QANTAS077
Topic Author

Morocco, Anyone Been?

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:30 pm

so I've just booked a ticket for Morocco as part of my Europe in early 2009, anyone been and does anyone have any hotel/hostel recommendations and cities that I should visit?

signol

RE: Morocco, Anyone Been?

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:54 pm

A friend is from Rabat, he says it's a fantastic place, right on the beach. Another friend went cycling in the Atlas mountains. You will need to know some Arabic or French to get by...
I've visited Tangier for a day trip from Spain, and personally didn't like it much - nothing remarkable in terms of sights, and hoards of hawkers hassling you. But I do recognise that this is not typical of the whole country. www.seat61.com has a Morocco section on getting around the country by rail.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Beaucaire

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:57 pm

Morocco is an extremely large and diversified country- from beaches on the Atlantic and Mediterranean via high mountainous regions( medium and high-Atlas..),dessert zones,imperial cities ,tourist-traps -you name it -all is here !
If you have say two weeks- I'd absolutely spend five days touring the most important "Villes Imperiales" like Marrakech,Fez,Meknes,Rabat or Tétuan.
Casablanca is interesting but not the most important tourist attraction( but the business capital of the country )
I'd definitely spend two-to three days in Marrekech ,but be aware that the city is very "trendy" with all the negatives that comprises.(Tourist-ripp-off's,pocket thieves..) but despite that a marvellous atmoshpere of history,smells (the famous "Place Jemâa el Fna" with all it's folklorist stands..) the "souk" or covered market ( you have to bargain at least 35%..) -the famous old palces,mosques-weel three days will be quickly over..
Then rent a car and drive one of the most sceenic routes on earth from Marrakech via the Atlas mountains to Ouarzazate and the Drâa valley- un unforgettable trip over kasbah-villages ,mountain-roads,olive-yards and wadi's 'dried river beds..)
The area of Ouarzazate is the theater of many movie-shootings (Lawrance of Arabia..)
Prior to that you should visit Fez (very beautiful old medina..) and /or Rabat but also the Atlantic port of Essaouira have been used for many film-back-stages..
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

QANTAS077
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 pm

I have 8 days and that's it, landing in Casablanca and will probably stay just the night there, where should I head to from there? south for Essaouira or east for Marrakech or north east for Fez & Meknes then down to Marrakech? I need to be in Marrakech for my flight back to Barcelona.

Beaucaire

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:30 pm

First day-Casablanca - gone
Second day- rent a car to Rabat (Casablanca-Rabat only 50 km ) -then in the late afternoon drive Rabat to Marrakech (about 4-5 hours )
Third day - Marrakech
Forth day- Marrakech
Fifth day- Marrakech-Ourzazate via the Atlas mountains
Sixth day-Vallé de la Drâa -Zagora
Seventh day-return Marrakech
Eigth day-return BCN

QANTAS077
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:06 pm

not sure I'm willing to hire a car in Morocco, the train & bus system look quite good.

waterpolodan

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Thread starter):
I've visited Tangier for a day trip from Spain, and personally didn't like it much - nothing remarkable in terms of sights, and hoards of hawkers hassling you

I also flew to Tangier from Spain for 2 days a few years ago, definitely interesting but not a place I'd want to return to necessarily.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Thread starter):
cities that I should visit?

-
Top one = Fez
But not to be missed = Rabat, the beautiful old town, which is the Capital
Modern but fascinating and beautiful = Casablanca
Very nice = Tangiers
-

YVRLTN

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:48 am

Quoting Signol (Reply 1):
You will need to know some Arabic or French to get by...

checkmark  but your flag is French so I guess youre fine. And dont bother staying around Casablanca if you dont have much time. I stayed in the Best Western Toubkal (I think...) - not too great...

I was fascinated by the old French cars from the 70's and the trucks, some of which dated back to WW2.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

QANTAS077
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:46 am

thanks all, won't language issues so thats ok, anyone take any kind of tour from Marrakech to the Atlas Mts, if so, what do you recommend? or is the grand taxi option best?

Beaucaire

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:21 am

http://www.marrakech-hotels.info/marrakech/bus-taxi.htm#Cars

http://voyageforum.com/voyage/maroc_..._bus_marrakech_ouarzazate_D715613/

Busses to Oarzazate ( about ten/day ) are relatively cheap- about 10-12 $ ..
Shared taxis will most likely be double - Busses are more fun in that you will encounter the locals in all their natural splendor..