f.pier

Argentina And Brazil, Why So Few Medals?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Both are populated countries, very strong in football, but have so few medals at Olympic Games. I can't find an explaination of this.

Derico

RE: Argentina And Brazil, Why So Few Medals?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:08 pm

The explanation is we simply suck in track and field and swimming (though Brazil won a gold there). Those are the sports that give out the most medals. There is no scouting the way they do in more developed countries.

Just in swimming you have like 30 medals or something like that, just for one discipline.

You don't get a gold medal for being the top scorer, or the team with most goals, or least scored on, etc. I think they should give out medals for all that and to Fair Play in sports like football and basketball. You are playing whole tournaments with several games and playoffs do or die matches... earning only one gold medal for all that does not seem to be proportional to the effort made.

Anyhow, Argentina is just not an Olympic power. We are however a team sports world power and it's been mentioned here sereval times how Argentina always seems to be in the top 5 of major team sports. A country of 39 million is a legitimate contender or major force in football, basketball, rugby, field hockey, roller hockey, tennis, and usually volleyball (not lately though), and other lesser sports like Polo, horseball, etc.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

lapa_saab340

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:26 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
Anyhow, Argentina is just not an Olympic power

They may not be, but they have a pretty significant contingent given the population is only 39 million.

Derico

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting Lapa_saab340 (Reply 2):
They may not be, but they have a pretty significant contingent given the population is only 39 million.

That's because of the team sports, precicely making my point. And it's usually bigger except that this time the volleyball and men's field hockey did not qualify (the men should have been there).
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

navymmw

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:55 am

I bet though that Brazil will get the Gold in football against the USA. lol, were screwed! Us and our soccer, pff. If only we called it football maybe we would stand a chance but the football gods dont take to kindly to us when we call it soccer.

PPVRA

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 3):
That's because of the team sports

Which also means we get medals later in the games, not early on. I expect to see a few more in the coming days. I haven't been following Argentina too closely though.

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 4):
I bet though that Brazil will get the Gold in football against the USA. lol, were screwed! Us and our soccer, pff. If only we called it football maybe we would stand a chance but the football gods dont take to kindly to us when we call it soccer.

U.S. Women Soccer is probably the top team in the world right now. They are generally very good and give us a run for the gold.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

navymmw

Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:03 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 5):
U.S. Women Soccer is probably the top team in the world right now. They are generally very good and give us a run for the gold.

I was really saying they were bad, I was just kind of making fun of how we call it soccer well everyone else calls it footbal. I still dont know why we call it soccer.

signol

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:08 am

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 6):
I still dont know why we call it soccer.

It's an abbreviation for "Association Football".

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI