QFA380
Topic Author

Should The Drinking Age Be Lowered In The US?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:35 pm

I found this article on digg today, about a large number of college presidents who want to have the drinking age lowered to 18.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...lege-drinkingaug19,0,7039288.story

They say it will lower binge drinking rates among students.

I believe they are right, In Australia, I see 15, 16, 17 year olds who think they couldn't live without going and getting blind drunk every Friday and Saturday. Once they hit 18 drinking just becomes a novelty and they don't seem to drink much at all.

The idea of the people saying that drinking fatalities in the affected ages will go up I believe it wrong. If a 19 or 20 year old wants alcohol they can get it, they can still get drunk and drive. Making actions that help reduce the number of kids geting drunk, using simple logic then less kids will be driving while drunk.

What say you, are the college presidents right and the US in need of reform?

[Edited 2008-08-19 14:42:59]

FlyDeltaJets87

RE: Should The Drinking Age Be Lowered?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:49 pm

I think it should be lowered to 18 in the US or perhaps even to 16 for beer and wine but I didn't lose sleep over it. I don't drink that much even though I'm now over the legal age. The big argument about lowering the drinking age to 18 in the US is always "you can fight and die for your country at 18 but you can't buy a beer". In many ways, they're right. Some states have taken the initiative to lower the drinking age to 18 for members of the miliitary; I don't know if they've had any success.

The other argument to lower it is that it would cut down the binge drinking - another valid point. The drinking ages are lower in Europe and from what I've noticed, they don't have the same problems with the binge drinking that we have in the US. Also, lowering the drinking age would allow young adults to build up a better tolerance for alcohol at a younger age. For example, because I don't drink, I have almost no tolerance. It takes me forever to consume even 1 drink, and I've never had more than 2 drinks in one night. To be honest, I'm okay with keeping it that way.

In a nutshell, if they lower the drinking age, more power to 'em, but I didn't really care about having to wait till 21. Then again, I do know I'm in a minority here.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

casinterest

RE: Should The Drinking Age Be Lowered In The US?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Having been an RA in college, I have to say that this argument by the college presidents is a good one, and that there should be a national debate on it.

To me, if you are an adult, you be capable of all decisions of an adult. You can enter into legal contracts, hire employees, get married, get divorced, get drafted, smoke, vote, have your own mortgage, and many other items. However you can't drink.

This creates a bit of a problem for college administrators. How do you keep people from drinking that are underage, but have all of the above privelages? Actively monitoring those that are avoiding being monitored for Binge drinking is a problem. It is a bit like having to enforce abstinance on people fully capable of having sex.

As an RA the only times I found out about drunk residents is when they were so far gone, that they had been left out on the sidewalks too drunk to walk, or puking their brains out in the bathrooms. By the time I was there to help, it was time to transport them to a hospital.

MADD's argument in all of this is pointless. Thier argument is one based on Prohibition. If the legal age was 24, I bet rates would go down yet again.

They shouldn't care about the age of the drinker. Their concern is with people driving drunk, which is a very valid concern. However they are the ones that helped ramrod 21 into law. But 21 is kind of stupid as well.
Most 18 year old's live at home for a few months at least prior to leaving their parent's house. It would be better for them to be legal and drinking and have the guidance of parent's when they take those first few step's in drinking.

There will always be problematic and out of control drinkers, no matter what the age, but if 18 is old enough to be an adult, it should be old enough to drink legally.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

mdsh00

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:05 pm

I am for it too for the same reasons given above. Keeping it at 21 is archaic and just a symbol of Americas puritanical attitude about drinking. A person isn't going to be magically more responsible abuout drinking at age 21 than they are at 18. The attitude towards alcohol here, and the high drinking age definitley promote wild binging because it's something "forbidden." Many universities have already taken a "we won't punish what we don't see attitude" and it's probably helped a little bit.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:09 pm

I don't see why it shouldn't be lowered. Look most other countries are 18 as well. Plus this way on college campuses there would be less trouble with underage drinking. This means administrators don't have to worry about the students drinking and getting arrested. It makes it easier on cops and easier on everyone else.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

StarAC17

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 2):
MADD's argument in all of this is pointless. Thier argument is one based on Prohibition. If the legal age was 24, I bet rates would go down yet again.

