Dougloid
Topic Author

Douglas Corrigan Day

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Today is the sixtieth anniversay of Douglas Corrigan's flight into the history books.

He's important for the principle that after you've carefully listened to all the experts who tell you that you cannot do something, you listen to your heart and do what you know you're capable of-which is something most current or former aircraft mechanics know.

If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

MD11Engineer

RE: Douglas Corrigan Day

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
He's important for the principle that after you've carefully listened to all the experts who tell you that you cannot do something, you listen to your heart and do what you know you're capable of-which is something most current or former aircraft mechanics know.

But some people will tell you that it is the WRONG WAY.  Wink

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ronglimeng

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:39 pm

I guess you meant 70th anniversary (I'm getting pretty sensitive about 60th anniversaries right now).

After reading the opening post I read the Wiki article on Mr. Corrigan. I was surprised that things had been nailed down so tightly in the air regulations field just 11 years after Lindbergh.

Dougloid, I'm not really clear on the principle you are talking about. Could you expand on it a little more?

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 2):
Dougloid, I'm not really clear on the principle you are talking about. Could you expand on it a little more?

You are of course correct....60 is on my mind as well these days and I shall see it in my rearview mirror here in a couple weeks.

Corrigan stands for the principle that sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Some times you just gotta go with what you know, even when the experts tell you you're wrong.

Hell, the experts probably told Cristoforo Colombo that he'd come to no good end because the world was demonstrably flat. Even his mother probably said "Cris, do you think this is such a good idea?"
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn