navymmw

Well Phelps Has Done It!

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 am

Phelps just got his 8th Gold Medal during these Olympic games which is the most won during one Olympics ever. Congrats to him! Now does anyone think he will compete as hard as he did during these events in London in 2012?

mbmbos

RE: Well Phelps Has Done It!

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:25 am

I saw it! Wow, what a run.

It will be interesting to see if he pursues competition.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

KPDX

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:32 am

Wow....I was looking for it. On NBC right now they are showing a bunch of women running. This is why I hate this whole 'not really live' thing for all of us on the West Coast. Unless his swim race was on a different channel.
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:36 am

Quoting Navymmw (Thread starter):
Now does anyone think he will compete as hard as he did during these events in London in 2012?

No, I saw an interview with his coach and him a few days ago and he says when he competes in London, his program won't be that much. I would guess he will do 2-5 events, probably like 3-4
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Dreadnought

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 am

I heard some woman today saying that Michael Phelps could make a fortune on stud fees.

I almost fell out of my chair!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:10 am

Amazing feat.
Was reading about his diet & it seemed off the books.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

allrite

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:36 am

Congratulations to Phelps! If he was a country he would currently be in 5th place on the medal table based upon gold medals.

It was interesting to read that Phelps may owe some of his success to a genetic flaw: Marfan syndrome.

Hopefully he doesn't have it, but just suppose he, or some other athlete, had a potentially fatal genetic problem that made them better able to compete, but could kill them young. You might imagine an unscrupulous nation that tried to "breed" athletes with such a flaw in order to win more medals.

While Phelps may have physiological advantages I'm sure most of his success is due to hard work on his part. Apparently, he had Attention Deficit Disorder as well, so while the Australian swimmers took ventolin as kids (many began swimming to help their asthma) he took ritalin!  Smile

Anyway, good on him!
I like artificial banana essence!

AirCop

Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:03 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
Amazing feat.

8 gold medals; he should now take time off from swimming and stop and smell the roses. Instead of rushing home, he could see the sights, and show up at the US basketball games, and track/field to offer support for there efforts.

aerobalance

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 am

Incredible feat - Amazing!

There are not many times in a persons life when you can witness a tremendous moment in Olympic history.

What special recognition was given to Phelps on the podium when receiving his 8th gold medal?

...I'm just waiting for MadamConcorde to say that Bush gave Phelps some 'special vitamins' to make him swim faster, a USA conspiracy. No disrespect to you Madam but I just expect it...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Elite

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:33 am

Out of the USAs 19 golds, Phelps won 8 of them... amazing. From beating the French in the relay (thanks to Lezak) and the 0.01 second victory in the 100m fly, he gave us something very special this year.

flexo

Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:36 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 8):

...I'm just waiting for MadamConcorde to say that Bush gave Phelps some 'special vitamins' to make him swim faster, a USA conspiracy. No disrespect to you Madam but I just expect it...

well, no doubt someone gave him some "special vitamins" as you call it, but then again the same is true for all the other swimmers, so: Congratulations to Phelps, truly amazing to win so many medals in a very competitive sport!

SpeedBirdA380

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:13 pm

Yeah well done to him.

I read he get's a $1,000,000 award from speedo for winning 8 gold's but that will be just the tip of the iceberg of all the money he will now go on to make from advertising etc.....

Elite

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 10):

I don't think so - the man was made for swimming. I watched a documentary on him - his body was practically engineered for swimming. His torso, his legs, and his ankles all allow him to swim better and faster than other people.

ltbewr

Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Phelps has reached, along with other swimmers in the relays as well as many supporters and his coaches, a perhaps untouchable standard of achievement in Olympic sports with his 8 golds in one Olympics.
Phelps story isn't perfect. One issue to me is that the Father, who divorced his mom when 7 years old and has had a strained relationship with, wasn't at these Olympics. I wish that somehow he could have been there to see in person his son's exceptional performance.

What I am concerned with as to Phelps now is where does he go from here. He is not in a sport that has professionals so there is no big money in performing. The relatively big bucks for very few in swimming are in endorsements, advertising, appearance fees and even motivational speaking if he can do that. The rest of his life will be from now and always connected with winning medals in the Olympics. Some believe he will go to the 2012 Olympics, but that could change too. I do hope he keeps his head straight and uses common sense, seeks good advice and advisors, hope he got a good college education at U of Michigan; avoids the hanger-oners, the bimbos, and those that would use him. I also hope he doesn't do something stupid, criminal, or something like acting which could ruin him. To me, his best future will most likely be as a swimming coach, perhaps at the Collegiate level.

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Does the US government reward their winners?
How much would Phelps get.  Smile
regds
MEL.

na

Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Incredible, there have been very, very few sportsmen before who dominated their game that much. The only that comes to my mind is Michael Schuhmacher. I stayed awake until 5 in the morning to see Phelps win (and of cause the second gold medal of our sole german swimming heroine, Britta Steffen).
Phelps has been tested quite often for doping now, so I trust everything is clean. Still the amazing, unprecedented performances of Phelps, Bolt and, just 30 minuts ago the Jamaican sprinter girls naturally cast some doubts wether everything was achieced without using unfair methods, so its very good that the test material will be preserved for 8 years.

ArmitageShanks

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 14):

As far as I know they don't get paid anything. Why should they?

They'll make money from Nike, Coke, etc selling products.

allstarflyer

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
Was reading about his diet & it seemed off the books.

Tell us about it.

Rgds
ASF
Living the American Dream

allstarflyer

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Not of which I know.

Rgds
ASF
Living the American Dream

STT757

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 8):
...I'm just waiting for MadamConcorde to say that Bush gave Phelps some 'special vitamins' to make him swim faster, a USA conspiracy.

That Romanian Woman who won the Women's marathon by that huge margin was pulling something out from between her boobs and sniffing something during the race, obviously it must have been something legal because she was being filmed the entire time.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 13):
What I am concerned with as to Phelps now is where does he go from here. He is not in a sport that has professionals so there is no big money in performing. The relatively big bucks for very few in swimming are in endorsements, advertising, appearance fees and even motivational speaking if he can do that. The rest of his life will be from now and always connected with winning medals in the Olympics. Some believe he will go to the 2012 Olympics, but that could change too

He will get some endorsements, and make a nice chunk of change. Then start preparing for London, when he retires I would assume he would do what many Olympians do after their careers. Open a swimming school to train the next generation, I can see a long waiting list of families in the Baltimore/Washington area to get their kids into that school.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 17):
Tell us about it.

12,000-14,000 calories a day.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Pyrex

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Amazing feat. I just wonder, though, if he had won 7 gold medals with 7 world records or whatever and then in the last one "only" won silver whether we would have people starting threads saying that "Michael Phelps is such a big loser" or "My grandma could swim faster than Phelps".
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

scrubbsywg

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:46 pm

I also hope he doesn't do something stupid, criminal, or something like acting which could ruin him.

he got a DUI in 2004.

TylerDurden

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 19):
He will get some endorsements

Some?

He'll be the most sought after spokesperson for the next year.
He had $6M in endorsements prior to even taking a lap in the pool in Bejing.

It will be interesting to see how he juggles that with his amatuer standing for 2012.

TylerDurden

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 pm

marathon by that huge margin was pulling something out from between her boobs and sniffing something during the race, obviously it must have been something legal because she was being filmed the entire time.

I'm going to say some kind of salt----for the electrolytes (??????)

us330

Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 22):
It will be interesting to see how he juggles that with his amatuer standing for 2012

Amateur standing doesn't matter any more. I was reading somewhere--one of the three major NYC newspapers--where they were talking about Katie Hoff (dubbed the phemale phelps by some before the games--she phailed to live up to the hype), and saying that criticism of her efforts are fair game because she apparently signed a huge contract with Speedo. If she was allowed to compete, despite this clearly non-amateur status, then why wouldn't the same be true for Phelps? Besides, almost all the sports are now professionalized.

If Phelps does in fact have Marfan Syndrome, then that might do more to increase the legend--after all, it is believed that one of the most famous American Presidents in history, a Mr. Abraham Lincoln, had the same disorder, as well as the Egyptian Pharaoah Akhenaten.