They shouldn't care about the age of the drinker. Their concern is with people driving drunk, which is a very valid concern. However they are the ones that helped ramrod 21 into law. But 21 is kind of stupid as well.
Most 18 year old's live at home for a few months at least prior to leaving their parent's house. It would be better for them to be legal and drinking and have the guidance of parent's when they take those first few step's in drinking.

MADD while founded on good intentions has become a Neo-prohibitionist and even the original founder stepped down from it because of their actions and lobbying to make alcohol an illegal narcotic.

As for the original question, yes to at least 19!!

19 which it is here in Ontario is too high with kids coming to university at 18 and having no idea how to handle alcohol is a bad idea. I'm 24 and still get drunk every now and then but no where near as bad as I have seen first year university students often do.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Heck no. More accidents will occur and more people will DUI. Bad idea.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Acey

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 6):

What about all the countries that have a lower drinking age than the US and actually have less instances of alcohol abuse?
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cadet57

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:32 pm

What gives you that idea? A person at 21 who will drink and drive would have done it at 18 if it was legal for them to drink,besides its not like teenagers dont get DUI's now...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

N867DA

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:39 pm

It should definitely be lowered. I remember my roommate coming back piss drunk a couple times during freshman year. We even had a few bottles of beer in the fridge time to time. The only reason so many young people drink so much is because it's forbidden fruit.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

srbmod

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:49 pm

I've always wondered how many citations the local cops in college towns issue every year for underage drinking? I actually lied to an Athens-Clarke County cop in January of 1996 so as not to get cited for underage drinking. One of the guys in the group I was with did admit to underage drinking, because he really had no other choice because it was his car and someone else was driving. The fine was something in the neighborhood of $85, which to the typical college student, that's a chunk of change even today.

Having the legal drinking age at 21 is not going to keep folks under the age of 21 from drinking. You'll always have bars that have little if any inclination to check the IDs of their patrons. I was a sophomore in college and there was a bar a few minutes from campus that on a pretty regular basis would serve a group of us in which one or two would be of legal drinking age. Every few months, they'd tighten up on checking IDs so we'd have to send one of our buddies that was of legal drinking age to the bar to get some of us beers (The bar was in a separate room in the place.), and we'd all usually end up in the pool room in the back because you could easily pass your drink off as a cast-off drink left back there.

If you've got friends that work at a bar or a restaurant that serves booze, you can easily get served. About six months before I turned 21, one of the guys in the group I hung out with had started working at a bar/restaurant near the house. We'd go in there and early on, we'd sit in his section and he'd serve us (A few of the guys that would go there with us were of age.). After going there a few times and getting to know the staff there (including the managers), it was no problem get served there at all. A few months later, I started working at a grocery store as a cashier and on my second day running a register by myself, he comes through my line with a couple of bottles of wine (He too was underage). Earlier in the shift, one of the supervisors got on to me for not carding someone so I was a little wary to try to return the favor to my friend at that time. I asked for ID (as one of the supervisors was nearby) and he gave the "I don't have it with me" and I said I couldn't sell it to him without ID. He got ticked off about me not giving him the same treatment he had extended to me and went and told the general manager of the bar that I was not 21. Several of my friends really gave it to him (including some that worked with him at the bar that also knew I wasn't 21 yet) because what he did was not cool (I had explained the situation to them the same day I got banned from the bar until I was 21.), as I had only been on the job a few days and that he should have waited until I had been there a few weeks before trying to come through my line as they really watch the new cashiers like a hawk the first few weeks. Had he just waited a week or two, I would have done it no problem.

I think the key when it comes to drinking is education. I know when I was a teenager, my mom and stepdad from time to time let me have a drink. I think some parents try to portray drinking as evil and that fact makes some kids when they get to college go completely overboard when they party.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 9):
The only reason so many young people drink so much is because it's forbidden fruit.

checkmark 
Now I didn't drink underage because I couldn't afford to get caught as a cadet in ROTC - one underage alcohol offense could have ruined my career but you've hit the nail on the head here.

If the drinking age was lower, (possibly even below 18) young people would first be exposed to it (legally) in their home and have better tolerance when they went off on their own.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 10):

So often it depends on when and where you are. Truth is, around here in Daytona during Spring Break, you know a shit ton of underage drinking is going on down beach side. But from what I've seen, as long as you aren't driving, the cops just don't care. My friend said it was the same thing in Jacksonville during the "World's Largest Cocktail Party" - the UGA-UF game. She and her friends (underage at the time) were carrying a case of beer and the cop shouted to them "What are you doing carrying that beer?!?!" At first they were scared they were about to get busted but then the cop said "You guys should be drinking that....not carrying it."

Cadet57

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 11):
and have better tolerance

Idk about you, but 5'4, 110 pound girls are still gonna be cocked after 2 Bartles&James  Wink

MCOflyer

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):

What gives you that idea?

Well, people will always find a way to drink regardless of the age.

Hunter

jetblueguy22

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 11):
"What are you doing carrying that beer?!?!" At first they were scared they were about to get busted but then the cop said "You guys should be drinking that....not carrying it."

Thats hilarious! I find that often the cops break the rules just as much as the rest of us. My uncle was a big time cop in his city and he said that he would only issue a citation if the person was crazy or driving (in that case arrest) It shows the cops don't really care a lot. And raising the age would be one less burden on their shoulders.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

ipodguy7

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:14 pm

yes, i think the age should be lowered to 18 for drinking, 16 for smoking in America
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

Cadet57

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 12):

Exactly. So that makes your statement of:

Nonsense. You basically repeated my statement, thus contradicting yourself in the process. You say if 18 year olds could drink there would be more accidents. But you then go on to say that they'll drink regardless if its legal.

Quoting Acey (Reply 7):
What about all the countries that have a lower drinking age than the US and actually have less instances of alcohol abuse?

Well, thats the problem, kids are taught about alcohol at ayoung age and are taught responsibility. There is a reason why a 16 year olds can drink at a restaurant (with parents, is that really true, I read that in a UK guidebook once) as opposed to the nonsense here.

Virgin747LGW

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:24 pm

speaking of cops attitude to drinking, I lived in the Orlando last summer and every party we held would be broken up by at least 3 cop cars, totally over the top reaction compared to back here in the UK where the police have never broken up any party i ve been to. I lived in a gated complex, maybe that explains it?

Considering there were reports of murders and drive bys every day shouldnt they reorganise their priorities?

[Edited 2008-08-19 16:27:29]

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 13):
Thats hilarious! I find that often the cops break the rules just as much as the rest of us. My uncle was a big time cop in his city and he said that he would only issue a citation if the person was crazy or driving (in that case arrest) It shows the cops don't really care a lot. And raising the age would be one less burden on their shoulders.
Blue

I think it's because during the UGA-UF game, the cops know there's not enough room in the JAX City jails to place all the college kids drinking underage so why fight it? haha. It's true with a lot of things though, not just alcohol. For example, fireworks are illegal in Cincinnati, if not all of Ohio but around New Years and the 4th of July, the cops don't do anything if you're shooting off fireworks.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 14):
Idk about you, but 5'4, 110 pound girls are still gonna be cocked after 2 Bartles&James

I'm 6'4, 165 lbs soaking wet. I'm not much better.  wink 

Cadet57

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 18):
I'm 6'4, 165 lbs soaking wet. I'm not much better.

