for the simple fact that all properties are non-smoking and consistent across the brands.

Hilton perhaps has the better spread of brands covering all price points. I think that Hampton > Fairfield.

At the higher end I think Starwood is better. A Westin is a superior hotel to a Marriott any day of the week.

The other major hotel groups (Holiday Inn/Intercontinental, Wyndam, etc) are just too inconsistent at this point. Or are just a mishmash of franchisee brands like the Wyndam Rewards group.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

STT757

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm

I've grown up almost exclusive to Marriott, however now that I'm married I really like Westin and Hyatt.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

TUNisia

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm

My favorite hotel chain is Hilton, followed by Marriott.

My favorite hotels are:

1) Rome Hilton
2) Parker Meridien Palm Springs
3) Hotel Des Bains Venice
4) Sheraton Hammamet
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

lincoln

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 6):
Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn is the only (entire) chain that is on my personal "Do Not Stay" list -- every one has been a dilapidated mess with poorly mantained rooms and equal customer service.

On one stay, the power in 1/2 of my room (the entire bathroom and tv, but not airconditioner or alarm clock) for over 6 hours and they didn't offer to move me to another room or to refund any part of the stay -- as a result I'm very weary of the entire Intercontinental "family", though my experiences at Holiday Inn Express have at lest been forgettable -- nothing good, but nothing bad either.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

corocks

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:53 pm

I have always been a huge fan of Starwood. The Westin and W brands rock. I also like the fact that they have a lot of one off type historic hotels. There are always really cool places to stay that don't look like you every day Marriott.

Superfly

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:15 pm

I have no preference.
I like the lowest rates.
Clean & quite rooms, soft bed and a working air conditioner.
That is all I want in a hotel.
Bring back the Concorde

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:24 pm

Hyatt for two reasons:

1=Great rooms, reasonable prices for what you get, when I asked for a quiet room I was given one that was quieter than an empty cave!

2=I lost my virginity in one of their regency locations Big grin

OA260

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:28 pm

My favourite hotel group is Marriott. I have stayed in many Marriotts all over the world but my favourites are Marriott Vienna as its right on the Park ring next to the Stadtpark. Also the Marriott Warsaw, they have an amazing coffee shop that serves amazing cakes. The Marriott London Heathrow is very handy for stopovers. The Marriott Hanbury Manor near Stansted airport is a nice place to go for a Spa break. The Renaissance Times Square is a fav of mine when I go shopping in NYC.

After Marriott my favourite is Hyatt.

Hywel

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Best Western for me Big grin

fbgdavidson

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Of the big five (Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, Priority Club/IC):
Hilton - Enough presence that you can find one pretty much anywhere so making elite status and getting even more for your money is easy. Love the Conrads  thumbsup 

Favourite chain:
I'm torn between Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons...don't make me decide! Never had anything but excellent stays at either chain. Love the great service and excellent rooms whether modern or old school hotels.

Favourite hotel stay:
Peninsula Hong Kong - superb from start to finish. The start being the meet and greet service a the gate with golf cart to immigration, baggage assistance and RR Phantom to hotel...great restaurants, superb rooms and just faultless service. Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Hong Kong.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

stlgph

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
That is all I want in a hotel.

i can roll with that. if i'm going to a concert or whatever, we'll take a hotel either close to the venue, or close to where we want to end up. Comfort Inns work just as well, but sometimes, a lot of the Doubletree properties have their own individual websites ... you can book rooms for $69 a night at some places. such as downtown Minneapolis ... $69 a night in downtown ... through their website.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

StuckInCA

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 am

For me, it depends on whether it is business or pleasure travel.

Overall, I'd give it to The Leading Hotels of the World

http://www.lhw.com

It's hard to knock Four Seasons.

I can rarely justify the expense of either chain. In Europe I usually enjoy small places and in the US, I rarely enjoy much of anything as most have little character as I'm less willing to pay a huge premium.

Boston92

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 am

I cannot think of the last time I have [i]not[/i[ stayed at a Starwood hotel. Three main reasons:

1. Preferred Guest is by far superior to any other frequent stayer program
2. The beds are by far the most comfortable than any other hotel (even at four points)
3. Consistent properties.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:21 am

I much prefer Starwood, but recently I have given more of my business to Hyatt - sorry WindowSeat!  Sad There is a Westin and a Summerfield Suites close to where I work in NJ and I always used to stay at the Westin, but their prices have really gone up and I cannot justify paying $20 for breakfast. The Summerfield Suites is much more reasonably priced.

