johnboy

Soy Makes You Gay

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 pm

.....so says this guest "contributor" to everyone's favorite looney far, far-right wing web site , WorldNetDaily.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

dtwclipper

RE: Soy Makes You Gay

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Quoting Johnboy (Thread starter):
Soy Makes You Gay

This article reads as if it were written for the Onion!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

signol

Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 pm

That's why there are so many people in China?  Wink

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

MaverickM11

Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:28 pm

I thought it made you "hippie", not gay Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

TylerDurden

Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):
Soy Makes You Gay

Damn, I thought it was sleeping with the same sex.

Dougloid

Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 4):
Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):
Soy Makes You Gay

Damn, I thought it was sleeping with the same sex.

Kinda reminds me of a joke I once heard:

How can you tell your roommate is gay?

Because his __________ tastes like __________.

fill in the blanks. It'll be fun.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

seb146

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:09 pm

This should be fun:

Let's do a little math, shall we?

First time I knew I liked guys: 11 years old
First time I did anything with a guy: 19 years old
First serious boyfriend: 23 years old
First time trying soy anything: 26 years old

Yeah... his logic holds up... (rolls eyes)
Life in the wall is a drag.

huskyaviation

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Soy Makes You Gay

Soy didn't make me gay, but I do hate those SoyJoy commercials--"fortified with optimism". Not only is the commercial dumb, but WTF is the slogan supposed to mean??

iairallie

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 7):
Soy didn't make me gay, but I do hate those SoyJoy commercials--"fortified with optimism". Not only is the commercial dumb, but WTF is the slogan supposed to mean??

I hate em too. Not only that but the product tastes truely foul. I got one for free with purchase at LAX. It was really really nasty.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

slider

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:25 pm

The headline is written for shock value, but there is some credence to the growing school of thought among the health community that soy has many health risks to it, and the estrogen isoflavones could very well have a conceivable impact on the sexual development of infants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1828158,00.html

Even the UK is starting to come around to the risks processed soy presents. It's not implausible to reflect on it.

DFW13L

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:15 pm

Interesting article. Perhaps a bit off the deep end, but that makes it entertaining.

Luckily I have protection. I have a soy allergy!
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

AS737900

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:21 pm

I was not lactose tolerant as a baby and was fed soy formula. I turned out straight. Therefore I have killed this author's theory. IMHO, I think this guy's article earns the stupid opinion piece of the week award.

slider

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting AS737900 (Reply 11):
I was not lactose tolerant as a baby and was fed soy formula. I turned out straight. Therefore I have killed this author's theory. IMHO, I think this guy's article earns the stupid opinion piece of the week award.

Rather linear thinking and illogical, isn’t it? The author, nor any of the scads of research that has been cited, doesn’t make a causal correlation saying that if you have soy formula you’d become gay.

It’s simply saying that there could be a correlation. Given the endocrine system, a veritable ‘overdose’ of estrogen due to soy milk (both the UK Guardian and this article cited something akin to 5 birth control pills’ worth) means it’s entirely possible that there could be some consequence.

Regardless of this individual item, there are many demonstrable adverse impacts associated with processed soy. That alone should scare the hell out of everyone, really. We eat far too much in the way of processed foods—soy, carbs, sugars, starches, preservatives, you name it.

bhmbaglock

Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 5):
How can you tell your roommate is gay?

Because his __________ tastes like __________.

fill in the blanks. It'll be fun.

David Sedaris did mention in his latest book that he thought a particular brand of Japanese Soy Snacks did taste "vaguely of penis". Now we have the explanation apparently.  Smile

btw, if you haven't read or heard his bit on going to Tokyo of all places to quit smoking - you should. It's one of the funniest things ever. It's from his latest book, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames."
Where are all of my respected members going?

Zone1

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 pm

For every negative of soy there are plenty of other benefits. Soy is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and DHA. The phytoestrogen effect is still extremely inconclusive. Some studies say it might increase your risk for cancer but others say it might decrease it. One thing is for certain, it won't make you gay. But I am not an unbiased source since I work for a very large agribusiness that processes soy in the soybean capital of the world.
/// U N I T E D

SpinalTap

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting Zone1 (Reply 14):
For every negative of soy there are plenty of other benefits. Soy is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and DHA

Much rather have salmon, as for me I try and avoid soy as much as possible, for those interested take a look at:
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 6):
First time trying soy anything: 26 years old

Not that I believe the claims of the author above, but have you ever eaten anything processed from the supermarket, bread for example commonly has soy flour in it, I don't think it is possible to reach 26 years and never had something with soy in it.
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

KevinL1011

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:03 am

Soy Makes You Gay

Dang! So that's it!  idea 
I was wondering why my decorating skills and desire to go shopping have increased.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Doona

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):
I thought it made you "hippie", not gay

Damn those Chinese hippies!

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:54 am

*runs out to feed everyone soy*

OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!!  Wink

:lol:
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

kalakaua

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am

Soy is gay, because eating meat isn't.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

comorin

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:29 pm

I am not sure ingesting phytoestrogen (or testosterone) makes much difference in blood levels of the hormone.

Estrogen is currently being used by Urologists to stimulate the production of testosterone in the 50-plus male crowd, as my fellow boomers plan to live forever.

vermeer

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Oh, Now I know what did it!
I drink soy and I am gay. Perfect logic. Now I onto other pressing questions: chintz: elegant or tacky?  Yeah sure

johnboy

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting Vermeer (Reply 21):
Now I onto other pressing questions: chintz: elegant or tacky?

Elegantly tacky!

( oh christ, that didn't come from me...that was the tofu hot dog talking)

TWFirst

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 12):
Regardless of this individual item, there are many demonstrable adverse impacts associated with processed soy.

Such as?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Quoting Kalakaua (Reply 19):

Idunno 'bout that, but I saw somewhere that "if you've put a soy latte to your lips, you've had a man there too"
E pur si muove -Galileo

slider

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 23):
Such as?

Did you not read the article?

While many of you may denounce Rutz's article as incendiary and reactionary (and as I said, the first part’s title is rather inflammatory), if you read the full 6 part feature, as well as the UK Guardian article, you’ll see that both are very well referenced in terms of medical research, sources and factual basis to back it up.

Look, just forget about the soy/gay thing. Disregard that if you want. The point is that the proliferation of processed soy in Western diets has a consequence—and more people are wakening to that notion. That’s hardly the stuff of crackpot lunatics, but of people who are concerned about the overall public health.

Dougloid

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
Quoting Kalakaua (Reply 19):

Idunno 'bout that, but I saw somewhere that "if you've put a soy latte to your lips, you've had a man there too"

Well, I've never had that somewhat questionable pleasure although it is said that one in a thousand males can have that pleasure all by themselves. That'd be worth a dollar to watch.

On the other hand if it promoted cross gender....ahem....amorousness, I'd probably be out in a soybean field having an orgy right now.

Fact is, one of the more common mold metabolites found in grain is zearalanone, which is a potent estrogen mimicing compound. Be very careful when eating anything that has mold or fermentation in the process.

Check this out.

http://classes.ansci.uiuc.edu/ansc438/Mamdevelop/modulators.html

Phytoestrogens
Plants compounds with estrogenic activity are one type of endocrine modulator. Many plants with estrogenic activity have been identified (see the Table below). Phytoestrogens are a broad group of plant-derived compounds that are structurally and functionally similar to estrogen and have a range of estrogenic activity in animals. Soybean phytoestrogens include several isoflavones, as well as a range of nonisoflavone compounds with estrogenic activity. Isoflavones are prevalent in soybeans, a primary livestock feed ingredient, as well as an ingredient in human diets. The only way to determine the value and utility of phytoestrogens in manipulating reproductive function in livestock is to directly test the compounds in the animal. Information about the effects of phytoestrogens in livestock species is limiting progress in this field, and information in the pig is particularly lacking. This project will establish fundamental information on the in vivo effects of administration of the soybean phytoestrogen, genistein, on reproductive tissues in female swine.

A partial list of plants which contain estrogenic compounds:

Alfalfa
Anise
Grapefruit
Rape (that's canola, numbnuts)

Ladino clover
Apple
Green beans
Red beans

Red clover
Black tea
Green tea
Red wine

Sorghum
Cabbage
Hops
Rice

Soybeans
Carrot
Kudzu root
Rye

Subterranean clover
Cherry
Liquorice
Sage

Coffee
Marijuana
Sesame

Barley
Date palm
Palmetto grass
Soya sprouts

Blue grass
Fennel
Parsley
Strawberry

Oats
Flax seed
Peas
Sunflower seed

Orchard grass
French beans
Pomegranate
Tomato

Wheat
Garlic
Potato

Wink

vermeer

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
if you've put a soy latte to your lips, you've had a man there too"

All in a sudden I am having this irresistible urge to run downstairs and buy an iced coffee... Big grin

kmh1956

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 7):
but WTF is the slogan supposed to mean

It's fortified with uppers?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Zone1

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 25):
Be very careful when eating anything that has mold or fermentation in the process.

So you are implying that cheese, yogurt, beer, and wine are dangerous too?
/// U N I T E D

DocLightning

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 26):
While many of you may denounce Rutz's article as incendiary and reactionary (and as I said, the first part’s title is rather inflammatory), if you read the full 6 part feature, as well as the UK Guardian article, you’ll see that both are very well referenced in terms of medical research, sources and factual basis to back it up.

Actually, I did read it. And few of the references he cited said what he claimed they did.

When you have to lie to prove your point, your point ain't valid.r
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Dougloid

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Quoting Zone1 (Reply 29):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 25):
Be very careful when eating anything that has mold or fermentation in the process.

So you are implying that cheese, yogurt, beer, and wine are dangerous too?

All I can tell you is that I did a study of mold metabolites as part of a stillborn project on animal feeds, and I was surprised at the nasty stuff the little buggers spew out. Nobody really has any idea why it is that molds produce such stuff, but they do. One of the more sinister is zearalanone which is a metabolite that is a powerful estrogen mimic that causes spontaneous abortions in animals when fed grain that is contaminated with it. There's a local farmer around here who lost about thirty per cent of his pigs one year from the stuff.

I did a little googling and I found that list of stuff that has estrogenic effects.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 31):
All I can tell you is that I did a study of mold metabolites as part of a stillborn project on animal feeds, and I was surprised at the nasty stuff the little buggers spew out. Nobody really has any idea why it is that molds produce such stuff, but they do.

Fungi make all sorts of nasty treats for animals. It's all part of the great battle called "Evolution." Fungi make poisons, animals make antidotes. Many of these fungal poisons have medicinal uses. For example, both cyclosporine and tacrolimus, which are immunosuppressants used in transplant medicine, are fungal products. Another well-known treat is psilocybin.

The liver has an entire set of enzymes collectively called the cytochrome P-450 system. These enzymes are charged with detoxifying the vast majority of these compounds before they get past the liver.

However, I have seen many claims that soy is bad because of this or that reason. I have not, however, seen a heck of a lot of good, sound evidence.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Dougloid

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
Another well-known treat is psilocybin.

makes you kinda wonder....imagine the critters laying off munching on the shrooms because they're too busy groovin'. perhaps that should be a homily on the notion that sometimes fungi are smarter than people.

Doc, have you ever read H.G. Wells' "The Purple Pileus"?

It's an enjoyable diversion on the subject of shrooms.

http://www.online-literature.com/wellshg/2876/