RJdxer
Topic Author

Perhaps No Town Hall Debates Per Obama Camp?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 am

Looks like Sen. Obama's handlers want to keep him on a script as much as possible. According to the blurb at the bottom of the story there might not be any town hall style debates this fall per the Obama campaign.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...c_news_defends_obama_coverage.html

Addressing upcoming campaign coverage, NBC political director Chuck Todd said he doubts there will be any "town hall" style events with McCain and Obama this summer, largely because "the Obama camp seems hesitant." He noted that weekly debates will begin Sept. 26.

Anybody who saw his press conference today would understand why. Once the teleprompter is off the UH's and OH's and Hmmm's come out of the wood work. But of course that will be overlooked unlike with our current President.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84

RE: Perhaps No Town Hall Debates Per Obama Camp?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 am

With as many gaffes as Sen. McCain has been making on the stump lately, I'd tell Obama to take him on in a heartbeat.

I thnk you'll see the townhall meetings happen. The pre-debate/town hall meeting dance has just begun.
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
With as many gaffes as Sen. McCain has been making on the stump lately, I'd tell Obama to take him on in a heartbeat.

So would I. It's one thing to misspeak a name and have to correct yourself. It is quite something else to stand there for 10 seconds or more UHing and OHing while you try and remember what you are supposed to say. As shown today, he is not a great ad libber. It's hard to do and I can understand why his people want to stick to known questions where he can rehearse his answers.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 am

Very few are good Ad-libbers. Bill Clinton may have been one of the best ad-libbers as a politician. He is, by his nature, a story-teller, and those are the best ad-libbers around there, next to stand-up comedians.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Platypus

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:44 am

Obama's chickening out, plain and simple!

He would not fair well in such a environment, because Obama's a product, a product programed to do what ever is politically experiment for him to win the election. He's had numerous positions on a number of issues. Well, change is what Obama wants, well, it's something he does every day!

Obama has an ability to speak well, however, his thinking logically is severely limited, and sort sighted! If only the liberal media would do their job and expose Obama for the true phony he is?

Cheerio
Don't Block the Shot

Platypus

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):

Nonsense,
Oh, like Obama's Pastor Rev. Wright were any better? sarcastic 

It's Obama who's the one making all the gaffes. I thought the Clinton's were bad when it came to being disingenuous, and saying anything to win an election! Obama put's them to shame. His trip to the Mid-East, is a complete fraud, because without the Surge, which he was against, he would not have been able to go to Iraq.

I used to like Obama, but with each passing day, it becomes more and more obvious, what a fake he is. That, coupled with the disingenuous stunts by Media [ie New York Times etc], really gets my blood boiling!

Cheerio
Don't Block the Shot

Confuscius

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting Platypus (Reply 5):
It's Obama who's the one making all the gaffes.

Where does McCain want the town hall meetings, in Czechoslovakia or Iraq near the Pakistan border?
Ain't I a stinker?

stlgph

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting Platypus (Reply 4):

sure.

and how many Obama events have you been to?

and how many McCain events have you been to?

Quoting RJdxer (Thread starter):
Addressing upcoming campaign coverage, NBC political director Chuck Todd said he doubts there will be any "town hall" style events with McCain and Obama this summer, largely because "the Obama camp seems hesitant." He noted that weekly debates will begin Sept. 26.

Anybody who saw his press conference today would understand why. Once the teleprompter is off the UH's and OH's and Hmmm's come out of the wood work. But of course that will be overlooked unlike with our current President.

but actually you're entirely off the mark, altogether.

McCain is all about doing individual town hall events catering to Fox News one time, then NBC the next, then CNN another, etc. at one time he wasn't but he seems to have changed his mind.

the Obama camp wants all networks to have equal access at one time.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

AirStairs

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:26 am

Anybody who saw his press conference today would understand why. Once the teleprompter is off the UH's and OH's and Hmmm's come out of the wood work.

"I think that it-....the definition of success.............depends on how you look at it."

How convenient.

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:46 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):
the Obama camp wants all networks to have equal access at one time

Since there is evidently one a week planned there seems to plenty for all. I think it has more to do with Obama's handlers knowing how badly he does when not on script. I have yet to see him wing it where he does not stammer.

jcs17

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:54 am

Obama is a mess without a teleprompter or prepared remarks. He's a good orator with prepared material, but without it he does a lot of "Uhhh's," "Ummm's," he backtracks, and says a lot of things that are opposite from what he has previously stated. Unprepared to speak, or unprepared to lead.... I think it's both  Smile
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Platypus

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:56 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 6):
Where does McCain want the town hall meetings

Places where ordinary people like you and me can go to see them and ask questions! Places where Obama won't have the liberal media there to protect him!

sure.

and how many Obama events have you been to?

and how many McCain events have you been to?

