skyservice_330

Westboro Baptist Comes To Canada

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 am

...and they will be making stops in:

Toronto, Ontario: They will be protesting outside of a theatre with 'The Pastor Phelps Project: A Fundamentalist Cabaret' on stage. Toronto's gay community is planning a counter protest to welcome them.

Manitoba: They will be protesting the funeral of the man who was beheaded on a Greyhound bus last week...I'm not entirely sure why they are protesting here.

Red Deer, Alberta: They will be protesting outside of a theatre that has 'The Laramie Project' on stage.

However, it seems their message will be a bit tame: "They plan to wave placards with slogans like "God hates Canada" and "You're going to hell"...(They will be omitting their more overt anti-gay sayings for fear of being charged under Canada's stronger anti-hate laws)." "They were held for hours and had their picket signs confiscated by Canadian customs agents the last time they tried to enter the country in 1999."

More at: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/473577

skyservice_330

RE: Westboro Baptist Comes To Canada

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Thread starter):
Manitoba: They will be protesting the funeral of the man who was beheaded on a Greyhound bus last week...I'm not entirely sure why they are protesting here.

Thanks to ScrubbsYWG for posting this in another thread ( http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ms/non_aviation/read.main/1950709/ ). They will be protesting in Manitoba because:

"...Phelps' daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said about seven church members are expected to come to Winnipeg. "What we're doing is trying to connect dots," Phelps-Roper told the Winnipeg Sun last night. "We're trying to get you to see that your rebellion against the standards of God, your disobedience to the commandments -- your idols, your false gods, your filthy ways have brought wrath upon your head."

From: http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2008/08/07/6371591-sun.html

[Edited 2008-08-07 17:12:23]

[Edited 2008-08-07 17:12:56]

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:42 am

Don't these freaks have anything else better to do?  Yeah sure

Sorry Canada...

johnboy

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:42 am

I can't understand why the Canadian government is letting this filth in the country anyway???

Cadet57

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 am

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 1):
"...Phelps' daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said about seven church members are expected to come to Winnipeg. "What we're doing is trying to connect dots," Phelps-Roper told the Winnipeg Sun last night. "We're trying to get you to see that your rebellion against the standards of God, your disobedience to the commandments -- your idols, your false gods, your filthy ways have brought wrath upon your head."

I hope their van gets hit by a truck. Sick bastards.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Jpax

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:14 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):
I hope their van gets hit by a truck. Sick bastards.

No, no! A truck hitting them is quick and painless if they get hit in the right spot. They aren't deserving of a death like that! Something low, degrading, and painful would be more like it.

A346Dude

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:29 am

These people are nuts - just ignore them. Don't get angry, it just legitimizes their message and encourages them to continue. If everyone (the media included) pretended they were not there, they would go away.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

atrude777

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:31 am

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Thread starter):
(They will be omitting their more overt anti-gay sayings for fear of being charged under Canada's stronger anti-hate laws)." "

Awww..Isn't that a pity? They are scared of something? But, wait, won't their god protect them?  Smile

I hate this group to no end. I am catholic and support a lot of my religious statements but this is just far beyond help.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

czbbflier

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:33 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 2):
Sorry Canada...

It's Okay, my son.

Call this "America's" revenge for all the Canadian Armchair superpower advice we are known to give you guys that goes over as well as a gnat negotiating a Mack Truck.

We'll manage. Besides, we've got our own religious zealots too- it's not like we don't have to deal with them on an ongoing basis.

It is quite apparent that their issues are best seen in a mirror. We're pretty good at holding those up from time time.....

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 am

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 3):
I can't understand why the Canadian government is letting this filth in the country anyway???

They are not. Stockwell Day issued an alert to not let anyone in that they think is part of this.
and apparently, it worked, for now.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=707624

Quote:
But Shirley Phelps-Roper, daughter of church's founder, Fred Phelps, said a small group of protesters was stopped at the Canada-U.S. border on Thursday afternoon.

"They won't let us in, but we have a group that will cross in another spot," she said. "They'll have to strip search everyone who crosses that border or they won't know who we are. They'll have to see the WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) tattoo on our butts."

A346Dude

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 9):
They are not. Stockwell Day issued an alert to not let anyone in that they think is part of this.
and apparently, it worked, for now.

This is bogus. I disagree with their absurd message as much as anyone, but we should only prevent people who have committed (or show clear evidence of planning to commit) actual crimes from entering the country. Not people who we disagree with or who might hurt people's feelings.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:38 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 10):
This is bogus. I disagree with their absurd message as much as anyone, but we should only prevent people who have committed (or show clear evidence of planning to commit) actual crimes from entering the country. Not people who we disagree with or who might hurt people's feelings.

Well, canada has hate speech laws. maybe they are using that pretense for it?

A346Dude

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:45 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 11):
Well, canada has hate speech laws. maybe they are using that pretense for it?

Possibly. But you should have to actually commit a hate crime first and be found guilty of it. Stockwell Day and border guards should not have the authority to make these kinds of decisions before the alleged crime even occurs.

L-188

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:52 am

Yeah!

Don't you guys have some sort of kooky law to cover this.

They'll have to see the WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) tattoo on our butts."

What an appropriate place for it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:04 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 12):
Possibly. But you should have to actually commit a hate crime first and be found guilty of it. Stockwell Day and border guards should not have the authority to make these kinds of decisions before the alleged crime even occurs.

In your previous post, you said:

(or show clear evidence of planning to commit

As i mentioned, Canada takes a little different look at free speech than our neighbours to the south. Canada has hate speech laws, which basically say:

Quote:
Public incitement of hatred

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Wilful promotion of hatred
(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Identifiable group is defined as:

Quote:

(4) In this section, "identifiable group" means any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.

from http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...year=all&lengthannual=50&length=50

I am not a lawyer or judge so i have no real experience in applying or interpreting laws, but from what i can read, if we use the premise that we shouldnt let them in because they will likely break the law, it seems to be to be valid.

ltbewr

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:22 am

What a bunch of sad perverts they are. Too bad they couldn't catch the daddy of the group with a live boy or a dead hooker.
Maybe Canada can use their 'hate speech' laws to arrest them, detain them in a jail there, try them and convict them of a felony thus banning them from future entry into Canada.

StarAC17

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 am

Canada like all countries has the right to deny entry to anyone they feel like. Just having the proper documents only allows you to apply for entry, the problem is that if they deny the wrong person then it has the potential to create international tension. Also if they were come by air then the airline that flies them here has to foot the bill to send said people back.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

rocbufden

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:36 am

I would set up a collection to send them to China.

Mir

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:46 am

They'll have to see the WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) tattoo on our butts."

From Leviticus 19:28: "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD."

Looks like somebody's going to hell........ biggrin 

http://www.biblestudy.org/question/tattoos-and-body-piercing.html

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KBOS

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 2):
Don't these freaks have anything else better to do?

Sorry Canada...

Well, Canada did send us Michael Bolton and Celine Dion.....call it even.  Smile
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

seb146

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:55 am

You know what I think would be funny? To hear United States Cutoms say to them: "I am sorry, you are not allowed entry into the United States" As they try to turn back, Canadian Customs will tell them: "I am sorry. You are not Canadian citizens and are not allowed entry into Canada..."

That they call themselves Christians pisses me off.
Life in the wall is a drag.

skyservice_330

Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:45 am

No politician is going to lose votes by standing up to these people though. I don't even think the most socially conservative Canadians support Westboro to any extent; especially when you consider that this order was issued by Stockwell Days office.

Boeing744

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 am

I think I read somewhere that they've been denied entry to Canada before.

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 21):
I don't even think the most socially conservative Canadians support Westboro to any extent; especially when you consider that this order was issued by Stockwell Days office.

Yep! Stockwell Day is about as So-Con as you can get in Canada... he won't even campaign on Sunday's because of his religious beliefs. I'm not a fan of the guy, but he's done a good job with this!

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:35 am

According to our police service, the protest wouldnt violate hate laws in Canada. I think there is a religious provision that gets the off the hook. However:

Quote:
A Winnipeg police spokeswoman said the protest would not violate any hate laws, but officers have the ability to lay charges depending on what happens tomorrow.

She said charges can be laid under the provincial Cemeteries Act if anyone wilfully and unlawfully disturbs people assembled "for the purpose of burying a body."

http://winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2008/08/08/6381591-sun.html

Another interesting quote from the article, from a member of parliament no less:

Quote:
Pat Martin, the NDP MP for Winnipeg Centre, agreed.

"These guys are lunatics," said Martin.

"They're not baptists -- Tommy Douglas was a baptist."

Martin said there could be an "absolute melee at the church" if the picket goes ahead. If so, the folks from Kansas should be prepared for some "northern hospitality," he said.

tb727

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:49 am

I have to deal with these idiots on a regular basis. I hope they don't even let them in up there. They get away with too much down here in the states. We do have a group called the Patriot Guard that protects all of our military families of fallen coming home as well as deploying soldiers, whom they also like to protest and hold signs up to.

If you do some searches there are some really funny pranks on them. Some guys were calling them day and night for days on end sending gay strippers and sex toys among many other things to the Phelps. DO NOT however go to their website, they get paid for everyone that goes to it from what I hear.

Good luck on keeping them out.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

N867DA

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 pm

If a country can deny entrance to people without any question or reason, why can't Canada reject these nutters at immigration? Canadian immigration would save them a ton of pain and they wouldn't have to take a smidgen of responsibility.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 25):
If a country can deny entrance to people without any question or reason, why can't Canada reject these nutters at immigration? Canadian immigration would save them a ton of pain and they wouldn't have to take a smidgen of responsibility.

That is exactly what they are doing. However, unless they have all names on file of everyone that could be going, and are extremely vigilant(which i would hope they would be) they may 'slip through'. They were denied entry once, but apparently there is another 'team' on its way to winnipeg for the funteral. The federal minister in charge of border services sent an alert saying do not let them in.

The other thing is there are some 'uncontrolled' border crossings between canada and the US, where sometimes all you do is pick up the phone and call some guy.

Dougloid

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Memo to Canada:

Lock the mother fuckers up.

A year in one of your fine correctional institutions should do nicely (do you have any space on Beechey Island?), if you can get your self respecting felons residing therein to refrain from pounding the snot out of them.

If that happens, drinks are on the house.

Please check your mailbox for the semi load of World War Two vintage C-rats. We don't want them to eat too much of your good Canadian chow.

Signed

Your friends in the US.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:17 pm

According to the local paper, they got into the country and are 'hiding out somewhere'.

http://winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4209993p-4802639c.html

Looks like i have something to do tomorrow afternoon. I was going to paint my house, but i think i will check out the funeral instead.

ScarletHarlot

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:45 pm

I read on the CBC's website that there are plans to form a human shield around the funeral, so that the Westboro morons cannot disturb the family. What dreadful people! Their God will deal with them one day.
But that was when I ruled the world

DocLightning

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 5):

No, no! A truck hitting them is quick and painless if they get hit in the right spot. They aren't deserving of a death like that! Something low, degrading, and painful would be more like it.

How about being tied to a fence out in the middle of the cold and being pistol-whipped and then left to die? They seemed happy enough when it happened to Matthew Shepard.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Dougloid

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
How about being tied to a fence out in the middle of the cold and being pistol-whipped and then left to die? They seemed happy enough when it happened to Matthew Shepard.

Yep...I was going to write a song about it once.

They hung him up upon the fence
Like Jesus on the Tree

that's as far as I got.

MD11Engineer

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 28):
Looks like i have something to do tomorrow afternoon. I was going to paint my house, but i think i will check out the funeral instead.

Bring a pickaxe handle along.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

lowrider

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 26):
The other thing is there are some 'uncontrolled' border crossings between canada and the US, where sometimes all you do is pick up the phone and call some guy.

If you guys want to put up a fence, I'd certainly understand. If you took your time sending them back, I don't think anyone here would complain.
Proud OOTSK member

Cadet57

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:57 pm

How much work is if for your country to call that guy, have him take a post-it note with all their info so he'll id them and they cant come in?  rotfl 

MD11Engineer

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 33):

If you guys want to put up a fence, I'd certainly understand. If you took your time sending them back, I don't think anyone here would complain.

Some years ago the ultra-rightwing NPD decided to march through the East Berlin district of Marzahn (where most people are actually communists). Acc. to right of free speech, they had the right to march and the police was supposed to protect them. But the police didn't like to be seen as protectors for neonazis, so they took their time to arrive at the starting point of the march. The Nazis felt strong enough and marched anyway, without police protection.
Well, the locals (reinforced by anarchist punk rockers and groups of mainly Turkish immigrants) were waiting for them with baseball bats (funny, almost nobody in Germany plays baseball, but the bats sell well  Wink ), bricks and steel bars.
The Nazis received the beating of their lives and were running for dear life.

Jan

scrubbsywg

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 pm

it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

I am kind of leary to get involved. There have been a few incidents involving police here in the past few weeks(someone shot and killed after apparently going towards cops with a knife, and a kid dying after a tazering, and then all the criticism of the handling of the greyhound murderer) that make me wonder if the police will be brazen or if they will hold back. Of course, if everything stays peaceful it will be fine, but i can see someone doing something that starts a chain of events. the cops have said they will have a heightened presence at the funeral as well.

