Falcon84
Topic Author

Actually Saw A Smart Car Today

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 pm

And not online I was leaving Subway on the way to work, and there was one parked just ahead of where I was parked. Interesting looking little car. Unique, that's for sure.

Didn't get to check out the interior, though. Anyone test-driven one here in the states, own one, or know soemone who owns them? Any impressions?
Work Right, Fly Hard

EWRCabincrew

RE: Actually Saw A Smart Car Today

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Quite a few of them here. Great looking and getting decent ratings. When they come out with an electric version here, we will seriously consider buying one.
You can't cure stupid

AF340

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:28 pm

I see more than I can count everyday. They are neat little cars, but I'd never buy one. Even though I have a dealership 6 blocks from my house!

Liam spin 

bwest

Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:11 am

They're quite common overhere... but a lot of them are used as a driving billboard for small companies. I think they're ideal for city driving, but I wouldn't quite wanna take it for a trip to the south of Spain.

I wouldn't want one, mainly because I think they're a bit overpriced...
I love my Airport Job! :)

N1120A

Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 am

Smart isn't a new thing, just new to the US. They are cool as city cars in places where parking is at a premium, but they aren't much for the highway and they are way too small to not be a motorcycle. I have seen quite a few tooling around L.A. since they were introduced, however.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:25 am

I just don't understand how those cars can be any more cost-effective to own and operate...not to mention useful....than a mid to late-nineties Honda Civic. A Civic VX, in particular.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

alfa75

Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:26 am

I haven't driven one, but sat in one at the dealership down the street from where I work. Quite comfortable and plenty of room for a six footer.

I would expect the mileage to be a bit better though.
The best things in life aren't things!

N1120A

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):
I just don't understand how those cars can be any more cost-effective to own and operate...not to mention useful....than a mid to late-nineties Honda Civic. A Civic VX, in particular.

There is a limited supply of those cars. In fact, if everyone was going to buy one, they would get even more expensive.

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:10 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
I have seen quite a few tooling around L.A. since they were introduced, however.

Me too. Always surprise me with just how small they actually are.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):

An article I read had the EPA mileage estimates for the US Smart car. I wasn't particularly impressed with them:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25588420/

33/41 MPG. That is not overwhelming by any means. I can fit more stuff (or people) in my Civic, and get pretty close to that gas mileage.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

N1120A

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 8):

An article I read had the EPA mileage estimates for the US Smart car.

Well, to be fair, EPA's numbers are not particularly great.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 am

33/41 MPG. That is not overwhelming by any means. I can fit more stuff (or people) in my Civic, and get pretty close to that gas mileage.

Agreed. I'm planning to look for a new car sometime in '10, and I wouldn't even consider a Smart right now, simply because it doesn't seem to do well on the highway. I'll be looking at, at least right now, the Honda Civic and Fit, the Ford Focus, the Toyota Prius, Yaris and Corolla, the Nissan Sentra and Versa, the Chevy Malibu and Cobalt, and, of course, my favorite Mid-Life Crisis car, the MINI Cooper.
Work Right, Fly Hard

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
There is a limited supply of those cars.

That doesn't mean they're difficult to come by. Even if demand for them went though the roof, they would probably have to double in value before the Smart car offered a better overall value.

I maintain that one of those Civics would provide better value, economy, and usability than a Smart car.

33/41 MPG. That is not overwhelming by any means.

Indeed. And just as the Smart car might produce better-than-published real-world mileage, so too might the Civic.

I can fit more stuff (or people) in my Civic, and get pretty close to that gas mileage.

Civics...particularly the hatchbacks...are extremely useful when it comes to interior volume. I was able to transport three full-size bicycles and a passenger in my old 1994 sedan. With the doors, windows, and trunk closed, of course.

I just don't understand how people can justify the cost of the Smart car. You could spend $5,000 on a mid to late-nineties Civic, spend another $1000 on preventative maintenance, and then invest the remaining $5,000 to $10,000, and come out WAY ahead, all while enjoying equal or better reliability, utility, and resale value.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

N1120A

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:26 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
my favorite Mid-Life Crisis car, the MINI Cooper.

Get that one. The most fun to drive of all of them, incredibly safe, excellent mileage and reliability galore. My girlfriend has one and absolutely loves it.

Duff44

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 am

I've seen a couple of them in central CT... the first one I saw was a couple of years ago and it had Quebec plates on it. Only recently have I seen them registered here.

I think I'd rather sacrifice the MPG and get a slightly bigger vehicle, with (still) all those larger cars and SUV's on the road.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 13):
I think I'd rather sacrifice the MPG and get a slightly bigger vehicle, with (still) all those larger cars and SUV's on the road.

