treeny

Those Wings In Cast Away

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm

All

OK, its an old film but it was on TV last night so I watched it again and enjoyed it....

The only thing is that neither I not my wife can work out is what is the meaning of those wings we keep seeing? On the box and then he paints them on the sail he makes for the raft he leaves the island on......am guessing that it isnt a FEDEX logo but the logo of the company the lady he meets at the end owns / works for?

I cant understand the link between the wings, why Chuck doesnt open the box and why he writes "The packaged saved my life"

Would really appreciate any info!!!

Thanks as always

Mark

moo

RE: Those Wings In Cast Away

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Quoting Treeny (Thread starter):
The only thing is that neither I not my wife can work out is what is the meaning of those wings we keep seeing? On the box and then he paints them on the sail he makes for the raft he leaves the island on......am guessing that it isnt a FEDEX logo but the logo of the company the lady he meets at the end owns / works for?

I cant understand the link between the wings, why Chuck doesnt open the box and why he writes "The packaged saved my life"

The wings are the symbol of the artist, she seems to like the form and thus uses it everywhere.

The reason he doesn't open the box is that delivering it gives him a reason to live, it gives him something to hold on to and a reason to fight to get off the island.

The director has joked that the package contained a waterproof, solar powered satellite phone.

bravo45

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:34 pm

am guessing that it isnt a FEDEX logo but the logo of the company the lady he meets at the end owns / works for?

That's my understanding.

He wanted to deliver it after being rescued so it was hope/inspiration to continue living.

HOMER71

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
The director has joked that the package contained a waterproof, solar powered satellite phone.

Among other things:

"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

jonathan-l

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 pm

There was great ad a few years back where the end scene is reenacted.
Tom Hanks delivers the package, as a symbol of his survival, and the woman says: "So what have we got here?". She then opens the package: "Oh my. A GPS, a sat-phone..."
Can't remember what product was advertised though. FedEx?

airtran737

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):

In addition it provides him with the drive to finish the FedEx mission. He delivers the package and put the not on it saying something to the effect of "you saved me" or something like that.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

fr8mech

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:52 pm

The wings were also the inspiration for his sail.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

skywatch

Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:41 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 3):

That made my day! Thanks! Big grin

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

Goldenshield

Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 pm

OK, its an old film but it was on TV last night so I watched it again and enjoyed it....

Old? Wow. As far as I'm concerned, that film was fairly recent. :P

If you want to talk old films involving planes and recues, then look no further than Airport '77. (Yes, I know it was cheesy.)
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

jetblueguy22

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):

I wish they did have that in the movie. It would have been hilarious.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club