RJdxer
Topic Author

Deadly Day On K2

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:43 am

Even when I was young enough and fit enough to attempt this kind of adventure, this is the nightmare that kept me away.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080803/...on_re_as/pakistan_missing_climbers

The fixed rope lines were strung across a point on the mountain known as "The Bottleneck." Chris Warner, an American who climbed K-2 last year, said it was the deadliest place on the mountain, the fall from there down the south face is some 9,000 feet.

Unless you smack the wall pretty quickly and get a lights out, that is a long long way to fall and you would have lots of time to think about your soon to be untimely end.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

bravo45

RE: Deadly Day On K2

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting RJdxer (Thread starter):
that is a long long way to fall and you would have lots of time to think about your soon to be untimely end.

Personally I'd be more afraid of being lost and separated and thus having even a lot more time to think about my end.

A sad reality about the paradise on earth, one that needs to be contemplated before beginning the climb. There have been some fantastic rescues is the last few years averting casualties but there will always be these along the way. What a feeling, looking at survivors unable to get to them, with the air being too thin or being a survivor in that situation. It has happened before, spotting survivors however difficult it is, is not a guarantee to being rescued.

RJdxer
Topic Author

RE: Deadly Day On K2

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 pm

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 1):
Personally I'd be more afraid of being lost and separated and thus having even a lot more time to think about my end.

But at least you have the hope of rescue. As you feel the fall before reaching terminal velocity speed that hope drains very quickly.

At least there is some good news from the mountain.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080804.../mountainaccidenthimalayaspakistan

GILGIT, Pakistan (AFP) - Pakistani army helicopters airlifted two frostbitten Dutch climbers from K2 on Monday after a catastrophic avalanche on the world's second highest peak killed 11 mountaineers, officials said.

[Edited 2008-08-04 05:24:19]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!