PETA is apparently also planning on protesting at the funeral. I wonder who will get more attention.

Cadet57

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 36):
PETA is apparently also planning on protesting at the funeral. I wonder who will get more attention.

What a bunch of low-class hippie dipshits... THIS IS A FUNERAL PEOPLE. NOT A POLITICAL RALLY. Give these grieving people some f***ing peace and closure. Hell, if I were the funeral director that day id probably be out of a job and or in jail because dammed if id let some scum like these losers abuse a family like that.

seb146

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 36):

Someone is beheaded on a bus and PETA is upset? I fail to see the connection. Even if someone involved were wearing fur coat and leather hat and eating a thick, juicy steak at the time, PETA should see this is neither the time nor the place for such a protest.

These morons will get theirs come judgement day, anyway. I am not very Christian in saying this but: I will love to see the look on their faces when God Almighty tells them exactly why they are being cast into eternal damnation...

DocLightning

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 35):

There are some people who are immune to reasoned, adult discourse.

For those people, beatings are indicated when it is necessary to communicate with them.  Big grin
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Dougloid

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 35):

Which is praiseworthy, if a little late. Oh well....we are very pleased with your interest in baseball. As you can see the sport is multidimensional.

Wink

scrubbsywg

Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:57 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 38):
Someone is beheaded on a bus and PETA is upset? I fail to see the connection. Even if someone involved were wearing fur coat and leather hat and eating a thick, juicy steak at the time, PETA should see this is neither the time nor the place for such a protest.

These morons will get theirs come judgement day, anyway. I am not very Christian in saying this but: I will love to see the look on their faces when God Almighty tells them exactly why they are being cast into eternal damnation...

PETA attempted to run an ad in the Prtage la Prairie paper(the town closest to the actual site of the killing) equating the killing to what we do to cows before we eat them. Thankfully, the editor of the paper said no to running the ad. They haven't publicly announced that they are attending, but there are sources on local message boards saying they were looking at going and are rumored to be protesting as well. Here is the ad:

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:18 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 41):
Quoting Seb146 (Reply 38):

PETA attempted to run an ad in the Prtage la Prairie paper(the town closest to the actual site of the killing) equating the killing to what we do to cows before we eat them. Thankfully, the editor of the paper said no to running the ad. They haven't publicly announced that they are attending, but there are sources on local message boards saying they were looking at going and are rumored to be protesting as well. Here is the ad:

They are stopping to be funny. It's high time they get the baseball bat treatment too.

Jan

Cadet57

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:20 am

Here is the ad:

Thats friggin disgusting. How they can compare the two is ludicrous...

WrenchBender

Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 am

http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=34933748208
Link to "The Wall Of Compassion" on facebook.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

seb146

Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:02 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 43):
Thats friggin disgusting. How they can compare the two is ludicrous...

I know. How many wild cows are roaming the countryside? Wasn't it Bill Engvall the one who joked about the thousands of wild chickens roaming the countryside before the white man came? What about the thousands of cattle roaming the countryside?

Comparing what happened in Manitoba to cattle shows PETA does not think much of humans, anyway.

ScarletHarlot

Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:34 am

PETA attempted to run an ad in the Prtage la Prairie paper

Generally I think PETA does good work in opening people's eyes to animal rights issues. But this is misguided, stupid, badly timed, and offensive. Really dumb.
But that was when I ruled the world

Boeing744

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:07 am

Yes... My work (a marina) is one of those such places. However, you give all the same information over the phone as you do to a real live customs officer. If the border control feels the need to come see the person they are usually there within a matter of 15 minutes.

That would be interesting if they all showed up at my work to cross the border. I'd take much pleasure in calling the border patrol (or whatever they're called)!

AircraftGeek

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:31 am

What a waste of O2 the WBC idiots are.

Quoting N867DA (Reply 25):
Canadian immigration would save them a ton of pain and they wouldn't have to take a smidgen of responsibility.

Faster way to dispose of this manure:

http://wallpapers.free-review.net/wallpapers/24/Sniper_rifle.jpg
Nothing is fool-proof given a sufficiently skilled fool

AircraftGeek

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 32):
Bring a pickaxe handle along.

Why only the handle? Bring the whole pickaxe please  Wink
Nothing is fool-proof given a sufficiently skilled fool