ouboy79

OKC Skyline Goes Higher

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Devon Energy rolled out their plans today finally for their new HQ in Downtown Oklahoma City. The building will be 54 stories, primarily glass, and will be among the top 20 tallest buildings in the country. Completion will be in 2012, about the same time other major projects will be done or coming to a close - Ford Center Arena upgrades for the NBA Team, the I-40 relocation about a half mile south of its present location, etc.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/08/20/ap5342588.html

http://www.newsok.com/article/3286266/

Here are some pictures taken/uploaded by a local OKC blogger who posts on OKCTalk.com.

This image is a bit bigger, so will just link it...this is the floor plan looking down:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...esskit_10_siteplanbuildingview.jpg

Boeing757/767

RE: OKC Skyline Goes Higher

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 pm

I love it!

By the way, what NBA team is moving there?
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

UAL747

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting Boeing757/767 (Reply 1):
what NBA team is moving there?

Seattle Sonics....

Nice to see the new addition to downtown OKC, but completion in 2012? That's pretty soon!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

TWFirst

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Very nice design... but I don't see how a 54 story building could be one of the top 20 tallest buildings in the country.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

HOMER71

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 3):
I don't see how a 54 story building could be one of the top 20 tallest buildings in the country.

It's going to be around 925 feet tall...so a very tall lobby and/or tall slab-to-slab heights
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

UAL747

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 pm

There are several buildings in the US with only 50-55 stories that rank as some of the tallest buildings in the US. Remember, the number of floors doesn't always equal height.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

HOMER71

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Correct UAL...look at Comcast Center (tallest building in Philly) - 975 feet/57 floors
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

dtwclipper

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 6):
Correct UAL...look at Comcast Center (tallest building in Philly) - 975 feet/57 floors

or the Detroit Marriott which has 70 floors but is only 727 feet (221m).*

Still the tallest hotel in North America and 12th in the world.

http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/ty/ho/
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

MOBflyer

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:05 pm

That is awesome! Major projects such as those are major source of local unity/pride in the community. The RSA Tower in Mobile is the tallest building on the Gulf Coast outside of Houston (including New Orleans, Tampa, and Ft. Myers) and is the tallest building in Alabama. I recall how we very much anticipated its crowning and such. (Though two hurricanes delayed its completion significantly.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 7):

Still the tallest hotel in North America and 12th in the world.

I guess you mean tallest hotel-only building? The RSA Tower in Mobile is 35 stories, the bottom ten of which are of the Battlehouse Hotel. It is 745 feet tall.

ouboy79

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Some more information here: http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral

One of the parts I like is they will connect to the Myriad Botanical Gardens, and help to expand and update it to make it all blend together. The Myriad Gardens is best known for their Crystal Bridge (tube) building.

Some other pics from Doug's site...

This is the main rotunda area, which will be public access. The flecting pool that surrounds the tower is on the right.

Scale wise...here is how it fits into Downtown OKC. The tallest building there now is on the right of this picture, the Chase Center.

ouboy79

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Double post.

f iller

[Edited 2008-08-20 15:09:11]

N1120A

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 8):

I guess you mean tallest hotel-only building? The RSA Tower in Mobile is 35 stories, the bottom ten of which are of the Battlehouse Hotel. It is 745 feet tall.

The "height" of that tower is a joke. A huge portion of the height is unusable, unlike One Shell Square. Nevertheless, Trump New Orleans will be taller.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ouboy79

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Quoting MOBflyer (Reply 8):
That is awesome! Major projects such as those are major source of local unity/pride in the community. The RSA Tower in Mobile is the tallest building on the Gulf Coast outside of Houston (including New Orleans, Tampa, and Ft. Myers) and is the tallest building in Alabama. I recall how we very much anticipated its crowning and such. (Though two hurricanes delayed its completion significantly.

Definitely. Ideally this will prove to be a huge catalyst to get the Core2Shore project moving. In 2012 when I-40 is relocated further south of Downtown, the land area of the central business district will be almost doubled. The plans are quite extensive. The next major project that will probably start close to the time the other projects are finished, is the new mass transit/light rail system in the early stages now.

The first map is the existing view from above with the new road/highway layouts. The "new at-grade blvd" is the current I-40 location which is completely elevated right now. The new I-40 to the south will be below grade and much wider than the current 6 lanes it is right by downtown.

http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/core_to_shore_full_size_map.jpg

This is the redevelopment concent in place now. Obviously it doesn't have the new Devon Tower in it, but the location will be at the top of the graphic (in the middle) just north of the Myriad Gardens...or "southwest" of the R in redevelopment.

The plans include a new convention center, a new "central park" like area, and additional hotel/residential/commercial properties all the way to the "shore" of the Oklahoma River.

http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/visuals/September07_Land_Use.jpg

Here is a video from the state of the city speech this year with fly throughts and better graphics to give the feel of the type of building they want there.

http://www.okc.gov/ch_20/CC20Programs/c2sSOC.wmv

UAL747

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 am

OKC is really focusing on downtown at the moment, which I think is really great. If anyone remembers downtown 20 years ago, there was nothing of interest there, aside from the Myriad. It was basically a ghost town, with everything being North of downtown in areas like Penn Square, and recently in areas like Quail Springs, where I live. Huge growth over here.

But, we need a great downtown and it started with the MAPS project and I hope we start to see more movement back toward the downtown area for business, residential, and commercial real-estate. I still remember when bricktown was just old warehouses, now look at it. (Though I try to avoid it because it is so crowded and full of out-of-towners).

Glad to see we are moving forward, and awesome video. Especially with Gershwin in the background.

UAL

MOBflyer

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:36 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
The "height" of that tower is a joke. A huge portion of the height is unusable, unlike One Shell Square. Nevertheless, Trump New Orleans will be taller.

The crown is unusable, but that doesn't constitute a "huge" portion of the height. What did you mean?

Trump New Orleans will be taller, and truth be told, MSY and BHM should theoretically have larger buildings than MOB, due to sheer size and white collar industry.

However, RSA is interested in more downtown development, including some plans that could surpass the RSA Tower in magnitude.

MSYtristar

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:11 pm

A 925 footer for OKC....damn. Many cities would love to have one that tall.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
huge portion of the height is unusable, unlike One Shell Square

All 51 floors of one One Shell Square are in commercial use. Of course, the building is ugly as sin, but they have a lot going on in that building....although Place St. Charles has it beat in terms of amenities.

ABQ747

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Quoting Ouboy79 (Thread starter):
The building will be 54 stories, primarily glass, and will be among the top 20 tallest buildings in the country.

That looks awesome! ABQ will be getting a new skyscraper soon also. It is called The Residences at Packard Place, and will be 40 stories and about 500-550 feet tall. It is a twin-tower design, and construction should start next summer.
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

ouboy79

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 16):
That looks awesome! ABQ will be getting a new skyscraper soon also. It is called The Residences at Packard Place, and will be 40 stories and about 500-550 feet tall. It is a twin-tower design, and construction should start next summer.

One of the benefits of being in the middle of the country away from the harder hit portions of the country.

Alias1024

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Congrats to OKC. That's an impressive looking building.

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 16):

Only 30 floors. Ground level with retail, 8 floors of parking, community floor, and 20 floors of condos above that. It will still be the tallest building in downtown ABQ, and looks like it could have a lot of empty space toward the top of the towers which will add to the height.
http://www.bluedotcorporation.com/development_pages/packardplace.htm
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

UAL747

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:01 pm

OUboy79,

So by judging on the digital image of the building, the eastern side will run along EK Gaylord and will be placed south of the Scirvin? Is that correct? There is a parking garage there (i think), so will that be demolished?

UAL

ouboy79

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:09 am

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 19):
So by judging on the digital image of the building, the eastern side will run along EK Gaylord and will be placed south of the Scirvin? Is that correct? There is a parking garage there (i think), so will that be demolished?

Wrong side of Downtown.

It will be along Sheridan on the south, across from the Myriad...the Colcord Hotel to the east...parking garage on the north...and Hudson on the west.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...262406480646.000455010650c475f7578

The garage on the north side will have 5 additional decks added to it on the west side I believe. The first level will then be converted to some retail, but also a health club for employees.

af773atmsp

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 am

I wish Minneapolis would have a taller building. The three tallest buildings in Minneapolis seems to be the same height (around 50 floors).
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

ABQ747

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:57 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 18):
Only 30 floors. Ground level with retail, 8 floors of parking, community floor, and 20 floors of condos above that. It will still be the tallest building in downtown ABQ, and looks like it could have a lot of empty space toward the top of the towers which will add to the height.

Blue Dot Corporation has been saying they want Packard Place to be at least 30 stories. The ABQ City Council recently approved plans for a 40 floor 500 foot tall twin-tower design.   Blue Dot needs to update its website.

Some guy who claims to work for the City of Albuquerque has posted some information about it in the City-Data forums:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...rque/343841-abq-10-15-years-8.html

[Edited 2008-08-21 18:22:33]
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

Alias1024

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 22):
The ABQ City Council recently approved plans for a 40 floor 500 foot tall twin-tower design.   Blue Dot needs to update its website.

Very interesting. I wonder what other large projects are on the horizon for downtown ABQ. It makes sense to build up since the city is boxed in on 3 sides, limiting the potential to grow out.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Super80DFW

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:40 pm

That will top the Bank of America Tower in Dallas by about 2-3 feet. What will happen with the Tower that Devon is in now? Does Devon own the current tower, or do the lease/rent space?
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

ouboy79

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:31 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 24):
That will top the Bank of America Tower in Dallas by about 2-3 feet. What will happen with the Tower that Devon is in now? Does Devon own the current tower, or do the lease/rent space?

It's leased, and Devon actually has space in 5 buildings downtown. They are working with the owners and city officials to make sure they are filled when the Devon Tower is done. Their CEO is an extremely Pro-OKC minded person. His biggest concern is what it would do to office space in the CBD. It is also the reasoning why he is making it a point that portions of the building are public, the upgrades to the Myriad Gardens are done, and even purchased the Colcord Hotel next to the site to ensure its future.