Nancy  Wink

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Cadet, if we lowered the drinking age that would encourage younger people to drink. There positives to both and but against it for a good reason.

Hunter

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 16):

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 12):

Exactly. So that makes your statement of:

Nonsense. You basically repeated my statement, thus contradicting yourself in the process.

Exactly. Completely refuted your point.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Cadet57

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:50 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 20):
Cadet, if we lowered the drinking age that would encourage younger people to drink.

Doubtful. Do you think if they made smoking legal at 15 you'd see them lined up around the block?

There positives to both and but against it for a good reason.

MCOflyer

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:59 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
Do you think if they made smoking legal at 15 you'd see them lined up around the block?

Yes I agree on that one. They would be selling faster than we could produce if the marketing was done correctly.

Hunter

ShyFlyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:02 am

if we lowered the drinking age that would encourage younger people to drink

Not really. Those who want to drink will do so regardless of the age limit in place at the time.

Lowering the legal age to 18 wouldn't really change a whole helluva lot in my opinion. Sure, it would eliminate some of the "forbidden fruit" aspect, but people are still gonna get blitzed just the same as they do now.
I lift things up and put them down.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 am

Cadet, if we lowered the drinking age that would encourage younger people to drink. There positives to both and but against it for a good reason.

Of course it would but it would encourage them to drink more responsibly, especially by the time they got to the college age. If people are exposed to alcohol at an age where they're more likely to be exposed to it at home in a controlled setting, they're going to have a better respect and be able to better tolerate it when they get out on their own and are at parties with alcohol and such.

Cadet57

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:10 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 23):
They would be selling faster than we could produce if the marketing was done correctly.

Once again. Wrong. Considering its illegal to target minors in tobacco ad's. Ever wonder why Joe Camel isnt around anymore?

WESTERN737800

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:34 am

They should lower the drinking age to 18. It would cut down on the binge drinking and when people go to college they would be able to handle it better.
Bring back Western Airlines!

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:52 am

I have to ask you parents this: If we lowered the age to 18 and your kids were in high school at the time; what would you do if the dean called you at work saying they were drunk?

Hunter

stasisLAX

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:55 am

If we can send 18 year olds to war to possibly die for the U.S. government, we can let them drink. Like anyone who uses a mind-altering drug, you need to drink responsibily or face the legal consequences for your actions.

I think that anyone who is arrested for DUI should be forced to do a massive amount of community service time in a hospital trauma center or an addition recovery center - and also lose their driving privileges forever.

[Edited 2008-08-19 17:56:20]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Cadet57

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 28):
I have to ask you parents this: If we lowered the age to 18 and your kids were in high school at the time; what would you do if the dean called you at work saying they were drunk?

I have to ask you parents this: If the drinking age were the same and your kids were in college at the time; what would you do if the hospital called you at work saying they were dead from alcohol poisoning?

Whats the difference Hunter?

MaidensGator

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 am

Back in the day, they lowered the drinking age to 18 the same year I turned 18, and conveniently, they left it that way until I was way past 21. I don't have a problem with 18, 19, and 20 year olds drinking. But when I worked in a bar when the legal age was 18, we were constantly catching people 15, 16, 17 in there with their brother's ID or their sister's license or whatever. So from experience, I do think the age where people drink will trend down if they lower the legal age.

Many states did not want to raise it to 21; the Feds blackmailed the states with highway money. I agree with the old enough to fight but not drink argument. Easy way around it is to allow any active military persons to drink legally.

At my age, I don't care if they raise the limit to 30. I don't even drink myself anymore. I had my share when I was younger. But lowering the legal age would help the economy since more people could buy booze and go out to bars. And if DUI arrests go up, that spells more customers for my business. Drop it down. Everyone's a winner...  Cool
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

AA7295

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 am

Think of the TOURISM!!! So many young people here in Australia go to Europe/Canada before going to America because the legal age of drinking is 18 not 21. And by 21 people have finished uni/college and begin their careers and don't travel as long as they did when they were younger. I think it would be beneficial for tourism. I think Nevada would love an 18yo drinking age!

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:33 am

If we lowered it to 18 it would benefit all of us in some way like maidensgator said but would more accidents happen, more parties on school nights, etc.

Hunter

Cadet57

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:43 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 33):

So now its ok to lower it? What made you change your mind?

ltbewr

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:46 am

The college Presidents are suggesting a discussion (along with other ideas) of ending the Federal law that came into affect in about 1984 where if states had drinking ages under 21 they would lose a 5% reduction in their Federal road funding. This was a way to get around the US Constitution where states had the sole right to specifiy the age one can purchase alcoholic beverages.
A little history: After Federal alcohol prohibition ended in 1933, most states specified a mininum drinking age of 21, the age of adult rights including voting, to sign contracts and so on and some like NY at 18. After the Federal Constitution was amended to allow voting to age 18, all states lowered their voting and age of adult status to 18 as well. Many also lowered their drinking ages to 18 as well. By the late 1970's, the rates of DWI deaths involving 18 to 20's shot up killing 4000-5000 additional deaths and 25,000+ serious injuries a year from previous numbers. That led to the creation of MADD and pressure on Federal government and getting the ear of President Ronald Regan to come up with the law that came to be. It did reduce the DWI death rate of teens along with sticter enforcement of DWI laws in general.
Still, the culture of the USA and of many college campuses encourages alcohol use by those under 21 despite attempts including alternative activities. I think what the Colleges want to do is get out of the difficulty and futility of enforcing the current 21 age limit. Some feel it encouages general disrespect of law and law enforcement, it encourages binge drinking and the realted health, vandalism and criminal problems from it.
As to allowing states to have a lower age again, at 18 or 19, there are many issues. Still, many new laws have targeted under 21's as to alcohol use and could defer some of the problems of abuse. Some states have standards as low as .01 for under 21's vs. .08 for over 21's with loss of drivers licenses for at least 1 year or until 21 (so could lose for up to 4 years). Use of altered or other's id's by under 21's can lead to nasty fines and possible probation penalties. Stricter requirements and more difficult to alter drivers licenses also deter breaking the law.
College campuses could also make it very inconvenient and undesirable to abuse alcohol and it's related negative behaviors. Peer courts, more difficulty in accessing desired courses, fines and fees, community/college service without pay, cuts in financial aid, require counsuling if found abusing or in alcohol abuse, suspension or even dismissal for repeat violations.
Hopefully a discussion will happen to deal with the reality that those 18 to 20 are drinking anyway and to reduce the risks for all from abuse.

Daleaholic

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:51 am

My opinion on the whole situation...

The drinking age in the US should be reduced to 18. As was stated earlier in the thread, people will always drink underage and the sooner they are of legal age, the more the novelty starts to wear off. I can speak from experience. I was never denied alcohol growing up, though obviously in very small amounts whilst under 16. Having been familiar with alcohol, I didn't feel the need to drink heavily as soon as I was 18 as I had already found out what it does to you!

All this talk of more problems or accidents is rubbish. The fact the drinking age is currently 21 probably causes more problems than if it was 18 due to the fact that people are having to wait so long and have not been introduced to alcohol sensibly.

I'm too tired to carry on but my opinion has always been that the legal drinking age in the US is bullsh*t and needs sorting out. Aaah well, all the more reason for me to visit SXM... where it's 18 Big grin
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

deltaownsall

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
There positives to both and but against it for a good reason.

lolll

id agree with pretty much everything cadet has argued here...the us has major binge drinking issues and one of the strictest policies in the world. furthermore anyone whos gone to college here knows the extremely prevalent atmosphere of drinking and the fact that the majority of those kids have no idea how to drink responsibly when they get to college and thusly end up having major issues. i was allowed to drink in family/meal situations/when we were on trips abroad starting when i was about 16 and experienced social drinking quite a bit in the later yrs of high school. the result? ive never had an incident at college, while i have watched tons of my buddies and probably every girl i know that drinks have some major problems with figuring out their tolerance/how to handle alcohol responsibly.

TSS

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 am

The only reason so many young people drink so much is because it's forbidden fruit.

Agreed 100%!
Drinking became a whole lot less fun once I was of legal drinking age simply because I was no longer "getting away with something" by having a drink or two.

On a side note, the drinking age in Alabama was 19 until January 1st, 1986. Anyone who turned 19 on or before October 1st, 1985 would remain legal to drink after the age went up to 21. Since my 19th birthday was in December of 1985, there were three weeks when it was perfectly legal for me to consume alcohol followed by just under two years of me being underage again.  crazy 

So according to state law, I was a responsible adult for three weeks but reverted to being an irresponsible minor for two years thereafter.

Cadet, if we lowered the drinking age that would encourage younger people to drink.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 24):
Not really. Those who want to drink will do so regardless of the age limit in place at the time.

checkmark 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

RJdxer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:56 am

Well being  old  enough to remember the last time the law was 18, in some states and not in others. I have to say if you are old enough to vote or serve your country you are old enough to drink.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:06 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 34):

So now its ok to lower it? What made you change your mind?

I am biased. Good and the bad with it. If this were to happen, I expect high schools to introduce breath testing equipment.

Hunter

LTU932

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 1):
I think it should be lowered to 18 in the US or perhaps even to 16 for beer and wine but I didn't lose sleep over it.

You're proposing a law similar to what we have in Germany (16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits and anything else). I like it.  Wink

Seriously, I also agree that in the US, the drinking age should be lowered to 18. I mean, with 18 you're officially an adult, you can even join the army at that age, and yet you still have to wait 3 years until being legal for alcohol? It doesn't make sense.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 37):
I was never denied alcohol growing up, though obviously in very small amounts whilst under 16.

Same with me. My parents even allowed me to have some champagne on New Year's Eve since I was like 12 or so. Sometimes I'd even get a sip or two of wine and beer. Did that make me a drunk? By no means, I mean I can get drunk whenever I like, but I do it very rarely because I always fear the hangover after it.

Parents should get involved in educating their children about alcohol. It has worked in Germany for many years, so why shouldn't it work in the United States as well. Hell, some parents in the US probably even teach their kids about the responsible use of a gun before they're legal to drink.

The idea of a federal drinking age, while unconstitutional in the US from what I read, is a good one from the Reagan administration, however why so drastic with setting it at 21? People can vote in an election, join the army and probably even legally own a gun at 18, and in some states people can legally drive at only 16, so why this ridiculous limit of 21 for alcohol?

The Reagan administration should have set the limit at 18, and force schools and parents to teach their kids responsible drinking and about the dangers of abusing alcohol, not prohibit and risk that kids get drunk all the time and then suffer from the consequences later down the road.

StarAC17

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:43 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 40):
I am biased. Good and the bad with it. If this were to happen, I expect high schools to introduce breath testing equipment.

It's 19 in Ontario and when I was finishing high school it was a 5 year program and people with early birthdays like myself were 19 in the second term. I had never once seen someone drunk in school and believe me had it happened it would have been huge. They could have been hungover but that is hardly the same thing as actually being drunk,

Same with in university, no one was really drunk in class or during exams that would have created a problem. They are hurting themselves when they do stuff like that.

Young people have the sense to know after the first time they are drunk what times this is acceptable and when it isn't (they may think its OK if their parents go to work drunk). For being in this age group I don't think you are giving the people your age enough credit in doing the right thing.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

vikkyvik

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:44 am

Quoting QFA380 (Thread starter):
What say you, are the college presidents right and the US in need of reform?