TylerDurden

Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:28 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 24):
Amateur standing doesn't matter any more.

I thought a limit was being placed on the amount of $$$ athletes could receive. I really haven't followed it very closely.
Thanks for the info.

flexo

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 12):
I don't think so - the man was made for swimming

Quoting NA (Reply 15):
Phelps has been tested quite often for doping now, so I trust everything is clean

I recommend to read the interview with the former doping supplier Heredia, it is a little longer, but truly sobering for everyone who still believes in clean sports:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...sport/athletics/article3908470.ece

He was supplier for many of the top athletes in the world including Maurice Green who will probably soon be convicted because of Heredias testimony.

Flighty

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 24):
If she was allowed to compete, despite this clearly non-amateur status, then why wouldn't the same be true for Phelps? Besides, almost all the sports are now professionalized.

You may have noticed such "amateur" athletes as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James were taking part this year. So I guess that rule is somewhat adjustable.

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Tell us about it.

Phelps's crazy diet
regds
MEL

scrubbsywg

Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 28):
Tell us about it.

Phelps's crazy diet
regds
MEL

i think it would be interesting to hear how many calories phelps burns in a day.

waterpolodan

Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Exactly as many as he takes in, give or take a few hundred, because he eats just enough to maintain his weight based on his training regime.

misbeehavin

Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 am

It is quite the feat, and Phelps has done an awesome job for sure.

But - not to take anything away from him - I think swimming awards all too many medals to start with. I mean the basic premise is to determine who can get from point A to point B in the least time, right? Then taking that and coming up with all the possible combinations of strokes, distances, whatever...

Consider this:

Total number of medals up for grabs in Beijing: 302
Of those. swimming awards: 96

Now that just doesn't make sense.

waterpolodan

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:41 am

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 31):

Now that just doesn't make sense.

How many medals are awarded for all the running and walking events? If you add all of those up, including the relays and whatnot, it's probably not very different than swimming. The reason there are so many events in swimming is because there are the 4 main strokes, and obviously each one of those is a very different sort of thing that IMO deserves a number of races over various distances. I don't see anything wrong with the number of swimming medals, though like you say it does skew the title of "best olympian" towards swimmers before the events even begin because of their medal total advantage.

Elite

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:51 am

8000 - 10,000 calories per day... if he's not training then he's eating.

misbeehavin

Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 32):
How many medals are awarded for all the running and walking events? If you add all of those up, including the relays and whatnot, it's probably not very different than swimming. The reason there are so many events in swimming is because there are the 4 main strokes, and obviously each one of those is a very different sort of thing that IMO deserves a number of races over various distances. I don't see anything wrong with the number of swimming medals, though like you say it does skew the title of "best olympian" towards swimmers before the events even begin because of their medal total advantage.

I'm not sure how many track medals there are, but I doubt they would be anywhere close to the number of swimming medals. But of the 60-odd US medals so far, half are from swimming! And 2/3 of Australia's medals are from swimming.

I got that number from an email someone forwarded me - but there's no source or anything, so I'll only paste a couple of lines:

"Imagine if in track & field they handed out a medal in the 100m for running, running backward, hopping and skipping. That’s essentially what happens in swimming."
"Instead of giving out a medal for simply the fastest person to go the 100m, they give one for each of four different strokes; and at the 200m distance, they give out five medals (one for individual medley). That’s bullshit."
"Can you imagine if basketball followed the swimming model of handing out medals? You’d have a gold medal three-point-shooting contest; a gold-medal slam-dunk contest."

PHLBOS

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:32 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 21):
I also hope he doesn't do something stupid, criminal, or something like acting which could ruin him.

he got a DUI in 2004.

Worth noting: that DUI he got was about a month AFTER the Athens games. Hopefully, he won't repeat the same mistake this time.

Quoting Elite (Reply 9):
Out of the USAs 19 golds, Phelps won 8 of them... amazing. From beating the French in the relay (thanks to Lezak) and the 0.01 second victory in the 100m fly, he gave us something very special this year.