I hear you, but it's important to remember that size is not necessarily indicative of safety. The Mini has proven this very well. As I recall, testing has proven that you're safer in a head-on collision in a little Mini than you are in a big F-150.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

N1120A

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):
As I recall, testing has proven that you're safer in a head-on collision in a little Mini than you are in a big F-150.

Safer in all kinds of collisions. Actually, my girlfriend t-boned by a lady making an illegal turn at speed almost 2 years ago. Caused massive amounts of cosmetic damage to her car. The guys at the shop who were fixing it said they had never seen a more overbuilt car for safety in their lives.

corocks

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:42 am

I hav been seeing quite a few of them here in Houston. For some reason, every time I see one I just get the urge to walk over to it and try to push it over. Maybe it is my being here in Texas and it is like cow tipping or something.

lincoln

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:44 am

I drive past one [almost] every day on my way into work -- parked in front of a 'planned community' development (or whatever you're supposed to call them). The developer is doing a "Buy a condo/loft and the smart car is included 'at no extra charge'" gimick.

I am unipressed by it in almost every way, but to be fair my idea of the 'perfect' car is the BMW Z4, especially as far as looks are concerned -- and I know plenty of people who think that the Z4 is the ugliest car on the road... to each his (or her) own!

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jcs17

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:42 am

I've seen them floating around Dallas for a while... lots of gray market ones around here. To a worse degree, they've become like a Prius, yup status symbols.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

waterpolodan

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):
You could spend $5,000 on a mid to late-nineties Civic

Not even that much for one in good shape! I bought my '99 Accord with 102,000 miles and no mechanical issues whatsoever for $2,500 last summer, and so far the only thing that's gone wrong is that my brakes are vibrating a bit these days, which will probably require a rotor cleaning or replacement. I've averaged about 32 mpg on the highway to and from school in New Orleans with the car fully loaded with junk and traveling 80, which is pretty good I think.

Mir

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:06 am

my favorite Mid-Life Crisis car, the MINI Cooper.

I'd take a VW GTI over the Mini.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flymia

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:58 am

Here in Miami they have sold a few, I see a few every week. Its nice to see. I just know I would never want to drive on of those. I will stick with the Touareg or G500  Wink
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:45 am

The Smart car phenomenon has many people taking leave of their senses - my best friend, for one.

He's got a FULLY PAID FOR 2003 Nissan Xterra, and gets around 19-20mpg in it. He's considering buying a Smart car to use as a commuter vehicle.

Now, once all is said and done, he's still going to have to finance at least $10K to buy the little bastard.

To save MAYBE $100.00 a month in gas, maximum (he doesn't drive a lot). HELLO?!?

And he's not alone - I'm hearing all sorts of stories about people buying Smart cars as commuter vehicles because their SUVs and trucks cost too much to fill up - yet the purchase of a Smart car costs FAR more than their high gas bill does!

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Francoflier

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 22):
yet the purchase of a Smart car costs FAR more than their high gas bill does!

Well, in all fairness, I believe the Smart is aimed at people looking to buy a new car because they need a 2nd, 3rd one or getting rid of their old commuter.

Buying it just because you think you'd save some gas on your daily commute compared to your current, perfectly good but bigger car would certainly require to do the maths properly.

Then, there's also the resale value of the thing. If it turns out to be anything like the hollywood hype the Prius got to be, then you might very well cover your cost much faster than you'd think.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Mortyman

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:00 am

How about buying a little Norwegian instead  Smile

Think :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_City

ltbewr

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 am

I have seen a few here in northern New Jersey and saw them years ago in my travels to Europe. To me they are just too small for USA situations, I would be afraid of hitting a NY City pothole and tearing it apart and get a serious injury.  silly 

For only a little bit more and more available, are the Chevy Avro, Toyota Yaris or even a 1-2 year old ex-rental very small car for less and with as good or better fuel milege. In Europe they make sense but to me here they are a toy of limited use.

lincoln

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:45 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):
Chevy Avro,

I'm assuming you mean the Aveo (or Chevy has gotten into the Regional Jet business  Wink ) -- Hertz tried renting me one of those pieces of crap.

Ok, maybe "piece of crap" is a bit strong, but after waiting 40 minutes in line and hiking a quarter mile with my luggage, I was not amused to find out that Hertz wanted me to take a car where the "trunk" was not large enough to accommodate one, let alone both, of my bags*, and then I spent another 40 minutes waiting for a new car and trying to convince the Hertz dude that (a) a Ford Focus has a trunk, and (b) when my office manager makes a reservation and the confirmation lists the vehicle as "Ford Focus or Equivalent" that "Equivalent" includes the presence of a trunk that you can actually put something in.