What's your point?

Cheerio

P. S. Obama's chicken and running away!

cry 
Don't Block the Shot

AirStairs

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:07 am

the Obama camp wants all networks to have equal access at one time.

Why would you want to have a press box full of cameras and media men at a meeting that is supposed to be personal and informal?

Confuscius

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:08 am

Quoting Platypus (Reply 11):
Places where ordinary people like you and me can go to see them and ask questions! Places where Obama won't have the liberal media there to protect him!

Will Sen. Lieberman be present to correct Sen. McCain's gaffe?

Ain't I a stinker?

Falcon84

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 am

It's Obama who's the one making all the gaffes.

Where does McCain want the town hall meetings, in Czechoslovakia or Iraq near the Pakistan border?

rotfl 

You'll have to just ignore Platypus. He's simply a PR machine for anything with "GOP" in front of it. Facts don't deter him from that quest.

Truth hurts, I guess, Platypus. But McCain is the one who has been making gaffe after gaffe on the campaign trail.

As for this whole non issue-and what else has the GOP apologists on here been pushing except non issues-there will be debates, and probably a town-hall meeting or two. It's still JULY, for Chrissake. None of this will even happen till after the conventions.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AirStairs

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 13):

If not, CBS will be there to catch it! I don't really give two s**ts about how often Mr Obama or Mr McCain misspeak or misappropriate blahblah. We treat both of these people as if they are somehow not human and, if electable, not prone to error. This is why television has ruined politics.

Really, whichever one makes it to office is going to have thousands of employees at his disposal to correct any immaterial misunderstandings such as this one. Sure there is a "BIG" difference between Iran training al-Qaeda v any old "extremist," but it's not like either would have the chance to pick up the Oval Office phone or even think of acting on an intelligence misunderstanding before being corrected.

But I do make a distinction between factual mistakes and the following: hedging arguments, qualifying them to the hilt as to make a position "safe," vagaries, and the like.

stlgph

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting Platypus (Reply 11):
What's your point?

Cheerio

P. S. Obama's chicken and running away!

my point is ... you don't have one.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 9):
Since there is evidently one a week planned there seems to plenty for all. I think it has more to do with Obama's handlers knowing how badly he does when not on script. I have yet to see him wing it where he does not stammer.

and you're wrong.

Obama's stood up in front of thousands of people before and has spoke without any problems. he's also stood up in front of a small group of people and hasn't had any problems.

McCain hasn't.

but of course we don't want to discuss that aspect, now do we....?

but also, no, there isn't "plenty for all." this is the real deal ... the final two. there should be no network precedence over any single debate at this stage of the game.

both parties agree. the Obama agrees. the McCain camp doesn't.

AirStairs

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
GOP apologists

If I am a GOP apologist (hardly), what does that make you? A Democratic apologist? Or is that term only for those you disagree with?

Falcon84

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:36 am

Quoting AirStairs (Reply 16):
If I am a GOP apologist (hardly), what does that make you? A Democratic apologist? Or is that term only for those you disagree with?

Why so defensive? How do you know I'm even including you. In fact, I didn't even think of you when I wrote that. There are quite a few others way in front of you in that line.  Smile

And I constantly disagree with a lot of conservatives on here, but respect the hell out of some of them: ANCFlyer, DL021, NWA742, UH60FRucker (did I get that right?). But there are a lot who I don't agree with who I could care less about as well.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AirStairs

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:39 am

My question is how does that make them apologists?

stlgph

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 am

Quoting AirStairs (Reply 19):

read this website more often.

czbbflier

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 am

because without the Surge, which he was against, he would not have been able to go to Iraq.

And if there had been no war, there would have been no need for a Surge- at the expense of even more American lives!

That, coupled with the disingenuous stunts by Media [ie New York Times etc], really gets my blood boiling!

It might be time to chill out 'cause between now and November, when Obama wins the election thanks, in part to a successful media strategy that exploits both the "extreme left wing" liberal media and even the fact-based, never-tell-a-lie, moderate, middle-of-the-ground, tell-it-like-it-is, spin-free Fox News and LEGITIMATELY wins the Presidency, you could very well have a brain aneurism!

That's funny- I thought he meant in Iran near the Pakistan border!  rotfl 

czbbflier

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 am

Looks like Sen. Obama's handlers want to keep him on a script as much as possible. According to the blurb at the bottom of the story there might not be any town hall style debates this fall per the Obama campaign.

As I suggested in another thread last week about Bush maybe wanting to attack Iran if it looked like Obama was going to win the election... let's cross that bridge when we get there.

THIS IS AN * * * OUTRAGEOUS * * * EXAMPLE OF MEDIA BIAS!!!!!

THIS EXTREME RIGHT WING MEDIA OUTLET, NBC, HAS UNFAIRLY SANDBAGGED OBAMA!!!!!

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!

Holy Crap NBC Makes me MAD! How DARE they accuse the annointed occupant-to-be of the White House of refusing to debate! How DARE they even make that public! Barack Obama is perfect- he has and can do no wrong!!!! How DARE they shed poor ol' Obama this way!

Did they include the Obama camp's reasons for hesitating ??????

NO THEY DIDN'T !!!!

WHERE'S THE FAIRNESS IN THAT !?!?!?!?!?!?

Oooooooh that Extreme right winger Chuck Todd is so unfair and mean to poor ol' Barack Obama!

Makes me want to throw a hammer through the TV when I see Todd !!!!!!!!!

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:10 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
Obama's stood up in front of thousands of people before and has spoke without any problems. he's also stood up in front of a small group of people and hasn't had any problems.

McCain hasn't.

So let me get this straight. You are actually saying that Sen. Obama has not had his bad moments when trying to speak off the cuff yet Sen. McCain has failed in every attempt to speak off the cuff. If that is so, then we did not watch the same press conference this morning.

baroque

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:08 am

I can see there are going to be a lot of (un) happy campers in the US whoever gets elected.

If O'bama, the well known Irishman, were to be a chicken, might that not be less confusing than having a chicken hawk? Just a suggestion, no need to get upset!

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 13):
Ah thank you C, that little gem did not seep down to the anti podes. We are very VERY anti podes down here.

Now I realise that I might need more explanation. I got the Iraq/Iran but now I wonder if there is a gem about Czechoslovakia that I have missed. At first I thought it was a reference to a Bushian type of confusion, but now I realise there might be a bit more. Can you help Confuscius. I don't like to miss these gems!

Back in 1976, someone made a tape of the "umms" "ahhhs" and mis-speaks (with all the correct words omitted) from the first Ford Carter debate and it was played on PBS. I had to pull my car over to the kerb it was so funny. I imagine since then even better tapes have been prepared. I do admire the enthusiasm of a few for US elections, I just wonder why most (or close to most) do not bother to vote!

Confuscius

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:47 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 24):
now I wonder if there is a gem about Czechoslovakia that I have missed.

Here's Sen. McCain in his own words...not once but twice. Ironically one remark came at a town hall meeting and unfortunately for him Sen. Lieberman wasn't there to correct him.

[Edited 2008-07-23 00:49:08]
Ain't I a stinker?

baroque

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 25):
Here's Sen. McCain in his own words...not once but twice. Ironically one remark came at a town hall meeting and unfortunately for him Sen. Lieberman wasn't there to correct him.

Well, we were both right to assume I could not figure that one out without some help. Thank you indeed Confuscius, these little gems appear not to have travelled until this thread.

Hint for McCain, try calling it Persia.

The funny thing is that Russia is not even cutting off gas to the Ukraine at present AFAIK.

They warm up an otherwise bleak, grey and for us very wintery day.

Looks as if "they" will have to make up a long playing DVD of "the best of " by the time the campaign ends. I look forward to you keeping us updated on the latest Confuscius. And it can be an equal opportunity update, a humorous out-take is a humorous out-take.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 am

I think both don't really want 'Town Hall' type so called 'debates' as they fear that real questions on very controversial issues like abortion, race, taxes, gay marriage, oil prices, controversial government programs and so on being asked. Then again too, neither want real debates, they want well expected questions to which they have well prepared and rehearsed answers. They want something they can control, where they can't control those attending 'town hall' sessions and the questions they may ask.

Confuscius

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 26):
The funny thing is that Russia is not even cutting off gas to the Ukraine at present AFAIK

So, even if Czechoslovakia did exist he still got the wrong country. I guess if you've seen one eastern European country, you've seen them all, huh?  scratchchin 
Ain't I a stinker?

VonRichtofen

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Hehehe

What is McCain's plan for troop withdrawl from Mesopotamia?

Will he get tough with the wild card Babylonians?

It'll be an interesting election for sure.