And yes...the Devon Tower is taller than anything in Dallas right now.

Super80DFW

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Would DELL possibly want to add extra office in the buildings in Downtown, or would they stay at their current campus?
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

UAL747

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 26):
Would DELL possibly want to add extra office in the buildings in Downtown, or would they stay at their current campus?

Dell bought plenty of land to expand their campus west of downtown. They seem to prefer the campus-like structure over tall buildings because all of their call centers/corporate offices and campus communities.

Plus, Dell's facility in OKC is brand new and has an A and B wing with proposals to create the C wing in the near future, however, I think they laid some people off not too long ago. Dell will stay where it is for quite some time unless something drastically changes.

Personally, I think that Chesapeake may be looking for some downtown property in the near future, even though they have a HUGE beautiful campus SE of Nichols Hills. Also, I think we will see residential towers going out, but not on the scale of the Devon Tower. The only high-end residential tower we have is "The 360" which is the circular tower on 63rd and May, about miles from downtown, near Baptist Hospital. Used to be called "United Founders Tower."

UAL

Super80DFW

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:31 am

I know there is the Cox Convention Center in Downtown, where is the actual corporate headquarters of Cox? It may not even be in Oklahoma.

ouboy79

Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:40 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 27):
Plus, Dell's facility in OKC is brand new and has an A and B wing with proposals to create the C wing in the near future, however, I think they laid some people off not too long ago. Dell will stay where it is for quite some time unless something drastically changes.

Dell is down to around 1000 employees at the OKC campus now, down from the 2500 they were once at. Majority of the building B is empty, and plans for building C are scrapped unless things turn around. What you see what you'll get in OKC for awhile. But yes...they have no desire to be downtown as their campus has the ability to handle 7 buildings of comparable size.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 27):
Personally, I think that Chesapeake may be looking for some downtown property in the near future, even though they have a HUGE beautiful campus SE of Nichols Hills. Also, I think we will see residential towers going out, but not on the scale of the Devon Tower. The only high-end residential tower we have is "The 360" which is the circular tower on 63rd and May, about miles from downtown, near Baptist Hospital. Used to be called "United Founders Tower."

Chesapeake is happy where they are, and they are continuing to pour more money into expanding their campus and reveloping that part of town. Sources close to people in the know there have consistantly stated there is no desire to go downtown.

I would say the next company to watch will be Sandridge Energy as they continue to grow. Also feel that as well move down the road here a few years, more alternative energy or natural gas companies will pop up and locate downtown. The Devon Tower will likely be a catalyst there and will help anchor the Core2Shore project.

Residential is definitely needed too, but nothing on the plans yet. Would like to see more lofts and such in Bricktown in the buildings that are still empty before residential towers start. Also, there is a glut of Class B and C office space down there that would be a good target for conversion to residential. Class A space, like what Devon occupies now, is very full and really needed...so that is another reason why the Tower won't do much to hurt downtown rates.

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 28):
I know there is the Cox Convention Center in Downtown, where is the actual corporate headquarters of Cox? It may not even be in Oklahoma.

They are based in Atlanta. Cox is nationwide.

http://www.cox.com/support/?gothere=/contactsup/

UAL747

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 29):
Also, there is a glut of Class B and C office space down there that would be a good target for conversion to residential.

I've always thought about this as well. Other than the apartments and lofts near bricktown, there is nothing directly downtown that is residential. (Regency Tower could be considered, but it's rather north, but they have completely re-done the entire building).

There is the City Place building that has that "Empire State" building look to it, that has a FANTASTIC lobby. Very Art Deco.... Anyway, I always thought it would be an interesting building for a residential community.

UAL

Oh, and you are right Building B at Dell has been very empty. But my point being is that Dell has plenty of room to expand if the choose to do so. The rumor back in 2006-7 was that they were ready to build building C, but I guess those plans have changed. (It was also just a rumor).

N1120A

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:32 pm

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 17):
One of the benefits of being in the middle of the country away from the harder hit portions of the country.

Huh? Want to explain that?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

steeler83

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 6):
look at Comcast Center (tallest building in Philly) - 975 feet/57 floors

And that is a VERY nice building! You know they want to build one even taller right across the street from it? It will be named American Commerce Center, and will be the 3rd tallest building in the country, at 63 floors and 1210 feet tall to the roof; 1500 feet to its spire...

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 15):

A 925 footer for OKC....damn. Many cities would love to have one that tall.

It would be nice to see something that tall in Pittsburgh, but I think the US Steel Building (64 floors, 841 feet tall) will reign as the current tallest for centuries to come. That is one city that is going nowhere fast...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ouboy79

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:49 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
Huh? Want to explain that?

I think the steady economies of the areas in the south central US speak enough about that. OKC was also named #1 most recession proof in the nation by Forbes a few weeks ago. Stable housing market, growing wages, low unemployment, and growing businesses...all definitely help.

Now granted, I just wish my house didn't go up $30K in value in the last year...property taxes hurt.