Very true, however (to expand what you mentioned regarding Lezak) let's not forget that 3 of those 5 gold medals were in relay events which required a TEAM effort. Lezak, Hansen, Jones, etc. earned those 3 medals just as much as Phelps.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

huskyaviation

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:56 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 16):

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 18):
Not of which I know

The US Government doesn't, but I'm pretty sure the USOC does. They pay athletes a bonus for each medal they win, scaled for whether it is a gold, silver or bronze.

I found this in a cursory search: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter02/gen/story?id=1340433
I don't know for sure if this applies to both the Summer and Winter games, but I think it does.

haggis79

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 12):
I watched a documentary on him - his body was practically engineered for swimming.

you might be closer to the truth than you would wish for - literally...  Wink
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

waterpolodan

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 37):

you might be closer to the truth than you would wish for - literally... Wink

If Phelps is ever tagged as a user of illegal substances, I'll send you a check for 10,000 dollars. Until then, leave the conspiracy theories out of these threads, because there has never even been a single shred of evidence or even fact-based conjecture that would remotely tie him to doping. No need to cheapen his accomplishments by throwing doubt out there when there should be none.

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 34):
"Imagine if in track & field they handed out a medal in the 100m for running, running backward, hopping and skipping. That’s essentially what happens in swimming."
"Instead of giving out a medal for simply the fastest person to go the 100m, they give one for each of four different strokes; and at the 200m distance, they give out five medals (one for individual medley). That’s bullshit."

If you want to continue the track analogy, they do indeed give out medals for running, running while jumping over little hurdles, running while jumping over a little water puddle and a hurdle, and walking really quickly without actually running, all over numerous distances. They also award medals for jumping once really far, jumping three times really far, jumping really high, throwing 4 different types of objects really far, ect. There are plenty of situations in the Olympics that give out lots of medals for slightly different events. Yes, swimming has more events that award medals than most other disciplines, but I still don't understand why you think it's bullshit. There are 4 different ways to effectively move a human body through water, and they have a long tradition in competition at the various distances. What's wrong with that? Why does it bother you other than skewing the medal totals and title of "world's best olympian" towards the swimmers? In my opinion, it's a fair title because although there are more events, swimming competitively requires far more training, strength, physical ability, and commitment than most other sports. I'm not taking anything away from sprinters, distance runners, volleyball players, cyclists, ect., I'm just saying that swimming is the most intense full body workout there is and to be the best in the world at it makes you a pretty amazing specimen.

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 33):
8000 - 10,000 calories per day... if he's not training then he's eating.

Can he burn that much in training or is this a media hype?
regds
MEL.

Zuluaviator994

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm not bashing Phelps here, he did an amazing job, and I know how much work he puts in.
BUT, he comes off the wall on his back for the fly and breast turns. That's illegal...
Just something to think about, but since nobody caught him, he swam perfectly. Hats off to Phelps.
 Smile
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.

waterpolodan

Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 39):

regds

He probably burns about 1,200 calories an hour or more during his intense swim sets, and figuring that he spends 6 hours a day in the pool training, plus maybe another hour or so of weight training, plus a basic metabolic rate of probably somewhere over 2,500 calories a day, and you'll find that during his most intense workouts he is indeed burning that much.

N1120A

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 3):

No, I saw an interview with his coach and him a few days ago and he says when he competes in London, his program won't be that much. I would guess he will do 2-5 events, probably like 3-4

Well, Phelps will likely do all the relays, which will take up 3 events. He will also probably add the 100 Free, while dropping the 400 IM. By the time London rolls around, he will probably hold the WR in the 100 Free based on the way he has been going.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 4):
I heard some woman today saying that Michael Phelps could make a fortune on stud fees.

That is funny. Still, a combination of Phelps and Natalie Coughlin would be a genetic dream for swimming.

Quoting Allrite (Reply 6):

It was interesting to read that Phelps may owe some of his success to a genetic flaw: Marfan syndrome.

Sounds like potentially sour grapes from the Aussies. While Phelps is a candidate for Marfan Syndrome, the fact that his legs aren't elongated makes it suspect.

Quoting Flexo (Reply 10):

well, no doubt someone gave him some "special vitamins" as you call it, but then again the same is true for all the other swimmers, so

You are kidding, right? Phelps is tested so often, because he wins so often, there is nothing you could catch him for. Further, saying that all of the other swimmers are doping is an asinine statement as well. Have you read anything about Dara Torres' drug testing regime?

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 11):

I read he get's a $1,000,000 award from speedo for winning 8 gold's but that will be just the tip of the iceberg of all the money he will now go on to make from advertising etc.....

Actually, the award kicked in after 7. Of course, he was already earning $5 million a year anyway.

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 16):

Actually, almost every country in the world now pays bonuses to medal winning athletes. For Phelps, however, those sums are paltry in comparison to what he earns outside the pool. If I were him, I would hand my checks for the relays to my teammates.

That Romanian Woman who won the Women's marathon by that huge margin was pulling something out from between her boobs and sniffing something during the race, obviously it must have been something legal because she was being filmed the entire time.

They said they were smelling salts. I doubt it was something like cocaine, because that is easily detected and doesn't really help distance runners anyway.

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 22):

It will be interesting to see how he juggles that with his amatuer standing for 2012.

Phelps hasn't had amateur status for at least the past 5 years. In fact, he wasn't allowed to swim for UM because of his endorsements. Amateur status is no longer required in the Olympics.

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 25):

I thought a limit was being placed on the amount of $$$ athletes could receive.

If there was a limit, the NBA players would have a really hard time meeting it. So would the tennis pros.

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 29):

i think it would be interesting to hear how many calories phelps burns in a day.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 39):

Phelps burns an average of 4000 calories in 1 training session, and does 2 a day. That totals 8000 calories. You then have to add in the calories he is burning just to survive. Then you have to add in the extra calories he has been eating which have finally gotten him over 200 pounds.

Quoting ZuluAviator994 (Reply 40):
I know how much work he puts in.
BUT, he comes off the wall on his back for the fly and breast turns. That's illegal.

There is nothing illegal about Phelps' turns. If they were, he would be disqualified. Hell, they tried to disqualify Aaron Piersol for a perfectly legal turn. His turns are really no different from the competition, except that he executes them better.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

flexo

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
You are kidding, right? Phelps is tested so often, because he wins so often, there is nothing you could catch him for.

Him being tested so often doesn't mean he's clean. Read the interview with Heredia I posted earlier if you are really interested. But, of course you are free to believe whatever you want.

Don't get me wrong though: Doping or no doping, Phelps is without a doubt the best swimmer out there!

N1120A

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 43):

Him being tested so often doesn't mean he's clean.

It means there is a lot less of a chance for him to be dirty. Further, to assume that everyone is on drugs is ludicrous.

CXfirst

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:48 am

Who Cares????

After a couple gold, who cares about the 8th one or whatever?

The real news should be that NORWAY has 2 medals in swimming. A silver and a bronze.

Smile

-CXfirst

haggis79

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 am

You are kidding, right? Phelps is tested so often, because he wins so often, there is nothing you could catch him for.

you are aware that there are many forms of doping that are not detectable by current tests, are you?
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

Zuluaviator994

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:11 pm

There is nothing illegal about Phelps' turns. If they were, he would be disqualified. Hell, they tried to disqualify Aaron Piersol for a perfectly legal turn. His turns are really no different from the competition, except that he executes them better.

Please tell me your not listening to rowdy gaines?
Piersol did a non-continuous turn..he glided in.
and watch the replays, phelps comes off on his back, which, as aforementioned, is illegal
but it doesn't matter, he swam great.
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.

N1120A

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 46):

you are aware that there are many forms of doping that are not detectable by current tests, are you?

Far fewer than before. They can even test for THG at this point.

Quoting ZuluAviator994 (Reply 47):

Please tell me your not listening to rowdy gaines?
Piersol did a non-continuous turn..he glided in.

Piersol's turn was legal and actually cost him time. Backstroke turns need not be continuous. In fact, they can contain a single stroke (or half stroke depending on your phraseology) with one arm.

Quoting ZuluAviator994 (Reply 47):

and watch the replays, phelps comes off on his back, which, as aforementioned, is illegal

Phelps doesn't come off the turn on his back. He is on his side as he turns (which is legal), then he is on his stomach as he pushes off. He does the same turn everyone else does.