At least it has been this way - if the Summerfield Suites increase their prices, as I expect they will now that they are in the Hyatt family, I may end up back at the Westin! I do miss the Heavenly Bed.
But that was when I ruled the world

flpuck6

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:35 am

Hello,

Accor for me ... I am not a member but often get the opportunity to stay in Sofitels around the world (hard to accept less with their famous "My Beds").

Memorable destinations :

* Bercy (Paris, which is now a Pullman)
* Buenos Aires (both)
* Los Angeles (after revamp)
* Beijing
* Montreal
* New York

Bonjour Chef!

asuflyer05

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:17 am

I'm a big fan of Starwood products except for pretty much anything under the Four Points marquee. The Westins are awesome and the Heavenly Bed is heavenly.

Boston92

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 21):
except for pretty much anything under the Four Points marquee.

There are a few I prefer to some Sharatons. They all have the Four Comfort Bed, most have Queen sized beds (as opposed to Full), and most have plasma TV's.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

hawaiian717

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:18 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 22):
most have plasma TV's.

I'm finding the whole thing of putting HDTVs (and it's probably an LCD, not a plasma) in hotel rooms a bit silly. I've been in a few different hotels that have had LCD TVs recently, and all they had was the lousy analog cable signal going to them. I've only been at one hotel, the Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas (operated by Sheraton, btw), that had high definition channels listed on the channel list, but my room hadn't been upgraded with a HDTV.

Starwood is usually my first choice; the points are transferable to several airline programs at a 1:1 rate (much better than Hilton) and the Westin Heavenly Bed is great and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper isn't bad, either. At the moment Hilton is my second choice as I've stumbled into Silver status with them, but most of the time I'll go with whatever has the best combination of price and good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Boston92

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:36 am

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 23):
and it's probably an LCD, not a plasma

Most are LCD, but (at Starwood at least), all are advertised as plasma. Also, even if there is just basic cable, there will be some that recieve a 1080p signal (last time, I got NBC, ABC, and PBS, but it will differ by property).

WindowSeat

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:35 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 3):
My favourite is Starwood group (Westin and Sheratons)

YAY! Starwood is the best hotel group ever! Btw, Liam, did you know that Starwood has more brands than just Sheraton and Westin. Le Méridien, St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Four Points, element and aloft. Oh and how could I forget W Hotels

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 18):
1. Preferred Guest is by far superior to any other frequent stayer program

That's absolutely true. Starwood Prefered Guest (SPG) has been winning Freddie awards for seven years in a row for best frequent stay program. There are NO BLACK OUT DATES

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 19):
I much prefer Starwood, but recently I have given more of my business to Hyatt - sorry WindowSeat!

haha, no worries. I understand  Wink

As you guys can tell, Starwood is my favourite hotel chain!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/vipradhan/DSC01531.jpg

cheers,
WindowSeat
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

QXatFAT

Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:59 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 1):
favorite chain is the Doubletree.

Agreed! My family always tries to stay at Doubletree Suites. The one we really love and go to alot is the one in Bellevue, Washington. We go to Seattle quite a bit and that of course is our choice to stay everytime.
Don't Tread On Me!

AirCop

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:03 am

Embassy Suites -bar none, with a government rate it's a steal..free happy hour, real free breakfast are winners in my book.

AirStairs

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:30 am

Starwood, Hilton, Four Seasons. When I roll out the big dough it will be Jumeirah and Mandarin Oriental.

AirStairs

N22237

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:49 am

Jumeirah.

filler.
Hooray for AAdvantage Elite Upgrades!

Super80DFW

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:57 pm

For years, we've been loyal to the Marriott brands. We like that all locations are consistantly clean and comfortable. We are have elite status with Marriott Rewards, so we usually try to stay at Marriott properties to keep up with that. Just recently, we stayed at the Fairfield in Lafayette, LA; Marriott New Orleans, LA; and Courtyard Gulfport, MS all within the last two weeks. We were originally booked at the Renaissance Pere Marquette, but they ended up full somehow. So the gave us a corner room at the New Orleans Marriott for free!

I also like Starwood! The have very nice hotels across the entire chain. We have found cheap rates at Westin Hotels for $79 per night!

Hilton brands are no for us. We have stayed at 2 Hilton's; both times we opened the door, and the room hadn't been cleaned yet.

Haven't ever stayed at InterContinental, but from what I've heard, I'm not sure I will try.

Marriott: +
Starwood: +
Hilton: -
InterContinental: ?
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

Cadet57

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 30):
For years, we've been loyal to the Marriott brands

You mean to say "For years, My parents have been loyal to the Marriott brands, I just stay in the rooms"

Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Super80DFW

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 31):

For as long as I can remember thats how its been. I will probably be partial to Marriott years from now to.  Big grin
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!