Dead UPS Driver Gets Special Delivery

Fellow Delivery Man Drives Body To Services

http://www.newsnet5.com/money/17005480/detail.html
You can cut the irony with a knife

GuitrThree

RE: UPS Truly Delivers Everything!

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:04 pm

You know, that's pretty cool.

It's refreshing to see someone who actually worked for a ultra large company and didn't see them as the devil like so many people do today. He loved his job and company. And a co-worker seems to have helped him in his final wish.

Too bad its people like this who die way too early.

RIP.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

luv2fly

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 1):
You know, that's pretty cool.

It's refreshing to see someone who actually worked for a ultra large company and didn't see them as the devil like so many people do today. He loved his job and company. And a co-worker seems to have helped him in his final wish.

Too bad its people like this who die way too early.

RIP.

I agree with your thoughts and also hats off to UPS for allowing this and not taking a big company stance that we can not do something like this.
You can cut the irony with a knife

JCKastrup

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:38 pm

In Denmark we had a guy a couple of years back that took his dad's body on a last Harley-Davidson ride across the country.

The police were not amused by this stunt, and fined him for not calling authorities when he found his old man dead.....
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

WestJetForLife

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Hats off to this gentleman (the one driving the truck). He shows what UPS drivers really are: kind, courteous, and willing to do anything for their co-workers.

I feel better about working for UPS after reading this story.

Cheers,
Nik
I need a drink.

lincoln

Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 2):
I agree with your thoughts and also hats off to UPS for allowing this and not taking a big company stance that we can not do something like this.

UPS actually seems like a relatively cool large company -- I know the driver that hits my company's office is fantastic, and I've never heard him say anything other than 100% positive about the company.

Seems like something that a lot of companies have lost focus of: You take care of your employees, your employees take care of you.

Lincoln
(And I'll never forget the time back in California when I needed to drive to the depot to pick something up and the preson on the phone said "drive about 2 miles down the dirt road, turn left, then just go in to the warehouse and tell the first person you see what you're looking for" [UPS...2 miles down a dirt road! Couldn't beleive it even while I was driving down the road])
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

aace24

Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 4):
Hats off to this gentleman (the one driving the truck). He shows what UPS drivers really are: kind, courteous, and willing to do anything for their co-workers.

I feel better about working for UPS after reading this story.

A fellow UPSer I see.  Wink

I too feel great about working for them after this. Although the job is hard physical work, we are rewarded with great benefits and pay.

Confuscius

Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:35 am

Does anyone know which cemetery he was buried? I'm trying to figure out what it would cost to ship from the funeral home to the cemetery. BTW, the funeral home's zip code is 60010.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/fctc/processfctcentry

[Edited 2008-07-27 17:38:10]
Ain't I a stinker?

alfa75

Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 am

Pretty cool, but don't you need to be licensed (not a CDL I'm assuming) but a herse license?
The best things in life aren't things!

lincoln

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:18 am

The other question is was he Ground, Red tag, 2nd day, Custom Critical

Quoting Alfa75 (Reply 8):
Pretty cool, but don't you need to be licensed (not a CDL I'm assuming) but a herse license?

I'm sure it depends on the state, but I don't see why if you have a CDL what's in the back matters as long as it's not passengers or hazmat.

Not to be crass, but slap the NEXT DAY AIR EARLY AM red tag on the casket and how is it any different than the millions of other packages UPS delivers on any given day?
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

57AZ

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:02 am

Anyone with a regular driver's license can drive a hearse. Now, if you're driving the stage (car that carries the family) or a limousine, you might need a chauffeur's license. Difference between a stage and a limousine is that a funeral stage traditionally has six doors whereas the limousine has only four or five. Typically, all of the stage's seats face the front. Some limousines have an additional fifth or sixth door with no visible external door handles and a reversible middle seat. Those cars are often called 24 hour cars.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

DABZF

Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 am

That's nice, very nice  Smile

But this is a bit too much... even from a Dane  silly 

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 3):
In Denmark we had a guy a couple of years back that took his dad's body on a last Harley-Davidson ride across the country.

The police were not amused by this stunt, and fined him for not calling authorities when he found his old man dead.....

I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

57AZ

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 3):

Here in the states, there is at least one coach works that now builds motorcycle hearses. The casket can either be carried in a sidecar position or behind the power unit. The casket carrier is a handcrafted metal frame with glass windows on all sides-very similar in construction to the horse drawn hearses of yesteryear.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

JCKastrup

Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 12):
Here in the states, there is at least one coach works that now builds motorcycle hearses. The casket can either be carried in a sidecar position or behind the power unit. The casket carrier is a handcrafted metal frame with glass windows on all sides-very similar in construction to the horse drawn hearses of yesteryear.