(I was already not in a good mood, so I was probably a little pissy-er than I would prefer to be)

Lincoln
[I travel with two bags -- one is my clothes, one are my tools and test equipment, usually the clothes are in the car just long enough to get to the hotel, but the tools stay in the car most of the time... I would have been fine throwing my clothes case in the so-called back seat if I could have fit the tools in the "trunk", but neither bag would fit]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

WildcatYXU

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 26):
and then I spent another 40 minutes waiting for a new car and trying to convince the Hertz dude that (a) a Ford Focus has a trunk, and (b) when my office manager makes a reservation and the confirmation lists the vehicle as "Ford Focus or Equivalent" that "Equivalent" includes the presence of a trunk that you can actually put something in.

I hate when they do that. Couple of weeks ago Budget in YXC prepared a Nissan Versa for me as a midsize car. When I asked since when is the Versa midsize, the girl at the counter told me: We consider everything that has 4 doors midsize...

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 26):
I travel with two bags -- one is my clothes, one are my tools and test equipment, usually the clothes are in the car just long enough to get to the hotel, but the tools stay in the car most of the time... I would have been fine throwing my clothes case in the so-called back seat if I could have fit the tools in the "trunk", but neither bag would fit

I do almost exactly the same. The only difference is that I have 2 toolbags.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

PHLBOS

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 23):
I believe the Smart is aimed at people looking to buy a new car because they need a 2nd, 3rd one or getting rid of their old commuter.

checkmark 

Quoting COrocks (Reply 17):
I hav been seeing quite a few of them here in Houston. For some reason, every time I see one I just get the urge to walk over to it and try to push it over. Maybe it is my being here in Texas and it is like cow tipping or something.

I'm not from nor reside in Texas, and I usually think the same thing.

I'm hearing all sorts of stories about people buying Smart cars as commuter vehicles because their SUVs and trucks cost too much to fill up - yet the purchase of a Smart car costs FAR more than their high gas bill does!

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!

I've heard similar w/people replacing their larger vehicles w/Priuses and the like as well. Basically, they're being penny-wise/dollar-foolish.

General rule (and this has been stated in several news articles as of late): if one's only had their vehicle <3 years, they're better off keeping it for another 2 to 3 years before trading it in.

If one is planning to replace their vehicle anyway; then the fuel savings of choosing a more fuel efficient model comes more into play here.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 18):
To a worse degree, they've become like a Prius, yup status symbols.

To date, I've only seen one or two of the Smart cars in the Philly area (which is no stranger to Yuppie-dom) and one of actually a promotional model that was parked across the street from Independence Hall.

My third Smart siting was during one of my visits to the Greater Boston area (again, no stranger to Yuppie-dom); I saw one riding along I-95/Route 128 in the Wakefield area.

I usually see more Priuses than I see Smarts.

I wouldn't even consider a Smart right now, simply because it doesn't seem to do well on the highway.

Somehow, I just can't imagine seeing one of these Smarts riding along either the 21-mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US 13 in Virginia) or the 7-Mile Bridge (US 1) along the Florida Keys; that thing would easily get blown over at the first cross-wind.

I'll be looking at, at least right now, the Honda Civic and Fit, the Ford Focus, the Toyota Prius, Yaris and Corolla, the Nissan Sentra and Versa, the Chevy Malibu and Cobalt, and, of course, my favorite Mid-Life Crisis car, the MINI Cooper.

If a vehicle can get equal or better mileage than a Smart and offer more room; the buying public will more likely go for that particular vehicle than a Smart or equivalent 2-seater.

Personal take: 2-seater economy/commuter cars in the States are like vodka; people may try them, but they won't necessarily stick with them long-term.

2 to 3 years down the road the Smart may very well go the way of the Ford EXP, the Pontiac Fiero, and even the Toyota MR2 (though the latter ran a few model years longer than the former) only because the cutesy/novelty factor will eventually wear off.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

bok269

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):

An article I read had the EPA mileage estimates for the US Smart car.

Well, to be fair, EPA's numbers are not particularly great.

With the EPA's numbers, you can almost always count on them being less across the board, making the numbers somewhat comparable.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):
I hear you, but it's important to remember that size is not necessarily indicative of safety. The Mini has proven this very well. As I recall, testing has proven that you're safer in a head-on collision in a little Mini than you are in a big F-150.

It is true that the Smart performed very well in crash tests. However, I still wouldn't want to be in a collision with a larger vehicle (which as we all know are plentiful on US roads). This video explains this:

Notice how the Smart travels a great distance in both tests. Compare that to:

"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):
I usually see more Priuses than I see Smarts.

Same in Raleigh. Priuses are a fairly common sight. I think I've seen a grand total of 3 Smarties.

I'd get one if I were car-shopping (my '03 Hyundai Sonata still has a good bit of life left in it) but beyond that my concern with it is that while it's more fuel-efficient, it's 3-cylinder engine requires gas that's a minimum of 91 octane, so for most of us, that means premium gas. I'm not a math whiz here but wouldn't that make it even longer to break even on gas savings than, say, with a Prius which requires 87 octane?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

planewasted

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:04 pm

The smart is overrated. Why not buy a cheap say, Hyundai Atos instead? Half the price and more room, then you can buy gas for the money left over. The difference in fuel consumption is not big, the difference in size is.

[Edited 2008-07-23 07:04:59]

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
I'd take a VW GTI over the Mini.

Me too, and I did.  Smile

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):
To me they are just too small for USA situations, I would be afraid of hitting a NY City pothole and tearing it apart and get a serious injury.

That's the one and only aspect of my car I dislike. Whenever I drive into Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, or over into the Detroit area, I spend most of my time cringing as I try to avoid the potholes in the minefields they call roads.

Although I consider my GTI the best balance of fun, highway comfort, and value out there, I have to admit that if gas prices were low, I'd very seriously consider something like a Toyota FJ. Although not completely necessary, it would make tackling the horrible roads and upper midwest winters much more enjoyable.

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 31):
The smart is overrated. Why not buy a cheap say, Hyundai Atos instead? Half the price and more room, then you can buy gas for the money left over. The difference in fuel consumption is not big, the difference in size is.

Precisely!  yes 

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

northstardc4m

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
I see more than I can count everyday. They are neat little cars, but I'd never buy one. Even though I have a dealership 6 blocks from my house!

Common as muck in the GTA now for sure...

Overpriced for what you get, a VERY small 2 seater. If it was pure electric or some alternative fuel besides gasoline or diesel, it might be worth the price they charge, as it is it's just a hippy-enviro-activist-goodygoody-withtoomuchmoney car, or something you get because you don't have room for something full size in the city (it DOES fit very nicely into "waste spaces" in alot of underground garages i see).

Gas wise it's no better than a Prius and it costs almost the same for a much smaller car.

What scares me is the people that TRY and drive them on the 401... try is the term, the things get to about 105kmh and no more... nuts if you ask me.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm

The smart is overrated. Why not buy a cheap say, Hyundai Atos instead?

They're not marketed in North America, so that's why, for us at least.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

pliersinsight

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):
As I recall, testing has proven that you're safer in a head-on collision in a little Mini than you are in a big F-150.

Safer in all kinds of collisions. Actually, my girlfriend t-boned by a lady making an illegal turn at speed almost 2 years ago. Caused massive amounts of cosmetic damage to her car. The guys at the shop who were fixing it said they had never seen a more overbuilt car for safety in their lives.

If you know anything about physics, such a statement is generally wrong. I'll borrow a Cadillac Escalade ESV and you can take the mini cooper in a head on or offset, each of us doing 35, and I suspect the above statements will prove false.

Driver deaths per 1,000,000 miles:

Small cars: 108

SUVs: 55

Source: IIHS

See also: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-08-19-small-cars_N.htm

davehammer

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm

They're decent enough little cars though they're overpriced for what they are. However I was overtaken by one on the M25 (London orbital highway) the other week and it must have been doing nigh on 85mph. I was sat at about the speed camera friendly 77/78 and it went past at a fair old speed. Wouldn't want to drive one going that quickly though!

planewasted

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Quoting Pliersinsight (Reply 35):

Well, small cars tends to be cheap so that is not totally fair statistics. The mini is an expensive small car. But you are right that heavier cars are safer against lighter cars. But if everyone had light cars that wouldn't be a problem, actually the cars would be safer. That's because weight increases by the cube of size, while structural integrity only increases by square.
The safest cars are larger non-SUV cars (SUVs have bad weight distribution).
Toyota Avensis is the safest car in Swedish statistics (least deaths per accident).

