Evan767
Topic Author

Things To Do In.... Santiago Chile?

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Is there anything to do in this city? I'm planning on visiting next week with family. We only have a short time, so what are the highlights?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Braybuddy

RE: Things To Do In.... Santiago Chile?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:26 am

There's plenty to do, if you want to! I'm sure some Chilean members on here will give you more detailed info, but, off the top of my head, some of the things to to are 1: take the funicular up to Cerro San Cristobal for a terrific view of the city, or 2: take a wine tour. or 3: stroll around the Bellavista area for cafés and restaurants, and 4: check out the Mercado Central, again for more places to eat. And you have to try the collectivos for getting around the city!

And, if you're there for a week, you can always get away from the city for a day or two by going to nearby Valparaiso (which is a real treat) and the resort of Vina del Mar.

Here's a link with some basic information:

http://www.geographia.com/chile/santiago/index.htm

signol

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:01 am

I remember our Footprints guide had a walking tour of the city centre, including the parliament building and stock exchange... You could go in and watch the trading. Also, one of my friends had a fascination with a chain of cafes called "Schopdog" - beer and hot dogs... Mmm.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

alfa75

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:06 am

Great question. I will be there for a day between flights on my way down to Patagonia, what would be the top 2-3 things to do in one day?

Oh yeah, where is a good place to stay for a night. Real hotels, not hostels.

[Edited 2008-08-22 20:07:27]
The best things in life aren't things!

Evan767
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:01 am

Quoting Alfa75 (Reply 3):

Great question. I will be there for a day between flights on my way down to Patagonia, what would be the top 2-3 things to do in one day?

Not sure about hotels, but, for one day you need to go to the top of the park right in the middle of the city. It has amazing views of the city and the Andes. Tickets on the funicular and cable cars are cheap. Just make sure you're dressed like a local otherwise you'll get lots of attention! Which can be good if you like attention. Anyway, that's probably the highlight of the city and you can easily spend 5-6 hours on that mountain. It's the twin peaks/table mountain of Santiago.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

kjet12

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:38 am

Just got back from Santiago last week. The funicular is pretty cool, and definitely worth seeing the views of the city. A walk up to Cerro Santa Lucía is also worth seeing. If you like museums, see the Museo de Bellas Artes and the National Historical Museum. The National Historical Museum is located in Plaza de Armas. While you're in Plaza de Armas, do check out the Metropolitan Cathedral. Also, make sure you stop by a bar and enjoy a Pisco Sour.

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.