Only in America.....
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

EMBQA

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 5):
UPS actually seems like a relatively cool large company -- I know the driver that hits my company's office is fantastic, and I've never heard him say anything other than 100% positive about the company.

My information is only based off dealing with UPS drivers for years... but yea, from what I've been told UPS takes very good care of their employees. They expect a lot... but pay, benefits and stock options are second to none. I remember reading back when UPS went public they made several of their employees and drivers Millionaires overnight....
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

stlgph

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:43 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 14):

I've never heard a bad thing about UPS from anybody who has worked there.

And I've not heard bad things about FedEx, either.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

WESTERN737800

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 am

In my job I deal with UPS employees in various locations. They have deadlines, pressure, and stress. If I was a UPS driver I dont know if I would last a week. In 10+ years I've never had a bad experience with any of them. Most of them have been with UPS for 10-25 years. They're a great bunch to work with.
Bring back Western Airlines!

Cadet57

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 am

Here in MA, the laws are really screwy. To drive a hearse, you need to be a licensed funeral director or apprentice, but there are no laws in regards to average people transporting a body except that the health department has to be notified and the body must be placed in a proper outer container that is contained within the enitre vehicle and the container must be fully sealed.

But what really gets me is our first call van HAS to have hearse plates and only a licensed funeral director or apprentice can transport a body in that vehicle, but its not against the law for a loved one to do the same in their car. Makes no sense.

Reminds me of a case I had in class. Womans mother died. The woman-in her 60's- wanted to drive the deceased to MICHIGAN, on her own. In the end the logistics of getting transport permits for every state she'd drive thru convinced her otherwise but there was nothing stopping her within MA so long as the body was properly contained and fully within her vehicle..

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 9):
I'm sure it depends on the state, but I don't see why if you have a CDL what's in the back matters as long as it's not passengers or hazmat.

see my above reply.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 10):
Anyone with a regular driver's license can drive a hearse

Not in MA. A licensed funeral director or apprentice.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 10):
Now, if you're driving the stage (car that carries the family) or a limousine, you might need a chauffeur's license

We get our's from a livery service so I have no idea what the licensing is.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

WestJetForLife

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:01 am

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 6):
I too feel great about working for them after this. Although the job is hard physical work, we are rewarded with great benefits and pay.

Physically speaking, it is very hard, however you are right. We do get benefits and pay that is second to none.

Plus...most of us actually have FUN at work...something I wish Wal-Mart would pick up on.

Nik
I need a drink.

ACDC8

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 am

Nice to see co-workers showing this kind of respect to their fellow workers, deceased or not.

A bit off topic, but everytime I see a UPS truck I just picture Doug Heffernan driving it.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Aviation

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:24 am

It is a nice story to hear in modern times, I think a lot of us forget about work, being more than just 'work' and also being about the people you are involved with.
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

Revelation

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 18):
We do get benefits and pay that is second to none.

Apprarently so: I've never heard of any other company giving hearse service as a benefit, except perhaps those in the funeral business already!
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

57AZ

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:19 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):

Apprarently so: I've never heard of any other company giving hearse service as a benefit, except perhaps those in the funeral business already!

You'd be surprised. Back before my time at the Tennessee Valley Railroad, a young volunteer passed on due to oral cancer-the result of years of tobacco use. The cemetery in which he was buried is located near the railroad's eastern terminal, so the procession was broken up. The motorcade left the chapel and proceeded to the railroad's western terminal where the hearse and stages unloaded. The passengers and casket were carried by train the three miles from East Chattanooga to Grand Junction where the hearse and stages met the train and transferred the casket and passengers the short distance to the cemetery.

Some street railways also provided funeral transportation for employees as well as the general public. I have a photograph of a streetcar used for the funeral of a motorman in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Brill and other builders did offer specially built funeral cars. The funeral cars were ornately finished and provided accommodations for both casket and mourners. The casket was carried in a highly finished compartment located directly behind the motorman's platform. In some designs, the casket slid in and out via small doors located on each side of the car. On others, caskets were end loaded and sat on a bier. Large glass windows allowed the casket to be seen from the outside. The compartments were lined with fine woods and the doors between compartments fitted with beautiful stained glass windows. The passengers sat in a comfortably furnished cabin at the rear of the car, usually fitted with parlor car style seats. One such car survives in the collection of the Orange Empire Railway Museum at Perris, California-Descanso.