ShyFlyer

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm hearing all sorts of stories about people buying Smart cars as commuter vehicles because their SUVs and trucks cost too much to fill up

This is the rational I used to purchase my scooter. The greater fuel efficiency (55-60mpg) coupled with the reduced wear and tear on my SUV, the savings alone should pay for the scooter sometime next year (I bought it in 2006).
I lift things up and put them down.

N1120A

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:43 pm

If you know anything about physics, such a statement is generally wrong.

According to the same IIHS you cite, the MINI Cooper pulls ratings similar to those of the F150 that was brought up by the other post. Further, it blows out of the water the older F150s, which have terrible safety ratings.

Driver deaths per 1,000,000 miles:

Of course, that does not tell the whole story, such as driving habits and the like.

pliersinsight

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Quoting PlaneWasted (Reply 37):
Toyota Avensis is the safest car in Swedish statistics (least deaths per accident).

From what I recall the Mercedes S class and the Cadillac Deville has the least occupant deaths per 1 million miles driven here in the US. Two very big and very heavy cars.

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Quoting Pliersinsight (Reply 39):
From what I recall the Mercedes S class and the Cadillac Deville has the least occupant deaths per 1 million miles driven here in the US. Two very big and very heavy cars.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Deville's tend to be driven around by retirees at 35mph to and from their weekly shuffleboard game.  Wink

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 38):
I'm hearing all sorts of stories about people buying Smart cars as commuter vehicles because their SUVs and trucks cost too much to fill up

This is the rational I used to purchase my scooter. The greater fuel efficiency (55-60mpg) coupled with the reduced wear and tear on my SUV, the savings alone should pay for the scooter sometime next year (I bought it in 2006).

A scooter, sure. That I can see making financial sense.

But a $15K car? Not so much.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ShyFlyer

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 42):
But a $15K car? Not so much.

checkmark  Especially considering that with topcase and some bungee cords, I can probably carry about the same amount of stuff.
I lift things up and put them down.

Blackprojects

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Sp smart cars are Scarce in the US we have far to many of them in the UK and 3/4 of smart cars over here have been caught speeding by Police speed traps and speed cameras.

They may look slow but they are anything but we even have a Smart Monster truck over here in the UK similar to this only bigger.

Would probably be usfull in New york  old 

OA260

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 pm

The smart is overrated

No its not I have had a Smart car for 4 years and they are very fuel efficient and reliable. I have never had a breakdown or any other issues with it. Brilliant car to get in and out of work and easy to park. I can get into spaces others would not.Handy in a busy car park with limited spaces. Also interior very classy and comfortable. I would never buy any other car now.

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 45):
fuel efficient

reliable

never had a breakdown or any other issues with it.

But you get all of these things in a used Civic at less than half the price. The premium people pay for a Smart car seems like an incredibly steep price to pay for a net benefit of easy parking and potentially nicer interior.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

OA260

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 46):
The premium people pay for a Smart car seems like an incredibly steep price to pay for a net benefit of easy parking and potentially nicer interior.

I would never want a civic . The Smart car is unique and a nice design.

smeg

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Sorry, gotta disagree with you.

Had a Smart Brabus (performance version!!!!) Fantastic little nipper - I am 6ft 4 and fitted it perfectly. 30 litres of fuel got me 400 plus miles. (with the climate control permanently on) Would sit at 80 on the motorway with no problem. Only problem with them was that with the short wheelbase, the ride could sometimes be a bit choppy.

Why did I buy it I hear you cry???

Simple - I worked in London and did not have to pay the congestion charge on it. (saved 8 pounds a day)

Free parking in parts of London for Smart cars (they are so short that you can park them head on into the kerb. - Therefore you can get 3 into one space. (saved at least another 10 pounds a day)

I commuted 70 miles round trip a day in that little devil and it was great. (I would have been happy doing twice that)

I also had 4 sets of body panels for it, so that I could change the car as my mood required.

It was funny - I bought it purely for the commute into London, but tended to use it for most journeys as it was so nippy and easy to park.

Was therefore able to save the sports car for the weekends.

We looked like a very strange household - Range Rover, Porker, and "Dave" the smart car in the driveway!

Two seats was the only problem, but as a spare car, it was simply perfect!

Get one while you can!!!!!

[Edited 2008-07-23 15:42:53]

2H4

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 47):
I would never want a civic . The Smart car is unique and a nice design.

Fair enough. When you take subjective factors into account, your choice makes sense.  Smile

Quoting Smeg (Reply 48):
I worked in London and did not have to pay the congestion charge on it.

Quoting Smeg (Reply 48):
Free parking in parts of London for Smart cars

Interesting points. I wasn't aware of these kinds of benefits.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank