klm672

A Question About College Credits And Transfers

Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Hello. This fall I will be finishing up my associates degree from a local community college in VT. I applied to Daniel Webster College for Fall but decieded to opt for finishing my degree due to not having all my credits transfer. I didnt want to take classes like "Drawing 101" over again because it didn't transfer. My question is, once i receive my Associates degree in Liberal arts, can I then move onto a bacholor program with Webster or will they not "acknolege the degree" since some of the creidts that counted towards a degree for liberal arts at my community college did not transfer for them? Or it once I have that little paper saying I have an assocites, am i ok to move onto any bachelor progam at any college?
Thanks,
Andre

co777er

RE: A Question About College Credits And Transfers

Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Best thing to do is email the question here:registrar@dwc.edu
or call: 603-577-6510

Dougloid

Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Quoting KLM672 (Thread starter):
Hello. This fall I will be finishing up my associates degree from a local community college in VT. I applied to Daniel Webster College for Fall but decieded to opt for finishing my degree due to not having all my credits transfer. I didnt want to take classes like "Drawing 101" over again because it didn't transfer. My question is, once i receive my Associates degree in Liberal arts, can I then move onto a bacholor program with Webster or will they not "acknolege the degree" since some of the creidts that counted towards a degree for liberal arts at my community college did not transfer for them? Or it once I have that little paper saying I have an assocites, am i ok to move onto any bachelor progam at any college?
Thanks,

I would suggest that you contact the registrar's office at Danny Webster's, because they're the ones who decide what credits for what classes they accept and what they don't. I went through a similar production when I was seeking admission to CSU-Long Beach.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

AirCop

Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Quoting KLM672 (Thread starter):
Or it once I have that little paper saying I have an assocites, am i ok to move onto any bachelor progam at any college?

No..It's all based on a review of your transcripts and the course description.

Two points here; you claim to be attending college, how many spelling mistakes did you make in this post? (I love spell check)
How are you going to afford the cost of attending Daniel Webster College? Do you really want to go into that much debt at your age?

klm672

Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Sorry about the spelling, it was a quick post while taking a break from my paper. Yes, my paper has less spelling errors. I have heard DWC is expensive and have considered training at my local FBO. Will I get the same training there? The instructor I decided to train with is doing it because of love of the job and isn't there to build hours for an airline. I just don't want to get "well if you went to college (vs training received at an FBO) they would've taught you that..." line.
Thanks,
Andre

iairallie

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:18 pm

It doesn't work that way with an Associates degree. Some schools might waive the general education requirements but most are going to do a transfer credit audit because Bachelor degrees usually have additonal gen ed requirements. Follow the advice of the others who said to talk directly to the folks at DWU. Neglecting to do this could cost you lots of time and money.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

EasternSon

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:03 pm

A bit of advice as well:

Send Daniel Webster's college your transcripts and course descriptions. Have them reply to you in writing which classes you will and will not receive credit for after you transfer.

I ran into a situation with my university where I was told by my advisor that I would have to make up several classes because the credits didn't transfer. It was not the case, and I didn't find out until two of the courses had already been completed. As it turns out, he made an arbitrary decision without taking it up with the head of the business department. I was not able to get my credit hour payment refunded.

Good luck in your transfer.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

srbmod

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:07 pm

It definitely depends on the school. Transferring from one state school to another, you're more likely to have a lot more credits transferred than if you transfer from a state or private school to a private school. When I transferred from Dekalb College (Now Georgia Perimeter College) to Georgia State University, nearly all of my credits transferred despite not completing my A.A. degree as both schools are state schools. I had only one class that I did not get credit for because the equivalent class at GSU was an upper level course and had a prerequisite course that I needed to take at GSU.

You'll definitely need to find out what credits will not transfer between the two-year school and DWC. In theory, you would think that if someone transferred into the undergraduate program at a school and had earned an associate's degree prior to transferring there, that it would not be an issue in regards to transferring credits. Sure there may be a few credits that cannot be transferred for various reasons, say the equivalent course at the new school is an upper level course or they do not offer that course at the school.

Aeroflot777

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm

NO one here will be able to answer your question. (Unless they work at DWC)

My advice is call the registrar's office.

Aeroflot777