I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18.

I actually disagree with that, only because it's a blanket statement. Obviously, alcohol is attractive initially in part because it's illegal, but it was also attractive due to simply being a damn good time. And I have had a damn good time drinking, both underage and legal.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 10):
I think the key when it comes to drinking is education.

checkmark  Education is the key to just about everything.

Um. Kids being drunk at school is illegal regardless of whether they are underage or not.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 39):
I have to say if you are old enough to vote or serve your country you are old enough to drink.

checkmark 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:11 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 41):
You're proposing a law similar to what we have in Germany (16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits and anything else). I like it

That's where I got the idea - I was in Germany just over a month ago and my sister was excited she could have beer and wine having just recently turned 16 but couldn't have the hard stuff yet. I think Germany has a pretty good system over there when it comes to drinking.  Smile

Um, the same thing that would happen if someone showed up to work drunk....they'd be in serious trouble. On top of that, I've seen students, underage and legal age, drunk and hungover in class in college on more than one occasion. What's the difference? Also, high school students who turn 18 can smoke but still get in trouble if they're caught smoking on campus.

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 32):
I think it would be beneficial for tourism. I think Nevada would love an 18yo drinking age!

Nevada could do it if they wished - they would just lose federal highway funding in the process.

For those of you who are under 21 and in the US military, you can go to Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, Texas where the drinking age on base is 18. The base commander was smart enough to realize the young airmen who weren't old enough to drink in the US would go across the border to Mexico and drink there. This caused multiple problems - people trying to get back into the US while drunk and plus the town across the border wasn't exactly the safest city in Mexico. So the base commander at one point got the drinking age on base lowered to 18 so the airmen under 21 could drink in a safer and more controlled environment.

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:39 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 44):
What's the difference? Also, high school students who turn 18 can smoke but still get in trouble if they're caught smoking on campus.

Well a DUI at the age of 18 will put you in serious debt. More trouble than its worth but also more business for the lawyers and newspaper. In addition, should this happen, I expect all schools to have waiver saying that the students will not drink during the week.

Hunter

Cadet57

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 45):
Well a DUI at the age of 18 will put you in serious debt. More trouble than its worth but also more business for the lawyers and newspaper. In addition, should this happen, I expect all schools to have waiver saying that the students will not drink during the week.

A DUI at ANY age will screw you over financially. And what do newspapers have to do with a DUI?

Mir

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:44 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 1):
The big argument about lowering the drinking age to 18 in the US is always "you can fight and die for your country at 18 but you can't buy a beer".

That's one of the arguments, and yes it is absolutely ridiculous that you can be deemed responsible enough to serve your country and possibly lose your life in the process but not deemed responsible enough to handle a beer.

But moreover it's just common sense. If people get over their binge drinking phase while under the supervision of their parents, then they can just drink socially in college.

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 4):
Look most other countries are 18 as well.

Most European countries are lower than that, I believe.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 26):
Ever wonder why Joe Camel isnt around anymore?

Didn't he die of lung cancer?  Wink

I'd kick their ass over it. Which is a better option than me doing nothing because I never found out about them being drunk and putting their lives in danger in the first place because they're on their own in college.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 41):
You're proposing a law similar to what we have in Germany (16 for beer and wine, 18 for spirits and anything else

Now that's a law that makes sense.  bigthumbsup 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:47 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 47):

A DUI at ANY age will screw you over financially. And what do newspapers have to do with a DUI?

Well if High schoolers start getting DUI's there is going to be press involved doing interviews and reports on why this is happening.

Hunter

LTU932

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 46):
Most European countries are lower than that, I believe.

While I'm not familiar with the law in other EU countries, I presume that maybe in Italy, Spain and France you could at least start drinking wine at 16 or so, because wine has a very deep tradition within the people and the country's culture, plus maybe because a glass of wine a day is good for the heart. But don't quote me on that.