Aaron747

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:29 pm

They should just have a pronunciation contest instead of a town hall meeting. Obama will win for how he says "Pakistan" and "Taliban", and McCain will score points for not being a "multi-culti fruitcake", as some have referred to Obama for having the audacity to correctly pronounce other people's placenames without an American twang.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

StarAC17

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:31 am

I wouldn't if I was him either as the GOP has done the same old that they do for every democratic candidate, as well he pisses off his base. Obama wants out of Iraq he's genetically engineered by moveon.orgm he considers changing his position he's a flip flopper. He is criticized for not visiting Iraq and finally goes and gets criticized both times.

However I could see him pissing off McCain in one of these and making him lose his temper which could very well happen during the fall debates.

Quoting Platypus (Reply 4):
He would not fair well in such a environment, because Obama's a product, a product programed to do what ever is politically experiment for him to win the election. He's had numerous positions on a number of issues. Well, change is what Obama wants, well, it's something he does every day!

Both sides do this your are just attacking the party you don't like, McCain once opposed those tax cuts Bush proposed and now he is for them, he was against drilling and now is for it and the media claims that he changes his position citing conditions have changed and those same people that say that would be on Obama lightning fast if he said Iraq is working and I think it should go on.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 10):
Obama is a mess without a teleprompter or prepared remarks. He's a good orator with prepared material, but without it he does a lot of "Uhhh's," "Ummm's," he backtracks, and says a lot of things that are opposite from what he has previously stated. Unprepared to speak, or unprepared to lead.... I think it's both Smile

He is a smart guy but he does stutter a lot but McCain is no better, just look up that birth control vs Viagra gaffe.

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 22):
Holy Crap NBC Makes me MAD! How DARE they accuse the annointed occupant-to-be of the White House of refusing to debate! How DARE they even make that public! Barack Obama is perfect- he has and can do no wrong!!!! How DARE they shed poor ol' Obama this way!

NBC and Fox balance each other out and Fox does the same thing on the other side, They have attacked Obama on his religion and guns gaffe, Rev. Wright and Obama not wearing a flag pin. But they haven't said squat about Phil Gramm's statement, the fact that McCain's geography is just as bad and could be even worse than Bush just to name a few.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

stlgph

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:04 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 23):
So let me get this straight. You are actually saying that Sen. Obama has not had his bad moments when trying to speak off the cuff yet Sen. McCain has failed in every attempt to speak off the cuff. If that is so, then we did not watch the same press conference this morning.

i've seen them both speak numerous times. dozens.

you haven't.

and if you think "stuttering" or what not makes a person a bad presidential prospect, um ... yoo hoo *hello* to your almighty George Bush.

RJdxer
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 32):
i've seen them both speak numerous times. dozens.

you haven't.

That doesn't answer my question.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 32):
and if you think "stuttering" or what not makes a person a bad presidential prospect, um ... yoo hoo *hello* to your almighty George Bush.

My point exactly. More than one member here has made numerous posts complaining that when President Bush speaks it is how he speaks that embarrasses them yet now you have a candidate for office that just hemmed and hawed his way through an entire press conference, not the first time I might add, and now it is somehow not a problem or draw back. My my, I guess this is part of "change"?

baroque

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 29):
What is McCain's plan for troop withdrawl from Mesopotamia?

Let us hope that the Assyrians come down like a wolf on the fold then?

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 28):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 26):
The funny thing is that Russia is not even cutting off gas to the Ukraine at present AFAIK

So, even if Czechoslovakia did exist he still got the wrong country. I guess if you've seen one eastern European country, you've seen them all, huh?

Indeed. A colleague was arrested in Czechoslovakia some years ago - I think his camera offended the locals. And then about 6 years later, I got arrested in Belgrade (well taken into the top cop shop and threatened with 16 years for espionage). The supposed crime was first being bumped by JAT and as a result taking a taxi whose driver was stupid enough to swear at a policeman. So yes, they are all the same! Especially the ones that do not exist.

Confuscius

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:36 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 27):

Quoting Baroque (Reply 34):

To be fair, Sen. McCain was but a wee lad during Nebuchadnezzar's reign. We can't hold that against him.
Ain't I a stinker?

daedaeg

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm surprised Obama isn't better at Ad-libbing. I always assumed attorneys had a niche for doing that.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

baroque

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 35):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 34):

To be fair, Sen. McCain was but a wee lad during Nebuchadnezzar's reign. We can't hold that against him.

But are you sure about that Confuscius? He holds his age well.  Big grin (McC not King Neb!)